Uninstalled today - tired of the rollstomps

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Cheesehead1964 #1 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 13:58

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2817 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I'm sure I'll get the usual cacophony of, "Good riddance." "You'll be back." "You s**k." "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Fine. But I'm done. I feel like I made steady progress in terms of damage done, etc., in the game, and I enjoyed it. But whenever I approached a WR milestone of say a meager 44%, the game would ruthlessly beat me back with a series of roll stomps. As a relatively new player, I'm not good enough to carry and I certainly can't help win games where my team is down five tanks or more very early.

Very discouraging for new player. I didn't even mind the learning curve, but EVERY TIME I made a little progress in terms of WR, the game would shred me and spit me out.

I'm fed up. At least I get 15 hours a week of my life back.

PUNISHER989 #2 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 13:59

Major

• Players
  • 26501 battles
K

Lonewolfpj #3 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:07

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1337 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
Same thing happens to me. But it just a game and at the end of the day it's all about haveing fun. If you no longer have fun with the game then find a new one.

Shrike58 #4 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:11

Major

• Players
  • 56652 battles
  • [SG] SG
I think it takes a special kind of obsessiveness to stick with the game just starting out now.

Ironbutt2015 #5 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10562 battles

Ignore WR or any standard beyond having fun.  Like arty play it, like lights play them, like sniping, brawling, etc.  Find a style of play you like and enjoy.  Turn off chat if that's a problem.  Have fun its a GAME.  My family enjoys playing, my oldest boy is big into WWII history now and also knows the tanks better than I do. 

I enjoy rolling out in whatever tank(s) I am working on and trying new things, supporting my team (yes such players exist) and trying to get the best of the other team.  As it is a GAME you will win and you will lose at times, games are to be fun regardless.

Take a break for a bit, decide what you like and carry on.

_GeorgePreddy #6 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

Perseverance in playing, analyzing your own play, researching, organizing, applying what you learn to your play and reaching 5,000 battles of doing these things will bring an average human to a winrate above 50%.

Edited by _GeorgePreddy, Jul 17 2017 - 15:16.

Devildog8 #7 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 9072 battles
  • [XILES] XILES

View PostIronbutt2015, on Jul 17 2017 - 07:12, said:

Ignore WR or any standard beyond having fun.  Like arty play it, like lights play them, like sniping, brawling, etc.  Find a style of play you like and enjoy.  Turn off chat if that's a problem.  Have fun its a GAME.  My family enjoys playing, my oldest boy is big into WWII history now and also knows the tanks better than I do. 

I enjoy rolling out in whatever tank(s) I am working on and trying new things, supporting my team (yes such players exist) and trying to get the best of the other team.  As it is a GAME you will win and you will lose at times, games are to be fun regardless.

Take a break for a bit, decide what you like and carry on.

agree, this game has turned into total rubbish, and if your not enjoying it, which I agree the losses are really pissing me off, not because of stats, just the principle behind it, its getting very bad here lately 

VendettaPrime #8 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 762 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 17 2017 - 13:58, said:

I'm sure I'll get the usual cacophony of, "Good riddance." "You'll be back." "You s**k." "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Fine. But I'm done. I feel like I made steady progress in terms of damage done, etc., in the game, and I enjoyed it. But whenever I approached a WR milestone of say a meager 44%, the game would ruthlessly beat me back with a series of roll stomps. As a relatively new player, I'm not good enough to carry and I certainly can't help win games where my team is down five tanks or more very early.

Very discouraging for new player. I didn't even mind the learning curve, but EVERY TIME I made a little progress in terms of WR, the game would shred me and spit me out.

I'm fed up. At least I get 15 hours a week of my life back.

you did not move up in wr because you are not good enough, and the teams were not able to carry you also, you skipped a learning curve by playing tier 6 most of the time even after you've been warned all along this is not an easy game and you have to take it slow and learn, my total with EU is 4600 games and it started clicking at around 3k games, I've made the same mistake you did and rushed up in tiers thinking it would get better (54%  wr and green xvm stats at eu and I've n00bed out just like you) you need time to get better and it's not a bad thing to be in mid tiers, but it's a shame you are leaving, I liked you on the forum and think you would do fine in game, you only have 2k games, Thad nothing really, I hope you will be back.

btw here are your stats, believe me you do NOT have the basics down and you are to high in tier for your skill lvl at the moment, you play mostly tier 6 but you K/D ratio and dmg per game are very low, we are talking tier 2 dmg here, you can not expect to win games this way!,that's basics but mostly positioning, you really do not have a lot of battles and all the time to improve!, first learn how to implement things.

Edited by VendettaPrime, Jul 17 2017 - 14:33.

OldFrog75 #9 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5438 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Rather surprised by this, Cheese, since I always thought you were very committed to not worrying about stats and your WR in particular.

I've had the exact same experience several times => focus on a stat threshold level (WR, Personal Rating, Wn8) only to be beaten back down numerous times before finally breaching it.  It felt like the game "knew" and was conspiring against me at times, and losing seemed to beget more losing.

The way I see it, any kind of additional pressure I put on myself affects the way I play and generally adversely affects my results/stats:

Stats/Ratings goals

Activating Multiple Personal Reserves

Obsessive Grinding for Tanks, Mods, Crew Skills

Any of these can make me play "differently" - too cautious or too reckless and both of those usually produce less than optimum results.

