Disable Edit menu in game?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RaketMusli #1 Posted May 11 2017 - 00:58

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

I have noticed there is significant lag/stutter when controlling the tank while having the Alt-key pressed to view alternative OTM, minimap features etc.

I'm guessing this is because the Windows Alt-key is mapped to ⌘-key on Mac keyboards and these combinations then trigger the "Edit" menu items; ⌘+A = "Select all", ⌘+C = "Copy", and so forth.

Is there a convenient way of either remapping the Windows Alt-key to something else (⌥ for example) in the wine bottle or disable the edit menu all together? I struggle to see any use for these shortcuts in the game anyway.

For real fun – try voice com with your platoon mates (Q-key) while having enabled extended minimap features (⌘-key)...

Edited by RaketMusli, May 11 2017 - 01:01.

black_colt #2 Posted May 11 2017 - 02:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostRaketMusli, on May 10 2017 - 15:58, said:

I have noticed there is significant lag/stutter when controlling the tank while having the Alt-key pressed to view alternative OTM, minimap features etc.

I'm guessing this is because the Windows Alt-key is mapped to ⌘-key on Mac keyboards and these combinations then trigger the "Edit" menu items; ⌘+A = "Select all", ⌘+C = "Copy", and so forth.

Is there a convenient way of either remapping the Windows Alt-key to something else (⌥ for example) in the wine bottle or disable the edit menu all together? I struggle to see any use for these shortcuts in the game anyway.

For real fun – try voice com with your platoon mates (Q-key) while having enabled extended minimap features (⌘-key)...

I have found the following article to be of help when you are using an MS Windows keyboard on a Mac as it shows you how to remap commands to different keys.

https://9to5mac.com/...tch-mac-layout/

Hope this helps ...

RaketMusli #3 Posted May 11 2017 - 23:23

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postblack_colt, on May 11 2017 - 02:07, said:

I have found the following article to be of help when you are using an MS Windows keyboard on a Mac as it shows you how to remap commands to different keys.

Remapping the keys in mac os wont help, as the problem lies in the fact that the key representing the -key is intrepreted as the "Alt"-key by the wrapper/game. This is regardless of labelling on key-caps or keyboard brand.

One then needs to either disable the useless MacOS shortcuts in the wrapper or make the useful alternative view modes in game be triggered by some other key. The game itself does not allow changing this in settings AFAIK.

RaketMusli #4 Posted May 11 2017 - 23:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostRaketMusli, on May 11 2017 - 23:23, said:

One then needs to either disable the useless MacOS shortcuts in the wrapper or make the useful alternative view modes in game be triggered by some other key. 

I found this old post describing "A solution for the Wine Mac driver": http://www.columbia....winekeymap.html

I've tested plunking the linked "winemac.drv.so" straight into the WOT wrapper* and to my amazement – it does work!

Wierdly, this hack puts both "windows Alt" onto the -key and disables the Edit menu.

I've poked around a bit in the wrapper source code and it seems the guys at codeweavers added stuff to enable the Edit menu which vanilla wine doesnt have. (The hacked driver is based on plain wine AFAIK).

When/if I can manage to compile the driver myself, I'll hopefully be able to get a version of the driver with just the menu disabled. (The ⌥-key is totally suboptimal wrt ergonomics!)

*)The file to replace is this:

/Applications/World of Tanks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/worldoftanks/lib/wine/winemac.drv.so

Edited by RaketMusli, May 11 2017 - 23:27.

black_colt #5 Posted May 11 2017 - 23:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostRaketMusli, on May 11 2017 - 14:24, said:

I found this old post describing "A solution for the Wine Mac driver": http://www.columbia....winekeymap.html

I've tested plunking the linked "winemac.drv.so" straight into the WOT wrapper* and to my amazement – it does work!

Wierdly, this hack puts both "windows Alt" onto the -key and disables the Edit menu.

I've poked around a bit in the wrapper source code and it seems the guys at codeweavers added stuff to enable the Edit menu which vanilla wine doesnt have. (The hacked driver is based on plain wine AFAIK).

When/if I can manage to compile the driver myself, I'll hopefully be able to get a version of the driver with just the menu disabled. (The ⌥-key is totally suboptimal wrt ergonomics!)

*)The file to replace is this:

/Applications/World of Tanks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/worldoftanks/lib/wine/winemac.drv.so

Nice research and thanks for posting - let the thread know how the re-compile goes.

Edited by black_colt, May 11 2017 - 23:34.

RaketMusli #6 Posted May 12 2017 - 13:33

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postblack_colt, on May 11 2017 - 23:33, said:

Nice research and thanks for posting - let the thread know how the re-compile goes.

Fortunately, the good folks at winehq seem to keep a smooth building system, so following the simplified how-to* worked fine. 

If anyone wants to DIY – the wrapper seems to need the 32-bit lib, so no dont enable win64. (This might be different using the HD client, IDK?)

I'll attach my version of the driver. It goes into the wrapper in the path as above post.

This one has the Edit menu disabled and shortcut for "Quit worldoftanks" is changed to "⌥⌘Q", so there's less frustration for ppl using platoon voice com. Otherwise key-mapping is same as default, ⌘-key gives alternative view mode, etc. 

But mind you, I havent done much testing – only played a few battles!

If anyone tries this driver and experiences any issue, pls report here. (Although it's unlikely I'll be able to do anything about it!) ;)

*) https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Plain_Vanilla_Compiling

Attached Files

• Attached File   winemac.drv.so.zip   265.83K

Edited by RaketMusli, May 12 2017 - 14:22.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users