Platooned w/ a Newb Last Night

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

_Marine #1 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 27274 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Last night after CW and playing vs some $#)@*(&$ wonderful tier 10 Mountain Pass camp strats... I was browsing Twitch, and came across some random NA streamer with 1 viewer, who described it as being "Super Noob" or something something to that effect. He had about 1500 battles, and had ground up to the VK100. Someone was kind enough to donate him a Lowe, so he was playing this for credits. After watching a couple battles and make some general observations I join his platoon for 7 or so battles because he was more than happy and willing to get advice and apply it to the best of his ability/experience levels.

Some general observations:

• Equipment: He's exceptionally credit limited, which is leading to VERY poor equipment choices such as a camo net and binocs on a Lowe and VK100, as he cannot afford VStabs or Rammers. He was making do with the choices he had

• Angling his armor: Probably the most natural movement he made, but was sloppy at times. Overall though, effort was made to do it correctly

• Decision making: Small sample size, but until I platooned with him his deployment decision making was based entirely on his tank class, not tank strength. This is perhaps one of the easiest bad habits to get into for a newer player (and many MANY experienced... um... 'Poor ability' players). For example, on Steppes encounter he wanted to push the 1-3 in the VK100 in a 5/10 tier 9 matchup against their tier 9 MTs. However, we pushed correctly to cap and caught their tier 9's completely out of position for an easy win.

• Inability to React to the situation right in front of him. Two decisions stuck out: He tunneled on a T10 and ignored the fact that a Grille 15 who missed two shots on him was just sitting in the open, and then him recognizing he was in a good position in another battle, but decided to push forward into the open despite him knowing better (perfect hull-down in the Lowe with enemy 200m away)

• Trading HP for... nothing. Too often, he would poke to take a shot, and wait for the perfect shot. Meanwhile, the player he was facing was just letting things fly as soon as he could. This lead to him dealing 320 damage, while loosing almost 1100. Some of this will get better as he realizes weak points, and other is just a lack of knowledge. Further, he would take a hit, and instead of pushing his opponent backwards by advancing during reload periods, he moved further back or into his own cover.

So, what can we learn from this or take away? First, premium time needs one additional benefit: Either allow de-mounting for free one tank a week all of its equipment, or like SWTOR sending you a small gold stipend each month. This would allow newer players to move equipment more easily, and enable them to continue to move up the line. Plus, this is like, not even a dollar's worth of gold. Perhaps what we could see is

• 1 and 3 day premium time comes with 30 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount 1 tank)

• 7 Day premium time comes with 60 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount 2 tanks)

• 30 day premium comes with 120 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount from 4 tanks)

Second (which is an idea I may write up or develop with Dance from WGNA) is a series of VERY short "quizzes" about decision making in the flow of a battle, and what you SHOULD do or where you MIGHT deploy. Third: Address the economy of this game. Its very hard for a new player to grind out 2.6mil credits to buy a tier 8, then another 600k credits to buy a VStab, then another 600k credits to buy Vents, and then another 600k credits to buy a large gun rammer. Oh, plus training each crew member (5, as example) for another 20k credits for a total of 4,500,000 credits: Or, if you're playing the Chi-Nu tier 5, 370 battles IF you're an average player, IF you're dealing damage and IF you're not spamming premium ammo. And this may be all in a tank he or she doesn't enjoy in a line they're not going to grind for a long long time.

I do commend this player for being willing to listen, and hope to see him around more and improve. He also seemed to be having fun with the game, which is great! This has given me some more ideas about what I could address in future articles with Dance and the Official Player Guides at https://worldoftanks.com/en/content/player-guide/

Silversound #2 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:06

Major

• Players
  • 34115 battles
  • [GUNS5] GUNS5

Marine, that was a great read.

You just went up a few notches in my book and took VILIN with you.

Mad props for being you. o7

roestreyev #3 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24949 battles
  • [SKORP] SKORP

gold is easy to get in 1 v 1 tournament. You're pretty much garanted a small amount just for showing up (so many no show).

tow2_b #4 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 18594 battles

View Postroestreyev, on May 19 2017 - 10:16, said:

gold is easy to get in 1 v 1 tournament. You're pretty much garanted a small amount just for showing up (so many no show).

Do you have to have comms for tournament play? Have never done it and always wondered all the requirements...

dunniteowl #5 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 16778 battles

I'm a FTPP (Free To Play Pubbie)

I read your post and thought very well of it -- and you, by the way.

I think the one thing that would make the largest overall difference in the player base is that new players really do need to be able to go into a Training Room and not have to worry about: ammo expenses, repair bills, time limits (within reason) and others 'live firing' them while they practice.

It reminds me of those scenes in Edge of Tomorrow where the protagonist learns by having to repeat everything over and over until he gets it and can move on further -- except there's no end in sight.  It's a long series of Today's that end badly.

That's what  being a Newb in WoT is really like.  Sort of a Combat-Oriented Groundhog Day.

That you took the time to help this guy out makes you a "Gaming Hero" in my book.  That you took the time to post this in relation to it also speaks well, so I commend you there as well.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Da_Craw #6 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19636 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Posttow2_b, on May 19 2017 - 09:20, said:

Do you have to have comms for tournament play? Have never done it and always wondered all the requirements...

Not required.  Not needed for 1v1.  Useful (OK necessary to compete) in team tournies.

