Where are the Tournaments?

61 replies to this topic

Bullets_inc #41 Posted Aug 01 2017 - 20:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23553 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY

you know you're an old gamer when this game reminds you of Medicare, dying slowly over time.

View Postdance210, on Jul 15 2016 - 21:09, said:

I said that the schedule change wasn't due to gold, and it wasn't. The schedule change was because my boss wanted to see what would happen if fewer tournaments were run. There was also supposed to be another part to it, that for whatever reason wasn't able to happen (and no, I'm not happy about that or that I can't get the final prize for the Summer Play tournament finalized...).

The gold was a global decree and all regions were hit. EU has a top prize for a one day tournament of 250 gold; RU has a group stage into playoffs with a 1st place prize of 1,500 gold. I'm trying really hard to keep them from looking at NA and thinking those prizes should come here.

The honest truth is I have never lied to you guys. Yes, there are times I can't tell you everything - my job doesn't allow me to tell you everything. I will tell you what I can, when I can. Sometimes, those things change and I can't always update you on those changes. I am trying to give you as many tournaments as I can and give out the most that I can.

To answer your first question, no they will not be returning. Why? Because someone has a new vision for how tournaments should work, and how the previous tournaments were run no longer fit the vision (or the new naming scheme that they want to go with) and honestly I would rather retire them than turn them into something else. If you mean will there be more one day and multi-day tournaments run during the month, hopefully at early and alter times, then the answer is yes.

I couldn't figure out a scaling prize structure for July because it needed to be designed over the 4th of July weekend. I'm hoping to have scaling prizes, where more teams equal more prizing (EU called them stretch goals). It's a matter of making sure I have all the kinks worked out, that it's understandable and that it gets approved.

This was last year during the "its not about the gold" when WG fist started killing tournaments on purpose " my boss wanted to see what would happen if fewer tournaments were run" and now here we are a year later with an esports calendar as empty as my college savings account but look up in the sky ... its a bird.. its a plane... "Don't worry, we are adding some new faces to the forums".... WG hates me.

dominator_98 #42 Posted Aug 02 2017 - 03:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11807 battles
  • [MUG-G] MUG-G

View PostBullets_inc, on Aug 01 2017 - 13:26, said:

you know you're an old gamer when this game reminds you of Medicare, dying slowly over time.

This was last year during the "its not about the gold" when WG fist started killing tournaments on purpose " my boss wanted to see what would happen if fewer tournaments were run" and now here we are a year later with an esports calendar as empty as my college savings account but look up in the sky ... its a bird.. its a plane... "Don't worry, we are adding some new faces to the forums".... WG hates me.

I read Dance's quote in this post and almost cried. Dance210, you have and always will be WG's greatest employee and you will be sorely missed. You always had the players' best interests in mind and were the only WG employee I saw do this. I think Circon said it best when he said "That moment when the game you love could be so good, but it's run by Russians."

I went on a payment strike, haven't spent any money since the SirFoch debacle on this game and liked the way 9.20 was looking so I was gonna buy something. That won't be happening anytime soon now.

Edited by dominator_98, Aug 02 2017 - 03:28.

HI_FIVE #43 Posted Aug 02 2017 - 07:02

Major

• Players
  • 41654 battles

View PostQuemapueblos, on Jul 31 2017 - 19:29, said:

Hi folks,

Tournaments are not over for World of Tanks in North America or any region. 

First, We have been experiencing problems with the Tournament management tool for some time and I'm sure those who have participated recently can attest to the frustration of battles not popping or teams roster issues. We are working on getting this fixed before moving forward with more tournaments.

Second, as we are in between tournaments and Dance is transitioning from World of Tanks PC to TWA this was an opportune time to redo our plans and fix some issues. Don't worry, we are adding some new faces to the forums so keep an eye out for CabbageMechanic and BunnyWithGlasses and a few others. 

Third, we felt the current style of tournaments were getting a little stale over time and we want to retooling competitions to feel them more exciting and robust.

We will keep you in the loop on any further news here on the forums and stay tuned to the portal and forums for any new tournaments in the future.

