Drive a Tank: Kasota, MN on July 15, 2017

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Insomnia_The_Reaper #41 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 16:37

Private

• Players
  • 26221 battles
  • [P2WIN] P2WIN
I, and my 13 year old daughter, had a blast last night at this event.  It was HOT, which made riding in - not on - in the APC a miserable experience. Which was AWESOME! It was an oven in that thing, much the way it was described by the stories of soldiers who had to spend more then a few minutes in one.  It's not often you get to enjoy a little of the historical experience.  Was the line long -and hot which made it seem longer - to get in? yeah it was.  However, that made for a perfect environment to chat with those around us.  WG staff even came over and gave us H20, a squirt of sunscreen, and a hat.  They truly did care.  Once inside, the line for the Sherman was long, as one would suspect it would be.  (APC was quick though)  They had good computers set up to play all three games plus the console.  The accounts had almost every vehicle available in game to play with full gold and silver so you could equip them as you wish.  It was great to meet MeatheadMilitia, Trobsmonkey and Junkershiryu as well as many other players including some from top clans.  WG staff were personable and fun to talk with. The raffle had some really nice prizes including 1080 vid cards and a trip back to drive-a-tank to experience their best package.  (worth some $2500 at drive-a-tank)  The food was very tasty and the beverages were ice cold.  The swag line was not prepared for the overrun of the crowd.  The idea was that they would send you a text when your personalized gear was ready so the line could be avoided, however the printer had issues so they wound up attempting to do it on the spot by hand.  Patience was a much needed participant skill necessary to enjoy this area. All in all, The tanks were incredible and Drive-A-Tank is a rather cool place.  Even with all the Hiccups, my kid and myself had a blast.  We're looking forward to the next one.  Thank you WG and Lets Battle for a fantastic evening, and some lifelong memories.

Painbringer71 #42 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 44695 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

My kids and I had a blast.  free food free drinks free beer free games free picture free rides in an APC free swag up the wazoo. And as I was leaving my son asked if we could go look at a tank one more time..... Random luck but as we are looking at it before leaving The Drive a tank guys asked if my kids wanted to ride on the tank with me to driving it over cars ....WOW IT WAS AMAZING.

Edited by Painbringer71, Jul 16 2017 - 17:29.

Proctous85 #43 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 21:00

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles
I think the biggest gripe was that some ppl paid for certain swag, and other got in free and got more just for asking ppl at the desk. I fly from Hawaii and still had fun, got two shirts, 6 pins, hat, bonus codes, rode in Sherman, stood in 2 long as hell lines,  one for entrance, and other for tank, but was all cool cause talking to WG staff and other players made it all fun. 

Proctous85 #44 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 21:02

Private

• -Players-
  • 107 battles
Didn't get a badge, didn't see many ppl with one either. I just hope a WG employee goes through with what they said last night with the clipboards and give everyone a free premium of choice. 

Jaspo #45 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 22:07

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23829 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostProctous85, on Jul 16 2017 - 14:02, said:

Didn't get a badge, didn't see many ppl with one either. I just hope a WG employee goes through with what they said last night with the clipboards and give everyone a free premium of choice. 

Obj 907 please :)

Thundersleet #46 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 22:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9802 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostInsomnia_The_Reaper, on Jul 16 2017 - 09:37, said:

I, and my 13 year old daughter, had a blast last night at this event.  It was HOT, which made riding in - not on - in the APC a miserable experience. Which was AWESOME! It was an oven in that thing, much the way it was described by the stories of soldiers who had to spend more then a few minutes in one.  It's not often you get to enjoy a little of the historical experience.  Was the line long -and hot which made it seem longer - to get in? yeah it was.  However, that made for a perfect environment to chat with those around us.  WG staff even came over and gave us H20, a squirt of sunscreen, and a hat.  They truly did care.  Once inside, the line for the Sherman was long, as one would suspect it would be.  (APC was quick though)  They had good computers set up to play all three games plus the console.  The accounts had almost every vehicle available in game to play with full gold and silver so you could equip them as you wish.  It was great to meet MeatheadMilitia, Trobsmonkey and Junkershiryu as well as many other players including some from top clans.  WG staff were personable and fun to talk with. The raffle had some really nice prizes including 1080 vid cards and a trip back to drive-a-tank to experience their best package.  (worth some $2500 at drive-a-tank)  The food was very tasty and the beverages were ice cold.  The swag line was not prepared for the overrun of the crowd.  The idea was that they would send you a text when your personalized gear was ready so the line could be avoided, however the printer had issues so they wound up attempting to do it on the spot by hand.  Patience was a much needed participant skill necessary to enjoy this area. All in all, The tanks were incredible and Drive-A-Tank is a rather cool place.  Even with all the Hiccups, my kid and myself had a blast.  We're looking forward to the next one.  Thank you WG and Lets Battle for a fantastic evening, and some lifelong memories.

