Swedish Strv S1 is a good tank

swedish strv s1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Pepino1976 #1 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 06:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 29435 battles

Finally completed the TD-15: Triumph with honors. I was so disappointed yesterday when I finished a game with 3,996 damage, 4 short of the mission. Grrr. But today I had the enemy help me get the damage I needed by continuing to keep moving into my line of sight. I mean, really. If you watch the replay, you would think they would figure out that trying to drive around the corner I was covering was a bad idea. But no. They just kept doing it. Their loss, my win. :-)

Besides this game, the S1 is a good credit maker even though it is a Tier VIII in the new MM. Tier VIII has been tough since 9.18. Anyway, the tank is enjoyable to play. Camo is great too. I recommend it if you like sniping. Just know that some games will be feast or famine. You can get tracked and destroyed by others before you can do a thing some games. Also arty seems to want to hit me more when I am in the S1. It's a prime target.

http://wotreplays.co...ino1976-strv_s1

johnmadara #2 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 10:28

Major

• Players
  • 31504 battles
its by far the best premium tank you can buy for gold for the current heavy pay 2 win meta

Edited by johnmadara, Aug 03 2017 - 10:29.

HisNameWasSethRich #3 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 12:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14160 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
I like the S1 but it's so inconsistent, You either do 4k or 0. Why I don't have mine outfitted anymore.

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #4 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 12:12

Major

• Players
  • 48678 battles

View PostPepino1976, on Aug 03 2017 - 00:35, said:

Today I had the enemy help me get the damage I needed by continuing to keep moving into my line of sight.

This is my personal sense of frustration with that entire line.  In my case, it is very map dependent and even more so, enemy team dependent.  It is entirely inflexible.  I can't say how many times I've been taken from full hp to destroyed because of that crazy frozen and can't move siege mode transition period.

ShaolinWombat #5 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 12:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10081 battles
It's a great tank in the right situation.  If you can use camo and distance the penn and accuracy will shine.  It also prints credits.  But on city heavy maps it's weaknesses really show.   Most tier 9+ tanks will overmatch you, a snail can flank you, and the setup time to enter siege.  

johnmadara #6 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 13:13

Major

• Players
  • 31504 battles

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on Aug 03 2017 - 11:12, said:

This is my personal sense of frustration with that entire line.  In my case, it is very map dependent and even more so, enemy team dependent.  It is entirely inflexible.  I can't say how many times I've been taken from full hp to destroyed because of that crazy frozen and can't move siege mode transition period.

if you can predict whats going to happen 5 seconds in the future then you should be good, you have to be really aware of everything thats happening to get good results

Blackstone #7 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 13:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14133 battles
  • [-IGC-] -IGC-

Yeah, great tank...

Goddamn stealth vehicle made with reverse engineered tech from UFOs, that's what it is. :angry:

Hope I can blow it away with 120mm of FREEDOM from my T 28 Prototype.:izmena:

(sarcasm: it's all in good fun)

Komitadjie #8 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 14:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles

View PostShaolinWombat, on Aug 03 2017 - 12:14, said:

It's a great tank in the right situation. If you can use camo and distance the penn and accuracy will shine. It also prints credits. But on city heavy maps it's weaknesses really show. Most tier 9+ tanks will overmatch you, a snail can flank you, and the setup time to enter siege.

That's my real gripe with it. I was stupid and didn't read anything before I bought it, I've always loved the s-tank concept, so I thought hey, it'd be awesome! Well neigh invincible frontal armor, great accuracy at range and a great gun. Since I tend to play a sniper in darn near everything anyway I didn't mind a moment of setup for the shot, what's not to love, right?  Perfect tank to start with, I'll sit way behind my lines and pick at long range targets!

Then I actually start playing it... And find out that 75% of the enemies I meet will sail shells right through the frontal armor, that there's about two maps in the game that you can USE the great range on, and that about 80% of this game seems to be played in tiny little city maps that firing anywhere on the map breaks your stealth and you don't have a chance to set up.  ALMOST turned me off of tanks entirely, I was just so amazingly disappointed.

I think it will be an awesome tank if they ever put a relatively realistic playing field in. Seriously, how many open area have you ever been in that have the entire area sloped gradually upward toward the center, covered in just-barely-tank-tall rolling hills? XD 

I suspect with the removal of the mountain goat spots (ironic that you literally have to break the map to shoot from beyond brawling range at all) the high profitability of the S1 in the stats will start to drop fast.

On JUST the right setup, with a useful team on your side that doesn't fold up like a wet paper sack as soon as they see the enemy, and on a map with some open shots and an enemy team that will come into the open, you can absolutely kick face. But how often does that happen? Nope, have some tier 9 and 10 city maps, so even the mediums can pop you square in the front with ease. Lol

Edited by Komitadjie, Aug 03 2017 - 14:13.

Shades998 #9 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 14:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32893 battles
  • [CDN] CDN
I got to the UDES 03, and after playing it a little bit I gave up on this line of tanks. Not my playstyle, these tanks are high situational one trick ponies. They don't even work like they do in RL as defense tanks. They goofed this line, why would I buy a premium that have such a limited range of usability. I kept my money in my pocket this time. 

Komitadjie #10 Posted Aug 03 2017 - 14:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles

View PostShades998, on Aug 03 2017 - 14:14, said:

I got to the UDES 03, and after playing it a little bit I gave up on this line of tanks. Not my playstyle, these tanks are high situational one trick ponies. They don't even work like they do in RL as defense tanks. They goofed this line, why would I buy a premium that have such a limited range of usability. I kept my money in my pocket this time. 

If you could back out of the game before it starts but after the map has been shown, it would be a lot less terrible to play, I think.  But it's that one-trick-pony thing that just kills it for me, and how super seldom that one trick seems to be relevant in the current meta. 

If the heavy tank brawls every took place in a spot that had any non-mountain-goat firing lines to it, you could do great things for your team!  But there's just ZERO open lines of fire on most of the maps it seems!

Also tagged with swedish, strv s1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users