XVM stats players purple red positions

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Manimal__ #21 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 17:42

Major

• Players
  • 38705 battles

View PostLonewolfpj, on Aug 09 2017 - 07:22, said:

so are you saying XVM makes players better?

Can't be true. I've had xvm for years and I'm not getting any better.

OldFrog75 #22 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 17:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 10523 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on Aug 09 2017 - 17:13, said:

I love his vids, but he always has to repeat over and over and over that hes a unicum and one of the best players on NA. OK... he is. But there is this thing called modesty and not needing to throw well known facts into peoples faces repeatedly. 

I enjoyed the video (I usually do since he plays instead of only commenting on others' replays) but I was a little surprised by how many negative comments he got.  Mostly citing what you have here.

Given he is only 18 years old, I'm inclined to cut him some slack in that regard.

Schoppen_Aas #23 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41059 battles

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Aug 09 2017 - 12:15, said:

2 words .. crew return

another 2...garage stats

lordawesome7 #24 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 17:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23804 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

View PostVendettaPrime, on Aug 09 2017 - 11:07, said:

[edited]yeah!... But I'm to lazy to search and download those mods....now what?

they are on aslian, it comes with a bunch of other options at your disposal, but you can also just go for the basics too

Edited by lordawesome7, Aug 09 2017 - 19:44.

Darkbee2Bee #25 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 18:12

Major

• Players
  • 32978 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View PostWinterpeger, on Aug 09 2017 - 11:24, said:

There is no in between... you either use mods or you don't.   Even if you use a mod for auto return... you're still using a mod.  There is no way you can claim you are running the vanilla client if you run a single mod whether for the garage or in game.

I do not use mods, although I will confess I'm curious to know what advantages the crew transfer mod has over the in-game feature (which I find to be sufficient).  It's been so long since I've used mods that I don't know what I don't know.

Ken_McGuire #26 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 18:23

Captain

• Players
  • 28760 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

Vanilla has improved greatly. If only it had a garage filter to show NON-elite tanks that I should grind. This with convenient crew auto-return is what keeps me running mods.

And I will add that when I was deep red, XVM telling me who were some of the better players on the team was where I started to learn where some of the better positions are. Yes, even Purples can go to the wrong place, and Reds can luck into the right one. But seeing where better players went was an important step in the learning process for me. And yes, some of this could probably be better learned from some other sources.

Edited by Ken_McGuire, Aug 09 2017 - 18:27.

BurglarOfBanff_ff #27 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 18:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25612 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

I suspect that XVM is a negative for good players.  They don't really gain much from it and they can be the victim of XVM sniping.

On the other hand, for more average players like me, I thinks it's a huge advantage.  I've learned a lot by seeing where good players on my team go.  I'm not good enough to carry most games, I need to know who I can count on when playing.

Guido1212 #28 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 18:45

Major

• Players
  • 76957 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
As always, any issue a person has with an informational mod is their problem, not the mod.  The idea that the mod creates toxicity is a juvenile one.  It's not the mod baby, it's you.

That being said I stopped using them a few patches ago.  Most things I had mods for are now included and I'm sick of chasing them down every patch.  For me personally they stopping adding value to my experience so I stopped using them.  But I'm not going to go so far as to claim they "cause" toxicity.  That's just silly.  Toxic humans do that without any help.

SpitYoYoMafia #29 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 19:11

Major

• Players
  • 18942 battles

View PostGuido1212, on Aug 09 2017 - 09:45, said:

As always, any issue a person has with an informational mod is their problem, not the mod. The idea that the mod creates toxicity is a juvenile one. It's not the mod baby, it's you.

That being said I stopped using them a few patches ago. Most things I had mods for are now included and I'm sick of chasing them down every patch. For me personally they stopping adding value to my experience so I stopped using them. But I'm not going to go so far as to claim they "cause" toxicity. That's just silly. Toxic humans do that without any help.

which is the problem as you're giving them the tool to be toxic in the first place

BillT #30 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 19:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26799 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

Too long; didn't watch summary:  Lemming doesn't like XVM because it makes him toxic and self-conscious. If you're like that, you won't like XVM, either.  But if you can use data without letting it control you, you may like it.  Also, you shouldn't use XVM to help purple players do dumb things.

But he omits a lot.  His whole argument about "If the teammate is in a crucial position, help him regardless of his color" is true, but only marginally useful.  If you look at your map and decide the lone guy at E1 needs help, it's probably already too late for you to get there in time to help him.  (I hear Lemming mostly plays fast tanks, so it works better for him.)   If you think E1 is the key position and you're in a heavy tank, you need to head there at the start of the battle and only leave if there are plenty of friendly tanks there. 

So when you're sitting in the starting spawn in your Tiger II wondering, "Where should I go?", there are two approaches:  Either go to the most important spot on the map (which is boring, and might leave you stranded by a team that lemmings the wrong way), or find the best player on your team and follow him on the assumptions that A) he's probably going to choose an important spot, and B) wherever he goes is likely to become the decisive point of the fight.  Yes, sometimes he will disappoint you, but he didn't get to be purple by doing the wrong thing most of the time. 

The military axiom is, "Always reinforce strength".   At the beginning of your fight, the unicum appears to be your team's greatest strength. 

