Jump to content


ranked battle time frame a sad joke.


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

xeromorris #1 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 07:56

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 17216 battles
  • 141
  • [STUMP] STUMP
  • Member since:
    09-15-2014

I got off work today hoping to jump into some ranked battles to see where and what I can get.. just to find that you are only doing them for a whole 3 hours! nice to know that you have decided to effectively make sure that those who can get on whenever they want get one up on those who cant.

Honestly I am very disappointed. I for one was looking forward to it and now I know that if its not on a Saturday or Sunday that I will not be able to take part at all. Out of the 6-7 days of open matches, many of us who work for a living are excluded from roughly 5 of them. THANKS! Thats just awesome. Its hard enough to try and stay competitive without dumping stupid amounts of money into the game, but to blatantly make it worse is a sad joke. You can claim beta all you want, but if that were the case then after "beta" all rewards and gear should be removed that was associated with the "beta" event.

You claim to not be pay to win, and I guess can technically be true, but it sure seems like the game has become, "pay to stay competitive". I had passing thoughts that "pay to stay competitive" was just in my head until i saw the video WoT posted on facebook concerning premium rounds. In that video it was said and i quote, "for those who cant play a lot they can purchase them with gold so they can keep up.".

all the while laughing while saying it.

was posted to facebook  May 26th at 1:34pm. I tried to embed a link to it from the WoT facebook page, but was told i wasn't allowed to by this site, and i cant link to its posting on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE because it was never posted there or released there.



Huey_Long #2 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 08:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 24298 battles
  • 14,334
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

The whole "i need to play ranked to be competitive in pubs" in absolutely ridiculous. 

Also please learn the definition of pay to... Well anything. 

As the only thing you need to get these bonds is to PLAY THE GAME. 

You don't pay gold for prem rounds. If you do, you're frankly an idiot.

You don't pay for garage slots if you just do the in game missions. 

You don't even have to pay for some prems. Like they do on tracks that hand out free ones. They had rentals.

 

And not only that, but if you're an idiot in the game it doesn't matter if you fire pure premium. When you face something that has armor you will bounce. I can't tell you how many times I have just blocked 4k damage in a Maus or my VK 7201 just because people assume they can auto pen anything and fire into my front or the turret. When they can easily use just simple AP and go through the sides. 

 

Frankly parts of this community who can't figure this out are baffling. So eager to just go "WG IS MAKING IT PAY TO WIN WITH BONDS AND PREM ROUNDS" but most good players I watch don't spam prem rounds and use them when they need them and they don't pay WG other than prem tanks that come out to show them off. 

 

TL;DR

git gud



Scorpiany #3 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 09:32

    Major

  • Game Knowledge Expert
  • 35710 battles
  • 12,921
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Member since:
    06-27-2013
Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

Mustang77a_CMTC #4 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 09:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 32815 battles
  • 18
  • [3A82B] 3A82B
  • Member since:
    05-26-2011

Have to agree about time restrictions.  I teach at night.  Can't play most nights due to that.  Maybe they can have two 3-4 hour segments...one in the morning and one in the evening.

 



jamesboss #5 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 09:43

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 16487 battles
  • 281
  • [OTTER] OTTER
  • Member since:
    12-23-2015

View PostLaceylace, on Jun 06 2017 - 08:53, said:

The whole "i need to play ranked to be competitive in pubs" in absolutely ridiculous. 

Also please learn the definition of pay to... Well anything. 

As the only thing you need to get these bonds is to PLAY THE GAME. 

You don't pay gold for prem rounds. If you do, you're frankly an idiot.

You don't pay for garage slots if you just do the in game missions. 

You don't even have to pay for some prems. Like they do on tracks that hand out free ones. They had rentals.

 

And not only that, but if you're an idiot in the game it doesn't matter if you fire pure premium. When you face something that has armor you will bounce. I can't tell you how many times I have just blocked 4k damage in a Maus or my VK 7201 just because people assume they can auto pen anything and fire into my front or the turret. When they can easily use just simple AP and go through the sides. 

 

Frankly parts of this community who can't figure this out are baffling. So eager to just go "WG IS MAKING IT PAY TO WIN WITH BONDS AND PREM ROUNDS" but most good players I watch don't spam prem rounds and use them when they need them and they don't pay WG other than prem tanks that come out to show them off. 

