Statement about the SirFoch incident

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

Cenotaph #141 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:08

Captain

• Players
  • 9305 battles

View PostWewum, on May 23 2017 - 17:05, said:

Gonna fix the Chrysler, Liberte, Patriot, and all other premiums that are better than their counterparts that are non-premium?

They "can't" ... policy doesn't allow them to.

The only option they have is to buff the hell out of tech tree tanks to make them better than these obvious cash-grab OP premiums.

MeatheadMilitia #142 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:12

Corporal

• Administrator
  • 11392 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostMedessec, on May 23 2017 - 17:41, said:

It's awesome to see this statement, and I guess I can provide my personal thanks as a fan and a player that you guys have made this statement on the issue so openly and so direct.

People do make mistakes and it's great to see a company show honesty, and telling it how it is, but I sincerely hope that perhaps things have been figured out in the staff... and incidents like this don't happen again.

This is being used as an education piece in an effort to make sure this never happens again. 

Razorkitten #143 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 44199 battles
  • [SQRL] SQRL
Notice it says that they will not pursue copyright actions but does not say they will not take (legal) punitive action. It does not say that wargaming will change its course of bringing out op prem tanks then nerfing them when they get a few months old, That has not been addressed and imho will continue to be the source of most of frustration that long term players see now, and the cause of more problems like the Sir Foch incident. I only spend $35-40 avg per year on this game because I don't trust wargaming to sell me something that in six months wont perform the way it did when I bought it. It really doesn't really make a fig to me if they want to make a pure pay to win game, I would just suffer along with low win rate. I would like them to clarify the future of the game mechanics, yes I do have some investment of time etc. This is a reevaluation point for many players and some are just learning of the issues involved. Personally I bought the T34 heavy around Christmas and it was nerfed in the last update, so I person personally am not pleased. And I understand that the RU 251 needed to be reworked with making the t10 lights. This was done by removing the emblem, the permanent camo, taking back the tank, and compensating the player for these items. That, in itself, was a fair way of handling that. A new RU 251 was then available to purchase, so you can take the resources that WG just refunded and purchase the new RU and equip it like it was before and still have some change leftover because the reduced the cost of permanent camo, nice, BUT if you want to open the tier 10 above it you MUST earn the exp to unlock it. You MUST buy the RU back if you want to open the RHM panzer, or burn free exp. no matter if you had the whole line open or not. Very high incentive for players to burn free exp as they would then have a ready crew, camo, modules for the Rhm. Not pleased about that either. So please WG, is there any assurance you wont continue the power creep? I for one would like some assurance that pay to win is NOT the direction of the game is taking. That would be information I can base financial decisions on, instead of leaving us wondering if we want to continue to support WG. 

Edited by Razorkitten, May 24 2017 - 02:46.

Thylacoleo #144 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 8756 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
There was nothing in his video regarding homophobia. He expressed disdain for WG's greediness. Even so, since when did WG care about homophobia anyway? It's not like they take action in the game against people who call others "[edited]" or "[edited]", anyway. Lol.

MeatheadMilitia #145 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:15

Corporal

• Administrator
  • 11392 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostShutUp_Karl, on May 23 2017 - 17:47, said:

That is all well and good, however;  The North American side of WG Does not have a Community Contributor Program anywhere noted within its pages. Therefore the statement is invalid and means absolutely nothing to anyone who is in North America that uses WG intellectual property for use in streaming or You Tube.
All this is saying is; "As we WG attempt to clean up after Apocryphal excrement tsunami (that we created) over ONE Man's flatulence err opinion. We went off half locked.  We are sorry that we brought all this bad press upon ourselves, we will never do that again or at least until our next revision of the terms of service that we will hide within a new patch." 

People in NA are allowed to stream and make youtube videos. 

Cenotaph #146 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:19

Captain

• Players
  • 9305 battles

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on May 23 2017 - 17:12, said:

This is being used as an education piece in an effort to make sure this never happens again. 

Until the next time it does, because WG, and specifically the NA office have absolutely no consistency or integrity.

Actions speak louder than words, and your actions tell a very different story than your mouth. (The NA office as a whole, not -you- specifically)

Kenshin2kx #147 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 16050 battles

View PostE_lemonators, on May 23 2017 - 14:55, said:

Why is WG upset with someone in the first place they invited to the WG community knowing his "salty" personality?

<Kenshin2kx>  Interesting bit of social trivia ... many woman say yes to a marriage proposal, all the while 'knowing' the prospective husbands faults and quirks ... the unspoken long term goal?  Mold and shape the husband into what they wanted to begin with ... so ...

Second question why did WG N/A sever release a statement against SirFoch, when he is on the EU server?

<Kenshin2kx>  Given the reality of the internet in terms of influence and distribution, its entirely possible that the authoritative boundaries associated to somehone like Sir Foch became momentarily blurred, and in the heat of the moment, WGNA reacted ... as a recipient of perceived abuse ...

