Good News and Bad News in regards to the inability to connect to the NA servers from CodeWeavers

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

black_colt #1 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 19:41

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

WoT Mac Wrapper Users,

Good News

CodeWeavers, with the help of all of you that submitted Support Tickets, has figured out what was going wrong that lead to the inability for some users to connect to the NA servers which surfaced with the release of World of Tanks 9.19.1.

A new WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] has been created.

Bad News

This will require that this version to be sent to WarGaming for testing and approval to release. CodeWeavers is hopeful that the new WoT Mac Wrapper will be approved quickly due to the nature of the issue.  

Currently there is no ETA on when the new WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] will be released.

Edited by black_colt, Jul 19 2017 - 19:43.

CapnNoahJoJo03 #2 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 20:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8197 battles
  • [CEASS] CEASS
Is there something I have to do to update it ( when it comes out) or will Codeweavers update it automatically?

black_colt #3 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 20:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostCapnNoahJoJo03, on Jul 19 2017 - 11:09, said:

Is there something I have to do to update it ( when it comes out) or will Codeweavers update it automatically?

Each time you  launch the WoT Mac Wrapper you should be presented with a dialog screen if there are any updates to the WoT Mac Wrapper.

You will need to install them just as you would with any OS X/macOS app.

Now the game has updates that happen when you reach the [PLAY] screen - this is different.

Edited by black_colt, Jul 19 2017 - 20:23.

CapnNoahJoJo03 #4 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 20:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8197 battles
  • [CEASS] CEASS
Okay thanks much appreciated. 

black_colt #5 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 20:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostCapnNoahJoJo03, on Jul 19 2017 - 11:44, said:

Okay thanks much appreciated. 

No worries - welcome

I am sure that there will be posts to this Forum once the WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] drops which may be a good way to know when to look for that update.

ProfessionalFinn #6 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 20:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14467 battles
I am nervous about Apple Mac with WoT. Been over a week with no patch to .19. Thankfully the file sharing hack is a short term fix.

But why invest time and money in WoT with the no-support uncertainty.  I want to keep playing and spending but this is a bummer.

black_colt #7 Posted Jul 19 2017 - 21:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jul 19 2017 - 11:48, said:

I am nervous about Apple Mac with WoT. Been over a week with no patch to .19. Thankfully the file sharing hack is a short term fix.

But why invest time and money in WoT with the no-support uncertainty. I want to keep playing and spending but this is a bummer.

It is up to you on whether you want to continue to play the game using the WoT Mac Wrapper.  Your concerns are valid. 

WarGaming should have done a better job of communicating that there is limited/no support for the WoT Mac Wrapper - ideally by making you click-through a dialog box BEFORE you can download the WoT Mac Wrapper from their website.

As an individual that ran the native MS Windows game on my iMac - I can tell you that using MS Windows is no walk-in-the-park.  So if you are expecting to just switch to MS Windows and have no issues - that is not going to happen.

A big plus to using the WoT Mac Wrapper is that we have the Studly Utility created by dstud208 which is an OS X/macOS native app that allows us to troubleshoot, correct, reset issues with the WoT Mac Wrapper.  Nothing like this exists for MS Windows.

Edited by black_colt, Jul 19 2017 - 21:16.

ProfessionalFinn #8 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 00:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14467 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Jul 19 2017 - 21:16, said:

It is up to you on whether you want to continue to play the game using the WoT Mac Wrapper.  Your concerns are valid. 

WarGaming should have done a better job of communicating that there is limited/no support for the WoT Mac Wrapper - ideally by making you click-through a dialog box BEFORE you can download the WoT Mac Wrapper from their website.

As an individual that ran the native MS Windows game on my iMac - I can tell you that using MS Windows is no walk-in-the-park.  So if you are expecting to just switch to MS Windows and have no issues - that is not going to happen.

A big plus to using the WoT Mac Wrapper is that we have the Studly Utility created by dstud208 which is an OS X/macOS native app that allows us to troubleshoot, correct, reset issues with the WoT Mac Wrapper.  Nothing like this exists for MS Windows.

Good input. I live in the Puget Sound region, work in tech and have many times for many years walked the Microsoft halls.  And as such always my choice was Microsoft based computational products.  Until 2013. Got so tired of the Microsoft bloat-ware and O/S missteps, I went Apple Mac.  No plans to go back either.  So if WoT does not want to support me and others like me... so be it.  Spent lots of money on poker and will find an outlet for my gaming passions without WoT.   Hope to stay with WoT - enjoy it very much.