So my view is: if XVM makes you toxic, don't use it.  (If chat makes you toxic, don't use that, either.)  But if numbers don't freak you out and you use them wisely, you might benefit from XVM.

And if you use XVM to snipe the best players on the enemy's team... who cares? They're already purple, already winning tournaments, and already having plenty of fun picking on weaker players.  Getting killed doesn't bother them any more than it bothers the rest of us, and they suffer less of it anyway.  XVM sniping is just their little cross to bear.

BillT #31 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 19:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26799 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Aug 09 2017 - 13:11, said:

which is the problem as you're giving them the tool to be toxic in the first place

It's kind of like alcohol, which makes some people toxic, but makes others relaxed, outgoing, or happy.  If you're a toxic drunk, don't drink -- but don't assume everyone else shares your weakness and try to prohibit them from drinking.

BillT #32 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 19:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26799 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostKen_McGuire, on Aug 09 2017 - 12:23, said:

Vanilla has improved greatly. If only it had a garage filter to show NON-elite tanks that I should grind. This with convenient crew auto-return is what keeps me running mods.

I'm the same way.  I still use Aslain's, but none of the XVM stuff.  I like the 3-row carousel, the automatic crew return, the auto log-in that remembers my preferred server, and the automatic equipment return.  WG could easily have incorporated all of those into the vanilla client years ago, but they're too busy screwing up the game to add such conveniences.

Guest_Heldar_* #33 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 20:11

View Poststrenfoo, on Aug 09 2017 - 10:01, said:

Great video.  Everybody should be required to watch it before using (the stats portion of) XVM.  I always laugh when I see unicums here say they "need" XVM in order to play well.  I respect the really good players who don't use any mods, especially XVM.  I have even higher respect for them when they admit the negative affects XVM has on them, like LemmingRush does in this video.

This is a bad reason to use XVM, IMO.  Like LemmingRush says... a purple player in a red position makes them a tomato and vice versa.  I see blue/purple players throw games all the time.  Don't rely on them just because of their color.  Judge players based on their position.  If you're not sure how to make that judgement, then watch known, good players (e.g. LemmingRush and Zeven) play.

This is actually my biggest problem with wn8 and xvm.   People tend to think, myself included, that teals, blues and purples should carry the crapoutta every game they drop in.  Thats not how it works, wn8 is a statistic.  Sometimes we (teals and up) go full idiot, have a bad day, or are trying something new to see if it will work.  Sometimes we go to the right positions, and we simply get out played or [edited]rng on accuracy or penetration for that 1 or 2 shots that could have made it a win on that flank.  Learning from the better players is just fine, expecting them to always do amazing isnt so much.  Our stats just mean we tend to perform better more times than we dont, not that we always perform better.

Guido1212 #34 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 76957 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Aug 09 2017 - 18:11, said:

I reject that notion completely and utterly.  It's a cop out, an excuse, and it supports weakness.  They will be toxic anyway and use something else.  It's not the tool being used it's the user that's a tool.

vinnybagadonuts #35 Posted Aug 09 2017 - 23:24

Captain

• Players
  • 28589 battles
if wg would actually implement auto return/equip...and give the option to disable more of the pretty nonsense graphics in the game(trees and leaves swaying, shadows, etc)...id never run any modpacks much less xvm.

Drseckzytime #36 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 16120 battles
  • [PBLRD] PBLRD
He is absolutely right. XVM needs to go for his reasons listed which are cancerous to this game and it's community, especially in it's weakened state right now.  Not to mention all the "XVM sniping" that goes on.

BrassFire #37 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 02:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2842 battles

View PostSonicAnatidae, on Aug 09 2017 - 16:40, said:

I run XVM for 1 main reason. I use it to find the better players in the Rando PUB games I play in and shadow them, from a distance. 

I've learned a great deal about where better players go, sometimes why they go there and if I'm careful, I can assist them in taking down enemy tanks, without crowding them. 

I also like knowing my damage output Avg for games/tanks. That's the general measure I use to determine how well I'm doing. Tracking WR, good or bad, isn't really my jam. 

This is the only time I've seen somebody using XVM for a truly positive reason.

rspctd #38 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 06:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 15164 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB

Only mod I use is my brain

Jk I'm a stinky warpack abusing uniscum haHAA

ketchupboy2002 #39 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 07:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5116 battles
  • [BOOM_] BOOM_

View Postlinxcc, on Aug 09 2017 - 16:32, said:

SHUT UP. THE ONLY MOD I RUN IS THE ONE TO AUTO RETURN CREW AND AUTO MOVE EQUIPMENT. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT, YOU'RE DUMB FOR WASTING YOUR TIME DOING IT MANUALLY. IM LAZY AND SO ARE YOU.

I didn't even know things like that existed. I couldn't figure out how to get texture packs to make the tanks look different :sceptic:

Bilderberger #40 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 10:15

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5812 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM

View Postvinnybagadonuts, on Aug 09 2017 - 17:24, said:

if wg would actually implement auto return/equip...and give the option to disable more of the pretty nonsense graphics in the game(trees and leaves swaying, shadows, etc)...id never run any modpacks much less xvm.

Add the fact you can install xvm and NOT activate stats, and get the perks without the player colors/stats.  The auto equip, crew return, no gold, garage stats, minimap tweaks, and in game average damage are excellent.

Also tagged with XVM, stats, players, purple, red, positions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users