 

TL;DR

git gud

 

the more premium ammo you spam the more credits you lose the more credits you need to spam more premium ammo the more you need to play premium tanks (and they are smart about it they powercreeped the old premium so everyone will buy the new powerful tanks just to be competitive and make credits) the more premium  time you need and that ====== real world money if you can't get that that means (do you even wot )

Everlasting_Chungus #6 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 10:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 33176 battles
  • 4,870
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 06 2017 - 01:32, said:

Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

 

Not having time restrictions is even more unfair, why do people continually ignore this. A person who has 10hrs to play wot a week will have no chance in the ranks vs someone who has 15-20hrs of time per week to play wot if you didn't have a time restrictions. This whole thing is screwy thanks to the "Damn if you do, Damn if you don't" situation WG has yet again dug themselves into

PUNISHER989 #7 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 10:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 26501 battles
  • 3,780
  • Member since:
    03-20-2013

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 06 2017 - 10:32, said:

Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

 

I do agree, they need to make two separate seasons, and make it available by application so you cant play both.

Make an early one and a late one. that my suggestion for those that cant make the other one specific time. 



Scorpiany #8 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 10:24

    Major

  • Game Knowledge Expert
  • 35710 battles
  • 12,921
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Member since:
    06-27-2013

View PostGravtech, on Jun 06 2017 - 02:08, said:

 

Not having time restrictions is even more unfair, why do people continually ignore this. A person who has 10hrs to play wot a week will have no chance in the ranks vs someone who has 15-20hrs of time per week to play wot if you didn't have a time restrictions. This whole thing is screwy thanks to the "Damn if you do, Damn if you don't" situation WG has yet again dug themselves into

 

Not really; you won't gain or lose ranks any faster by having more time to play. More time might help you get one more rank if you're on the fence and just need a good streak, but realistically, for most players it wouldn't make too much of a difference. It's more about being able to play in the first place.

Dader_The_Invader #9 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 12:33

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 38982 battles
  • 257
  • [-CDN-] -CDN-
  • Member since:
    08-05-2013

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 06 2017 - 08:32, said:

Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

 

I would have to agree and am very disappointed.  I was actually looking forward to competing, but I work odd hours and am normally sleeping during the times Ranked battles are open.  

Shibadogdog #10 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 12:40

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 50375 battles
  • 376
  • [DPS] DPS
  • Member since:
    03-17-2014

How about that fact that this is the same time that clan wars are played? Decided to kill that off did we?

 



xeromorris #11 Posted Jun 06 2017 - 23:50

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 17216 battles
  • 141
  • [STUMP] STUMP
  • Member since:
    09-15-2014
Laceylace People have no idea how many times they have shot a vk and maus "weak spots" with ap and premium and still not penned. But nice job picking some of the most op armored tanks currently in the game to use as an example.

Also its just as jamesboss said. The fact that you want to ignore the obvious is up to you, but try not to tell those who point it out that they are wrong just because you think that if you close your eyes and cant see it that its not happening

Edited by xeromorris, Jun 07 2017 - 02:27.


xeromorris #12 Posted Jun 07 2017 - 02:39

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 17216 battles
  • 141
  • [STUMP] STUMP
  • Member since:
    09-15-2014
"The only thing you need for bonds is the play the game"
So tou say. Except that they made sure to make it ao that tou have to be able to play for those specific 3 hours... and only those 3 hours.

Every example of "free" things you suggested require crap loads of time to be invested in order to achieve, eapecially the on track and missions. And in orser to buy premium ammo with credits, you have to make loats of credits, which mainly means you need a premijm tanks and premium time, and you still cant use premium ammo for extensive lengths of time or you cant make any credits in matches to afford said premium ammo.

You can take your "git gud" comment and stuff it. Like all other copouts ita a jone as well.

If WG removed premium ammo for a month you would watch unicrom stats drop drasticaly, stat padder tanks usage would plummet and people who rely on that ammo would probably stop playing. As to bot hirt their precious stats until it came back.

Stop kidding yourself if you think that premium ammo isnt a crutch. There would be no purpose for any tier 10 to require premium ammo if tanks were balanced properly, the only real usage that would be acceptable for premium ammo would be when you are foghtig tanks that are a higher tier and you still cant pen their "weak spots".  But tier 10s being the top of the chain have no excuse other than stats when they spam it at lower tiers.

I will hand it to you though because the premium spam with auto aim is real, the problem is that higher tier tanks can easily do it to lower towr tanks and still pen the vast majority of the time.