Third question, Does WG right hand know what the left hand is doing?

<Kenshin2kx>  I am fairly sure that the goal is to maintain up to date and real time information exchange between regional domains ... but as with anything man made, accidents can and will happen.  

lmbo, threaten someone Copy Right Strike in the first place when the company gave any Youtuber free reign to publish their game on YouTube. Wow, I am not a smart man but common sense here. This MISTAKE by WG will cost them a lot of people and People in their community to leave.

<Kenshin2kx>  The good and bad of a 'big' mistake is that it usually causes quite a bit of pain ... fortunately though, this pain can serve as a reminder for what NOT to do in the future.

Now time to go play Cities Skylines.........GG

VinnyI82 #148 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:20

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 32004 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY

View PostQuemapueblos, on May 23 2017 - 11:01, said:

Dear Commanders,

We have further reviewed the incident of last Friday involving SirFoch and his “Chrysler K GF rant” video, and know we could have handled the situation a lot better. We strongly support our players’, including our Community Contributors’, right to speak critically about us and our games. We acted too quickly and over the line when we threatened to have YouTube remove SirFoch’s video through a copyright infringement complaint and we are apologizing for that.

We’re committed to doing a better job on this front. We’re going to improve the way we communicate with our Community and our Community Contributors, and as part of that effort we will work with them on more detailed, specific guidelines to help ensure incidents like this don’t happen again.

Our official position is that Wargaming will not take copyright action against opinions based on our publicly released content.

Over the weekend we released a statement to some media outlets regarding the content of SirFoch’s video that inferred that SirFoch’s videos contained hate speech and homophobia. While we would obviously not want such content to be associated with any of our games – this video clearly did not. We apologize for this statement, and we don't stand behind those claims.

We love our players and our contributors – and we appreciate their honesty and commitment – we are committed to using this incident to grow and improve.

Jointly signed by

Thaine Lyman, 
Product Director World of Tanks
Markus Schill,
General Manager Europe
Jay Cohen,
General Manager North America
Anton Pankov,
World of Tanks Publishing Director

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/sirfoch-statement/

Forgive me if I don't actually trust you guys to adhere to this apology as in the past you have made apologies and promises and subsequently crapall over the community breaking said apologies and promises.

Time to put your money where your mouth is WG.  Literally.

Hans_von_Twitchy #149 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 39190 battles
  • [-R-O-] -R-O-

A lot of players have been impressed by WG's latest statement. I was VERY unimpressed by it. Take the very first line:

We have further reviewed the incident of last Friday involving SirFoch and his “Chrysler K GF rant”

"We have further reviewed" -- this is WG boasting about itself. Not only has it "reviewed", but it has "further reviewed"! See how much extra work we are doing!

"incident" -- it wasn't an incident; it was an approved WoT Commentator making a commentary about the game (just like he was supposed to, and consistent with many of his previous comments) that WG massively freaked out about, responding with lies, immoral and illegal threats, and attempted character assassinations.

"involving SirFoch and his Chrysler K GF rant" -- Wait a minute, didn't it involve WG too? How come WG got left out? Especially because WG was by FAR the main offender! And why was SirFoch's commentary called a "rant"? That's a very emotional slur.

In short: The first line of WG's supposed apology is worded to entirely absolve WG of any of the blame and put it all on SirFoch. It isn't a contrite mea culpa; it's just further proof that WG is unbelievably arrogant, and incapable of accepting the blame for its own screwups.  I am VERY unimpressed.

A real apology would have started something like:

We apologize for the appalling way we reacted, and over-reacted, to SirFoch's critical Chrysler video. It was morally and legally wrong of us to threaten him with copyright strikes, and there is similarly no excuse at all for our attempted character assassinations by way of accusing him of hate speech and homophobic slurs. None of our actions are defensible.

Nothing in the pathetically fake apology addresses the issue that got SirFoch raised in his Chrysler video. WG will continue to release dumbed-down, OP premium tanks. More and more YouTubers will reach the end of their tolerance for WG's stupid greed, and will speak their minds. WG's fragile ego will no doubt make the company respond with hyper-aggressive threats and petulance again.

Edited by Hans_von_Twitchy, May 24 2017 - 03:25.

TristanXD6 #150 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8792 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on May 23 2017 - 15:38, said:

Agreed. Like we said, we acted too quick and could have been better with the handling of this situation. 

We're going to use this as a learning experience and educate. 

I sure hope that this is true. Right now, the best thing that Wargming can do as a company is to regain the trust of it's North American and European community base. I hope that staff members like you will be able to mend the damage that these latest incidents have caused.

GaiusMaximus010 #151 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1660 battles

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on May 23 2017 - 18:01, said:

...also,

WG was polite to Frosch in the correspondence and Frosh (sp? don't care) acted like a spoiled child who needs a spanking.

Give the WG employee a raise and promotion.

