Why is this so hard?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Icarusael #1 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:21

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
There must be tons of similar post with people complaining about how the game is hard, but seriously... what the hell? xD I almost maxed (elite) all the Rank II tanks and I still don't know which one is good, which one I like, which one I want to play with, which country should I go for, etc. 

​The problem often come from hitting a target. We play in a platoon of 5 friend and none of us understand how is this working. I mean, I can be side to side with an enemy tank and spam my attack and the tank takes no damage, even if the aiming circle is red. I keep getting medals for hitting the target, critical strike, etc. but no damage is ever done. Some people play with the same Light Tank as I do and go around no trouble destroying Heaving Tank and 2 Medium Tank on their own, on their way to our base. This is getting very frustrating.

​Another problem is getting spotted. Sometimes I am not even spotted and man they keep shooting at me like if I was, I try to run away, hide but they keep shooting even if I wasn't spotted for at least 30 second running away, they kept shooting me and destroyed me. I think the spotting system is a total failure in this game. For normal tanks, there should have been no ''invisible'' tank and no automatic spotting. You see something, you press the key to spot them and voilà. Would have been way more legit. The tanks could only be invisible to mortar's eagle eye vision, until someone spot a tank for real. People can just travel around looking at the grass and they spot everyone. It is very annoying and doesn't make the game fun that way.

​So aside of that, how the hell can you become good at the game? It is either too hard (Whole team get wiped very fast) or either too easy (We wipe the whole enemy team in a few minutes). It is rarely equal and those are the best game, until you end up 1 vs 1 and can't do any damage.

​I registered game clip on Xbox One as proof of how I can't get any closer of a tank because I am actually touching it, and shooting in its [edited], doing no damage.

​I like the game, but I don't understand some of the feature... they don't make any sense and reduce the fun we could get, especially as a beginner. Another example of a bad decision which make this game unbalanced: Why not just making Rank 1 Tank play with Rank 1 Tank, Rank 2 Tank only with Rank 2 Tank, Rank 3 Tank only with Rank 3? etc. What is the point of mixing them together? It just give the advantage to the highest Rank... what is supposed to be fun in that? How is this fair?

Thank you.

dnaman #2 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24608 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
If this post is about X-box, you should go to their forums because you'll get answers specific to the platform.  This is the PC forum.  That said, there are many YouTube videos from players much better than me that you can watch and learn a ton.  Just do a search for world of tanks. 

Panzerkind #3 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:29

Captain

• Players
  • 30156 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
This is a hard game. It is not for anyone. It requires you to be a student and have enough patience to learn.

In order to be good a this game, you need to acquire a vast mental library of knowledge when it comes to the complex mechanics and, especially, the design, features, and layout of every single vehicle in the game. 

If you want to be good at this game, you better know everything there is to know about those 15 tanks on the enemy team especially at higher tiers. 

That's really it. It's all about accumulating the knowledge, and there's no shortcut to this.

The_Goblin_King #4 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48049 battles
  • [NZ] NZ

This game is more complex than it initially looks. If it wasn't hard it would be boring after about 2 hours.

You need to read up on armor thickness, weakpoints, penetration, and spotting mechanics.

Mamas_Calvin #5 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40356 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
There is a flow to most matches on a given map. That flow takes a while to understand to the point that you can predict it. Some never gain that level of understanding. The game is much like a field sport in that regard. There are many other skills layered on top of that to attain true mastery, but that game flow is the foundation. In low tier matches, that flow subtely differs from higher tiers due to view range and weaponry differences. The best bet is to be a bit more cautious, and concentrate on survival and mini map awareness. Those two things lead to eventual success.

Panzerkind #6 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:35

Captain

• Players
  • 30156 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostThe_Goblin_King, on Aug 08 2017 - 17:30, said:

This game is more complex than it initially looks. If it wasn't hard it would be boring after about 2 hours.

You need to read up on armor thickness, weakpoints, penetration, and spotting mechanics.

Just like I said. 