In other words. No worries guys/gals everything will be backup and running in a few months. By then it will be too late. Hell, as a long time player and supporter of this game i am soon to move on from this game. You will be missed dance. Feel free to drop by our TS and hangout if you would like.

Redwave11 #44 Posted Aug 02 2017 - 07:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16082 battles
  • [FD_UP] FD_UP

View Postseanphelan, on Aug 01 2017 - 11:24, said:

To Enjineer: Not all of us 'reds & oranges' can afford a top of the line computer, graphics card and internet connection.

That's not an excuse unless you are getting <30fps

I play on a laptop with 50fps, 200ping to US West and 250ping to US East. Last time i checked I wasn't red or even orange.

This game is not a twitch shooter which requires high specs, generally speaking i think my latency costs me on average about 20dpg due to losing a corner poke, or subsequent slow reactions. Any donkey can memorise the weak spots of tanks and spam the LMB, if you want to improve you need to learn situational awareness and map strategy. 

Huck_ #45 Posted Aug 02 2017 - 17:32

Major

• Players
  • 33875 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

Counterpoint:

Long before 2.0 and WGLNA became mainstream, the free gold from tournaments crushed clan wars participation. Before that, if you wanted gold... if you wanted high level competitive play... if you wanted a purpose for it all... you played clan wars. This was before players did a nightly ROI calculation to determine how they should spend their time to maximize pixel profits from a god damn video game.

The happy byproduct was that clan wars fostered many vibrant gaming communities. Players had a reason to get on every night besides blowing up tanks. You would hang out. Socialize. Play other games. You would also train. Organize. Platoon. Play tank companies with your e-friends. Maybe win a couple of clan wars battles. And you would EARN some gold in the process. The server population soared. Wargaming made money as thousands of players converted free XP every month for the latest OP tank. GG, was close.  

tl;dr if you're bringing back CW on August 10th, the best way to ensure that no one actually participates in clan wars is to offer 1,000 gold just for logging in for an hour to do a supposed "tournament"

Tankdemonium #46 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 14:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38701 battles
  • [_4K_] _4K_

Clan Wars as Wargaming has them at this point their so called 2.0 version are pointless.No point in holding land when you can burn it and get more gold that way, drop your land pick another territory rinse and repeat. At least it makes small Clans Happy because they hold 20+ Territorys which 85% of clans win and drop as fast as they can. Diplomacy did you say? Nope doesn't exist anymore.

For way more effort you have to spent more time and credits to get less gold that you could get solo or with your friends in 1 hour, 2 out of 3 tourneys or 3 hours spread out in 3 days.

So if Wargaming wants to removed something removed clan wars 2.0 since there is no point, give gold for playing Strongholds at Tiers Xs and VIIIs and keep tier VI stronghold as training school for clans and add more small tournaments

So please bring back Tournaments asap War Gaming NA.

Also I am very sad of learning that dance210 has moved off of World of Tanks. Good luck on your next job!

Edit: Saw Quemapueblos post (22) after writing this. I am happy they are taking some time to fix the tournament software they use, since this tool wasn't showing technical wins in clan wars games or during tournaments and sometimes also it didn't pop your next battle game which you could lose because the system thought you didn't join up when in fact you were waiting for the special battle screen to pop.

Edited by Tankdemonium, Aug 03 2017 - 14:15.

ThePigSheFlies #47 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 17:05

Major

• Players
  • 59075 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostQuemapueblos, on Jul 31 2017 - 19:29, said:

Third, we felt the current style of tournaments were getting a little stale over time and we want to retooling competitions to feel them more exciting and robust.

Why can't you come to the realization that your tired old, brawling, tiny, funnel crap maps are stale?  Making them prettier by going "HD" sure as heck isn't going to improve the entertainment value or game play on them...

Tourneys, gold, etc. are all meaningless if the vast majority of the maps are stale, stagnant, predictable, and boring as all get out...

RECON_RANGER #48 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 00:14

Captain

• Players
  • 29934 battles

View Postenjineer, on Aug 01 2017 - 01:59, said:

Simple solution - stop being a red or orange player and improve your play.