YMMV

(yeah, I'm in a mood - out of coffee)

Hey T-rump go back to tweety

Cenotaph #152 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:28

Captain

• Players
  • 9305 battles

View PostTristanXD6, on May 23 2017 - 17:26, said:

I sure hope that this is true. Right now, the best thing that Wargming can do as a company is to regain the trust of it's North American and European community base. I hope that staff members like you will be able to mend the damage that these latest incidents have caused.

Doubtful, because all the NA office seems to ever do is issue empty platitudes and then duck and cover till the issue blows over.

I cannot think of a single time they have -ever- lived up to their word...

MeatheadMilitia #153 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:31

Corporal

• Administrator
  • 11392 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

View PostCenotaph, on May 24 2017 - 01:19, said:

Until the next time it does, because WG, and specifically the NA office have absolutely no consistency or integrity.

Actions speak louder than words, and your actions tell a very different story than your mouth. (The NA office as a whole, not -you- specifically)

And if it does happen again, we'll have learned from this situation on how to communicate better. 
No human is perfect, no business is perfect, we made a mistake, we'll learn from it. 

I agree with you, action does speak louder than words, which is why hope the community helps keep us honest as you always have, moving forward. 

power_Donky #154 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:33

Major

• Players
  • 20741 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
Are you guys going to actually listen to Foch now and fix the game?

Cenotaph #155 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:37

Captain

• Players
  • 9305 battles

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on May 23 2017 - 17:31, said:

And if it does happen again, we'll have learned from this situation on how to communicate better. 
No human is perfect, no business is perfect, we made a mistake, we'll learn from it. 

I agree with you, action does speak louder than words, which is why hope the community helps keep us honest as you always have, moving forward. 

You mean like when your own staff members got caught admitting to rigging for T-22's ?

And strangely enough, this server was the only one to let people keep the T-22...

And every single staff member that was asked why this was allowed to happen said "Oh, I'm sorry... that isn't my department so I can't comment on it" , even NyxWGA... the Head of Community.

Gee, that's amazing.. absolutely nobody in the office was responsible...

But hey, as long as you say "Come on guy's, trust us, we'll be good this time... honest!"  you can keep lying to us over and over, and expect us to let you get away with it?

Gunadie #156 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:48

Major

• Players
  • 37622 battles
  • [PROVE] PROVE

View PostTony_McSwain, on May 23 2017 - 10:19, said:

Hello, Just wanted to comment even though I can't seem to log myself in on my account! I understand how things like this can happen so quickly that things get out of control. I think that everyone has attempted to reconcile this problem but there are a couple of things that should never have happened. There should not have been any threats or innuendos about Foch's YouTube account. If something like this happens again, do as you did and ask him to remove the video and then ban him from the game. You had things under control until WG North America made their statement about "consequences". This is the usual heavy handed Politically Correct nonsense that goes on here in America but it is not the norm in the other gaming regions. You can get away with that here as the people have been brow beaten into submission on these issues but that will not fly outside the US.

In the future, make you statement as a whole not piecemeal. I do not know if Foch was being compensated or not, he and the other members that rep with him say they are not. But they are the face of your company to the gamer's that support you. Just the possibility that the perceived threat was made will cost you money, no matter the outcome. On the other hand, how this comes out in the end will determine if your fan base will stay or leave. Jingles and the others that have left your program should be BEGGED to come back and along with Foch, should have a video statement of there own feelings on whether to stay or go form WOT and the WG group.

So its your opinion or belief that when someone says anything that War Gaming takes exception to (or how they phrase it) they should be banned from the game?

He was asked if he wanted CC status , he did not apply.

He is not paid by War Gaming for anything he posts, he is granted early previewing of some products for comment as a C.C. ie. new released tanks , maps ect.

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #157 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:56

Major

• Players
  • 15574 battles

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on May 23 2017 - 18:31, said:

ok...can you tell us what changes WG is making

just intercompany communication

just a review of policy with employees

or will you be looking at the initial spark that lit this fire,  the OP prems, the lack of weakspots,  and the forced use of gold rounds

Cenotaph #158 Posted May 24 2017 - 02:59

Captain

• Players
  • 9305 battles

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on May 23 2017 - 17:56, said:

or will you be looking at the initial spark that lit this fire,  the OP prems, the lack of weakspots,  and the forced use of gold rounds

Of course he can't... it isn't his department.

Discussion of internal policy is not allowed.

-Insert five other useless platitudes-

Gunadie #159 Posted May 24 2017 - 03:03

Major

• Players
  • 37622 battles
  • [PROVE] PROVE

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on May 23 2017 - 17:56, said:

As well as the lack of new maps, the lack of balance between old and new, power creep!

LadyJess #160 Posted May 24 2017 - 03:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostMeatheadMilitia, on May 24 2017 - 02:15, said:

People in NA are allowed to stream and make youtube videos. 

Thank you WG for all of this but, could you possibly do something about that Idiot on the NA server that messed up all of your hard work and effort to set things right and get Jingles back.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users