A series of questions from a tech noob..

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

SealerWheeler #1 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 17:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

After playing with no issues on my iMac desktop, I suddenly started experiencing a change in my tank view. I can zoom in tight in sniper mode and can see my tank from behind as I zoom out, but cannot zoom back as far as I could previously. This is a real issue with my faster tanks. The rest of the game play seems exactly the same, just the view issue. (yes, I am scrolling back with the mouse and yes I tried doing it with the keyboard controls)

This issue began immediately after installing the latest update. I went to WOT support and, when they found out that I had a Mac they directed me to you fine folks.

After reading some things on your forum, I am just learning about the Mac Wrapper. Being over 40 and not so techy, I was wondering if there was an easy fix for the view issue I am having? I tried messing with most of the settings and was unable to resolve.

If there is no easy fix, should I install the Mac Wrapper?

If so, should I uninstall the game. Install the Mac Wrapper and let it reinstall the game or just download it without uninstalling?

Having never used the Mac Wrapper, is it pretty idiot proof (spoken from a true idiot...) to install and trouble free? This is my home computer, don't need to have in issue that affects everyone else(wife) at home.

Feedback appreciated!

MacDaddyMatty #2 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 17:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 16685 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

So this happens to me also on my PC.

I'm zoomed out, click sniper, click out of sniper and can't see my tank.

My fix is:

during the countdown I zoom all the way in, then when the battle starts I roll the zoom all the way out.

This allows me to click in and out of zoom at the extremes and not end up somewhere in the middle.

It was a PITA, but now is 2nd nature.

:sceptic:

Devildog8 #3 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 9257 battles
  • [XILES] XILES
Mac has your solution :)

SealerWheeler #4 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:06

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

That would be great, I like a simple fix.

So you think it changes the starting perspective point by doing that?

Do you guys run the Mac Wrapper?

Do you think I should install it or just roll as i am now?

SealerWheeler #5 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:07

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP
When you are changing zoom, are you doing this with keys or roller on your mouse?

MacDaddyMatty #6 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 16685 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostSealerWheeler, on Jun 29 2017 - 12:07, said:

When you are changing zoom, are you doing this with keys or roller on your mouse?

For me mouse.

Click and roller.

SealerWheeler #7 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

Excited to give it a try!

Thanks for the quick response.

MacDaddyMatty #8 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 16685 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Just to clarify, all roller during the countdown

(I zoom all the way in)

and all roller then when the battle starts

(I roll the zoom all the way out).

Then click during battle as needed and adjust as needed.

GL!

xrays_ #9 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:23

Major

• Players
  • 42029 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

For the future, and when you have the time, research using BootCamp to install a full version of Windows 7 (or similar) so that you can run the game at its full potential within the limits of your Mac hardware. The MacWrapper does a somewhat decent job, but it's not great compared to simply booting into Windows and running the game that way. I've been doing this for years now, and it's easy once things are set up - reboot, select start drive, go.

I can't tell you how to do it, because my system is vastly different than yours (I built my own machine), but the concept is simple. BootCamp allows for a second partition (and possibly hard drive) to have Windows installed, and you simply select which drive to use at startup. Since the Mac hardware is nearly identical to that of most top-shelf PCs these days, Windows operates without problems.

Good luck.

x.

SealerWheeler #10 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 18:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

Thx for the clarification and for the Boot camp advice, I may consider doing that if I experience any further issues. Will circle back if I do.

Thx again.

cloudwalkr #11 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 20:05

Major

• Players
  • 51634 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON
Wait, support suggested you go to the forums for a solution?   Why am i surprised by this?  WoT support is so trash.

Devildog8 #12 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 9257 battles
  • [XILES] XILES

View Postcloudwalkr, on Jun 29 2017 - 13:05, said:

Wait, support suggested you go to the forums for a solution?   Why am i surprised by this?  WoT support is so trash.

SHHH its a hidden agenda :great:

black_colt #13 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 20:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostSealerWheeler, on Jun 29 2017 - 09:06, said:

That would be great, I like a simple fix.

So you think it changes the starting perspective point by doing that?

Do you guys run the Mac Wrapper?

Do you think I should install it or just roll as i am now?

In case you did not know dstud208 has created an OS X/macOS native app - Studly Utility - that automates tasks - e.g. Force Update, Disable Torrents - for the WoT Mac Wrapper.

I recommend that you download it - look for a post from dstud208 and you will find the download link in his post signature.

For this particular issue I recommend that following: 

Reset Wrapper - will reset all custom settings that you have made

Force Update - will force the WoT Mac Wrapper to look any updates to itself [separate from game updates]

With the Studly Utility you can do this with a few clicks ...

Download and install the Studly Utility

Quit the WoT Mac Wrapper.  Make sure all world_of_tanks processes are closed [use Activity Monitor to see and force-quit]

Launch the Studly Utility

Click on [World of Tanks] then [General] then [Reset Wrapper] and then [Force Update]

Launch the WoT Mac Wrapper and follow the instructions if there is an update to the wrapper. 

Wait until all updates are complete then click on [PLAY]

As for Boot Camp - there are advantages and disadvantages.  I was running Boot Camp until 9.18 and have since deleted the MS Windows partition as I am tired of the issues with my dual monitor set-up and MS Windows.  I have a late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina CTO machine running an Apple Thunderbolt Display as a second monitor.  You may not experience any issues with MS Windows and Boot Camp though ...

If you want to run the HD client then currently the only way to do so on Intel-based Apple-branded hardware is to use MS Windows or Linux.  Currently the WoT Mac Wrapper only runs the SD client.

