Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Weslinator #1 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV
Ok, so I'm on a vehicle/truck hunt (no, that is not my truck in the profile pic, wish it was though). This will be my first vehicle. I am looking in the 4 grand range. But I have a relative that offered me his truck for $850. But it needs brake work, wheel barrings, locks don't work (I am in a small town so I probably would leave it unlocked thought) AC doesn't work (Won't need that until late fall/winter), Steering is loose but still drivable. The 4X4 works, but not with the wheels on it (Might not use it, but maybe if we get a big snow here in Northwest WA). Maybe New Tires. I can do my own oil change. The transfer fluid would have to be replaced. Wipers don't work on low only high. Some Tune up work and the differential. Is it worth buying it? I would really like it and buy it anyways. Any advice would help. Thanks

Gothraul #2 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 1263 battles
Sounds like a real money pit, I wouldn't buy it unless you can fix just enough to go off roading with it. If you can get something that doesn't need so much work in your price range it would do you a lot of good in the end.

Havock_1 #3 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12589 battles
You will find that you wont get much for four K. If you do,it will need some work. 8 or 9 hundred? Ah craptone of work.

Edited by Havock_1, May 19 2017 - 01:48.

StoveBolt54 #4 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12727 battles
Elbow grease is free. 

My new truck is a '69 Chevy C-20.

My old one is a '54 Chevy 3100.

Havock_1 #5 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12589 battles

If you have the time, money, tools and the place to work on it. Go man. They don't make them like they used to.

Havock_1 #6 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12589 battles

View PostWeslinator, on May 18 2017 - 19:39, said:

Ok, so I'm on a vehicle/truck hunt (no, that is not my truck in the profile pic, wish it was though). This will be my first vehicle. I am looking in the 4 grand range. But I have a relative that offered me his truck for $850. But it needs brake work, wheel barrings, locks don't work (I am in a small town so I probably would leave it unlocked thought) AC doesn't work (Won't need that until late fall/winter), Steering is loose but still drivable. The 4X4 works, but not with the wheels on it (Might not use it, but maybe if we get a big snow here in Northwest WA). Maybe New Tires. I can do my own oil change. The transfer fluid would have to be replaced. Wipers don't work on low only high. Some Tune up work and the differential. Is it worth buying it? I would really like it and buy it anyways. Any advice would help. Thanks

How rusted is it?

Weslinator #7 Posted May 19 2017 - 01:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

Block Quote

You will find that you wont get much for four K. If you do,it will need some work. 8 or 9 hundred? Ah craptone of work. 

It is my first vehicle. I want to work on trucks, but don't know much about them but my Uncle does and I want to learn how to.

Block Quote

How rusted is it? 

Haven't seen it, but last time I saw, it wasn't (Wasn't really looking for it). So no. Our vehicles around here don't get rusty, we don't use salt on our roads when it is icy.

Gothraul #8 Posted May 19 2017 - 02:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 1263 battles

View PostStoveBolt54, on May 19 2017 - 01:47, said:

Elbow grease is free. 

My new truck is a '69 Chevy C-20.

My old one is a '54 Chevy 3100.

At least those are easy to work on and are worth it, pre electronics is a huge plus because you can't kill them unlike the modern cars/trucks that are easily hackable thanks to stuff like blue tooth. 

StoveBolt54 #9 Posted May 19 2017 - 02:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12727 battles

View PostGothraul, on May 18 2017 - 18:10, said:

At least those are easy to work on and are worth it, pre electronics is a huge plus because you can't kill them unlike the modern cars/trucks that are easily hackable thanks to stuff like blue tooth. 

+1 Grothraul.

OP, need detail on the year, make and model.

tod914 #10 Posted May 19 2017 - 02:35

Captain

• Players
  • 47016 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS
Ask your uncle to do a Pre-purchase inspection for you.  Add up all the costs of the parts/repairs and go from there.  I'd be inclined to go with one that needs less work.  The local craigslist here has a fair amount of vehicles in the 4k range.  Decent amount of which are trucks.  Again, you'll need to have them inspected before purchase.  Can't emphasize that enough.  Side note, what ever you decide to pursue, investigate what the known problem areas are for the car or truck. 

Edited by tod914, May 19 2017 - 02:45.

NiteDog #11 Posted May 19 2017 - 02:44

Major

• Players
  • 25601 battles

View Posttod914, on May 18 2017 - 17:35, said:

investigate what the known problem areas are for the car or truck. 

Definitely this!

Harkonen_siegetank #12 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:15

Major

• Players
  • 27945 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
Ask for 500...seems like too much work for you to do.

Gunadie #13 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:25

Major

• Players
  • 35906 battles
  • [PROVE] PROVE

View PostWeslinator, on May 18 2017 - 16:39, said:

Yup POS truck that's seen better days..and years.

Weslinator #14 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

Block Quote

OP, need detail on the year, make and model.

1989 Ford F150. Standard cab, 4X4. Has 36' tires. automatic. 5.3L 360. It is a stock truck besides the tires

Block Quote

Ask your uncle to do a Pre-purchase inspection for you.  Add up all the costs of the parts/repairs and go from there.  I'd be inclined to go with one that needs less work.  The local craigslist here has a fair amount of vehicles in the 4k range.  Decent amount of which are trucks.  Again, you'll need to have them inspected before purchase.  Can't emphasize that enough.  Side note, what ever you decide to pursue, investigate what the known problem areas are for the car or truck.  

