7 replies to this topic

Gaborsky #1 Posted May 13 2017 - 01:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 12473 battles
  • [XTERM] XTERM

RA tank question.JPG

Hello tankers,

I just unlocked my e50m the other day, and I love customizing my tier X vehicles with inscriptions, flags and camo. I've taken a few years of German, so I understand what most of the Inscriptions mean, but one that struck me as my favorite on that tank is the one that I can not figure out: the RA inscription. 

For those WW2 history enthusiasts, this is a challenging question that might stump you guys, as it did me. A bit of a background first:

I did my research on german number schemes, and basically the following is what I found: they used a 3 digit number system: the first number is the Company, 2nd number is the platoon, 3rd number is the tank.

For example, the famous Tiger 1 tank from Fury was tank 113: it belonged to the 1st regiment, 1st platoon, and was the 3rd tank in that platoon. 

For regimental tanks, the first digit they used was R, so regimental tank #1 would be R01. 

Here is where it gets confusing. I can not find a single source that explains the RA inscription. I know of no precedent that a German tank in WW2 would be "numbered" with letters, let alone follow a 2 digit format. 

I will probably put on this sticker regardless of the meaning as I think it looks really cool, but I was just wondering if anyone knows about this scheme/significance. 

For those of you who are wondering, I'm Hungarian so I put the Hungarian flag on the other side, and the white double cross is a sigile used by Hungary on its flag, as well as some of the surrounding countries in the Carpathian basin area. 

Cheers,

-Gaborsky

TsarCidron #2 Posted May 13 2017 - 01:53

Major

• Players
  • 5981 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM
Maybe Wargaming just made something up? 

_Schneller_Heinz_ #3 Posted May 13 2017 - 02:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1931 battles

View PostGaborsky, on May 13 2017 - 01:39, said:

RA tank question.JPG

Hello tankers,

I just unlocked my e50m the other day, and I love customizing my tier X vehicles with inscriptions, flags and camo. I've taken a few years of German, so I understand what most of the Inscriptions mean, but one that struck me as my favorite on that tank is the one that I can not figure out: the RA inscription. 

For those WW2 history enthusiasts, this is a challenging question that might stump you guys, as it did me. A bit of a background first:

I did my research on german number schemes, and basically the following is what I found: they used a 3 digit number system: the first number is the Company, 2nd number is the platoon, 3rd number is the tank.

For example, the famous Tiger 1 tank from Fury was tank 113: it belonged to the 1st regiment, 1st platoon, and was the 3rd tank in that platoon. 

For regimental tanks, the first digit they used was R, so regimental tank #1 would be R01. 

Here is where it gets confusing. I can not find a single source that explains the RA inscription. I know of no precedent that a German tank in WW2 would be "numbered" with letters, let alone follow a 2 digit format. 

I will probably put on this sticker regardless of the meaning as I think it looks really cool, but I was just wondering if anyone knows about this scheme/significance. 

For those of you who are wondering, I'm Hungarian so I put the Hungarian flag on the other side, and the white double cross is a sigile used by Hungary on its flag, as well as some of the surrounding countries in the Carpathian basin area. 

Cheers,

-Gaborsky

There is no surprise that wargaming just made it up!

Edited by _Schneller_Heinz_, May 13 2017 - 02:28.

Mad_Dog_Seabee #4 Posted May 13 2017 - 02:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8049 battles
  • [-RG--] -RG--

My boss and friend is Hungarian-American. 

What I could find, which seems remote but it's worth a shot.

https://forum.axishi...ic.php?t=104408

Possibly a tank used in Airfield Defense.

Panzer254 #5 Posted May 22 2017 - 01:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 60227 battles
  • [R8DER] R8DER

would look right with the numbers on the panzers

Gaborsky #6 Posted May 28 2017 - 08:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 12473 battles
  • [XTERM] XTERM

View PostMad_Dog_Seabee, on May 13 2017 - 01:26, said:

My boss and friend is Hungarian-American. 

What I could find, which seems remote but it's worth a shot.

https://forum.axishi...ic.php?t=104408

Possibly a tank used in Airfield Defense.

from the link, I googled RA and it stands for Royal Artillery.... hmmmm, i'm not sure why WG decided to have a British sticker as an option for German tanks

mrmojo #7 Posted May 28 2017 - 09:56

Captain

• Players
  • 17879 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-

Hover over the RA in inscriptions.

It means Regiment(al) Doctor.

Artz = Doctor in German

Baktus #8 Posted Jul 01 2017 - 14:00

Private

• Players
  • 28231 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR
I think you might got it a bit wrong regarding the numbering of vehicles.
R01 would indicate a tank belonging to the regimental command - usually the commanders tank if choosed to use it.
The Germans organized the regiment mostly in 2 or 3 battalions (Abteilung) - so the battalion commanders tank would have the roman I 01. A tank 131 would indicate 1st company, 3rd platoon - tank 1 (platoon leader), to find to which regiment it belongs you would have to look a tactical sign at the front of the vehicle.
I hope you could understand me - English is not my first language, lol

Also tagged with german, e50m, question, inscriptions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users