Am I in a small gaming minority?  Don't know.

black_colt #9 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 00:45

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jul 19 2017 - 15:02, said:

Good input. I live in the Puget Sound region, work in tech and have many times for many years walked the Microsoft halls.  And as such always my choice was Microsoft based computational products.  Until 2013. Got so tired of the Microsoft bloat-ware and O/S missteps, I went Apple Mac.  No plans to go back either.  So if WoT does not want to support me and others like me... so be it.  Spent lots of money on poker and will find an outlet for my gaming passions without WoT.   Hope to stay with WoT - enjoy it very much.

Am I in a small gaming minority?  Don't know.

Games on OS X/macOS will always be a minority when compared to games on MS Windows.  Does that bother me? - no it does not. 

I love my Mac[s] and OS X/macOS [I have run OS/2, MS Windows including 10, BeOS, Linux, Solaris, Solaris for Intel so I know a thing or two about other OS[es]] and keep coming back to it.

CodeWeavers has a fix that will not require File Sharing so we should not need to wait too long - see      Good News and Bad News in regards to the inability to connect to the NA servers from CodeWeavers    

ProfessionalFinn #10 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 11:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14467 battles
The new WoT patch does not fix the MAC ..... ugh.

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #11 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 15:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 652 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
What's funny is you always refer to opening the Wrapper on its own. I've never ever done that. It had never been an option on my MacBook. I just find the game, click it and play. This recent issue after the update was revelatory because I had never had a problem like this till now. 

black_colt #12 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 16:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jul 20 2017 - 02:10, said:

I was not aware that the CodeWeaver patch had dropped.

What version of the WoT Mac Wrapper are you running?

Launch the WoT Mac Wrapper, go to the Apple Menu, click on [World of Tanks] the click on [About World of Tanks] a window will open - the version number is listed there.

I checked this morning and there was no update and the WoT Mac Wrapper version is 2.0.3 which is not the version number that fixes the issue.

black_colt #13 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 16:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostAugustus_GoldNoob_Sohn, on Jul 20 2017 - 06:01, said:

What's funny is you always refer to opening the Wrapper on its own. I've never ever done that. It had never been an option on my MacBook. I just find the game, click it and play. This recent issue after the update was revelatory because I had never had a problem like this till now. 

That is because the app that you launch when you double-click on in Applications is not the game - it is an app that was produced by CodeWeavers that [wraps] the MS Windows game so that you can run it on OS X/macOS hence my use of [WoT Mac Wrapper].

The updates you see when you are in the [PLAY] screen are for the game itself - not the WoT Mac Wrapper.

Because the WoT Mac Wrapper uses the same icon as the MS Windows game it is not an unreasonable leap to think that it is the World of Tanks game.

The WoT Mac Wrapper uses WINE [Wine Is Not an Emulator] that translates MS Windows calls and API[s] to native POSIX calls and API[s] on-the-fly.  

This is a really neat feat as you are not emulating [which can and does have significant performance impact] and the performance impact has been estimated to be less than 5 percent versus running natively on the OS that app was written for. 

Edited by black_colt, Jul 20 2017 - 16:58.

black_colt #14 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 21:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jul 20 2017 - 02:10, said:

It looks like there were some game updates as the game client version is now 0.9.19.1.1 #502

The game is [wrapped] by the WoT Mac Wrapper [app] so that you can play the MS Windows game on OS X/macOS.  So there can be at one time two sets of updates - game updates [you see those in the [PLAY] screen and WoT Mac Wrapper updates.

finntheonly #15 Posted Jul 20 2017 - 21:44

Private

• Players
  • 13739 battles

View Postblack_colt, on Jul 19 2017 - 18:41, said:

WoT Mac Wrapper Users,

Good News

CodeWeavers, with the help of all of you that submitted Support Tickets, has figured out what was going wrong that lead to the inability for some users to connect to the NA servers which surfaced with the release of World of Tanks 9.19.1.

A new WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] has been created.

Bad News

This will require that this version to be sent to WarGaming for testing and approval to release. CodeWeavers is hopeful that the new WoT Mac Wrapper will be approved quickly due to the nature of the issue.  

Currently there is no ETA on when the new WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] will be released.

Hey Black. Im having the same "network" issue with my mac since the download, but i cant seem to find your filesharing solution on the forum. can you instruct me (or post the link if you've already written it somewhere) on how to resolve this for now?

Also, thanks for being here and helping us not-so-tech savy keep in the game. 

black_colt #16 Posted Jul 21 2017 - 00:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View Postfinntheonly, on Jul 20 2017 - 12:44, said:

Hey Black. Im having the same "network" issue with my mac since the download, but i cant seem to find your filesharing solution on the forum. can you instruct me (or post the link if you've already written it somewhere) on how to resolve this for now?

