Jump to content


The Sturmtiger !


  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Mainerd #61 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 07:25

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 16098 battles
  • 267
  • [DRB] DRB
  • Member since:
    09-04-2014

View Postket101, on Aug 09 2017 - 21:28, said:

 

Wood burning conversions were actually pretty common in wartime Germany, though I think it was the gas that was used rather than the actual wood being burnt.  I remember seeing pictures of these big water heater style tanks mounted on the back of cars and trucks, anyway.  Sometimes a balloon sort of thing, too.  Getting old, memory's going.

 

Well look at train locomotives at the time used wood,coal, and oil. I think we all know what happens when the boiler gets punctured. Not a good design for a combat vehicle. I think it only works in the SteamPunk universe. :)

ket101 #62 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 10:54

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 18432 battles
  • 8,708
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
  • Member since:
    01-10-2011

It's not steam.  Have a look at this page: http://www.lowtechma...d-gas-cars.html

 

Edit: found some pictures of German tanks using wood gas: http://www.tanks-enc...wanne-tanks.php

 

 

 


Edited by ket101, Aug 10 2017 - 11:07.


Burning_Haggis #63 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 16:48

    Captain

  • Players
  • 40193 battles
  • 1,282
  • [G-M-U] G-M-U
  • Member since:
    04-09-2013

View PostMainerd, on Aug 10 2017 - 00:25, said:

 

Well look at train locomotives at the time used wood,coal, and oil. I think we all know what happens when the boiler gets punctured. Not a good design for a combat vehicle. I think it only works in the SteamPunk universe. :)

 

Wood gasification is not the same as steam power. 

BillT #64 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 17:00

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 23922 battles
  • 1,679
  • [FADES] FADES
  • Member since:
    08-13-2010

View Postket101, on Aug 09 2017 - 22:28, said:

 

Wood burning conversions were actually pretty common in wartime Germany, though I think it was the gas that was used rather than the actual wood being burnt. 

 

Correct.  The wood or charcoal was heated until it liberated a flammable gas mixture ("wood gas", or "producer gas" in the USA).  The gas was then used to run the internal combustion engine.  German used them to alleviate fuel shortages; for tanks, it was only used for training vehicles, not in combat.  They're still used today in rural areas of Russia and China, and in (no surprise) North Korea.

 

For more details:

https://en.wikipedia...d_gas_generator

 



PrimarchRogalDorn #65 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 18:04

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 722
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View Post_Schneller_Heinz_, on Aug 09 2017 - 09:19, said:

 

Rumors about the Sturmtiger in WoT are up since 9.1

I was in super test and this is as far as it went.

 

http://ftr-wot.blogspot.cz/2013/02/another-fake-sturmtiger.html

 

AFAIK the only time a Sturmtiger was playable in-game was as part of the dev's private test server.



BrassFire #66 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 04:41

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 2741 battles
  • 1,476
  • [1_DIV] 1_DIV
  • Member since:
    10-28-2016

View PostPrimarchRogalDorn, on Aug 10 2017 - 18:04, said:

 

http://ftr-wot.blogspot.cz/2013/02/another-fake-sturmtiger.html

 

AFAIK the only time a Sturmtiger was playable in-game was as part of the dev's private test server.

 

Why aren't you building a treehouse Rogal?!

PrimarchRogalDorn #67 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 04:59

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 722
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View PostBrassFire, on Aug 12 2017 - 22:41, said:

 

Why aren't you building a treehouse Rogal?!

 

The necessary materials are still being acquired, as are the laborers. Plus Big E has me stay in the throne room more often than not. Something about not leaving his sight or like that.

Armodeus #68 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 10:57

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17097 battles
  • 163
  • Member since:
    07-16-2012

RNGesus with his magical powers would still find a way to make the round bounce sometimes.

 

"We just dinged them!"



bjorn1984 #69 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 19:22

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 20923 battles
  • 135
  • [-NXL-] -NXL-
  • Member since:
    09-01-2015
I'd like to see the Sturmtiger in the game. It'd be like a tier 9 or 10 FV304 with bigger blast and more alpha.

BrassFire #70 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 21:43

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 2741 battles
  • 1,476
  • [1_DIV] 1_DIV
  • Member since:
    10-28-2016

View Postbjorn1984, on Aug 13 2017 - 19:22, said:

I'd like to see the Sturmtiger in the game. It'd be like a tier 9 or 10 FV304 with bigger blast and more alpha.

 

Except it'd be like nuking people from orbit. As awesome as I think the Sturmtiger would be, it's impossible to balance.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users