How to climb up ranked battles effectively

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

MountainGoatNoName #1 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 20:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

I have been playing a while since test server.And I hit top5 on NA leaderboard during the beta test season. Here are my questions and my own opinions.

This post is not about how to be a good player in general. I will keep updating this post.

http://wotreplays.com/uploader/MountainGoatNoName/id/675211

You guys can download my replay.

Set up a goal first.

The rewards are the same for the  top1 and the last one of first league. 

The rewards are not much different between the first league and the second league.

The third league is attainable for most players.

Rewards are far less attractive than campaign and tournament.

Getting to  the second league is the most profitable choice during beta test.

As for average skill level players without enough time and credits, the best choice would be get to the third league if possible.

For average below skill level players, i recommend you to spam maus and type5 during beta test. Because I have seen a 45%er got to rank5 easily by spamming type5 and maus.

Casual players should be able to get rank1 easily.

For players trying to have fun and play with same level players:

Rank5 battle has far less potatoes than random battles. Rank5 battle has basic strategy on most maps. Rank5 battle is more interesting than tier8 SH.

Avg wn8 is around 2k every rank5 battle during third stage on weekdays. I had many rank5 battles with avg 2k3 wn8 due to low population of NA server.

Since tierX cw and sh are sort of dead on NA server, ranked battle has the potential to be the most interesting and accessible competitive mode in the future with a few adjustment like 24/7 available and 7vs7.

0. It's a matter of time to get rank5 for average players.

I have met so many rank5 players with 49% overall win rate on test server.

In theory, you can get rank4 or rank5 as long as you have 51% chevron rate and enough time.

Monday, get to rank3 if possible. The first day is really hard to get to rank4 and rank5. And it's easy to get to rank3 after resetting rank.

It's easier to get rank4 or rank5 on weekends.Because you will meet less competitive players on weekends.     

1.How to get more experience during a losing game?

Genrally, I would stay somewhere safe to snipe in my tvp before teammates died. Then, keep pulling back and sniping.

But playing aggressively in tvp to trade hp with heavies might get more experience than the former playstyle. For example, artic region J line.

The thing is I cannot always make sure penetration of sniping. And experience will be shared with spotters.

Sometimes I found I can still get the most experience even if I died early.Because I got enough assisting damage before death.

For example, driving a 113 to the middle of lakeville south respawn  which got me 3k damage and 6k assisting damage in that battle.

2.How to get more points with limited time?

Is it ok to sui-scout during a surely win game in which i am sure I can be top12 experience maker ?Then start next game.

Is it ok to sui-scout during a losing game in which I am sure I cannot be top3 experience maker ?Then start next game.

I sui-scout a lot during beta test in order to end game faster.Because the chevron system is problematic with limited time.

For example, I drowned my crew members in ht on a campy map.Because I won't lose a chevron during the first battle of new perma rank.

In a word, I wanted to throw and start playing next game as long as I can get a chevron due to the stupid rules.

3.What are good tanks for ranked battle?

I think mediums and autoloaders are better than others.

113 and Maus might be good this patch.  

E4, 103b and obj263 are good choices if you don't want to spam gold round.

You can start playing arty after hitting rank5.  Some maps are really hard for attacking side. And teammates are solid to support.

Lots of arty players don't spam gold rounds. And they get to rank5 as well.

http://xvm.garphy.com/?p=19279   Big data analyzing result from Chinese server .

4. Does light tank experience calculated differently compared to medium tanks'?

I guess it's same for all terX tanks according to wot wiki.

5 How does experience calculated in detail?  

A kill with 50 hp. A shot with 350 hp. Tracking assistance with 700 hp. Which one will get me more experience?

For example, an enemy with 2300 hp is in front of me when I have three teammates around. Shall I track him or pen him with 390 hp ? 

Maybe, be patient to kill steal?

http://imgur.com/7soR6l This is the screenshot of exp table.

My tvp got 1 kill, 100 capture points, 900 assisting damage and 400 damage, which means 708 exp.

The  dead 50b in the same battle got 3200 damage and 0 assisting damage, which means 703 exp.

But the sheridan got 750 damage, 150 assisting damage and 3 kills, which means 715 exp. 

6. Learn to climb. I think some spots are extremely powerful.Especially defensive spots. 

Most good players can get around 55% win rate. But top players have 85% "chevron rate".

The difference is how well you can play in a losing game.

Maps like: redshire, cliff, abbey, mountainpass and fishermansbay.  

7. When to play?

It seems like unplayable for some people due to timing issues.