We were given two raffle tickets when we got there and along with plenty of other people standing in line wondered if we were supposed to fill them out and drop them in a bucket someplace or what. Asked a staff member and was told the numbers would be on the screen inside and if your number came up you had an hour to claim your prize. There was a rumor they called some numbers from the stage too. I guess we had to decide between standing in line behind non-paying people or winning something in the raffle.

The first thing we did when we got there was fill out a waiver. At that time we were told they were giving rides to tiers one and two so we should wait until they called our tier which was three. So fine, short wait for tiers one and two to get done. Checked at the line a little while later to be told "we did away with the tiers just get in line". Sure glad we bought the VIP tickets in May to spend the day standing in line in the hot sun behind people that didn't even RSVP.  I saw people with bags of swag. I already posted a picture of what we took home. We are still waiting for the text that tells us to come get our customized swag. 

Thundersleet #47 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 22:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9802 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostProctous85, on Jul 16 2017 - 14:02, said:

Whoever had the clipboard didn't make it to the Sherman line. I guess we are SOL.

Jaspo #48 Posted Jul 16 2017 - 23:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23829 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

Wargaming presents: Drive A Tank...the Good, the Bad, & the Ugly.

My party arrived at around 5:15 PM. We had gotten our tickets after they changed them from $20 to free. There was still room in the parking lot at that time, which looked like it had just been enlarged considerably. It was 95 degrees with humidity and felt like 98 in the sun.We got in reasonably short line for the APC truck ride over to the event.

Spoiler

We were unloaded into what at first appeared to be a giant mass of people, but was actually a big snaky line of people, waiting to get into the event. We waited in the line for approximately 1 1/2 hours. The building offered shade for part of the line but in the direct sunlight it was extremely hot. Fortunately some WG staff did come around from time to time with water, and we also scored some WG mug coasters at random. At the end of the line we were each given a page of codes for premium vehicles (apparently redeemable for credits instead of gold in the case of already having the tank, which I did), premium time, credits, and gold, also a nice looking medallion, our vehicle ride tickets, raffle tickets, 

and a scavenger hunt card...all of this stuff came with no explanation however.

Spoiler

Once inside the venue, we did our best to pocket our items, having not received the promised bag or any of the other stuff with it. We then went to the food line, which was very short. The food was good. Also Meathead Militia was there talking to people. As we were finishing eating someone with a megaphone (Trevzor?) announced that they were going to crush a car, so we went out and watched. They had a sound system set up but for some reason did all their announcing with a megaphone instead of a microphone, which would've been considerably more effective.

Spoiler

We then went to the food line for seconds and after cooling off in the mist machines a bit, used the adequate portapots, and then checked out and took some photos by the T55 and Chieftan parked outside. We also took a look at the gaming stations but they were rather busy the whole time and we ended up not waiting to play anything. We then went over to the tank ride area, having heard through the grapevine that their organizational tier system had failed and was no longer being used (the majority of useful information came through the grapevine, as there was no system in place for letting everyone at the event know what was going on at any given time) and we saw that the line for the Sherman was long enough that it was highly improbable that we'd get to ride it before the event was over, so we instead went to the APC line which was much shorter and moving much more quickly.

Spoiler

We had to wait only about 15 minutes to get on the APC. Also, directly in front of us in line were WallyWiff and his buddy from Danger Close, and we talked a little about their gold league experiences and such, unfortunately I got my details from last gold league season a bit confused, and also got Deja Vu mixed up with DING NA, and ended up sounding like a complete idiot, oh well. The APC ride wasn't quite a Sherman ride, but was quite the experience anyway. Wonderfully hot, dirty, dark, smelly, and wild. And, our whole party was able to go together, which wouldn't have been possible in the Sherman. However, we neither saw nor signed the waiver that was supposed to be required for the ride.

