Erlenberg south spawn, everyone goes east?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

OLDIRTYBOMBER #1 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 19:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6624 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

I notice this in higher tiers 8+, I'm not sure the criteria of when to lemming train east but it seems to be a viable strat?

There has been a couple games where i'm heading to the west big building and get spotted in the open before getting there and the 2-3 enemy team is already peaking the corner. 

Dead in the first 30 seconds :(

Any incite into this?

Critical_Hit_chat_banned #2 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 19:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27078 battles

Typically south wins the East and North wins the West...once cleared the battle for the middle starts.

They are super testing changes to this map right now to make the mid more valuable...we'll see. 

moogleslam #3 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 19:52

Major

• Players
  • 24789 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

I think you mean Insight.

Generally, unless very experienced, never go any where alone.  If there's a lemming train, follow it.  Don't let it stall.  Turn it into a fast sweep of a flank, then tackle the other flank(s) with superior numbers.  The only tanks that should ever go anywhere alone are fast scouts with good vision and camo.  They can at least see the enemy coming so your team knows when to react, and even then, you need to be able to fall back before its too late.  No one should ever be dying in the first 30 seconds.

South spawn on Erlenberg is generally favorable for the East flank as you can get right under them on the side of the hill while using the terrain for cover while spotting.

If you are going West on Erlenberg, you should always be far enough back so as to not get spotted.

Derp_o7 #4 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 19:56

Captain

• Players
  • 27759 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

Erlenberg. Unless the game mode is encounter, always win the side that has your flag on it. 

(South = Win East)

(North = Win West)

Doing that allows you to reset your cap MUCH easier.

OLDIRTYBOMBER #5 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 20:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6624 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

View Postmoogleslam, on Jul 17 2017 - 19:52, said:

I think you mean Insight.

Generally, unless very experienced, never go any where alone.  If there's a lemming train, follow it.  Don't let it stall.  Turn it into a fast sweep of a flank, then tackle the other flank(s) with superior numbers.  The only tanks that should ever go anywhere alone are fast scouts with good vision and camo.  They can at least see the enemy coming so your team knows when to react, and even then, you need to be able to fall back before its too late.  No one should ever be dying in the first 30 seconds.

South spawn on Erlenberg is generally favorable for the East flank as you can get right under them on the side of the hill while using the terrain for cover while spotting.

If you are going West on Erlenberg, you should always be far enough back so as to not get spotted.

I wasn't alone, 2 other heavies following me. I was the fastest probably 10 more seconds and i would have been able to get the building.

I was taking the further back route through the water to avoid being spotted middle but i guess that made it easier for the enemy team already around the west side of the building to get me.

Or do you mean redlining all the way down avoiding the building entirely and trying to work from behind the west hill?

View PostDerp_o7, on Jul 17 2017 - 19:56, said:

Erlenberg. Unless the game mode is encounter, always win the side that has your flag on it. 

(South = Win East)

(North = Win West)

Will try adjusting to this method no matter the tier or tank class i play and see how it goes :great:

Edited by OLDIRTYBOMBER, Jul 17 2017 - 20:07.

spud_tuber #6 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 20:18

Major

• Players
  • 38885 battles

View PostDerp_o7, on Jul 17 2017 - 12:56, said:

(South = Win East)

(North = Win West)

Which is part of why erlenberg is bit meh as a map, as both spawns have the natural advantage on the side they start from, rest from the south-southeast spawn, and west for the north-northwest spawn.  If both teams play the map competently, it ends up resembling old erlenburg a bit too much.

I kinda like the idea 2 I've seen around which swaps which side of the river the spawns are on.  Introduces the choice of win the side you have an advantage on, but have more difficulty flexing back to defend cap, or have easier time flexing back to defend cap, but have a harder time winning that side.

johnmadara #7 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 30306 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
why do pubbies call every large group a lemming train? you ever think that alot of people go there because its a good spot to go to

Gord1973 #8 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 21:03

Major

• Players
  • 24057 battles
  • [GUNS6] GUNS6

View PostOLDIRTYBOMBER, on Jul 17 2017 - 13:43, said:

I notice this in higher tiers 8+, I'm not sure the criteria of when to lemming train east but it seems to be a viable strat?

There has been a couple games where i'm heading to the west big building and get spotted in the open before getting there and the 2-3 enemy team is already peaking the corner.

Dead in the first 30 seconds :(

Any incite into this?

If you are heading west from the south spawn then chances are you are going to get spotted quite easily. I can't tell you how many times I have spotted heavies rolling west across that field. I often rush in my light up into the E2 / F3 area and spot heavies crossing over. If you are heading that was you would need to stay very far south to not get lit.

Da_Craw #9 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 21:08

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19655 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
You don't have to redline it, but pretty close.  The problem isn't getting spotted, of course.  The problem is getting shot by arty and those camping the hill north of the castle.  Staying far enough south to be beyond draw distance is the key.  Arty is still a problem, but it always is.

JA_Pinkerton #10 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 21:15

Major

• Players
  • 28927 battles
East is the strong flank for the south spawn.  West is the strong flank for the north spawn.  A general plan for any map is to win your strong flank. faster and easily, then flex back and defend the cap from the other flank.

Ape_Drape #11 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 21:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34887 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostCritical_Hit_chat_banned, on Jul 17 2017 - 19:50, said:

Typically south wins the East and North wins the West...once cleared the battle for the middle starts.

They are super testing changes to this map right now to make the mid more valuable TDs and SPGs less viable...we'll see. 

I fixed your post.

BlackFive #12 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 22:37

Major

• Players
  • 22150 battles
  • [-W-W-] -W-W-
East is a winning move from either side.  Much better than going castle 

DeadDotEd #13 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 22:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38241 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

View PostBlackFive, on Jul 17 2017 - 14:37, said:

East is a winning move from either side.  Much better than going castle 

This.

uberdice #14 Posted Jul 17 2017 - 23:25

Major

• Players
  • 22030 battles

View Postjohnmadara, on Jul 18 2017 - 05:58, said:

why do pubbies call every large group a lemming train? you ever think that alot of people go there because its a good spot to go to

Because if you can call it a conveniently "negative" name, you absolve yourself of the need to analyse the situation since it's obvious to you that someone else is already in the wrong, and it's on them to correct their mistake.

JA_Pinkerton #15 Posted Jul 18 2017 - 00:43

Major

• Players
  • 28927 battles

View Postjohnmadara, on Jul 17 2017 - 14:58, said:

The term "lemming train" comes from the game Lemmings, which was based on the myth that lemmings would run around in groups, including jumping off cliffs.

Their are 2 tricks to lemming trains : first, they have to keep moving.  To often they'll stall when they encounter the least bit of resistance.  Your job is to keep them moving, by taking a hit or three.  Secondly, they tend to leave another flank open.  Your job is to defend that flank for as long as possible.  Do this by keeping the enemy lit or even letting them get on cap, giving your lemmings an audio warning.

AndrewSledge #16 Posted Jul 18 2017 - 01:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24067 battles

The weird thing about this map is the meta is completely different between NA an EU servers, apparently. On NA, usually the teams seem to divide more or less evenly on each side of the river, and slug it out. On EU (from my perspective of watching QB replays), it's more of a circular engagement, where the north spawn moves east of the river, and the south spawn moves west of the river into the castle. Watching QB's videos of Erlenberg are always odd, because he takes positions that would be considered really odd if played that way on NA.

I'm guessing the proposed changes to Erlenberg are in response to how the map is played on EU and RU servers, and not here. On the NA server, the map seems pretty well balanced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users