When there were around 7000 players on test server , rank5 could meet rank2 players on test server. And it takes more time to queue.

When there were around 20000 players, I had many rank5 only battles on test server. It's harder to get chevron in rank5 only battles.

The thing is people only play tierX spamming gold on test server. So there won't be many rank5 only battles on NA server.

8. The more tierX you have, the easier to get points!

Three tierXs means you can exit battle when you are dead before the battle finished.

And you can sui-scout when it comes a surely chevron game.

The first two vehicle rank requires 5 chevrons. Later on, each vehicle rank requires 7 chevrons.

9. Spamming gold round. 

For example, spamming gold round on obj140 and e50M to make sure penetration. Not mention super heavies.

Anyway, I would stop spamming gold if a chevron is guaranteed. I just want to end the game asap. 

There was a game in which I had slight chance to come back against three enemies alone. But I just wanted to end it since I could be top three of losing side.

(Kind of like stronghold in which caller may ask you to stop playing in a surely losing game.So that you can start next battle asap.)

Since the rewards are not that attractive, you don't have to keep playing as long as you can get into first or second league depends on your goal.

10. object 907 ?  Spam gold on it.  Balance is a joke.

11. Farm potato or XVM sniping?

For example, the main reason for good players heading lakeville valley is to farm potato. But there might be less potato going valley in ranked battles.

Hmm. It's all about chevron rate.  XVM sniping is fine if it can helps you to win. But farming potato might be more important in a surely losing game.

12. More blind shots and less free shots.

For example , you might won't spot enemy sitting in the middle of lakeville bushes.  And you prob will take blind shots.

13.Try not to waste bonds on directives until you have enough bonds for improved equipment.

Get improved vent or stabilizer first.

14. More communication.  Spamming message to tell people defend base and you are reloading. 

Most people hardly communicate with teammates in random battles.

15. Capture enemy base when it comes to a surely win.

a)save time b) get exp c)cannot farm wn8 in ranked battle 

16. when it comes to an intense game.

Help your teammates after death. Tell them any important info you got. And learn from those good players.

17. Use blacklist effectively.

Don't respond to trash talking which may influence your game play. 

18. Check wot wiki explanation about experience.

Killing shot
I guess 1 kill get almost 1k damage's experience 

Survival
Small flat bonus
Team Damage inflicted
Small penalty, supposedly twice the amount of XP you would receive for causing the same amount of damage to the enemy.
Tank specific balancing factor
Tank specific coefficient, assumed to be 1 for all tanks except the Churchill III.
Courageous Resistance
(Battle Hero, Epic or Platoon achievements on a loss)
When your team is defeated but you get one of the Battle Hero, Epic or Platoon achievements, you will receive the same experience bonus as the victorious team. Coefficient of 1.5.
Spotting an enemy tank for the first time
Small flat bonus per detected tank, double per detected SPG
Close combat bonus
Damaging enemy tanks at under 200m range gives a very small bonus
Scoring base capture points
Per point scored, up to 100 points, if the base was captured successfully

Scoring base defense points
Per point scored, more than 100 points possible

Completed base capture
Flat bonus

19.Don't go normal but useless positions like playing random battles.

For example, this is the initial setup of both teams on fjords of a rank4 battle on ru server.http://imgur.com/57dCSci

No one goes to J4 corner.  Red team take E4 asap. Almost everyone goes to B line.

City on westfield, phishermansbay,highway,live oaks can be abandoned.

20.Good calling before the battle begins.

After hitting rank3, most teammates are able to stick together and rush outnumbered enemies quickly.

Defeated by unexpected lemming rush several times today.  Just tell your teammates which way to go before the battle begins if you have a good idea.

The gaming experience is really enjoyable. Almost every player is green above after hitting rank3. And two teams are distributed evenly.

21. Analyze your bad game replay to figure out a better decision could have made.

22. 30 players are too crowded for most maps like steppes,el halluf.  8 vs 8 can be more interesting and competitive.

On steppes and el halluf, almost everyone goes to 8 line. 

Live Oaks, everyone goes to 8 line. 

Abbey, either take 12 line or 89 line.

Mountainpass, almost everyone goes to 12 line, no one cares about 89 line.

Muravanka ,either take 12 line or 89 line.

You cannot use in game chat in 15 vs 15 battle. 

Even if you have a better tactic, you have to follow others in case of being outnumbered by enemy team.