And also by makibg the time frane so specific and so narrow they are effectively alienating those who dont have the evility to just dump tine i to the game.

Avalon304 #13 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 06:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 21373 battles
  • 9,169
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 06 2017 - 01:32, said:

Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

 

As a beta season, with NAs tiny population, both of these restrictions make sense. Even on larger servers, the time restrictions make sense. They ensure that you get as many people online and playing the new mode to get as much data as possible.

 

The server restriction is no different than clan wars, which also takes place on NA east.



Allegra #14 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 08:53

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 8142 battles
  • 629
  • [W-S] W-S
  • Member since:
    12-17-2010

View PostAvalon304, on Jun 09 2017 - 14:40, said:

 

As a beta season, with NAs tiny population, both of these restrictions make sense. 

As a matter of interest, how do you think it will play out after the Beta season is over?

 

Do you think that the population will increase to such an extent that it will become viable for WG to drop both the time restriction and the fact that it is only played on NAE?

 

Do you think that (assuming this mode does actually last past a season and the population increases dramatically - as I believe that you're indicating the need for it to play properly), those who have been playing it this season and have obtained the additional equipment and consequently thus have an advantage over others that couldn't due to lag on that server or due to RL timing issues is appropriate? Or is that just bad luck to those who couldn't access the Beta version? 

 

Cheers



Avalon304 #15 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 09:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 21373 battles
  • 9,169
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostAllegra, on Jun 09 2017 - 00:53, said:

As a matter of interest, how do you think it will play out after the Beta season is over?

 

Do you think that the population will increase to such an extent that it will become viable for WG to drop both the time restriction and the fact that it is only played on NAE?

 

Do you think that (assuming this mode does actually last past a season and the population increases dramatically - as I believe that you're indicating the need for it to play properly), those who have been playing it this season and have obtained the additional equipment and consequently thus have an advantage over others that couldn't due to lag on that server or due to RL timing issues is appropriate? Or is that just bad luck to those who couldn't access the Beta version? 

 

Cheers

 

I think, once the beta season is over, (provided ranked continues and WG doesnt want to run another test season to gather more feedback and data), that the time restrictions will go away period and it will be treated more like WoWs ranked battles where you can play when ever you want. I dont think the server restriction will go away as NA-West doesnt maintain a high enough population to make having ranked on it viable, plus as I noted, CW and other special battles already take place on NA-East so ranked would be no different. If, when the first real season begins, the time restrictions stay, then I think we should worry about people not being able to participate, but for the beta season, WG doesnt need everyone, they just need a large enough, dense enough sample size to gather as much server side data as possible about things like how the MM is functioning within ranked, and how the ranking system works out, which they can use to balance progression time and team balance issues and such.

 

In reality time restrictions for betas or tests is not unheard of in the gaming space. Many developers who run test servers only run them for a very small set of days and even sometimes for a very specific set of hours. Gaijin Entertainment does it for War Thunder. Ubisoft does it for Rainbow Six Siege. Obsidian did it for Armored Warfare.

 

Any talk of advantages because of equipment is silly as the improved equipment is incredibly minor and not in any way an meaningful increase over standard equipment. Anyone who doesnt have improved equipment wont be at any sort of meaningful disadvantage even during the next season (should we reach it).



Allegra #16 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 13:34

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 8142 battles
  • 629
  • [W-S] W-S
  • Member since:
    12-17-2010

View PostAvalon304, on Jun 09 2017 - 18:20, said:

<Snip>

 

I dont think the server restriction will go away as NA-West doesnt maintain a high enough population to make having ranked on it viable, plus as I noted, CW and other special battles already take place on NA-East so ranked would be no different.

 

<Snip>

 

Any talk of advantages because of equipment is silly as the improved equipment is incredibly minor and not in any way an meaningful increase over standard equipment. Anyone who doesnt have improved equipment wont be at any sort of meaningful disadvantage even during the next season (should we reach it).

Hmm.

 

So NAW doesn't have a high enough population?

 

Yes, I tend to agree.....but perhaps if WG were to place Ranked Battles on West, it may improve that issue.

 

It would certainly make some feel that the entire game in NA does not revolve around the east coast - but perhaps that's just me.

 

May be I'm a little naive, but if the improved equipment is so incredibly minor in assisting players, why are people playing this mode considering the apparent loss of credits that have been documented in the many posts that have been made?