Also, thanks for being here and helping us not-so-tech savy keep in the game. 

Please see the following Post for instructions -             #104      

Texas_Vet #17 Posted Jul 23 2017 - 23:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1898 battles
  • [ECV] ECV

This is a very informative thread.  Thanks for your development effort to support the Mac.

Yes, I am currently having an issue on my mac for WoT not able to connect to the NA server.  Everything else is fine, to include WoW.  However, this may be a shot myself in the foot situation where during the last update, my connection dropped and the wife closed the lid when I stated something inappropriate  ;)  so I may need to uninstall/reinstall.

Now it would be killer if there was a client consistency checker (handy when I support financial solutions, etc).  That would tell me if the client was happy or not.  That is my question.  As I have time tonight, I may nuke the installation and let it run overnight......  But will try your suggested effort first.

but this is a really informative post, all the comments have value.  Tks, Black!!!

UTurnTerminator #18 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 02:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6737 battles
  • [RGS-V] RGS-V
Great to ehar there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel at least for now. Fingers crossed WOT does something about this quick...

black_colt #19 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 02:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostTexas_Vet, on Jul 23 2017 - 14:52, said:

This is a very informative thread.  Thanks for your development effort to support the Mac.

Yes, I am currently having an issue on my mac for WoT not able to connect to the NA server.  Everything else is fine, to include WoW.  However, this may be a shot myself in the foot situation where during the last update, my connection dropped and the wife closed the lid when I stated something inappropriate  ;)  so I may need to uninstall/reinstall.

Now it would be killer if there was a client consistency checker (handy when I support financial solutions, etc).  That would tell me if the client was happy or not.  That is my question.  As I have time tonight, I may nuke the installation and let it run overnight......  But will try your suggested effort first.

but this is a really informative post, all the comments have value.  Tks, Black!!!

For some users trying the File Sharing work-around proposed by Codeweavers has worked.

Please see the following Post for instructions - http://forum.worldof...0#entry11115120

If this does not work then unfortunately you will need to raise a Support Ticket with CodeWeavers - here is the URL for your convenience - https://www.codeweav...tact-us#support 

- OR -

you can wait for the patch from CodeWeavers - for more details see the following thread -      Good News and Bad News in regards to the inability to connect to the NA servers from CodeWeavers    

I do not recommend that you uninstall and reinstall if the File Sharing work-around does not work as you will have just wasted time, bandwidth, and data for nothing as uninstalling/reinstalling does not solve the issue.

The issue with the WoT Mac Wrapper, as I understand it, is that the WoT Mac Wrapper is expecting a certain local server/client socket pair and if it does not receive it then there are connection issues.

In OS X/macOS the OS sends the hostname to the DHCP server when asking for a DHCP config and it appears this produces the correct local server/client socket pair for some users.

For some users their router keeps track of the valid local server/client socket pair which is why they did not have any connection issues.

I sent an email to CodeWeavers asking if we can get any visibility into when the new WoT Mac Wrapper [version 2.0.10] will drop but to date I have not received a response.

So if the File Sharing work-around does not work unfortunately you are dead-in-the-water until the new WoT Mac Wrapper drops.

Edited by black_colt, Jul 24 2017 - 02:52.

black_colt #20 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 03:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3360 battles

View PostTexas_Vet, on Jul 23 2017 - 14:52, said:

As for a consistency checker there is one in the game.

But the connection issue is related to the WoT Mac Wrapper not the game.  The WoT Mac Wrapper wraps the MS Windows game and uses WINE to do so.  

WINE [Wine Is Not an Emulator] translates the MS Windows calls and APIs of a native MS Windows app on-the-fly so it can run on a POSIX system - in a sense it is MS Windows but you do not get the performance hit from emulation nor do you need to install MS Windows - OS X/macOS is a POSIX aware system]

For what I understand there is a check in WINE that is supposed to supplement the local IP if the requested name matches the hostname but this only works if the app provides the hostname but not if it provides the fully qualified domain name.

Something went wrong in that check that would not allow a connection to the servers.

CodeWeavers has Alexandre Julliard, who was the Project Leader for WINE, working full-time on WINE as an employee.  I suspect that error has been corrected and will be committed back to WINE shortly for testing and release so we will not have to deal with it again.

IMHO what CodeWeavers has done with a MS Windows game that uses DirectX so that us OS X/Mac OS users can play the game is stellar given the hot-mess that the MS Windows code base is.

Edited by black_colt, Jul 24 2017 - 03:15.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users