• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

OldFrog75 #141 Posted Jul 22 2017 - 18:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5438 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 22 2017 - 16:37, said:

When I started a lot of people encouraged me to jump to Tier V right away - where "the real game is." I don't think it was bad advice to be honest. 

Thing is when you and I started one of the benefits of moving up to Tier V quickly was that you got to play against Tier III's on a regular basis which made for a somewhat easier transition since the armor and gun advantage could help compensate for a lack of skill while learning the game.

Post 9.18 patch, that's no longer the case.  Tier III and Tier VI are probably better places to learn now than Tier V (which gets routinely over-matched as (-2) bottom tier).

Edited by OldFrog75, Jul 22 2017 - 18:20.

Cheesehead1964 #142 Posted Jul 22 2017 - 18:22

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2817 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Jul 22 2017 - 18:18, said:

Thing is when you and I started one of the benefits of moving up to Tier V quickly was that you got to play against Tier III's on a regular basis which made for a somewhat easier transition since the armor and gun advantage could help compensate for a lack of skill while learning the game.

Post 9.18 patch, that's no longer the case.  Tier III and Tier VI are probably better places to learn now than Tier V (which gets routinely over-matched as (-2) bottom tier).

Maybe for those new to the game but that ship has sailed for me at this point 

BossmanSlim #143 Posted Jul 22 2017 - 18:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 475 battles
When it is 0-5 in the first 2 minutes, my motivation to play really poor and my motivation to quit is high

Edited by BossmanSlim, Jul 22 2017 - 19:01.

VendettaPrime #144 Posted Jul 22 2017 - 23:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 762 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 22 2017 - 18:22, said:

Maybe for those new to the game but that ship has sailed for me at this point 

newsflash my dear Cheesehead...you ARE new to the game, let this sink in:

-2795 games in WOT is nothing, you are just starting out-

Cheesehead1964 #145 Posted Yesterday, 01:46 AM

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2817 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostVendettaPrime, on Jul 22 2017 - 23:32, said:

newsflash my dear Cheesehead...you ARE new to the game, let this sink in:

-2795 games in WOT is nothing, you are just starting out-

ABSOLUTELY. And I don't mean to imply I'm too good for those tiers by any means, just that I don't find them that fun but maybe I'll try a few more games there...

OldFrog75 #146 Posted Yesterday, 02:58 AM

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5438 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 23 2017 - 01:46, said:

ABSOLUTELY. And I don't mean to imply I'm too good for those tiers by any means, just that I don't find them that fun but maybe I'll try a few more games there...

I said tiers III and VI.  I thought you were playing in VI now?

dunniteowl #147 Posted Yesterday, 03:35 AM

Major

• -Players-
  • 16842 battles

Well, Cheesehead, you KNOW I wasn't one of those people that said, "Get to tier V as fast as you can!"  I counseled patience and time in the lower tiers.  That said, I am putting my own advice into practice.

These are tanks I am currently "working" my 100 match advice.

Posted Image

As you can see by this image, I am working Sweden and Russia at the lower tiers.  I am also running my new Locust M-22, a T1 Cunningham (both 'awarded' for Tank Academy and Boot Camp) and you can ignore that M46 Patton KR (won a "rental" tank and this time actually took advantage of it) and there are few more below that.

I think I am a pretty objective judge of overall intensity of action, skill required and/or displayed in play and am, I believe, fairly aware of most of the mechanics in the game that allows me to figure out just what is actually going on sometimes.  I will add that I do design board war-games, role playing games and card games that are designed to be used together, separately or as additional diversions within each setup.  In short, I spend a lot of time on game theory as an academic thing as well as what makes a game FUN or engaging to play depending on the intended audience.

Tiers 1 - 4 are no more or less crazy, skilled, hard, easy, uncooperative, clueless, rotten, selfish, helpful or able than tiers 5 - 8 *( the range of tiers I have played vehicles as rentals other than 5 & 6, which I have) in overall playing.  Is it different?  Yeah, it's different, but not significantly.  Sometimes the games are mad-fast and other times they are a nearly drawn out affair that can even grind down to an SU-18 and an HMC-1. (SPGs)

I have seen nothing that invalidates my original premise: that spending time in the lower tiers is a good thing.  Fighting those Seal Clubbers is paying off in learning how to deal with fast moving pew-pew-pew tanks BEFORE they overrun me (I played with a guy who had 29K plus matches, 14,209 of them in the PzKpw II (tier 2) alone) .  I have learned how to get folks to work together in lower tiers from time to time and that, to me, is a really big thing.  Coordination and cooperation is one of the hardest things to convince others to do if they are not already willing.