The RED and ORANGE players make this game.  Without them, you shut down the servers.

RECON_RANGER #49 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 00:30

Captain

• Players
  • 29934 battles

View PostA_FIELD_MARSHAL, on Aug 01 2017 - 05:21, said:

Can you please bring back the old format for the weekly Skirmishes and the Daily Stand-tos? 

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WG will never do anything that the players will like.  WG wont nerf arty, wont bring back old maps, wont nerf gold rounds and has broken MM beyond anything even remotely possible and introduced RANKED BATTLES which are a huge success in WOWS, but thats a completely different game and most players use ranked battles in WOWS to grind lines since they are rarely at tier 10 because most players don't have tier 10 ships.  I don't see WG doing ranked battles in WOT's below tier 10 so it will never be successful because you bleed credits playing it. 

Edited by RECON_RANGER, Aug 04 2017 - 00:32.

RECON_RANGER #50 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 00:34

Captain

• Players
  • 29934 battles

View Postdominator_98, on Aug 01 2017 - 00:27, said:

Is it time to revive faceit? If WG won't give us tournaments we will just have to use the other source.

FACEIT died when they converted it from free to subscription. 

RECON_RANGER #51 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 01:00

Captain

• Players
  • 29934 battles

View PostHuck_, on Aug 02 2017 - 17:32, said:

Counterpoint:

Long before 2.0 and WGLNA became mainstream, the free gold from tournaments crushed clan wars participation. Before that, if you wanted gold... if you wanted high level competitive play... if you wanted a purpose for it all... you played clan wars. This was before players did a nightly ROI calculation to determine how they should spend their time to maximize pixel profits from a god damn video game.

The happy byproduct was that clan wars fostered many vibrant gaming communities. Players had a reason to get on every night besides blowing up tanks. You would hang out. Socialize. Play other games. You would also train. Organize. Platoon. Play tank companies with your e-friends. Maybe win a couple of clan wars battles. And you would EARN some gold in the process. The server population soared. Wargaming made money as thousands of players converted free XP every month for the latest OP tank. GG, was close.  

tl;dr if you're bringing back CW on August 10th, the best way to ensure that no one actually participates in clan wars is to offer 1,000 gold just for logging in for an hour to do a supposed "tournament"

WG has already admitted top clans dominating CWs ruined the game which is why WG nerfed CWs into the ground and will NEVER revive it.

NoEvidenceNoProblem #52 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 02:51

Major

• Players
  • 47361 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Aug 03 2017 - 16:00, said:

WG has already admitted top clans dominating CWs ruined the game which is why WG nerfed CWs into the ground and will NEVER revive it.

The problem wasn't top clans dominating, it was top clans sitting on gold never fighting. WG introduced a lot of mechanics that discouraged fighting, which made clans just sit on their land farming gold instead of actually battling.

Blue___Phoenix #53 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 12:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11742 battles
  • [PHX2] PHX2

Here is what is going on:  http://forum.worldof...ithglasses-etc/

In a nutshell, dance210 is changing departments and they have no replacement.

Blue___Phoenix #54 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 12:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11742 battles
  • [PHX2] PHX2

View Postdance210, on Jul 31 2017 - 15:16, said:

Well, as I quoted mpank and not markgs, it wasn't intended to answer the OP's question; that was already answered by the quote of the person who I quoted. That was to address his statement in regards to tournaments still happening on other servers.

@dance210: Even if you moved to a different department, I am still pushing for a legal harassment. Keep that in mind

Edited by Blue___Phoenix, Aug 04 2017 - 12:58.

MacDaddyMatty #55 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 12:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 15648 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostBlue___Phoenix, on Aug 04 2017 - 06:51, said:

@dance210: Even if you move to a different department, I am still pushing for legal harassment. Keep that in mind

?

...I missed something...

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, Aug 04 2017 - 12:57.

markgs #56 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 16:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 62395 battles
  • [11BAT] 11BAT

Ok I got my answer sort of of where the tournaments went and why. 

