linux wine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rmrf_you #1 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 16:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 6920 battles
  • [SMART] SMART

Hey guys, I recently installed world of tanks on linux w/ wine. Good news is it works (I reported that to appdb too). However there is one bug that I wasn't able to work around. I'm not able to (with wine) be a peer for updates. I must disable peering in order to be able to install & use the launcher (and install the full application). I know WoT on linux isn't a supported configuration, however if there's an easy fix to get peering working it could lead to a nice bump in your total peers seeding game updates.

Thanks!

black_colt #2 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 19:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postrmrf_you, on Jul 24 2017 - 07:51, said:

Hey guys, I recently installed world of tanks on linux w/ wine. Good news is it works (I reported that to appdb too). However there is one bug that I wasn't able to work around. I'm not able to (with wine) be a peer for updates. I must disable peering in order to be able to install & use the launcher (and install the full application). I know WoT on linux isn't a supported configuration, however if there's an easy fix to get peering working it could lead to a nice bump in your total peers seeding game updates.

Thanks!

Have you reached out to CodeWeavers about this? 

Why CodeWeavers?

CodeWeavers produced the WoT Mac Wrapper that use WINE which allows us OS X/macOS users to run the MS Windows game without needing MS Windows. They also have CrossOver for Linux.

Also CodeWeavers employs Alexandre Julliard as their CTO.  In case you do not know who he is - since 1994 he has assumed the responsibility of the WINE Project and has led the Project ever since.  He is also one of first developers of WINE [back in 1993]. 

WarGaming EU has a page dedicated to World of Tanks for Linux OS - http://worldoftanks...._programs/1311/

Just out of curiosity - what distro are you using?

Edited by black_colt, Jul 24 2017 - 19:35.

rmrf_you #3 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 20:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 6920 battles
  • [SMART] SMART

View Postblack_colt, on Jul 24 2017 - 12:24, said:

Have you reached out to CodeWeavers about this? 

Why CodeWeavers?

CodeWeavers produced the WoT Mac Wrapper that use WINE which allows us OS X/macOS users to run the MS Windows game without needing MS Windows. They also have CrossOver for Linux.

Also CodeWeavers employs Alexandre Julliard as their CTO.  In case you do not know who he is - since 1994 he has assumed the responsibility of the WINE Project and has led the Project ever since.  He is also one of first developers of WINE [back in 1993]. 

WarGaming EU has a page dedicated to World of Tanks for Linux OS - http://worldoftanks...._programs/1311/

Just out of curiosity - what distro are you using?

> Have you reached out to CodeWeavers about this? 

Haven't reached out to CodeWeavers. My understanding is that they maintain a slightly older fork of wine. Additionally they add custom stuff in to make specific applications work. Complaining to them probably wouldn't help as none of the diagnostic output I can provide would mean anything valuable. While there is a close relationship there, it's likely that Wargaming is using something in their peering code that's either not implemented or not fully implemented in wine. Changing that code slightly or helping identify the issue (so I can take the issue back to wine) would ensure that it runs not just on this version of Wine but most likely on future versions too.

Additionally the bug is not a show stopper; it's just going to make it tougher to distribute updates as your Linux users won't be peering.

> WarGaming EU has a page dedicated to World of Tanks for Linux OS - http://worldoftanks...._programs/1311/

This page is a little outdated; I saw it when I was looking around for guides.  I ended up not using it too much. The good news is that you no longer have to manually compile wine for the game to run.

> Just out of curiosity - what distro are you using?

Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty) with wine stable (wine-2.0.2) from the wine guys themselves (they have a deb repo).

black_colt #4 Posted Jul 24 2017 - 23:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postrmrf_you, on Jul 24 2017 - 11:55, said:

> Have you reached out to CodeWeavers about this? 

Haven't reached out to CodeWeavers. My understanding is that they maintain a slightly older fork of wine. Additionally they add custom stuff in to make specific applications work. Complaining to them probably wouldn't help as none of the diagnostic output I can provide would mean anything valuable. While there is a close relationship there, it's likely that Wargaming is using something in their peering code that's either not implemented or not fully implemented in wine. Changing that code slightly or helping identify the issue (so I can take the issue back to wine) would ensure that it runs not just on this version of Wine but most likely on future versions too.

Additionally the bug is not a show stopper; it's just going to make it tougher to distribute updates as your Linux users won't be peering.

> WarGaming EU has a page dedicated to World of Tanks for Linux OS - http://worldoftanks...._programs/1311/

This page is a little outdated; I saw it when I was looking around for guides.  I ended up not using it too much. The good news is that you no longer have to manually compile wine for the game to run.

Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty) with wine stable (wine-2.0.2) from the wine guys themselves (they have a deb repo).

You never know - perhaps they are aware of the issue and a solution - it does not hurt to ask.

No worries - just gave it out since WarGaming is SOOO organized and accurate when it comes to searching within Forums ....

The good news is that you no longer have to manually compile wine for the game to run.

That is good news.

Have not been running Linux on my iMac since Apple reinforced System Integrity Protection [AppleSIP] in OS X El Captain in 2015. AppleSIP threw up a road-block in regards to the boot loader[s]. I like booting Linux from anything but a optical disk/USB and have just been too lazy to look into a way to have a boot loader without disabling AppleSIP since macOS [10.13 beta] and the WoT Mac Wrapper are working just fine for me.

Good Luck - hope you find your solution

Mixai1l #5 Posted Jul 25 2017 - 19:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6 battles

View Postrmrf_you, on Jul 24 2017 - 22:55, said:

Networking in WoT Launcher was fixed in Wine 2.9.

rmrf_you #6 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 23:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 6920 battles
  • [SMART] SMART

View PostMixai1l, on Jul 25 2017 - 12:12, said:

Networking in WoT Launcher was fixed in Wine 2.9.

I'll give that a try! Thanks!

ClydeTheDerp #7 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 23:01

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5633 battles
You might take a look at PlayOnLinux too. It's what I use. It has install scripts for several programs, include one for WOT that automatically disables peering for you. You can also specify a different version of Wine for each program and the install scripts install a known working version on wine for the program being installed.

Also tagged with linux, wine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users