Also you will need to purchase a full-version of MS Windows for Boot Camp if you want to use on a permanent basis.  You can download an ISO from Microsoft but you need to activate it after thirty [30] days of installation.

Edited by black_colt, Jun 29 2017 - 20:55.

black_colt #14 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 20:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Jun 29 2017 - 11:05, said:

Actually WarGaming does post [in a difficult place to find] that they do not support the WoT Mac Wrapper and for support go to this Forum.

black_colt #15 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 20:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postxrays_, on Jun 29 2017 - 09:23, said:

For the future, and when you have the time, research using BootCamp to install a full version of Windows 7 (or similar) so that you can run the game at its full potential within the limits of your Mac hardware. The MacWrapper does a somewhat decent job, but it's not great compared to simply booting into Windows and running the game that way. I've been doing this for years now, and it's easy once things are set up - reboot, select start drive, go.

I can't tell you how to do it, because my system is vastly different than yours (I built my own machine), but the concept is simple. BootCamp allows for a second partition (and possibly hard drive) to have Windows installed, and you simply select which drive to use at startup. Since the Mac hardware is nearly identical to that of most top-shelf PCs these days, Windows operates without problems.

Good luck.

x.

Boot Camp and MS Windows is the only choice if you want to run the HD client on Intel-based Apple-branded hardware.

Boot Camp and MS Windows is the only choice if you want to run the 9.19.1 Common Test client on Intel-based Apple-branded hardware. The 9.19.1 Common Test client does not work in emulation [e.g. Parallels] or with a MS Windows compatility layer apps [e.g. CrossOver].

Lets not even go into Linux ...

I disagree on [...somewhat decent job...] - the WoT Mac Wrapper with SD client runs at a higher FPS than the native SD client on MS Windows [at the same game settings] on my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina [CTO with dedicated 4GB AMD R9 M395x card, 32GB RAM and an internal SSD].

Also MS Windows does not operate without issues on Intel-based Apple-branded hardware when installed through Boot Camp.  It mostly does.  

Thunderbolt and external drive support is absolutely terrible in MS Windows

Apple provides custom AMD video drivers and they are not updated by Windows Update.  There is a way around but it is fairly complex.

Not recommended to use an external drive for Boot Camp - you can make it work but it is very difficult to troubleshoot and IIRC it is not supported by Apple

You need a full-version of MS Windows if you going to use for more than thirty [30] days after installation.  This generally costs about USD 100 for MS Windows 10 Home [64-bit]. Boot Camp [for OS X/macOS later than 10.10] does not allow installation of 32-bit MS Windows.

Does that mean it is not an option for some?

No it does not.

It just means that there is a fair amount of support/troubleshooting knowledge needed.

I have been running Boot Camp, off and on, with World of Tanks since 9.15.  I finally deleted my Boot Camp partition with 9.18 for various reasons - primarily in that I can achieve higher FPS over the same Internet connection with the WoT Mac Wrapper than in MS Windows.

Hope this helps ...

Edited by black_colt, Jun 29 2017 - 21:04.

SealerWheeler #16 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 21:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

Very informative, yes. Quite frankly a bit over my head but good for me to reference back to.

Essentially you prefer the Wrapper vs Boot Camp and MS Windows.

Whichever way i go, it needs to be easy to install and maintain. I have little aptitude or tolerance for computer issues. This is supposed to be a fun diversion from the challenges we all face in our real world!

Are there other people on this site getting good results with the Wrapper?

black_colt #17 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 21:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostSealerWheeler, on Jun 29 2017 - 12:15, said:

Very informative, yes. Quite frankly a bit over my head but good for me to reference back to.

Essentially you prefer the Wrapper vs Boot Camp and MS Windows.

Whichever way i go, it needs to be easy to install and maintain. I have little aptitude or tolerance for computer issues. This is supposed to be a fun diversion from the challenges we all face in our real world!

Are there other people on this site getting good results with the Wrapper?

Yes - I do prefer the WoT Mac Wrapper, on Intel-based Apple-brande hardware, versus Boot Camp and MS Windows.  And this is coming from a person who cut his teeth on OS/2 and MS Windows 2, ran a triple boot IBM Thinkpad [MS Windows 2000, Solaris for Intel, and SuSe Linux] and a triple boot iMac [MS Windows 10, OS X, and Ubuntu Linux]

Went so far as to try and get the game up and running on Linux on my iMac ... not a good experience mainly because the game is based on MS proprietary APIs [DirectX] which will never be released of non-MS Windows OS[es].  

The CodeWeavers and WINE [Wine is Not an Emulator] teams have done a stellar job of making the game work without needing MS Windows in my opinion.

As I do not know what the hardware specs and version of OS X/macOS you are running it is difficult to provide specific options for you to try.  

Is it possible for you to provide the hardware specs and version of OS X/macOS you are running so I and others in the Forum can see if we can find a solution for you?

Edited by black_colt, Jun 29 2017 - 22:00.

SealerWheeler #18 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 21:39

Private

• -Players-
  • 4833 battles
  • [CDP] CDP

I will try the simple fix first, but if not I will gladly take the assistance!

Very helpful, thank you for that!

black_colt #19 Posted Jun 29 2017 - 21:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostSealerWheeler, on Jun 29 2017 - 12:39, said:

I will try the simple fix first, but if not I will gladly take the assistance!

Very helpful, thank you for that!

No worries and good luck ...

MacDaddyMatty #20 Posted Jun 30 2017 - 12:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 16685 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Let us know how things turn out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users