24. The required number of points is specific to each given stage: 

Stage 1: 2 points 
Stage 2: 4 points 
Stage 3: 8 points 
Stage 4 (end of season): 12 points

I forgot to read https://worldoftanks.com/en/content/docs/919-ranked-battles-rules-and-regulations/

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/guide/general/ranked-battles/

So, I think it's gonna be much harder to get the first league after stage4 compared to campaign.  Maybe around 250 at the end of month for the first league.

And there are lots of wgl league players in the first league for sure.

Well. It may cost 15hours and 7m credits per week to get to the first or second league depending on your skill level during beta test.

I really wish the beta season can be finished asap. 

25. Best attacking route for most maps in general

fishermansbay : north respawn 1line and E line.  south respawn: town and E line. scouting is important on this map.

mountainpass:   north respawn  bridge climbing.  south respawn: 1 line climbing. fast tank going bridge with assisting arty and td.

stepps : 8 line for both sides.

fjords: north side E line climbing B line push         south respawn:  E line climbing  B line push or F line push

himelsdorf: 12 line are better than hill

muravanka: 890 line are better than 12 line.

sand river : north respawn F line and 89 line       south respawn : G line and 12 line

prohoravka: north respawn 12 line are much better than hill  south respawn: both 12 line and hill are good.

cliff: north respawn can only defend without more mt     south respawn:  easier to take f2,e2 and light house.

serene cost : 123line for both sides.

highway:  12line for both sides. 

arctic region: north respawn  K line swimming      south respawn:  A line push

ruinberg:  north respawn 89line                           south respawn:  89line 

abbey:  north respawn :abbey, 12 line or 89line.   south respawn: 89line

redshire: 1234line are better than 89line for both sides.

common mistakes

live oaks: north respawn trying to attack tracks

muravanka: leave 89 line open. camp12line.

himsdorf:     going hill instead of tracks

26: Better 7vs7 format

15 chevrons per rank after rank5 instead of vehicle rank.Unlimited ranks reset once a month.

winning team : top1 three chevrons  top2 -5 two chevrons top6-7  one chevron

losing team:    top2 one chevron      top3 zero chevron  top4-7   lost three chevrons

27. Arty kill helps you to get more exp

You got doubled first spotting exp of arty. And bonus exp of arty kill. And you can kill two arty quickly.

•       
  •  

Edited by MountainGoatNoName, Jul 10 2017 - 00:08.

Slatherer #2 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 29272 battles
Im beginning to think they should not allow premium rounds in ranked battles.  What you briefly said about it really is freaking me out.

MountainGoatNoName #3 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 20:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostSlatherer, on Jun 01 2017 - 20:41, said:

Im beginning to think they should not allow premium rounds in ranked battles. What you briefly said about it really is freaking me out.

Maus will be overpowered that way.

84Doc04 #4 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 20:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17925 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

I'm starting to think that all vehicles need an armor rebalance and remove Prem ammo entirely.....

I'm on the fence about these "super consumables".  I think it's gonna just widen the gap between the good/great players and the potatoe/tomato squad.

MountainGoatNoName #5 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 21:09

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View Post84Doc04, on Jun 01 2017 - 20:51, said:

I'm starting to think that all vehicles need an armor rebalance and remove Prem ammo entirely.....

I'm on the fence about these "super consumables".  I think it's gonna just widen the gap between the good/great players and the potatoe/tomato squad.

The gap between tomato and others  will be widen.  But it's good for most players in my opinion.

TankNoob1960 #6 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 22:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24485 battles

View PostMountainGoatNoName, on Jun 01 2017 - 12:09, said:

The gap between tomato and others  will be widen.  But it's good for most players in my opinion.

HUH??

HOW SO?

Edited by TankNoob1960, Jun 01 2017 - 22:05.

MountainGoatNoName #7 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 22:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostTankNoob1960, on Jun 01 2017 - 22:04, said:

HUH??

HOW SO?

That will be another post to explain it. In short, most players will get improved equipment sooner or later. And they are not that op.

Edited by MountainGoatNoName, Jun 01 2017 - 22:11.

TankNoob1960 #8 Posted Jun 01 2017 - 22:25

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24485 battles

View PostMountainGoatNoName, on Jun 01 2017 - 13:10, said:

That will be another post to explain it. In short, most players will get improved equipment sooner or later. And they are not that op.

Oh please... "Opinions" are like rectums.. Everyone has one..

So... HOW does this resemble "fair" whatsoever..

Let's see.. a SMALL group of uber-unicums get a bunch of OP equipment in battles only available to T10...

They then equip their lower tier tanks with said OP equipment to seal club lower tiers with impunity...

Did you sign up 2 months ago just to shill?

Btw... I won't hold my breath for some "other post explaining it"..

