Jump to content


A better way to monetize premium tanks


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

BillT #1 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:06

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 22495 battles
  • 317
  • [FADES] FADES
  • Member since:
    08-13-2010

Dear WG:


I get it.  You need a steady stream of income to keep the game running.  You deserve to make money ... I *want* you to make money, so I can keep playing the game.  But the way you're making cash now, introducing increasingly powerful premium tanks, is harmful.  It makes all my existing tanks less fun and less viable.  And you can't keep this up; you can't keep making each new premium a little more powerful than the last, because that warps the entire game balance.

 

Here's a better idea.  Instead of selling premiums, you should only LEASE them.  Players pay cash (or gold) for the right to drive a premium tank for a limited period of time.  As a straw proposal, let's say that renting a Loewe costs 50 cents a day, $5 a month,  or $25 a year.  When the lease expires the tank disappears and I have to pay again if I want to keep driving it.

 

From your perspective, WG, that means you get a reliable stream of income instead of a one-time purchase.  You don't need to keep developing new premium tanks to make new income, so you don't have to keep digging for goofy prototypes and spend time and money creating and balancing them.  You don't need to keep escalating their power level to convince people to lay out money year after year: we'll keep paying to rent the same premiums we've always had.  And you have more freedom to rebalance those tanks, because the players aren't stuck forever with a bad tank if you nerf it; we just let the lease expire, and then try a different tank.  

 

From the player's perspective, it means spending money on a premium tank is less risky.  I can try it for a few days or a month inexpensively and then only renew the lease if I like the tank.  And if it gets nerfed or becomes obsolete, it's not as great a loss because it wasn't a permanent commitment.

 

I realize there's no way to implement this now.  You've already sold tanks permanently and players would be outraged if you said, "They're gone now. Want to rent them back?"  Instead, you're going to get the same effect by introducing a stream of increasingly powerful premiums that people buy, but stop playing after a couple of years when you release a newer, more powerful premium.  To you that's just as good as a lease, plus it makes us buy extra garage slots.



SteelRonin #2 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:13

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 21603 battles
  • 3,371
  • Member since:
    09-13-2010

Well, League of Legends is still the game with more income per year...only by selling "SKINS"...............

 

WG can make a lot of money by selling things like these:

- Emblem packs

- Camo packs

- Cosmetics/add-ons packs

- Female crew

 

And they won't touch the balance...instead fo this premium tank [edited]...


Edited by SteelRonin, May 19 2017 - 20:15.


redjkent #3 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:18

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 57001 battles
  • 133
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB
  • Member since:
    07-24-2014
i love premiums and i like buying them so there

_TankHunter_ #4 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:20

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 11836 battles
  • 20
  • [_BR_] _BR_
  • Member since:
    07-28-2011

View PostSteelRonin, on May 19 2017 - 16:13, said:

Well, League of Legends is still the game with more income per year...only by selling "SKINS"...............

 

WG can make a lot of money by selling things like these:

- Emblem packs

- Camo packs

- Cosmetics/add-ons packs

- Female crew

 

And they won't touch the balance...

 

yes, that's one of the best ways to make money without hurting balance.

LOL,CS GO, Team fortress 2, even call of duty (paid game) make tons o money with skins

of course you can sell premium tanks but not better than tech tree tanks (IS-3 and IS-6 example)

 

and no, leasing is a bad idea



Mydragonsfly #5 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 8097 battles
  • 5,663
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

Block Quote

 Players pay cash (or gold) for the right to drive a premium tank for a limited period of time.

 

I would drop all my premium tanks in a heartbeat and gold would lose almost all of its value to me. 

 

Sure I might have two years of time in my tier eights with your proposal, but the way things are currently, I keep those tanks in my garage until the game goes belly up or my account gets deleted. So far I've been running pretty strong with some of my premiums for over four years. To see that all just blow away, nah, I wouldn't be too happy.



1mp0ster #6 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:23

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 31112 battles
  • 792
  • Member since:
    07-13-2013

View Postredjkent, on May 19 2017 - 20:18, said:

i love premiums and i like buying them so there

 

I love nights with your mom and I like buying them, so there

Daurock #7 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:24

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21152 battles
  • 103
  • [ORDER] ORDER
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011

View PostSteelRonin, on May 19 2017 - 13:13, said:

Well, League of Legends is still the game with more income per year...only by selling "SKINS"...............

 

WG can make a lot of money by selling things like these:

- Emblem packs

- Camo packs

- Cosmetics/add-ons packs

- Female crew

 

And they won't touch the balance...instead fo this premium tank [edited]...

