• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

riff_ #21 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

View PostPanzerkind, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:37, said:

Yes I do, of course.

But, like i said, the sun is 8 light-minutes away. If something were to happen, it would have happened by now.

500 seconds not 480... noob:izmena:

Bsan77 #22 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 21:50

Captain

• Players
  • 12878 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I to trust the guy who leaves no sources or credentials ANYWHERE. I can sit at my computer screen and say "Hey look, we're gonna get rekt by this thing." The dude is a conspiracy theorist who bans/blocks anyone from his channel who questions his statements. He provides no evidence except a video of a solar flare. Solar flares happen all the time, and the large ones are sometimes accompanied by CMEs, we all know that if a big one hits us, we're in trouble. According to NASA, there may be as much as a 12% chance of a similar event occurring between 2012 and 2022(as the one that barely missed us in 2012 that would've crippled our infrastructure). That is a worst case scenario prediction, and it is actually much less likely for one to hit us.

riff_ #23 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 21:54

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

View PostBsan77, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:50, said:

I to trust the guy who leaves no sources or credentials ANYWHERE. I can sit at my computer screen and say "Hey look, we're gonna get rekt by this thing." The dude is a conspiracy theorist who bans/blocks anyone from his channel who questions his statements. He provides no evidence except a video of a solar flare. Solar flares happen all the time, and the large ones are sometimes accompanied by CMEs, we all know that if a big one hits us, we're in trouble. According to NASA, there may be as much as a 12% chance of a similar event occurring between 2012 and 2022(as the one that barely missed us in 2012 that would've crippled our infrastructure). That is a worst case scenario prediction, and it is actually much less likely for one to hit us.

I do not know about you, but I am having all kinds of fun with this thread.

Edited by riff_, Jul 28 2017 - 22:11.

Pipinghot #24 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 25826 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Post120mm_he, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:25, said:

View PostDevildog8, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:21, said:

come on dude something would be said, losing the power grid would be catastrophic its not something they would keep to themselves  

I expanded my first post but to reiterate it would not be to the governments benefit to warn the general populace. This would not be due to some evil intent but to ensure they could get troops to all the major distribution centers and get the police and national guard ready for the ensuing chaos. No. The first thing you would know of an upcoming blackout event would be troops showing up at the malls and on ramps and such.

Apparently you've never heard of a secretive branch of society known as "the news media" - even the most honest news organization simply loves sensationalism, (if it bleeds, it leads). There are thousands of people around the world who would be only too happy to try to get lots of eyeballs on their page/channel by yelling about this like the sky is falling.

You really need to attend tin-foil-hat-reduction therapy.

Nunya_000 #25 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 21:56

Major

• Players
  • 20656 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
As long as it doesn't happen until Monday.  I don't want it to ruin my weekend.

120mm_he #26 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 13603 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View Postriff_, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:47, said:

I play at work.  I work at a Fire Station.  Looks like I lose both ways.  :(

The ironic part is that for the most part this will be harmless to the earth itself. A few birds and such might get lost in the ensuing magnetic chaos but otherwise the world of beasts and environment is unchanged past the pretty colors in the sky.

View PostBsan77, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:50, said:

Oh the vid I linked? That was just a random vid to show the sunspots location and where it will show up. I don't even know the guys beliefs nor care. Besides klatuu linked the same info from another source that is hopefully more believable to you.

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:55, said:

Apparently you've never heard of a secretive branch of society known as "the news media" - even the most honest news organization simply loves sensationalism, (if it bleeds, it leads). There are thousands of people around the world who would be only too happy to try to get lots of eyeballs on their page/channel by yelling about this like the sky is falling.

Hahahahahaha.. Like you could pry the media off of Trump with something as passe as a possible global blackout. :trollface:

Klaatu_Nicto #27 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 43941 battles

Bsan77 #28 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:01

Captain

• Players
  • 12878 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View Postriff_, on Jul 28 2017 - 14:54, said:

I do not know about you, but I am have all kinds of fun with this thread.

Gotta love people who will believe anything they see/hear without ever doing any fact-checking... xD

riff_ #29 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:03

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:55, said:

This song may apply to your post.  Or not.

Klaatu_Nicto #30 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:03

Major

• Players
  • 43941 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 28 2017 - 12:56, said:

Your weekend is safe but my Friday started out bad. Just as I was loading into a WOWS battle my power went out. Luckily it was not a ranked battle. Got power back an hour later.

riff_ #31 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:56, said:

I don't like Mondays.

