How did you get started on WoT?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

GollumsFish #21 Posted Jul 27 2017 - 22:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11435 battles
  • [GANDP] GANDP

I don't even remember what year I got into this game. Or why I picked it up - other than "it was free."

Maybe the year I started is in my service record or something...

BigRebOne #22 Posted Jul 27 2017 - 22:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8963 battles

View Postjimisphlat, on Jul 27 2017 - 11:47, said:

The topic is seen in the title^^

I got interested in WoT after seeing a cousin playing it 2012 or so. It took a while.

I've seen ads for it for years.  I think I tried to download it when it first came out and could never get it to work.  I don't know why I downloaded it in February; but, I started to like it.  Hated playing lower tiers; because, I didn't understand the game.  There have been a lot of helpful people on the board and in some clans that have coached me along.

I overheated the laptop I was playing on at about 500 games and invested in a new computer to game on.  Been hooked ever since.  Still trying to get better and out of the red.

Beornotns #23 Posted Jul 27 2017 - 22:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20262 battles
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-

View PostBigRebOne, on Jul 27 2017 - 13:21, said:

I've seen ads for it for years.  I think I tried to download it when it first came out and could never get it to work.  I don't know why I downloaded it in February; but, I started to like it.  Hated playing lower tiers; because, I didn't understand the game.  There have been a lot of helpful people on the board and in some clans that have coached me along.

I overheated the laptop I was playing on at about 500 games and invested in a new computer to game on.  Been hooked ever since.  Still trying to get better and out of the red.

Congrats!  Your recent numbers are orange, and just keep at it!  You are improving and having fun!  Well done!

~B

8bit_Gamer #24 Posted Jul 27 2017 - 22:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13955 battles

My father, now in his 60's, played in the beta after his MechWarrior clan decided to try out some other games.

Got 7 kills in my first t1 game and have been hooked ever since!

Been a Tank Commander since 2011.

Tomato_Powa_Is_Over_9000 #25 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 23:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7387 battles
My friend enjoys shooter games, we were bored and broke, he found this free game that is kinda like a shooter (in a sense) and I said okay for the sake of having something to play.  Here I still am, and I ended up playing a lot more than he did.

Taggeth #26 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 23:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10669 battles
  • [FRAY] FRAY

In 2012 I saw a review on a games magazine site and thought it sounded like fun.  Downloaded the game.  Played <100 games and bought a new computer so I could turn on all the bells and whistles.  Last Christmas purchased another steroid computer to keep up with the HD files and physics, etc.  Hope they don't add too much more.  Can't afford a 3rd computer... :) 

Just wished I had known about the early game during the 2 years I missed.

Captain_Rownd #27 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 23:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1777 battles

I played Warships for over a year, and finally decided to give Tanks a try in December for some reason I can't remember.  I didn't think I'd like Tanks until I tried it.  Now I play almost all Tanks except when Warships releases new lines.  (I started playing Warships while waiting for Naval Action early release, and although I like Warships I'm mostly playing Naval Action now due to limited time)

Sventex #28 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 23:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3498 battles

I've played World of Warships since it's release, when usually during an event, some people on the forums will let us know when there's some kind of free give away in World of Tanks.  Usually during Christmas/New Years, so I took that opportunity to download the game and take advantage of the free offer.  Admittedly, I was not impressed with the game, tanks in the low tiers were often destroyed in a single hit, or within a single second, the concealment system was not adequately explained and the game starts off with a bunch of light tanks which saw the worst kind of +3 matchmaking.  It was kind of hard to fathom, coming from World of Warships why the game would put tanks into a situation where it was 95% useless, and the only thing team-chat ever say was "working as intended".  At the time, spotting damage was not indicated to me in battle, so I ended just suicide scouting when bottom tier since that was seemingly the only way to accomplish something, ANYTHING.  Even on premium, this game is very new player unfriendly, you hardly earn any credits so that your 50% crews don't get trained and not having a camo net or even understanding all the maps makes scouting pretty much impossible.  

It's only after they fixed light tank MM that I've actually got into the game in any serious way.  Before I'd just play a few rounds in my T7 Combat car, and maybe pray to get a decent MM for my luchs, and that was it.  What I like in WoT over WoWs are the autocannon tanks, there is no equivalent in WoWs which only has single fire naval guns.  People complain about camping in WoWs, but generally speaking, ships that aren't moving at extremely vulnerable, so even if the teams aren't moving up, they still moving and being spotted so the rounds don't just halt all of a sudden.

Edited by Sventex, Jul 30 2017 - 04:33.

ArtyAardvark #29 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 00:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18194 battles
  • [PTRB] PTRB

Played pretty much every tank and war game starting with the earliest Avalon Hill  games and Squad leader series, GDW Europa series, miniatures, etc. Like tanks, game has tanks. 

Worland #30 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 03:12

Major

• Players
  • 16506 battles
Kept seeing ads in my military history magazines back in 2012. Kids dowoaded it first. Then I went around yoloing for a few years before actually trying to win.