Danglebeef #7 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 28235 battles
this is a good post, and good to see highly experienced players, mentoring tankers...there should be more of this, and less flame in chat about noobs, and how they suck, but really a good time to have a "vet" mentor someone or perhaps offer advice constructively.

LeaveIT2Beaver #8 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 27563 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

Marine, you're my WoT Hero of the Day!

MAYBE WG could be convinced to tier the price of  equipment for players under XXX games/

Cheesehead1964 #9 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2795 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Just PM'd you. Save me! :-)

MacDaddyMatty #10 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 13712 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Block Quote

1 and 3 day premium time comes with 30 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount 1 tank)

7 Day premium time comes with 60 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount 2 tanks)

30 day premium comes with 120 gold if purchased through the store (Dismount from 4 tanks)

Good stuff+1

Da_Craw #11 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19636 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Post_Marine, on May 19 2017 - 09:01, said:

Trading HP for... nothing. Too often, he would poke to take a shot, and wait for the perfect shot. Meanwhile, the player he was facing was just letting things fly as soon as he could. This lead to him dealing 320 damage, while loosing almost 1100. Some of this will get better as he realizes weak points, and other is just a lack of knowledge. Further, he would take a hit, and instead of pushing his opponent backwards by advancing during reload periods, he moved further back or into his own cover.

A series of very brief video tutorials on when to push during reload would have been a godsend when I started.  Something like the sidescraping tutorial from (iirc) Uberdice.  I played through the Japanese heavy line last fall for the marathon and was utterly shocked how many times I would end up corner fighting 1 v 1 in an O-I or an O-Ni and the red driver would let me shoot, retreat and reload unmolested for 20 seconds and then pull out and shoot them again.  I guess new players are just conditioned to the pew-pew pace of the lower tiers.   

Edited by Da_Craw, May 19 2017 - 16:33.

Kamahl1234 #12 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 17352 battles
  • [_-D-_] _-D-_

I'd like to point out that your comment on equipment is more misleading than it should be. The thing to take away is that he cannot afford the better equipment, not that he's making poor choices. Those pieces of equipment are good options if you can't afford other things. Most players I know will do this when they can't afford the proper equipment, partially as this equipment can be moved freely from tank to tank.

He isn't making poor decisions at all. He's making do, as you said. Nothing wrong with that, other than maybe ideally he should have been a bit more prepared for those tanks credit-wise.

_Marine #13 Posted May 19 2017 - 16:39

Major

• Players
  • 27274 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostKamahl1234, on May 19 2017 - 10:35, said:

I'd like to point out that your comment on equipment is more misleading than it should be. The thing to take away is that he cannot afford the better equipment, not that he's making poor choices. Those pieces of equipment are good options if you can't afford other things. Most players I know will do this when they can't afford the proper equipment, partially as this equipment can be moved freely from tank to tank.

He isn't making poor decisions at all. He's making do, as you said. Nothing wrong with that, other than maybe ideally he should have been a bit more prepared for those tanks credit-wise.

Camo net and Binocs on a tank which is constantly moving like a Lowe or VK is a bad choice. You must sit still for 3 seconds for those to activate, and then the advantage those present is gone. He also may not have understood the mechanics behind them as well. Nothing wrong w/ making do, we all do that. But, he's been forced to destroy or sell his equipment every step of the way and grind out credits for them once again

Kinderstruck #14 Posted May 19 2017 - 17:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 23848 battles

This is a really great post!

I think the Tank Rewards program could use a bit of a tweak regarding the game economy.

Before Tank Rewards, equipment would go on sale quite frequently. Now, if you are low tier, you have to put in a hefty, daily experience grind to qualify for equipment.

For removing equipment - if they don't want to give away gold as a reward, how about an equipment removal voucher that can be earned through the Tank Rewards program?

qcarr #15 Posted May 19 2017 - 17:14

Captain

• Players
  • 27229 battles
  • [REJCT] REJCT
Bravo to you _Marine! Very happy to see that you mentored this new player. This is a great game and it's sure nice to see that there are still great people playing it and willing to pass along their knowledge! :honoring: +1

zippychippy #16 Posted May 19 2017 - 17:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9680 battles
  • [_TPR_] _TPR_
Well done Marine, the world of tanks and humans is a better place because of you.:medal:

Edited by zippychippy, May 19 2017 - 17:26.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #17 Posted May 19 2017 - 17:31

Captain

• Players
  • 60063 battles
I like the idea of the situational quiz. I think that could be very enlightening for many of us mere mortals.

miklkit #18 Posted May 19 2017 - 17:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8526 battles
He is broke because he is moving up the tiers too fast.  If he moved up more slowly he would have the funds to buy the equipment.  At 1500 games he should be in tiers 3-4.

_Marine #19 Posted May 19 2017 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 27274 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View Postmiklkit, on May 19 2017 - 11:42, said:

He is broke because he is moving up the tiers too fast.  If he moved up more slowly he would have the funds to buy the equipment.  At 1500 games he should be in tiers 3-4.

Disagree. There are many methods to learning, he simply chose the "rush to it" strat, aka "Sink or Swim". Some are better learning in the kiddy pool, others jump right in and have at it

firekitty #20 Posted May 19 2017 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32708 battles
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR

OP,

This game needs more players like you ! Thanks for helping newer players instead of being toxic towards them. That " newb" will likely stick with WoT, AND likely play it forward ( help like you helped them). Kudos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users