Edited by TankNoob1960, Jun 01 2017 - 22:26.

MountainGoatNoName #9 Posted Jun 03 2017 - 08:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

Wot wiki has explanation about how experience is calculated. 

I am just curious about which small bonus matters the most. It seems 

MountainGoatNoName #10 Posted Jun 05 2017 - 09:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE
reward tanks can be used in ranked battles. updated

MountainGoatNoName #11 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 04:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE
Didn't get a single point today. lol. The third vehicle rank is so damn hard.

tod914 #12 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 06:13

Major

• Players
  • 50790 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS
Question on WR & WR8, does ranked battles have any impact on that? 

MountainGoatNoName #13 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 07:18

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View Posttod914, on Jun 09 2017 - 06:13, said:

Question on WR & WR8, does ranked battles have any impact on that? 

No

MajorVom #14 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 16:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26044 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
Something really wrong when your strategy in a game is to do more damage, or get more xp, and that's more important than winning.

TankNoob1960 #15 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 19:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24485 battles

View PostMajorVom, on Jun 10 2017 - 07:20, said:

Something really wrong when your strategy in a game is to do more damage, or get more xp, and that's more important than winning.

It is not "our" strategy... It IS how WOT is designed.

"Winning" is a SECONDARY CONCERN IN THIS GAME.

PS... Just one of the reasons I have played less than 20 games in the last 6 days.

Edited by TankNoob1960, Jun 10 2017 - 19:27.

Fulcrous #16 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 20:17

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 28972 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Winning is not a secondary concern. To think otherwise is flawed. It is significantly easier to place 12th on a win than it is to place 3rd on a loss. There is a reason why winning rewards more chevrons. Generally if all 15 players on your team don't play selfish and play for the win, you are pretty damn likely to win. The 3 chevrons for losing is more of a "you tried but too bad" reward.

The easiest way to obtain chevrons (in my personal experience) is to 1) communicate, 2) don't be greedy, and 3) play for the greater good.

I don't know how ranks play beyond 5, but you can pretty much tell who the red-line sniper is on the leaderboard by looking at their win rates compared to dpg.

MountainGoatNoName #17 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 23:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostFulcrous, on Jun 10 2017 - 20:17, said:

Winning is not a secondary concern. To think otherwise is flawed. It is significantly easier to place 12th on a win than it is to place 3rd on a loss. There is a reason why winning rewards more chevrons. Generally if all 15 players on your team don't play selfish and play for the win, you are pretty damn likely to win. The 3 chevrons for losing is more of a "you tried but too bad" reward.

The easiest way to obtain chevrons (in my personal experience) is to 1) communicate, 2) don't be greedy, and 3) play for the greater good.

I don't know how ranks play beyond 5, but you can pretty much tell who the red-line sniper is on the leaderboard by looking at their win rates compared to dpg.

Communication is extremely important. I hope there will be 7 vs 7 ranked mode with in game voice chat after beta test.   Things will be much better. Less free rider and red-line sniper mode only.

Edited by MountainGoatNoName, Jun 10 2017 - 23:12.

MountainGoatNoName #18 Posted Jun 12 2017 - 17:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

After first week or beta test, only 280 players entered the first league. It's much harder than i thought. Hm. Only 2800 active ranked battle players in total on NA server?

• The required number of points is specific to each given stage: 

Stage 1: 2 points 
Stage 2: 4 points 
Stage 3: 8 points 
Stage 4 (end of season): 12 points

I forgot to read https://worldoftanks.com/en/content/docs/919-ranked-battles-rules-and-regulations/

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/guide/general/ranked-battles/

So, I think it's gonna be much harder to get the first league after stage4 compared to campaign.  Maybe around 250 at the end of month for the first league.

Well. It may cost 15hours and 7m credits per week to get to the first or second league depending on your skill level during beta test.

Edited by MountainGoatNoName, Jun 13 2017 - 12:31.

Fulcrous #19 Posted Jun 13 2017 - 05:41

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 28972 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostMountainGoatNoName, on Jun 12 2017 - 08:00, said:

After first week or beta test, only 280 players entered the first league. It's much harder than i thought. Hm. Only 2800 active ranked battle players in total on NA server?

They use the top 10% to qualify for the next week or something like that

MountainGoatNoName #20 Posted Jun 13 2017 - 12:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9736 battles
  • [ATKRE] ATKRE

View PostFulcrous, on Jun 13 2017 - 05:41, said:

They use the top 10% to qualify for the next week or something like that

Yeah. I updated the post.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users