• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

zhymm #21 Posted Feb 20 2019 - 22:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38617 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View PostAD0EN, on Feb 18 2019 - 01:15, said:

Only tried to install after 1.4 dropped.  I heard great things about installing via PlayOnLinux so tried that first.  Installed just fine, but the application locks up as soon as I try to type anything at the login prompt.  Has anyone gotten 1.4 running with PlayOnLinux yet?

I've had success with the PlayOnLinux (POL) install when I've used one of the alternate install scripts.  Last time I did so I used LinuxScripter's install script found here: https://www.playonli...d_Of_Tanks.html (scroll down to find it in the comments) but that was a few months ago.  I haven't tried it recently.  One thing I did do w/r to my pure wine install was study this script to see what additional libraries and dll's were being used.

View Post3bagsfull, on Feb 20 2019 - 16:15, said:

Just install Lutris and run the script on their page for World of Tanks.   Works like a charm and every update Wargaming has pushed works flawlessly.  

My one and only attempt with Lutris was not successful, but that was also several months ago (maybe Nov. '18 ??? and well before 1.4).  They may have gotten it sorted out since my last test.  And 3bagsfull's comment indicates that's the case.  Easy enough to try.  I did use the lutris client found in the Manjaro repository (v. 0.5.0.1-1).  This is the same version from the lutris homepage that dl's from the Arch Linux Community repository https://www.archlinu...ity/any/lutris/

Good luck,

OMZ

p.s. Just a quick mention about wine - the current version I'm using is wine 4.2-1  Some posts mention a preference for using wine-staging instead of wine.  I really haven't noticed a difference. 

Edited by zhymm, Feb 20 2019 - 22:22.

MiddleAgedNoob #22 Posted Feb 22 2019 - 13:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18758 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

Encouraged by what I read here, I took the plunge and tried installing on my Ubuntu 18.04 system.  I am pleased to say that it works very well, but there are some minor issues I hope you can help with.

My system is an Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU    Q9505, 8g ram with an NVIDIA GT1030 running the proprietary drivers.  I followed the following steps:

Install updated drivers:

https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Installing-drivers

Install Vulkan libs:

sudo apt-get install libvulkan1 libvulkan1:i386

Install Wine Staging:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Install Lutris:  

https://lutris.net/downloads/

Install the game:

https://lutris.net/games/world-of-tanks/

After a long download, I had a working playable HD client.  Woohoo!

So, the issues, which are minor.

Although I can play the game in Window 7 at medium settings and average around 60 fps, I'm not quite getting there even with the stock low graphics settings under Wine.  Are there some setting tweaks in Wine or Lutris that could help?  I'm wondering if I have missed some settings or mods that accelerate the graphics.  Running Lutris from the command line reports that Vulkan and DXVK are there, but perhaps WIne needs to be told to use them?

WIne is opening with a window that, while I can resize it, the contents of the window don't.  Then, when I resize the WoT client window, or choose full screen or another setting, the Wine screen does not resize to match.  Advice or pointers on window sizing would be most appreciated. 

I haven't tried, but I presume I can copy my res_mod folder over from the Windows partition and it should all just work, right?

Many thanks to everyone here for encouraging me to try.  I have to admit, it was very easy and I'm very happy with the outcome. 

GLHF

3bagsfull #23 Posted Feb 23 2019 - 22:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2713 battles

Don't run mods but I'd assume as long as it's the same version you should just be able to drop those in the folder on Linux.    

I'm running Solus Budgie and have been since completely dumping Windows before Christmas.    I must say, in 35 years of computing I've never had a completely 100% hassle-free OS installation pre and post until I installed Solus.    I guess there is a first for everything - couldn't be happier with the switch.   Now to go check on the progress of SteamPlay Vulcan and if Skyrim SE plays nice with PulseAudio now - lol.

MiddleAgedNoob #24 Posted Feb 24 2019 - 00:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18758 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View Post3bagsfull, on Feb 23 2019 - 16:48, said:

Don't run mods but I'd assume as long as it's the same version you should just be able to drop those in the folder on Linux.    

I'm running Solus Budgie and have been since completely dumping Windows before Christmas.    I must say, in 35 years of computing I've never had a completely 100% hassle-free OS installation pre and post until I installed Solus.    I guess there is a first for everything - couldn't be happier with the switch.   Now to go check on the progress of SteamPlay Vulcan and if Skyrim SE plays nice with PulseAudio now - lol.

Thanks.  I created a sim link to the Windows partition and use the Games folder from there.  Works fine.  Now WoT is identical-ish on both WIndows and Linux.  The mods work, but some of the fonts seem messed up.

Still looking for speed tweaks.  Also, my ping seems worse.

GLHF

MiddleAgedNoob #25 Posted Mar 16 2019 - 16:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18758 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

I've been running Lutris for a few weeks now and it is working great.  One question, I haven't worked out how to play replays.  Anyone know how to do this with Lutris/WIne? 