 

Indeed.  It can even be expanded, by making identical copies of popular tanks in the shop, a'la IS-3b, T34B.  WG Should REALLY consider putting the recent premium tanks into the standard trees. (And buffing other standard tree tanks for "balance" )

As another option, they could even work in a "premium" Tag, where you pay money, and get to give your standard tank premium status.  I don't know what i'd pay to get My T69 a premium tag, but it'd be a lot.  I'm sure others have similar "favorite" tanks they'd like to Tag.  They do this in blitz, (Badly, but at least it's there) so why not here.

 

As for "Leasing", just No.  If i want to pay for time limited premium status, i will pay for a premium account.


Edited by Daurock, May 19 2017 - 20:32.


YANKEE137 #8 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:25

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 4147 battles
  • 852
  • [SOFAT] SOFAT
  • Member since:
    08-17-2015
Skins would make cash. There could be about fifty different historical skins for the Sherman alone.  German tanks came in all kinds of combinations of colors, numbers, zimmerit, skirts. Why wouldn't you want that? The current limited system is wasted potential.

Verblonde #9 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:27

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 15322 battles
  • 1,656
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB
  • Member since:
    02-08-2015

View PostDaurock, on May 19 2017 - 14:24, said:

 

As another option, they could even work in a "premium" Tag, where you pay money, and get to give your standard tank premium status.  I don't know what i'd pay to get My T69 a premium tag, but it'd be a lot.  I'm sure others have similar "favorite" tanks they'd like to Tag.

 


This is a fantastic idea, but look at Blitz to see how WG would most likely make a complete pig's ear of the implementation (the option is ludicrously expensive, so no-one in their right mind does it)...



Daurock #10 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:31

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21152 battles
  • 103
  • [ORDER] ORDER
  • Member since:
    03-13-2011

View PostVerblonde, on May 19 2017 - 13:27, said:


This is a fantastic idea, but look at Blitz to see how WG would most likely make a complete pig's ear of the implementation (the option is ludicrously expensive, so no-one in their right mind does it)...

 

Yeah, I'm not sure what a "proper" amount is.  Probably like $40 for a Tier 8, $10ish for a tier 5 seems about right to me. Basically, make it marginally cheaper than a similar-tiered current premium tank.  Id like it to remain Limited to tier 8 and below tanks still though, as id rather not see everyone running around in "premiumized" tier 10s all the time.  WG, Being WG will probably find a way to shoot themselves in the feet though.

 

Also, forgot they'd added it to blitz already.  Modifying original post


Edited by Daurock, May 19 2017 - 20:47.


BillT #11 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:39

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 22495 battles
  • 317
  • [FADES] FADES
  • Member since:
    08-13-2010

View PostDaurock, on May 19 2017 - 14:24, said:

 

Indeed.  It can even be expanded, by making identical copies of popular tanks in the shop, a'la IS-3b, T34B. 
 

As another option, they could even work in a "premium" Tag, where you pay money, and get to give your standard tank premium status.  I don't know what i'd pay to get My T69 a premium tag, but it'd be a lot.  I'm sure others have similar "favorite" tanks they'd like to Tag.  They do this in blitz, (Badly, but at least it's there) so why not here.

 

 

Those are both really good ideas!  



Fireplace4 #12 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:47

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 26216 battles
  • 195
  • [M--M] M--M
  • Member since:
    11-05-2011

View PostBillT, on May 19 2017 - 14:06, said:

Dear WG:


I get it.  You need a steady stream of income to keep the game running.  You deserve to make money ... I *want* you to make money, so I can keep playing the game.  But the way you're making cash now, introducing increasingly powerful premium tanks, is harmful.  It makes all my existing tanks less fun and less viable.  And you can't keep this up; you can't keep making each new premium a little more powerful than the last, because that warps the entire game balance.

 

Here's a better idea.  Instead of selling premiums, you should only LEASE them.  Players pay cash (or gold) for the right to drive a premium tank for a limited period of time.  As a straw proposal, let's say that renting a Loewe costs 50 cents a day, $5 a month,  or $25 a year.  When the lease expires the tank disappears and I have to pay again if I want to keep driving it.

 

From your perspective, WG, that means you get a reliable stream of income instead of a one-time purchase.  You don't need to keep developing new premium tanks to make new income, so you don't have to keep digging for goofy prototypes and spend time and money creating and balancing them.  You don't need to keep escalating their power level to convince people to lay out money year after year: we'll keep paying to rent the same premiums we've always had.  And you have more freedom to rebalance those tanks, because the players aren't stuck forever with a bad tank if you nerf it; we just let the lease expire, and then try a different tank.  