 

Cheers 



Avalon304 #17 Posted Jun 09 2017 - 23:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 21373 battles
  • 9,169
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    09-04-2012

View PostAllegra, on Jun 09 2017 - 05:34, said:

Hmm.

 

So NAW doesn't have a high enough population?

 

Yes, I tend to agree.....but perhaps if WG were to place Ranked Battles on West, it may improve that issue.

 

It would certainly make some feel that the entire game in NA does not revolve around the east coast - but perhaps that's just me.

 

May be I'm a little naive, but if the improved equipment is so incredibly minor in assisting players, why are people playing this mode considering the apparent loss of credits that have been documented in the many posts that have been made?

 

Cheers 

 

If WG put ranked on NA west (and not NA East) then the populations would likely flip around... If they put ranked on both servers then whichever server had the lower pop would allow for easier rigging of ranked battles. The East server is the one with the most population so it gets the special battles. Why does it matter? Its like the stupidest thing to get annoyed about.

 

Because this community is dumb. People have whipped themselves into a frenzy over incredibly minor boosts. Everyone thinks "People who have these will do way better"... except if you compare tanks with standard equipment with tanks that have improved equipment its so minor that unless you trade 1 for 1 all the time the boosts wont actually matter. But because people just read that "OMG this new equipment is OP why are we giving good played the ability to stomp harder" they go into ranked and spam gold and lose credits because they want the new "OP" thing and when they get it they'll find that the thing wasnt actually OP and they still get stomped just as much as before, because the equipment isnt the thing that matters.

 

Here check out the Obj. 140 (a common CW tank, and general RU hovermedium that everyone complains about because Russian bias or whatever):

 

The above link is set up (from left to right): Base/Standard Equipment/Improved Equipment/Standard Equipment+Food/Standard Equipment+Food+Crew Skills/Improved Equipment+Food+Crew Skills.

 

Adding food to standard equipment provides more of a bonus than just upgrading to improved equipment, and no one really complains about food. But comparing similarly spec'd tanks shows just how minor improved equipment actually is. Yes, in an outright 1v1 trade fight, where 1 person has standard and 1 person has improved, the person with improved has a tiny advantage... but this game isnt about 1v1 trade fights. You hardly ever get into them, and even when you do penetrations (and even direct hits) are not a guarantee.

 

And yes, before you go there you can argue that: "Oh but what about players with 75% crews who dont even have standard equipment?" What about them? If youre gonna make that argument about improved equipment, then you have to also include all other equipment, food and crew skillls too.

 

Ranked battles has the same economy (as far as credits and XP) as tier 10 random battles do. If you lose credits in tier 10 randoms, then youre gonna lose them in ranked. Ive played 6 ranked battles, playing the same way I play in tier 10 randoms and the only time Ive lost credits is on losses (so 4 of them), especially those where I had to fire loads of gold to try and win. My 2 wins have given me similar positive credit returns to normal tier 10 random battles (ie I make a profit, but not a meaningful one (less than 10k most times)).

 

So why do people go into ranked, and lose tons of credits? Because they think improved equipment is OP and they spam lots of gold thinking it'll help them get to higher ranks so they can get incredibly minor bonuses over what their tank likely already has equipped on it. And when they get there they'll find out that what they thought was wrong, and that the equipment isnt OP (and then they'll probably get mad over that too). If ranked were intended to be the ONLY way to get bonds, there might have been an argument to make for that, but WG has stated MULTIPLE TIMES that bonds will eventually be added to other modes, so even that argument is about as leaky is a sieve. 

 

I intend to get 1 set of Improved Rammer, Improved Stabs and Improved Optics for my Cent 7/1 (because its my pimp tank) and then ignore ranked forever and ever. Because the equipment isnt actaully worth what people think it is.



AKA_The_Titan #18 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 00:46

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 25906 battles
  • 391
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    04-26-2012

View Postxeromorris, on Jun 06 2017 - 01:56, said:

I got off work today hoping to jump into some ranked battles to see where and what I can get.. just to find that you are only doing them for a whole 3 hours! nice to know that you have decided to effectively make sure that those who can get on whenever they want get one up on those who cant.