I still keep my eye on my stats (most of us do) but I'm currently much more focused on getting a high % of Fire for Effect ribbons.

PS.  It's a game.  Games should be fun.  Play the tanks/tiers that give you the most joy/success.

Edited by OldFrog75, Jul 17 2017 - 14:37.

Cheesehead1964 #10 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:35

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2817 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostVendettaPrime, on Jul 17 2017 - 14:26, said:

you did not move up in wr because you are not good enough, and the teams were not able to carry you also, you skipped a learning curve by playing tier 6 most of the time even after you've been warned all along this is not an easy game and you have to take it slow and learn, my total with EU is 4600 games and it started clicking at around 3k games, I've made the same mistake you did and rushed up in tiers thinking it would get better (54%  wr and green xvm stats at eu and I've n00bed out just like you) you need time to get better and it's not a bad thing to be in mid tiers, but it's a shame you are leaving, I liked you on the forum and think you would do fine in game, you only have 2k games, Thad nothing really, I hope you will be back.

A lot of good replies here and thanks for all the encouragement.

The reason I started at Tier V mainly (and now have moved to Tier VI) is I was told by many that this was the first Tier where the real game begins. I have found that to be true actually, and I feel it has taught me a lot about spotting mechanics etc. I moved to Tier VI recently after spending over 1,000 battles in Tier V because the new MM through me for a loop. The WR on many of my Tier VI tanks is much better than on my Tier V tanks - much closer to 50 percent on many of the tanks where I've logged statistically significant numbers of games.

So I guess that's progress. And yeah a newer player should ignore WR at this stage. But it is frustrating.

Edited by Cheesehead1964, Jul 17 2017 - 14:36.

Desert_Fox_1969 #11 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16380 battles
  • [TAC-D] TAC-D
Hang in there and remember it's a game. Ignore stats and try your best, learn from your mistakes and do better in the next battle. Don't get discouraged. WR isn't everything. 

GAJohnnie #12 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 8896 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Sorry to see you go Cheese.

I was at the same place. I did two things. I asked for advise and I went back down teir to gind a completely different line for something new and fresh to do.

The advise I was given was to stop trying to carry teams. When you see you are on a bad team, simply forget trying to win and focus wholly on doing damage and farming xp. You cannot force your team to win. All you can do is play the best you can.

Oh one other thing. I deleted my sig block. Slowly I am weaning myself off worrying about stats and just playing the game.

Edited by GAJohnnie, Jul 17 2017 - 14:48.

VendettaPrime #13 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:42

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 762 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

It IS frustrating, it's frustrating most of us are not instantly good although we are smart enough and expect to be good, it's a game you need to learn, take a break, shake it off but give it another shot cheese you will be fine, hang out with ( platoon) a bit more with players here on the forum and give it time, ignore the rest ( stats)and try to learn a thing every game and set realistic goals ( like frog, perfect example of someone improving fast and he was on the red side a long time but kept on going), you know it's a game, pixel tanks and shooting stuff, that's all really. 

Well, hope to see you back but if not, good luck to you and it was good to have you here.

OldFrog75 #14 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5438 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 17 2017 - 14:35, said:

I moved to Tier VI recently after spending over 1,000 battles in Tier V because the new MM through me for a loop. 

Maybe you should focus on tanks and tiers that get Preferential MM for a while.  Only play Tier III and the Preferential Premiums you own until you get your confidence back.

Suicidal_Enemy #15 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:48

Captain

• Players
  • 48094 battles
  • [ICB] ICB

I was still drooling at 3k battles,

Took about 5-10k to get a clue.

Cheesehead1964 #16 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2817 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Jul 17 2017 - 14:43, said:

Maybe you should focus on tanks and tiers that get Preferential MM for a while.  Only play Tier III and the Preferential Premiums you own until you get your confidence back.

I'm actually enjoying Tier VI - there are a number of mediums and TDs I like. WR isn't bad on many of them and I always have at least a few decent games each session and ...

Aw crap. Are you guys talking me into sticking with the game?

GAJohnnie #17 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 8896 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Another thing Cheese. Do you play solo or platoon? I find picking up a platoon session for day or two then going back to solo helps me break the frustration. Having even one person to watch your back makes the bad teams less bad and the game play more a social event then a job.

Also this is the thread that helped me regain my perspective on the game. EVERYONE get infuriated with the bad team.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

Edited by GAJohnnie, Jul 17 2017 - 14:55.

YANKEE137 #18 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4896 battles
  • [SOFAT] SOFAT
Look all those bragging 65% players have either 30.000+ games or they are rerolls. Don't measure yourself against them.

MacDaddyMatty #19 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 14:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 13774 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Bummer to see you go. Hope to have you back one day.

If not, o7 to you!

Slatherer #20 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 15:00

Major

• Players
  • 26716 battles
Op, your stats show a sharp decline in wr.

This happens to nearly all of us from time to time.  They will stabilize over time.  Theyll even go up.  Then rinse wash repeat.

Im going to ask you not to go.

Please stay.

Play the game.

Challenge yourself to find a tier where you consistently get at least 1 kill and your hp of damage per game.  Dont worry about any other stat.

Try a different class.

For me, I tried td lines.  2 or 3 shots and ive made a kill and my hp in damage.

That got me back in the game years ago.  Find something that works for you.

Please stay, and good luck.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users