I did look up the price for the repairs. Somewhere in the 2k/2300 area. Where do you live, like the state? I'll investigate it.

Edited by Weslinator, May 19 2017 - 03:30.

HOTA_CHATON #15 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:30

Major

• Players
  • 11736 battles
  • [T0TS] T0TS

View PostWeslinator, on May 18 2017 - 18:39, said:

Run, don't walk away from that deal.

Weslinator #16 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

Also, my Uncle (another one) works on trucks or knows about this stuff so he can help me out to.

Block Quote

Run, don't walk away from that deal. 

Isn't that basically the same thing?

CedricMacLaren #17 Posted May 19 2017 - 03:36

Major

• Players
  • 14195 battles
  • [RECKT] RECKT

My first car was a '65 Impala. My Dad said it was a good deal at $150.  The tranny was shot so we towed it home. He took me to a salvage yard for a used one. I paid the guy $50 for it. Dad showed me how to take the old one out and get the new one in. It didn't work, so I had to take it back out and exchange it for another. Dad said since he had shown me how to do it once, I should be able to get it in myself. It took me three miserable days, but I finally figured out how to muscle it up and in place. It was a dud as well, so I had to shimmy underneath it so I could drop it down and out. The next one worked. 

Then I took it out around the section line and back. Smoked like crazy and the brakes were barely able to bring it to a stop. Dad took me to the NAPA store for new break shoes and to have the drums turned. He showed me how to install one and then came back out to show me how to adjust them after I had finished. 

Dad then told me I could take the pistons out from the bottom and install new rings. I worked under the damn car for two solid weeks trying to get the motor up at an angle which would allow it. Finally Dad came out and said I could stop. It was just very early automobiles where that was possible. He told me to go shower. He said a guy over in Sterling had a dog he wanted to look at. 

Turned out the dog was a '57 Chevy Bel Air. He co-signed a loan for me at the bank for $1600.  By the end of the Summer I would have it paid for. I thought my Dad was just being a jerk by making me work over a month to get that first junk heap going, but as it turned out, he was just making sure I knew how to do repairs myself when/if my cars died on the road. 

Weslinator #18 Posted May 19 2017 - 04:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV

Block Quote

My first car was a '65 Impala. My Dad said it was a good deal at $150.  The tranny was shot so we towed it home. He took me to a salvage yard for a used one. I paid the guy $50 for it. Dad showed me how to take the old one out and get the new one in. It didn't work, so I had to take it back out and exchange it for another. Dad said since he had shown me how to do it once, I should be able to get it in myself. It took me three miserable days, but I finally figured out how to muscle it up and in place. It was a dud as well, so I had to shimmy underneath it so I could drop it down and out. The next one worked. 

Then I took it out around the section line and back. Smoked like crazy and the brakes were barely able to bring it to a stop. Dad took me to the NAPA store for new break shoes and to have the drums turned. He showed me how to install one and then came back out to show me how to adjust them after I had finished. 

Dad then told me I could take the pistons out from the bottom and install new rings. I worked under the damn car for two solid weeks trying to get the motor up at an angle which would allow it. Finally Dad came out and said I could stop. It was just very early automobiles where that was possible. He told me to go shower. He said a guy over in Sterling had a dog he wanted to look at. 

Turned out the dog was a '57 Chevy Bel Air. He co-signed a loan for me at the bank for $1600.  By the end of the Summer I would have it paid for. I thought my Dad was just being a jerk by making me work over a month to get that first junk heap going, but as it turned out, he was just making sure I knew how to do repairs myself when/if my cars died on the road. 

Nice. I want to do that, sounds like fun.

Groza_Tanke #19 Posted May 19 2017 - 04:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50470 battles
  • [TRAP] TRAP

I used to buy a lot of old cars fix them up and flip them.  When I started I didn't know the difference between a crescent wrench and a box wrench, but I learned.

Older cars were simpler as they had NO computer components.  However the new vehicles are a lot more reliable.

Chilton used to publish very good books on how to repair almost any vehicle.  See if there is a manual available for the vehicle you are interested in.  Also check forums for the vehicle make there are a lot of people out there who will share information if you just ask.

If you are prudent and do a lot of the work yourself you can spend that $4K and have a pretty reliable car that will work well for a number of years.  Have fun.

Weslinator #20 Posted May 19 2017 - 04:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6560 battles
  • [TXV] TXV
Ok, thanks for the replies, I might post some pictures if I get the truck or will tell you if I did.

Block Quote

I used to buy a lot of old cars fix them up and flip them.  When I started I didn't know the difference between a crescent wrench and a box wrench, but I learned.

Older cars were simpler as they had NO computer components.  However the new vehicles are a lot more reliable.

Chilton used to publish very good books on how to repair almost any vehicle.  See if there is a manual available for the vehicle you are interested in.  Also check forums for the vehicle make there are a lot of people out there who will share information if you just ask.

If you are prudent and do a lot of the work yourself you can spend that $4K and have a pretty reliable car that will work well for a number of years.  Have fun.

Yes, I have heard of Chilton and I will check it out. Thanks for that. Also forgot to mention, they took it to Napa Auto Parts and they said it would cost around 2k to get it safe to drive.

Edited by Weslinator, May 19 2017 - 04:59.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users