 

From the player's perspective, it means spending money on a premium tank is less risky.  I can try it for a few days or a month inexpensively and then only renew the lease if I like the tank.  And if it gets nerfed or becomes obsolete, it's not as great a loss because it wasn't a permanent commitment.

 

I realize there's no way to implement this now.  You've already sold tanks permanently and players would be outraged if you said, "They're gone now. Want to rent them back?"  Instead, you're going to get the same effect by introducing a stream of increasingly powerful premiums that people buy, but stop playing after a couple of years when you release a newer, more powerful premium.  To you that's just as good as a lease, plus it makes us buy extra garage slots.

 

An interesting proposal, I like that you are being clear headed and trying to think about ways to help Wargaming get off of this self-destructive, downward spiraling behavior; however, I don't think this particular way would work. I say this simply because I don't think that enough people would pay the money to rent the tanks. People are very unlikely to spend a decent amount of money just to rent something. The reason people (or at least the reason I) buy tanks is so that you own them, it gives you that nice burst of dopamine. Again, nothing against you, I like the way you are thinking about this and I fully support continued discourse, I just don't think that this is the way to go.

togo281 #13 Posted May 19 2017 - 20:54

    Captain

  • Players
  • 25424 battles
  • 1,031
  • Member since:
    04-30-2011

I like the idea of Renting for a month so you can rent before you buy. I'd also like to see the ability to make any tank Premium (you pay to make it a Premium) and it gets the credits & experience of a premium tank.

 

If WG really wants to just make money all they have to do is put the T-59 on sale.



_LordHelmet_ #14 Posted May 19 2017 - 21:05

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 32012 battles
  • 127
  • Member since:
    08-24-2013
OP this is a great idea

Bobomite #15 Posted May 19 2017 - 21:06

    Captain

  • Players
  • 18214 battles
  • 1,411
  • [BOBO] BOBO
  • Member since:
    04-12-2011

View PostSteelRonin, on May 19 2017 - 11:13, said:

Well, League of Legends is still the game with more income per year...only by selling "SKINS"...............

 

Exactly right.  And that's why LoL is a free-to-play game with a future, and WoT is just milking the declining user base.   Instead of building new maps or fixing the long term issues in the game they just want to skim what they can before it collapses from neglect.



tanopasman62 #16 Posted May 19 2017 - 21:36

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 7799 battles
  • 327
  • Member since:
    12-13-2016

I like the idea of making your regular tanks premiums, it would solve a lot of issues regarding crew training.

 

They could also make every premium coming with a good crew (Like the Berlin tanks), and even then, there is a lot of tanks that could be added as premiums without breaking the game, like the Russian T-35, which could be pretty much a Type 95, to give an example.



Real_soldier #17 Posted May 19 2017 - 21:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 17083 battles
  • 13
  • Member since:
    09-08-2013
I like my premiums and want to keep them, but in my opinion WG needs to concentrate on other things then new tanks from the same old lines. This is my list of what I would like to see (I am sure yours will be different, so start your own post on that trolls). 1) concentrate on new maps or redone older maps that are not in circulation anymore. 2) complete the Axis powers nations by bringing in the Italians. 3) You have NO Premium Tier 7 or 8 SPG's at all in any nations (as a Arty player, that needs to change immediately). 4) Why would you have a wargaming center for all 3 games and not run all 3 with the same gold standard ?? you need to fix that. 5) I want to have the ability run run flags on the ships and planes like I do on my Tanks so they all match. Please get to work on that and let me know when I can expect it. Sincerely, Your Boss the Customer.

golruul #18 Posted May 19 2017 - 21:56

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18546 battles
  • 526
  • Member since:
    11-05-2011

No thanks, I don't want to just "lease" tanks, just like I don't want Software-as-a-Service (Microsoft you can take your Office "subscriptions" and shove it).

 

I'm fine with WG offering both buy/lease options, though, depending on what the user wants.



TrooperZZ #19 Posted May 19 2017 - 23:18

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 23904 battles
  • 179
  • [DA] DA
  • Member since:
    12-18-2013
Soon all the features from the other game will be implemented here. A lot have been already and some are planned for the near future and people have suggested options here in this thread that are already implemented in the other game. Copy Cat game that's cashing in on the natural life cycle of a product.

Nubslayer #20 Posted May 19 2017 - 23:20

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 22533 battles
  • 501
  • [RELAX] RELAX
  • Member since:
    10-21-2011

View Postredjkent, on May 19 2017 - 20:18, said:

i love premiums and i like buying them so there

 

i like you. can i buy you?




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users