Take any player who sustains a 2500+ recent WN8. 

Ask them about any tank in the game and they can tell you pretty much everything about it from memory.

Doomslinger #7 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:35

Major

• Players
  • 58770 battles
You will be bottom and mid tier in most of your battles because of the 3/5/7 format for making teams. You will get a few top tier battles but not very often. The good news is that most of the targets you get to shoot at are close to the same tier as your tanks and you will never see more than 3 tanks that are two tiers higher in any given battle. You get more xp for shooting at higher tier tanks so the trick is to learn how to do this and survive. Click the game guides link in my signature and there are lots of resources there to learn the basics and eventually more advanced tactics. This game is easy to learn but difficult to master. Kind of like chess where you can learn how the pieces move around on the board in a hour but it takes months or even years to master all the aspects of the game.

Bill_the_tax_collector #8 Posted Aug 08 2017 - 23:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 33203 battles

View PostPanzerkind, on Aug 08 2017 - 22:35, said:

Just like I said. 

Ask them about any tank in the game and they can tell you pretty much everything about it from memory.

exactly you have to know every tank stats and how each map is played. so yeah it's a lot a stuff to remember.

strenfoo #9 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 00:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11390 battles
  • [C_NTS] C_NTS

Start by reading this: http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics .  Keep reading it over and over until you understand everything, especially the parts about vision and camo.  There are lots of videos on youtube, including official ones from Wargaming, explaining this stuff.

Then, work on learning how to position yourself so you can deal damage while taking little in return.  This is by far the most important skill to know and can take a very long time to master.

Finally, forget about trying to get better at tiers 1 - 3.  Those are garbage tiers and it can be tough to learn anything there aside from how terrible players play the game and how good players farm them.  Get up to tier 5 and hang out there while you improve.

Edited by strenfoo, Aug 09 2017 - 00:11.

johnmadara #10 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 00:40

Major

• Players
  • 30883 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

if you want to be good and are smarter than an ape then you can/will get good... improving isnt rocket science, all you need to do is think when you play and remotely try to figure out what happened, why it happened and how it happened in any situation

edit: learning game mechanics generally helps you do this

Edited by johnmadara, Aug 09 2017 - 00:43.

mrmojo #11 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 00:46

Captain

• Players
  • 17630 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
Play russian tanks - this is very first step to winning more.

rich73 #12 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 01:25

Major

• Players
  • 42367 battles
Your complaining about a game you know nothing about???Wait till you learn something,then you can complain.

the_Deadly_Bulb #13 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 01:38

Captain

• Players
  • 17364 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postrich73, on Aug 08 2017 - 16:25, said:

Your complaining about a game you know nothing about???Wait till you learn something,then you can complain.

Its what one comes to expect in the Newcomer's Forum.

8bit_Gamer #14 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 01:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13787 battles

View PostPanzerkind, on Aug 08 2017 - 22:35, said:

Just like I said. 

I don't find this to be true. Have you ever heard LemmingRush try and remember tank Stats?

It helps but not a requirement. Position is everything.

johnmadara #15 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 02:36

Major

• Players
  • 30883 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Post8bit_Gamer, on Aug 09 2017 - 00:48, said:

I don't find this to be true. Have you ever heard LemmingRush try and remember tank Stats?

View Post8bit_Gamer, on Aug 09 2017 - 00:48, said:

"not required" not remembering the reload of a tank sitting in front of you is a quick way to get [edited] up

8bit_Gamer #16 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 03:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13787 battles

View Postjohnmadara, on Aug 09 2017 - 01:36, said:

"not required" not remembering the reload of a tank sitting in front of you is a quick way to get [edited] up

It is helpful, but positioning and map awareness is the most important factor in your performance. Especially when you are still learning the game.

Knowing the alpha damage, reload speeds and armor profiles comes with games played. 

I suppose you could go to tanks.gg and study like it's a high school exam. But that's no fun.

kayfoo #17 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 05:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18421 battles
  • [TANAR] TANAR

To the OP: why do u say they keep shooting at me even while im not spotted? How do you know you are not spotted?