Spoiler

After the ride, we still hadn't gotten our bags and stuff or T Shirts, so we sat in one of 3 extremely slow moving lines for a considerable amount of time trying to get them, and never did get to the end of the line. We also hadn't been able to determine if not having paid to get in meant that we didn't get custom gear, or if there was a separate line for those who didn't have custom gear; there was no announcement about this that we were aware of. Eventually we gave up and stumbled upon a guy handing out non-custom T shirts from some boxes, told him we'd been waiting in line for an hour or more for our stuff, and fortunately he gave us some T shirts. Meanwhile there had been rumors circulating about the raffle coming up soon at the tank crushing area, so I asked Trobs about it, he couldn't confirm anything. I then asked the guy with the megaphone (Trevzor?) about it and he wasn't sure. However, reasonably soon after this they did start to get their ducks in a row a bit. Eventually they made an announcement on the megaphone, crushed a couple more cars, then, about the time it was getting too dark to see the numbers on the raffle tickets without a light source, and as the local horde of mosquitoes began to descend, they began to raffle off some nice prizes. Our party managed to snag a pair of $100 headphones from the raffle, and it was fun to see other people win stuff. After the raffle was done, we headed out, took the truck back to the parking lot, barely managed to not leave my T shirt behind in the truck, and without any trouble getting out of the parking lot, headed for home.

Spoiler

Overall event rating, 5.5/10

Edited by Jaspo, Jul 17 2017 - 01:01.

Painbringer71 #49 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 02:52

Major

• Players
  • 44695 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Just saying that's my daughter and son in the turret and me driving that tank in the dark

Edited by Painbringer71, Jul 17 2017 - 02:53.

Shibadogdog #50 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 02:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37419 battles
  • [DPS] DPS
I was there at 4:15 took till 6:05 to get in. Played several games and ate waiting for our tier to be called and a text saying the swag was ready by the time I found out both of these had failed. I spent 3hrs in the swag line never got to the end. Had to chose between that and the tank line after the tier system failed, by the time we found out about that the line was150+ long and only 3 per ride. Couldn't hear the raffle from the line I was in . Never saw anyone giving away free prems? I did give my user-name and address to someone who claimed they were shipping it. I guess we will see.

Edited by Shibadogdog, Jul 17 2017 - 03:01.

landedkiller #51 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 04:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7783 battles
Submit tickets on it maybe we will get a response through support sometime this week. I did enjoy talking with meathead and eating all of that delicious food. The waiting for items promised is what made a lot of people including myself po'd. THe event had it followed on what it supposed to be texts for custom messenger bag and t-shirt and tier system for tanks thing would have went more smoothly. I can only think that Wargaming did not expect that big of a turnout. Just hope we see some kind of statement from Wargaming. I had been to the venue before Drive A Tank they were organized at their booths and tables the Wargaming lines weren't however very long lines for things. I hope that everyone had some fun at the event and that Wargaming better prepares for events of this size in the future.

Clown68W #52 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 04:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12059 battles
  • [UGKB] UGKB

Edited by Clown68W, Aug 04 2017 - 16:21.

Thundersleet #53 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 05:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9802 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostProctous85, on Jul 16 2017 - 14:00, said:

I think the biggest gripe was that some ppl paid for certain swag, and other got in free and got more just for asking ppl at the desk. I fly from Hawaii and still had fun, got two shirts, 6 pins, hat, bonus codes, rode in Sherman, stood in 2 long as hell lines,  one for entrance, and other for tank, but was all cool cause talking to WG staff and other players made it all fun. 