Honestly I am very disappointed. I for one was looking forward to it and now I know that if its not on a Saturday or Sunday that I will not be able to take part at all. Out of the 6-7 days of open matches, many of us who work for a living are excluded from roughly 5 of them. THANKS! Thats just awesome. Its hard enough to try and stay competitive without dumping stupid amounts of money into the game, but to blatantly make it worse is a sad joke. You can claim beta all you want, but if that were the case then after "beta" all rewards and gear should be removed that was associated with the "beta" event.

You claim to not be pay to win, and I guess can technically be true, but it sure seems like the game has become, "pay to stay competitive". I had passing thoughts that "pay to stay competitive" was just in my head until i saw the video WoT posted on facebook concerning premium rounds. In that video it was said and i quote, "for those who cant play a lot they can purchase them with gold so they can keep up.".

all the while laughing while saying it.

was posted to facebook  May 26th at 1:34pm. I tried to embed a link to it from the WoT facebook page, but was told i wasn't allowed to by this site, and i cant link to its posting on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE because it was never posted there or released there.

 

Try to calm down and think rationally about this, dude. They can't have the battles run 24/7, otherwise people could rig battles in low activity hours, and the people who can play the longest will be able to climb the leaderboards the fastest. Guess what? Now you're still getting shafted for having a job while teenagers on summer vacation get to take away any chance of you getting a reward. The US spans what, 4 timezones? Everyone across the US needs to be able to play simultaneously in the same window of time. If they shift the times forward to give PST more time to play, then working people on EST get less time since they have to go to sleep for work tomorrow. WG cannot set up timeslots that appeal to everyone's specific life conditions. I'm sorry, but if your occupation interferes with the timing of ranked battles, it can't be helped. 



8bit_Gamer #19 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 02:12

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13955 battles
  • 716
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 06 2017 - 08:32, said:

Both the hour restrictions and the server restrictions are a bit silly. It's a game mode that gives you better equipment over other players; yet you can't even play it if your day is busy during that specific 3-4 hour period. It's very poorly implemented.

 

I agree with Scorpiany here. For myself working 3-11pm EST, I am unable to participate at all.

 

Granted until they have cosmetic rewards such as tank skins available for purchase with bonds I really have no interest in ranked battles.



xeromorris #20 Posted Jun 10 2017 - 06:47

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 17216 battles
  • 141
  • [STUMP] STUMP
  • Member since:
    09-15-2014

View PostAKA_The_Titan, on Jun 10 2017 - 00:46, said:

 

Try to calm down and think rationally about this, dude. They can't have the battles run 24/7, otherwise people could rig battles in low activity hours, and the people who can play the longest will be able to climb the leaderboards the fastest. Guess what? Now you're still getting shafted for having a job while teenagers on summer vacation get to take away any chance of you getting a reward. The US spans what, 4 timezones? Everyone across the US needs to be able to play simultaneously in the same window of time. If they shift the times forward to give PST more time to play, then working people on EST get less time since they have to go to sleep for work tomorrow. WG cannot set up timeslots that appeal to everyone's specific life conditions. I'm sorry, but if your occupation interferes with the timing of ranked battles, it can't be helped. 

 

or they can open it up for multi sessions. have multiple 3 hour windows throughout the day. with the way ti currently is, at the end of this first season there will be a pretty drastic gap between those who were able to actual do ranked battles and those who weren't.
an extra 2.5% on equipment adds up fast especially with directives upping it even more. that 10% off reload time now becomes 12.5% now add in a directive for that and that's now 15%, add in improved vents that's an additional 2.5% crew skills. on top of the previous 10% so you actually add that 2.5% on top still.

then to add in the fact that this "improved equipment" and "directives" can be applied to any tank regardless of tier is nuts. its beta.... i understand. but they aren't going to remove the items from players who were able to get them from being able to play the beta. not to mention that you HAVE to have a tier 10 tank in order to even do ranked battles. so now stat padders and seal clubbers will be terrorizing low tier battles even more. so there is no escape from any of it for those who cant play in ranked matches. there is no way to stay competitive. its bad enough that WG came out and actually said that premiums rounds were able to be purchased with gold (in the games current state) so that those who dont play all the time to make lots of credits,can have the ability to stay competitive. it was literally said in an official WG video that they posted.

it feels like they are intentionally creating more and bigger gaps between those who can dump absurd amounts of time/money into the game and those who are more casual.


IMO, they should of made it so that the equipment and directives purchased with these bonds, could only be used on tier 10 tanks and/or only in ranked battles at the very least.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users