VendettaPrime #31 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 11:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 941 battles

My best RL buddy introduced me to the game in 2012, I ignored the game due to the fact I was recovering from a serious gaming addiction ( as in hardly any sleep and all that matters is the game)..but in 2013 I started anyway ( he kept nagging me how fun it was and so on).. I had a lot of fun up until around 4000 games ( on the EU btw), I had the same stats as here, almost teal and around 54% wr, my son started playing on my account and well he had a lot of fun let's keep it at that, in the meantime I got interested in the NA server ( I watched anfield, and players from clans like Bulba/relic and G on YT and twitch ), NA looked like a lot more fun and the the toxic player base  and really stupid gameplay on EU really started to annoy me( chat is off for my son btw).., so my account on EU is played by my son, never touched it again and after a 9 month break from the game I started here on NA, I like it a lot, only English in chat and I did see some ppl from the EU server here on the forum I liked over there. I'm a casual gamer now and do enjoy the game a lot again, now I have to figure out how to get to teal first and how to improve myself in the little time I have to play.

my buddy is still playing btw, almost every day, he is in QSF and keeps trying to get me over there to platoon and to join QSF.. I will not.. I don't like EU I like NA, WG should recon this great server and player base, you are all great.

Edited by VendettaPrime, Jul 29 2017 - 11:57.

kunclebuc #32 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 15:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 9288 battles
Saw a commercial on the Discovery channel. Said it was free so I thought that I would give it a try.

24cups #33 Posted Jul 29 2017 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20534 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

My brother was a beta tester wayyyy back. BUT HE DIDN'T TELL ME.

Saw a commercial and tried it, got immediately hooked, called my brother to tell him, he says " oh yeah, I was a tester for that thing. Got some free tanks. Maybe I should get back into it".

My revenge, he's hooked too !!!

Necrolegion #34 Posted Jul 30 2017 - 00:43

Major

• Players
  • 15860 battles

Honestly, I heard about this game back in 2010 on Youtube.

I downloaded it and tried it on my old desktop (Intel Pentium) with integrated graphics. I could not run it (PC would freeze). So then I would look at youtubers at the time and watch them play instead. It wasn't until a year later when I started college that I bought a laptop with an AMD APU that I was able to play it. It sucks though, because I was there when they had the preorder bundles and didn't think about buying into a game I hadn't played yet. I didn't know at that time that those bundles were going to be limited for preorder only!

firekitty #35 Posted Aug 01 2017 - 12:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34442 battles
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR

I am sorry, but this is likely going to be a long read, but others know it and have said wow, cool.

I was into a game called Age of Conan when WoT started in NA. My now late husband was one of the first on it ( tanks) etc. He played it a few months, and finally I gave it a shot. I had played a couple months or so, and my husband was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor, and passed away with in 6 months of the diagnosis. I was 6 months pregnant at the time.

We owned a medium sized construction company, and I worked as a medic in the oil field. I was now a pregnant widow with a responsibility to my now employees, and suffering immense grief from losing my husband. So ya, I basically became a basket case, hired a manager, and as I cared for my baby, sat and played tanks. 

The problem was, I was so overwhelmed by grief, I'd forget I was even playing tanks, didn't care if won or lost. That lasted almost a year. Then, I met some good people in game, and ya know what? They helped me pull out of my grief. It was from their help I decided to stop being a stupid mindless zombie- still stupid and mindless some times, but no longer a zombie lmbo.

But, from my error before, my stats took a heavy blow. I could have rerolled, but chose not to. Why? Because I see my crappy stats- yes, they are, and always will be a reflection from my time of grief, but see them as a badge of honour, knowing, yes, I lost some one I loved, and this is how much it affected me.

Since, I have started my military career- " Best job in my life ! " - some of yous will get that lol. I sold my inherited construction company and did well from it, ending up marrying  the manager that was hired. He is also my late husband's best friend and knew him longer than I did.

I share all this because I hope some will realize, when see a person with poor or not so great stats, there may be a story behind it. I also share this because, as mentioned, I met some good people on this game, who helped me during the darkest time in my life. That speaks for the quality of many in the tank community.

In closing, I will say my tanking abilities have improved enough I have enjoyed a few seasons in league, and as soon as get caught up in some grinding, hope to have more viable tanks for a run at a spot come fall session. Thanks to those who helped.

Edited by firekitty, Aug 01 2017 - 12:48.

Chinghis #36 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 06:59

Private

• -Players-
  • 887 battles

View PostArtyAardvark, on Jul 29 2017 - 00:16, said:

Played pretty much every tank and war game starting with the earliest Avalon Hill  games and Squad leader series, GDW Europa series, miniatures, etc. Like tanks, game has tanks. 

I just love playing with tanks, I guess. Built models when I was kid, played a lot of Micro-Armor (1/285th scale, I think) and most other wargames back in the day. Tanks have always been my favorite thing. I heard about this in beta, I think, registered, but didn't start playing until I picked it up on XBox last year. Then moved over here to PC a few months ago.

nuclearguy931 #37 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 07:07

Major

• Players
  • 69626 battles
  • [UMM] UMM

Aug. 2011. My son said "hey dad, check this game out". 68,000+ battles later, I guess you could say I like it.

It's a great game to play at night after work when the wife and kid are in bed. I have met a lot of friends in the time I have been here.

miklkit #38 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 18:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8526 battles
Too old to race cars online anymore so now i race tanks online, plus I get to blow stuff up.  What's not to like?

matiasrgv #39 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 22:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 5362 battles
At this time i don't remenber when i start..maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Wot had just 4 lines at this time and i begun with american and german heavy line. Was a good times..with just a few tanks per nation

The_Goblin_King #40 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48183 battles
  • [NZ] NZ
A friend dragged me into the game just after it was released.  He no longer plays but I am still here. Go figure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users