I also recommended a 100 matches OR, a better than 50% WR combined with at least a 2nd class mastery.  This would mean that in my experiment, if I am not above 50% WR AND have at least a 1st Class (I grade me harder) I have to keep playing until I do, even after a 100 matches.  I have amended that to 100 matches and move on if it's obvious this tank isn't working for me.  If you check the image closely, you will see that most of the tanks are not going to be an issue in that regard.

I believe this is the benefit of experience in general.  The lower tiers are NOT the anathema most claim them to be.  They can be quite frustrating as well as quite fun.  I got my Lehvaslaiho's medal in a tier 3-4 match. [ destroy 2 medium tanks or tank destroyers in a medium tank of one tier lower than the enemy units.]  There is only egoistic arrogance that makes folks scorn the lower tiers from what I have seen.

If you doubt this, then please go back and re-read the THOUSANDS of posts by folks playing tiers 8 - 10.  The many who are complaining of the plethora of scrubs, griefers and noobs who failed their way to 10.  Then there the folks who they say are stat padders, unable to play as part of team or who farm damage and use others as meat shields -- and you will see that I speak correctly here.  There is virtually NO REAL DIFFERENCE in overall play intensity, skill, etc. as I first stated from all that I have observed.

Those tiers, all of which I play in regularly now as I work my way through my experiment, are just as fun, frustrating, crazy, stupid and well played as any other tier I've played and, while I haven't played higher tiers regularly, I have sampled them and I play against them relatively often.  Thus, the play they see and complain about -- I see as well.  At all tiers I have played.

People are people and no matter which tier you play, you're going to be challenged at some point in play and you will learn something from it.  It's a lot cheaper and generally more amusing on the whole to learn these things at the lower tiers before a rekt tank costs you 20K credits just to repair and rearm, forget the consumables.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Map awareness at the lower tiers is just as important and just as decisive in playing in them as it is in tiers 5 and up.

Projekt_M #148 Posted Yesterday, 03:45 AM

Private

• -Players-
  • 273 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jul 23 2017 - 03:35, said:

Map awareness at the lower tiers is just as important and just as decisive in playing in them as it is in tiers 5 and up.

LOL, right.

Trying to get most of the players in lower tiers to LOOK at the minimap is like getting an Adderall-riddled 2-year-old to sit still.

VendettaPrime #149 Posted Yesterday, 02:14 PM

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 762 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

View PostProjekt_M, on Jul 23 2017 - 03:45, said:

LOL, right.

Trying to get most of the players in lower tiers to LOOK at the minimap is like getting an Adderall-riddled 2-year-old to sit still.

that is exactly one of the reaons why the low tiers are a bit easier for seasoned players, besides crews and equipment.

map knowledge ( positioning) and minimap awareness are probably the most important things in WOT, if you use it you are likely to win more as the persons that do not ( win more, have a better dmg output and kills)

Capt_Nixon #150 Posted Today, 01:48 AM

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 602 battles

View PostBossmanSlim, on Jul 22 2017 - 11:58, said:

When it is 0-5 in the first 2 minutes, my motivation to play really poor and my motivation to quit is high

​I feel ya. MM put me on team rollstomp today ... 6-19 so far, 14 of those losses were utter blowouts. But at least 5 of the 6 wins were close and fun to play. I was playing much better than my average play, but to no avail. It's just stupid programming to have matchups where half your team is slaughtered by the 2-minute mark and shows how little any one tanker's contribution means to the outcome of the matchups (much less so than in Blitz anyway) ... it's all about how the teams are stacked, and today's stacks weren't much fun.

Gtraxeman #151 Posted Today, 03:15 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23061 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostCheesehead1964, on Jul 22 2017 - 16:37, said:

When I started a lot of people encouraged me to jump to Tier V right away - where "the real game is." I don't think it was bad advice to be honest. Tier VI doesn't feel uncomfortable and I don't plan on moving up for 5,000 games or more honestly. I also found III and IV to be much more toxic. What is really left for me to learn there?

Im one of those that advocate moving up to tier 5 quickly. You not going to learn much below tier 4. Ignore that typical response to go back to low tiers. Ive said it before and will say it again......its Mario Carts versus a more thought out tactical game.

In my personal preference, tiers 5 through 7 are my favorite. I like the WW2 tanks the most.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users