My wife and I bought tickets in May. We had been really looking forward to the event because it sure sounded good on paper. We also both took vacation from work the Friday before and the Monday after to be sure that if we had mandatory overtime we could still have the day off. It turned out they did want overtime so that part of the plan worked. My clutch cable broke on the way down and I had to make roadside repairs to even get there. I know that's not the fault of Wargaming, I'm just letting you know what we did and went through to make it to the event. Had my clutch cable not broke we would have been tier one or two. Not that it mattered since the tiers didn't mean anything anyway. We were in line behind people that had no idea at all what Wargaming even is or does. I heard some of these people talking about flipping all of the free stuff on eBay. They just heard free beer and tagged along with someone. Yup people like that were treated better than some of us that actually support Wargaming. I've posted more than anyone in this thread because this was a big deal to me and I'm really disappointed and pissed about the way the event turned out.

landedkiller #54 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 05:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7783 battles
I saw plenty of people like that as well when I checked in at around 5 something lot's of people who just wanted to sell codes. Just downright disrespectful. I also saw people act stupid in other ways which I will not mention. The whole point of event was to have fun and actually get what you were promised and have a good time. The way that they threw out the tier system right about 20 minutes into the event was stupid. It should have been kept to keep the event organized. Most of the day was spent waiting in line after line. The biggest ones were the ones for the customized messenger bags and t-shirts which you were supposed to get a text message for. So I waited in a line for those items because apparently we were told we had to get in line for the merchandise. After 3 hours of watching people get mad and leave the line I left as well with my grandfather we had to because otherwise it would have been hard for him to drive at night. We left around 9:3o I was in that swag line for the messenger bag and t-shirt from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. Then basically some people get their names on a list to receive said merhchandise to their homes. That same privilege should be extended to all who waited in that long line. There were 3 lines each had about 100-150 people in it. I am not the type of person who get's mad but this did it for me. Submitted a ticket to them hope all who paid for the vip do the same only way to get in touch with them. Hard for me to let this go lightly. So I am holding on as should all. Keep it civil in here as well maybe we will get a response on Monday or Tuesday hopefully. Got a response back from support which the rep had me contact Project Valor interesting considering it was a Wargaming sponsored event

Edited by landedkiller, Jul 17 2017 - 16:03.

Thundersleet #55 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 23:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9802 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

Check your e-mail if you didn't get your swag. It sure would have been nice to get some any of the extras that were being handed out at the event. Hey Wargaming do you have any leftover extras you want to toss my way? We didn't even get a chance to get something to eat because we would have lost our place in line. Three bottles of water and a pop (between my wife and I) were all we had at the event. People were talking about getting choice of a premium tank, pins, extra shirts, raffle prizes. I'm glad some of you did more than get sweaty and mosquito bit. What was The "Dunkirk Experience" anyway? There was a lot more we wanted to do and see but I guess we at least got a ride in the Sherman. Thank You for that Wargaming. Had I known what it was going to be like I'm not sure I'd go through it over again for what I got out of it. Although riding a piece of history is an experience I'll never forget. I don't mean to sound ungrateful I know it wasn't cheap. The Sherman's tranny was smoking to beat hell by the time we got a ride so the people at Drive a Tank were making every effort to get as many on the tank as they could too. If that was my $80,000 tank I don't think I would have abused it that much. Pretty tough tank.

Greetings Commanders, 

At Wargaming, we pride ourselves on giving 100% every day to ensure that the happiness and well-being of our players comes first. At Saturday’s Let’s Battle Tour, the demand for the personalized swag, influx of attendees, and even the heat far exceeded our expectations. At times, we were unable to meet the needs of our players. For this, we are truly sorry. 

We understand that as a player when you make a purchase you expect to receive your product in a timely manner. We are working to send out your personalized swag ASAP and will send you a follow up email as soon as we have worked out the details regarding this shipment. If you haven’t yet provided your mailing address, please do so here: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

As for the heat, we are working to ensure that each and every player is provided ample shade and water in the future.

We want to thank you again for joining us at the Let’s Battle Tour event—your support and feedback helps us plan future community events and we will be sending around a survey form later this week to hear from you.