Just an example to reinforce the point others are making study game.mechanics

GL

VendettaPrime #18 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 10:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 891 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

I'm sorry but all I see is that you are having trouble with the game not being n00b friendly and not easy mode, welcome to wot, a competitive game.

first thing you got to do is change your attitude, second thing to do is grow some balls and take a breath and dive in to it, see tutorials, look on the forum and learn a bit about the game, experiment and so on, it's the only way to get better unless you are one of the 00,01% naturals.

if that's to hard for you then wot is not for you.

Icarusael #19 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 15:48

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postjohnmadara, on Aug 09 2017 - 00:40, said:

if you want to be good and are smarter than an ape then you can/will get good... improving isnt rocket science, all you need to do is think when you play and remotely try to figure out what happened, why it happened and how it happened in any situation

edit: learning game mechanics generally helps you do this

Well we are 5 ape there, wondering why is the tutorial so useless, as if it would do any good to anyone to learn to press a button to shoot with your tank... Usually, we don't understand what happened, why it happened but we know how it happened. x) I mean, sometimes we just stick all together and advance slowly, or wait in an ambush, and there you do, a light enemy tank rush through the five of us and kill us one by one and we are all complaining about why the hell aren't we making any damage? Or we just hide to get spotted forever by people shooting us from far far far away on each damn side of the map. There seems to be no safe spot except when playing in city map. It is hard to learn when you can't survive more than 2 minute in a game, even if you tried your best at hiding. This game would have needed a ranking level and match you against beginner around your ranking level...

View Postkayfoo, on Aug 09 2017 - 05:24, said:

To the OP: why do u say they keep shooting at me even while im not spotted? How do you know you are not spotted?

Just an example to reinforce the point others are making study game.mechanics

GL

Because when you get spotted, there is an alert sound and it is written right beside your tank information? As soon as you aren't spotted anymore you become invisible to them, same thing goes for them, if I aim at them and they suddenly backtrack far enough, they just become invisible. You can try to shoot anyways but the chance that you hit your target more then once are extremely low.

View PostVendettaPrime, on Aug 09 2017 - 10:43, said:

I'm sorry but all I see is that you are having trouble with the game not being n00b friendly and not easy mode, welcome to wot, a competitive game.

first thing you got to do is change your attitude, second thing to do is grow some balls and take a breath and dive in to it, see tutorials, look on the forum and learn a bit about the game, experiment and so on, it's the only way to get better unless you are one of the 00,01% naturals.

if that's to hard for you then wot is not for you.

Just a reminder, we are 5 players playing together (sometimes we play with other friends, but most of the time we are the same 5 together) and we are all having trouble. I don't mind losing in a game, as long as I am having fun, and right now, most of our game end up in a total disaster which nulify all the fun we could get from the game. We had some fun game even when we lost, but they are so rare... We ended up thinking this game is all build up for discouraging new player so that try hard player spend their real money on unlocking stuff faster, with more ease, to get better tanks/equipment/ammo/repair pack so they actually have fun kicking everyone's [edited]. We tried to bring another of our friend into the game, after 4 game of being wiped out without understanding what was going on, he just deleted the game... I believe many player did the same thing. I started playing during the Xbox 360 beta (and god this was way more fun back in the days, it was like Battle Tank) and once the real game came out, I started playing and stopped because it was a major turn off. I then restarted playing once the Xbox One version released, and stopped playing again for the same reason (I thought the game would have evolved). Now I restarted playing because I found a bunch of friend to play with me which make it a little more fun.

​I just think this game lack of a noob friendly mode. They just throw you in as meat for good players and/or cash players. It really is discouraging for new comer.

​Thank you for all your answers so far! I'll check those guide and YouTube videos.

VendettaPrime #20 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 16:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 891 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO
Wait... You are indeed talking about the Xbox game......lol this is the big boy wot, you are on the PC forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users