But all this other stuff does not make a lot of sence, like red and orange players should get better, OK your right about that, but how canthey get better if the odds are stacked agaist you to win a tournament, when the system puts you up agaist teams that are blue or yellow every single match, if the red or orange player was facing thier equal, then the better team would move up the dvale of colors. etc.

My big problemis not that I gete better it the amount of games I play. I am a handicapped vet from Viet Nam, I have no left hand and can not play as well as mostof you that have the high amount of games I have, I also didn't care about having stats when I first played. 3 years of playing strictly Arty has it's tolls on the ranking in this game , I like some tanks like the Tog  5,000 battles plus, and the T-14  about the same I play these becus=ase they made money in the game  I like arty as it was when youhit you kill or get decent points for the hit. you all realize there has never been a war with out some sortof Arty , The Bow and Arrow was arty., mute point , but the thing is if this game?? is going to be a war type game things should work like they did in real wars. 

Opps got away from what I was trying to convey, OK, tournaments will come back, Great, hope sooner  than latter, will they be fair to play ?? we will see. it's very discouraging to lower teams to have to face high clans all the time, the red and orange player that has to face yellow green and blue never mind the ocasional purple player. Has a hard time getting teams together to compete, if you have played in tournaments you notice there are hardly any lower class players , these seem to be for those that aret ired of Clan Wars and have nothing else to do,  you hardly see 3,000 or less Personal rating players in tournaments, some times in the 1 vs 1 you will but not often in the 3 vs 3 or 5 vs 5 games, also you see a lot of TOP clans in these for the gold of course they have nothing to prove that they are better than most players 

If the lower players can face equal or slightly better players then move up the ranks as in any good tourny, then maybe more lower class clans would play in tournaments. Pleasemake them fair to play , not a 2000 PR player go against a 8,000 pr player every single battle , 9 battles usually in tournaments and 7 out of the 9 are usually better players than your team.

that's it , Thank you for lettingus know why and if the tournaments will come back 

Huck_ #57 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 18:36

Major

• Players
  • 33875 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Aug 03 2017 - 19:00, said:

Top clans dominating drove the entire business model. The top players wanted OP tanks. The average players wanted to get into better clans. The sh1t players ate paint chips. Everyone paid and played.

Now, there is no purpose to anything, so no one plays or pays. If you don't do wglna there is literally no point without competitive clan wars. I've never heard someone say "Huck, I came back to the game after 6 months away because I really missed solo pubbing and 3v3 platournaments."

But I'd love to hear the argument for how wargaming giving average players free gold basically for being able to register for a tournament delivers a positive ROI to the company (hint: there is none). They make money when hundreds of top players spend gold to free XP the 5a for clan cup, and when thousands of pubs see good players playing the latest tank, and spend for the same. 

TheLoveHitman #58 Posted Aug 04 2017 - 21:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12088 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Aug 04 2017 - 04:55, said:

?

...I missed something...

From a different thread, he's just delusional, ignore him :)

War_Daddy33 #59 Posted Aug 07 2017 - 18:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 55736 battles
  • [W_P] W_P

First, i don't mind playing against better competition. It does suck when you have a bracket full of them though.

Second, they could do an average of a teams personal rating, including reserves, to put into a group. Then, you divide those groups based on that end rating. You give different rewards based on the group you are in. If, you're a top tier player, then you get top tier rewards. If, you're in a low group, you get low level rewards. Incentive to stop sandbagging and for others to get better to improve their rewards. You pay lower place finishers fairly for being in the top; a premium day or whatever even for last place.

If tournaments don't return soon, I may be done with this game. It's really the only reason I play.

jojofelix #60 Posted Aug 07 2017 - 22:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30442 battles
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3
wow, was wondering why the calendar hasn't been updated. is wg so lazy they simply haven't bothere to put someone in this position? too lazy to even make an announcement that tournies are dead? no notice, no announcement, just poof.... gone. sad wg, really sad. pubs are a trolls dream, cw is elitist at best, and strongholds requires daily attendance. tournies were the one way to actually have a real team, face another real team, and have a reward worth trying for. that the y are gone, is bs, but not to even addres it to the public? I guess we don't matter....

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users