Let's Battle!

landedkiller #56 Posted Jul 18 2017 - 04:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7783 battles

View PostThundersleet, on Jul 17 2017 - 16:28, said:

Check your e-mail if you didn't get your swag. It sure would have been nice to get some any of the extras that were being handed out at the event. Hey Wargaming do you have any leftover extras you want to toss my way? We didn't even get a chance to get something to eat because we would have lost our place in line. Three bottles of water and a pop (between my wife and I) were all we had at the event. People were talking about getting choice of a premium tank, pins, extra shirts, raffle prizes. I'm glad some of you did more than get sweaty and mosquito bit. What was The "Dunkirk Experience" anyway? There was a lot more we wanted to do and see but I guess we at least got a ride in the Sherman. Thank You for that Wargaming. Had I known what it was going to be like I'm not sure I'd go through it over again for what I got out of it. Although riding a piece of history is an experience I'll never forget. I don't mean to sound ungrateful I know it wasn't cheap. The Sherman's tranny was smoking to beat hell by the time we got a ride so the people at Drive a Tank were making every effort to get as many on the tank as they could too. If that was my $80,000 tank I don't think I would have abused it that much. Pretty tough tank.

Greetings Commanders, 

At Wargaming, we pride ourselves on giving 100% every day to ensure that the happiness and well-being of our players comes first. At Saturday’s Let’s Battle Tour, the demand for the personalized swag, influx of attendees, and even the heat far exceeded our expectations. At times, we were unable to meet the needs of our players. For this, we are truly sorry. 

We understand that as a player when you make a purchase you expect to receive your product in a timely manner. We are working to send out your personalized swag ASAP and will send you a follow up email as soon as we have worked out the details regarding this shipment. If you haven’t yet provided your mailing address, please do so here: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

As for the heat, we are working to ensure that each and every player is provided ample shade and water in the future.

We want to thank you again for joining us at the Let’s Battle Tour event—your support and feedback helps us plan future community events and we will be sending around a survey form later this week to hear from you.

Let's Battle!

Actually $320,000 for the one he got I know this because I had been prior. I agree it would be nice to see a premium time code or a Kv-5 code  thrown in. At the usual experience that drive a tank puts on it is usually 30-50 people and they tell you a lot about the history of the tanks. Wargaming did work hard during the event it just should have been organized better.

Thundersleet #57 Posted Jul 18 2017 - 05:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9802 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View Postlandedkiller, on Jul 17 2017 - 21:36, said:

Actually $320,000 for the one he got I know this because I had been prior. I agree it would be nice to see a premium time code or a Kv-5 code  thrown in. At the usual experience that drive a tank puts on it is usually 30-50 people and they tell you a lot about the history of the tanks. Wargaming did work hard during the event it just should have been organized better.

Oh no kidding? Someone that was there gave us some bad information then. At that price I sure as hell wouldn't have beat on it. That's well over twice what my house cost. I guess you gotta respect someone that really drives it like he owns it. 

picofaradpjf #58 Posted Jul 18 2017 - 15:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 19493 battles

View PostThundersleet, on Jul 18 2017 - 04:06, said:

Oh no kidding? Someone that was there gave us some bad information then. At that price I sure as hell wouldn't have beat on it. That's well over twice what my house cost. I guess you gotta respect someone that really drives it like he owns it. 

We were talking to the drive-a-tank guys while waiting in line.  The differential was overheating and the differential alone is a $80,000 part to replace.  They also said it was the longest and hardest they've ever driven the Sherman.   So they were certainly doing their best to give everyone a ride.

Looking on the bright side, $22 and a long wait in line got you either a $500 APC ride or a $1,500 Sherman ride!  Granted at that price you get to drive it too, but the point is it was still an amazing deal.

Phorbo #59 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 03:30

Private

• -Players-
  • 10742 battles
  • [NASF] NASF

Made it too the Lets Battle Tour event here in MN.  I was lucky enough to have you guys come to my home state and was very happy with the event you put on.  Lots of heat… that was forecasted.  Lots of people…  who knew everyone had 10 “friends” interested in free gear. 

The food was great, free soda and beer to follow. Lots of water to go around, even some brought to us waiting to get in.  Free use of some decent gaming rigs.  And lots of raffle prizes.  You guys crushed cars to thrill the masses

The tank line was long, yup everyone wants to say they rode in a Sherman when its not getting shot at by Germans.  Never a line at the porta johns, huge win. 

Overall I thought it went well, had a line to pick up unpersonalized gear so I went that route.  Being A printer by trade figured I’d just take care of that part myself.

WarTornSky #60 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 05:28

Private

• Players
  • 24551 battles
I agree, that shirt is awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users