Bsan77 #32 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:07

Captain

• Players
  • 12878 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View Post120mm_he, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:00, said:

Oh the vid I linked? That was just a random vid to show the sunspots location and where it will show up. I don't even know the guys beliefs nor care. Besides klatuu linked the same info from another source that is hopefully more believable to you.

Oh, you mean another conspiracy theorist???

There’s no reason you would know who Ben Davidson is, unless you’re one of the 250,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel, Suspicious 0bservers, which boasts of providing “the best open sources of information on Earth.” Every morning, all year-round, he posts dispatches from his explorations into “the frontiers of solar and planetary science.” In Davidson’s world, earthquakes can be predicted by looking at the Earth’s electromagnetic output, the sun directly influences things like suicides and crime rates, and water rains down from outer space.

He also holds forth on common conspiracy theories about Agenda 21 (a United Nations sustainability plan often cited as a cover for a coming New World Order), chemtrails (jet aircraft trails said to secretly contain dangerous chemicals), and global warming. In a typical video, he claims that global warming isn’t happening, and also that the government is secretly spraying chemicals into the air to stop global warming. And that another ice age is around the corner.

riff_ #33 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:09

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

View PostKlaatu_Nicto, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:03, said:

Your weekend is safe but my Friday started out bad. Just as I was loading into a WOWS battle my power went out. Luckily it was not a ranked battle. Got power back an hour later.

I believe that we talked about something like this before.  But if your power goes out it may be the first sign that the Feds are about to kick down your door and raid your house.:hiding:

120mm_he #34 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 13603 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View PostBsan77, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:01, said:

Gotta love people who will believe anything they see/hear without ever doing any fact-checking... xD

So it's not a fact that a massive sunspot has formed that when it faces the earth and erupts it would knock us back to the 18th century? This isn't conjecture its cold hard facts. Search up the info on this particular spot. Who knows if it will actually erupt when it gets within earths arc but with two massive blasts so far and increasing activity the odds are not looking good for a quiet period when it faces us. What could possibly be wrong with being informed? It's not like I'm advocating running out and spending your lifes savings on a shtf kit or something. Do with the info as you will.

View PostBsan77, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:07, said:

Oh, you mean another conspiracy theorist???

There’s no reason you would know who Ben Davidson is, unless you’re one of the 250,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel, Suspicious 0bservers, which boasts of providing “the best open sources of information on Earth.” Every morning, all year-round, he posts dispatches from his explorations into “the frontiers of solar and planetary science.” In Davidson’s world, earthquakes can be predicted by looking at the Earth’s electromagnetic output, the sun directly influences things like suicides and crime rates, and water rains down from outer space.

He also holds forth on common conspiracy theories about Agenda 21 (a United Nations sustainability plan often cited as a cover for a coming New World Order), chemtrails (jet aircraft trails said to secretly contain dangerous chemicals), and global warming. In a typical video, he claims that global warming isn’t happening, and also that the government is secretly spraying chemicals into the air to stop global warming. And that another ice age is around the corner.

Oh jesus christ. Who gives a flying [edited] what he believes. Here look through the nasa links to the exact same spot we are discussing.

Once more. A massive sunspot has formed on the sun in a place that if it is facing earth within a certain arc and erupts it will cause a global blackout. 

This is fact. I'm simply showing you the stuff even nasa and some media are talking about.

https://www.google.c...nspot july 2017

riff_ #35 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 25105 battles

vs.

----------------------------------------

Who needs the two below.

Spoiler
3V3YnrM.jpg

Pipinghot #36 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 25826 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Postriff_, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:03, said:

This song may apply to your post.  Or not.

It's never a bad idea to listen to Traffic, so even if it doesn't apply I'm still on board.

Klaatu_Nicto #37 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:23

Major

• Players
  • 43941 battles

July 28, 2017
FARSIDE EXPLOSIONS CONTINUE: Space-based observatories recorded another powerful explosion on the farside of the sun today. The blast hurled a bright coronal mass ejection (CME) over the sun's northeastern limb, shown here in a movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)

NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft, which has a partial view of the sun's farside, pinpointed the explosion: The source appears to be old sunspot AR2665. The huge active region crossed the Earthside of the sun in early July, sparking moderately strong geomagnetic storms when it faced our planet. Apparently, it is still active, producing at least three significant CMEs since it began its farside transit more than 10 days ago.

