• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Thundersleet #61 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 17:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9792 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostPhorbo, on Jul 18 2017 - 20:30, said:

Made it too the Lets Battle Tour event here in MN.  I was lucky enough to have you guys come to my home state and was very happy with the event you put on.  Lots of heat… that was forecasted.  Lots of people…  who knew everyone had 10 “friends” interested in free gear. 

The food was great, free soda and beer to follow. Lots of water to go around, even some brought to us waiting to get in.  Free use of some decent gaming rigs.  And lots of raffle prizes.  You guys crushed cars to thrill the masses

The tank line was long, yup everyone wants to say they rode in a Sherman when its not getting shot at by Germans.  Never a line at the porta johns, huge win. 

Overall I thought it went well, had a line to pick up unpersonalized gear so I went that route.  Being A printer by trade figured I’d just take care of that part myself.

I agree it was great there was an event close enough that I could go to it. Someone brought water to you while waiting outside? While waiting to get in I never had any offered to me nor saw anyone get any offered to them. I guess these events are all about being in the right place at the right time.

I now realize that my biggest mistake was having the courtesy to wait for my tier to be called for the Sherman ride. The way to go is to act like an entitled child. We should have just gotten in line when we got there. When we found out the tier system wasn't being used we got in line right away. That was the start of four hours of standing and waiting while the free entry's with their bulging bags of eBay items got their rides first. While waiting for our tier to be called we had walked around a bit and saw the food and got something to drink. Had we stopped to eat we never would have gotten on the Sherman. That was my choice of what I was going to try to get from the event. I can game on a computer at home, that wasn't why I went to the event.

Yay the porta-pottys never had a line. That is good. But when you are standing in a line sweating out all of the fluids you take in there isn't a lot of need to use the restroom. 

The raffle doesn't mean much when you have absolutely no way of knowing what the winning numbers are. Same as getting involved with the bingo. I still have absolutely no idea what the "Dunkirk Experience" was. 

Yup I can go on. I don't go to a lot of events and this one would have made my summer. There were people there that didn't think of this as anything more than another roller coaster ride.

Wargaming in the future I'd suggest two lines at the entrance and two lines at the tank ride. One line for the people holding "VIP" tickets and one line for the free and unregistered guests. "VIP" tickets just meant you had to pay to get less than and treated worse than the non-gaming free beer drinking crowd. That was really a kick in the nuts. 

Phorbo #62 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 18:21

Private

• -Players-
  • 8717 battles
  • [NASF] NASF

A nice PA system would have made notification of changes and general announcements easier.  Perhaps a "Battle Tour" bus to haul gear and staff. 

Thundersleet #63 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 19:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9792 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostPhorbo, on Jul 19 2017 - 11:21, said:

A nice PA system would have made notification of changes and general announcements easier.  Perhaps a "Battle Tour" bus to haul gear and staff. 

A PA system could have had a large impact on the event if used properly. We happened to see the first car crush because my wife saw a bunch of people gathering in the area. We went to see what was going on and watched it right before we got in the Sherman line. The people announcing stuff with the hand carry loudspeakers would start talking in one direction and turn so if you were any distance away you only caught part of it if you could even hear it. They could have used a decent PA to call the tiers for rides. People could have done other things while waiting for their tier to be called. Having well over 100 people standing and waiting while they could be doing something else is just plain stupid. 99 people is 33 rides times 6.5 minutes with loading and unloading means some people will spend over 3.5 hours standing there. Hey it's great the effort was made to set up so many things to see and do. It's a major fail to have people commit the entire event to doing one part of it.

Shibadogdog asked back in June if they would put out a schedule but they never did. At least then people would have known what times the car crushings would be, when the raffle numbers would get called, etc. The event was just look around and hope you were in the right place at the right time for anything.

If they had a separate line for the "VIP" ticket holders they could have started making the custom swag as soon as people started arriving. As it was they didn't even start on that until after we were inside and signing waivers. That wasn't until after 6 P.M.  

oldiowaguy #64 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 01:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17366 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3
My son and I waited in line a little over an hour  to get in after arriving at 4:15. Later we waited almost 2 hrs to ride the Easy 8, but man was the smile on my son's face the whole ride worth it! Never got our personalized swag, though. A lady from WG said they would send a link through Eventbrite to give our shipping address but it hasn't come yet.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users