Thanks!

GLHF

zhymm #26 Posted Mar 21 2019 - 19:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38617 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Mar 16 2019 - 10:28, said:

I've been running Lutris for a few weeks now and it is working great.  One question, I haven't worked out how to play replays.  Anyone know how to do this with Lutris/WIne? 

Thanks!

GLHF

I've installed the replays manager found in Aslain's mod pack (near the end of the long, long list).  It is also included in Solo's mod pack. 

It allows you to play replays as well as upload them to wotreplays, sort/filter them based various criteria and delete unwanted replays.  All from within the WoT game client.  Just access the replay manager (once installed) via the "double diamond" icon at the lower right of your garage screen (next to the "notifications" button).

DL the .exe file for Aslain's or Solo's mod pack from wgmods.net then use wine to launch the mod pack installer.  Open a terminal, cd to your downloads folder then launch the .exe file with wine.  For example, to install Aslain's latest mod pack open a terminal, then

cd Downloads

wine  Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.4.1.0_02.exe

And go on from there.

There's even a "no mod pack needed" version listed for download on the WG "approved mods" webpage - https://wgmods.net/22/ if you don't want to deal all the extras that a mod pack pulls in.  You can get different versions of the manager to view replays from older (but recent) versions of the game client (v. 1.4.0.0, 1.4.0.1 and 1.4.0.2).  These are all .zip files.  You'll need to unzip (or extract) them then simply copy the resulting files over into your mods folder (i.e. no need to open an .exe file with wine).  Currently, there are two files to move into your /mods/1.4.1.0 folder -

net.wargaming.replaysmanager_3.3.7.wotmod  and poliroid.modslistapi_1.1.7.wotmod

I hope this helps.

Old Man Zhymm

MiddleAgedNoob #27 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18758 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View Postzhymm, on Mar 21 2019 - 13:38, said:

Just access the replay manager (once installed) via the "double diamond" icon at the lower right of your garage screen (next to the "notifications" button).

DL the .exe file for Aslain's or Solo's mod pack from wgmods.net then use wine to launch the mod pack installer.  Open a terminal, cd to your downloads folder then launch the .exe file with wine.  For example, to install Aslain's latest mod pack open a terminal, then

cd Downloads

wine  Aslains_WoT_Modpack_Installer_v.1.4.1.0_02.exe

And go on from there.

This worked well, thanks for the pointers.  A couple of things, using Lutris, running the replay from the Replay Manager mod worked well, but I did not return to the client afterward.  That might always be true, and a function of how replays work, but it is a little irritating.  The other is that you can do the mods install from a GUI file manager.  Select the .exe and choose to open the file with Wine and go from there.  

Thanks again.

GLHF

zhymm #28 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 18:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38617 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Mar 22 2019 - 07:56, said:

This worked well, thanks for the pointers.  A couple of things, using Lutris, running the replay from the Replay Manager mod worked well, but I did not return to the client afterward.  That might always be true, and a function of how replays work, but it is a little irritating.  The other is that you can do the mods install from a GUI file manager.  Select the .exe and choose to open the file with Wine and go from there.  

Thanks again.

GLHF

Two things:

1. Hmmm, my install (non-Lutris) does return to the WoT client after a replay.  Or it used to do so.  I need to test that when I get home.

2. Durrrr.  "Launch the mod pack .exe from your file manager of choice."  <bonk self on head>  That worked so easy.  I've been using linux for so long (early 2003) that I just automatically do a lot of tasks in terminal.  Never think of using (or trying) the GUI.  :P

OMZ

MiddleAgedNoob #29 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 19:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18758 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View Postzhymm, on Mar 22 2019 - 12:29, said:

Two things:

2. Durrrr.  "Launch the mod pack .exe from your file manager of choice."  <bonk self on head>  That worked so easy.  I've been using linux for so long (early 2003) that I just automatically do a lot of tasks in terminal.  Never think of using (or trying) the GUI.  :P

OMZ

My MiddleAged beats your OldFart - I started with Linux in 1998...  Still getting used to these new fangled GUIs...  When I started, real programmers used 'cat' as their editor...

GLHF

zhymm #30 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 02:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 38617 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

View Postzhymm, on Mar 22 2019 - 12:29, said:

<snip>

1. Hmmm, my install (non-Lutris) does return to the WoT client after a replay.  Or it used to do so.  I need to test that when I get home.

OK, I tested this aspect of the Replay Manager just now.  Once a replay is finished the manager returns to my WoT client's Login window.  Not the garage (as it did the last time I used it in an earlier version of the client).  Now I have to re-enter my email & password get back to the Garage.  A new "wrinkle" with the latest patch.

zmaint #31 Posted Oct 25 2019 - 21:01

Major

• Players
  • 11405 battles
How I got mine working here if needed: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/613908-linux-gamecenter/ 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users