AR2665 will spin back around to face Earth in early August. If the sunspot continues to explode, it could bring a new round of geomagnetic storms and auroras to our planet. Stay tuned. Free: Solar Flare Alerts

http://spaceweather.com/

A Solar Storm Is Amping Up the Northern Lights
July 17, 2017

After a coronal mass ejection from the sun hit Earth's magnetic field on Sunday (July 16), space weather forecasters predict that geomagnetic storms may cause some intense auroras this evening (July 17)......The class G2 magnetic storm (a moderate storm) was triggered by solar particles ejected from a coronal mass ejection on Friday (July 14).
https://www.space.co...rn-lights.html 

Bsan77 #38 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:27

Captain

• Players
  • 12878 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View Post120mm_he, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:13, said:

Oh jesus christ. Who gives a flying [edited] what he believes. Here look through the nasa links to the exact same spot we are discussing.

Once more. A massive sunspot has formed on the sun in a place that if it is facing earth within a certain arc and erupts it will cause a global blackout. 

You do realize the odds of that happening are slim to none, right? The sun has sunspots. It always has. It puts out solar flares. It always has. And as far as caring what he believes, it's literally proof that the dude rejects modern science and has no business telling anyone what going on anywhere. But if you want to believe the dude that rejects global warming and believes in chemtrails, then by all means, go ahead.

The first article from the Google link you shared has the date: Feb. 28, 2014

The second one has the date of July 5, 2017

Also from the second article, "...noting that the sunspot cluster could create solar flares but that it is too early to predict further surface activity. If solar flares do erupt, they could affect Earth by causing and increase in polar auroras(pretty colors) and possibly some disruption to radio transmissions and other electrical functions."

I would like to clarify that I am not debating the existence of the spot, but rather the likelyhood of it erupting towards Earth with enough power to significantly affect our infrastructure. 

Pipinghot #39 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:27

Major

• Players
  • 25826 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View Post120mm_he, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:13, said:

Here look through the nasa links to the exact same spot we are discussing.

Bad news, chicken little, the sky is not falling.

https://www.usatoday...arth/474744001/

"NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory said it's “too early to predict” whether there will be solar flares,"

As far as the various links in this thread pointing to previous solar flares, and their affects on the communications and power grid - the fact that we're having this conversation via electronic devices that live exclusively on the communications and power grid really ought to help you understand that earth will pull through the crisis if it happens again. Yes, there could be outtages, and yes people should have their normal disaster plans in place, but the emphasis is on "normal", anyone who lives in where there are hurricanes, earthquakes, floods or other intermittent disasters - which means "nearly anywhere" should already have plans for what to do during an emergency.

View Post120mm_he, on Jul 28 2017 - 15:19, said:

Run for the hills the powers going down for possibly years?

What a bunch of garbage.

120mm_he #40 Posted Jul 28 2017 - 22:27

Major

• Players
  • 13603 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View Postriff_, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:20, said:

vs.

----------------------------------------

Who needs the two below.

Spoiler
3V3YnrM.jpg

The Kekistani Nation will Prevail!

View PostPipinghot, on Jul 28 2017 - 16:27, said:

Bad news, chicken little, the sky is not falling.

https://www.usatoday...arth/474744001/

"NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory said it's “too early to predict” whether there will be solar flares,"

As far as the various links in this thread pointing to previous solar flares, and their affects on the communications and power grid - the fact that we're having this conversation via electronic devices that live exclusively on the communications and power grid really ought to help you understand that earth will pull through the crisis if it happens again. Yes, there could be outtages, and yes people should have their normal disaster plans in place, but the emphasis is on "normal", anyone who lives in where there are hurricanes, earthquakes, floods or other intermittent disasters - which means "nearly anywhere" should already have plans for what to do during an emergency.

What a bunch of garbage.

I'm sorry little fish but please point to any post I have made in this thread that states that with 100% certainty that the spot will erupt? Oh none to be found well thanks for playing. Thread is simply to point out of all the spots we have had recently this one has the most chance of setting off a killshot. Nothing more nothing less. Even the nasa report you linked says 'they don't really know' which is govspeak for well it might happen but we are covering our [edited]so we will just say we have no idea. Either way in the end it's irrelevant. If it happens the last thing anyone here will be worried about is logging onto the wot forums for a good I told ya so. :trollface:

Also tagged with Is, About, To, Blink

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users