Test server is helpful to low/mid tier players wanting to test those tanks(Facetious thread)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

AbramsSmakr #1 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 21:19

Major

• Players
  • 5654 battles

Some complain about slow game starts in test server.. There's always a simple solution to slow battle starts in test. Lets say you need to test out tier 4-7 tanks that you are considering buying in the near future, but you don't yet play ANY tier 9-10 tanks, so you have zero desire or need to use a tier 9 or 10 tank. What are you to do? Well the answer is very simple, helpful and practical considering your current needs and desires......... You just pick up ONLY tier 9 and 10 tanks, and play ONLY them! See how helpful and practical that solution is, considering your current needs? Well, actually it isn't helpful or practical. But it will get you into battles MUCH faster, because that's what pretty much everyone else is ALWAYS doing in test. Also, want to test the stock AP rounds to find weak spots, while testing your own tank's armor against common AP rounds? There's a practical and helpful solution to this too! Fuh-get about it..... Just spam gold! That's what everyone else is doing as well! If you dont, you'll just die quicker. 

In other words, if you are playing tiers 1-7, and want to test those tanks. It ain't gonna happen! Although it is possible to get a tier 7 tank into a battle VERY early in the morning(2-3AM) when Russian players are online in decent numbers, as long as you don't mind waiting at least a few mins, AND you don't mind being against tier 9 tanks 90++% of the time, and you don't expect to EVER be high tier!

First of all, I expect to hear from at least 1 purist, who'll say something like, "the purpose of test server is for you to help wargaming find and fix bugs in the new patch before it's released, so you aren't supposed to be testing tanks or ammo anyway". Well, that's only partly true, but mostly nonsense. Wargaming obviously wants feedback on their patches before release, but if test was ONLY for the STRICT purpose of testing for bugs, they wouldn't give you 20,000 gold and 100,000,000 credits and endless XP to buy many tanks that you want to play. Also, they would likely only choose certain people who have experience in patch testing, while weeding out players with less than several thousand games altogether. The reality is that they know that most people are test driving tanks before they purchase them. 

landedkiller #2 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 22:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7557 battles
I am very confused by the purpose of this thread and test server can be used to test tiers 8-10 obviously there are going to be people on there who don't know what they are doing. You and I can't control that fact and it is best to take a break if your feeling frustrated about something.

Blucraft #3 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 22:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7255 battles

The test server is open to everyone; sorry if few people want to play lower tier tanks with you :(.  I blame MM....

-Blu

oldewolfe #4 Posted Aug 10 2017 - 22:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9836 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Unfortunately however, most only Play the Tier 10's...     Been that way for Years, right along with the Gold Spam...

I started on the Test Server to work on my Next Tiers and see the New Game Changes, never worked out and after several Failed 5 Minute Ques trying for the Matches I wanted, I got the Tier 10's in those Lines...      That did learn a thing or two in itself, some of those Tier 10's weren't what I wanted, or in the case of Light Tanks (I had the MT25 at time) and being not Ready to play Scouts, so I switched Lines....     

This time it gave me a chance to buy back some Olde Tanks and see if I wanted them back again, so far the answer is No, so the Crew will move on to another Tank....        It also has me Grinding Tanks again instead of Credits and XP alone as some of my present Lines I would like to Complete, like the Kranvagn.....     It wasn't available in the Game at all when I was last on the Test Server, I am at the Emil I right now working to the Emil II...     That and my Grinds to the IS7 and Centurion AX have been given the Go Ahead again.....

Most people want to use what they are Familiar with in their Garage, but at the Lower Tiers, that's not always Possible...    Went thru that with the Artillery Changes...       Wanted to use my M44 instead of the Upper Tier Artillery to see how those Changes were to Affect it directly, never got a Game until the 40/43, not what I wanted to see really....

WG is pretty Generous with the Gold and Credits, and the only way to play the 30 vs 30 IS with Tier 10's....     So yah, that's what you see...     Nature of the Beast, what can ya do...

da_Rock002 #5 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 01:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4343 battles

What I've found that makes the Common Test quite useful is it's volume of players.  

I've only been using those servers for 3 cycles now, being new at the game.   Right away I noticed there are two of them running.   Just like USE/USW.   But there is a difference.   The test servers usually carry more players and are usually equally loaded.   No matter which one they put me on, I'm usually seeing more players than are on USE the same time of day (morning here vs morning there   or evening there vs evening here).     Recently WoT-NA has put me on USW every so often.   Turns out most times that happens the USW load is significantly less than USE.   I usually don't notice for a couple of battles.   The numbers in queue are less and the waits take a bit longer.   I'm not sure but the players seem a bit 'different' too.    Truth is, I prefer to run with 1/3 the ping and when running Reserves, with shorter waits.    

An example? of the volumes.

Wednesday @ 14:39  USE showed 10,170 players while USW showed 3,320.

When they were @  13:18 their time  CT1 showed 11,213 and CT2 showed 10,733.

Does it matter?    Some say it does. 

da_Rock002 #6 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 01:34

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4343 battles

One thing I've noticed about the lower tier matches on CT is there seem to be as many newbies as I've seen over here on NA.  

I'm guessing the newbies over there have discovered something about the test system.     It actually is honestly FREE TO PLAY.    And found it's as realistic practice as you can find.   And you can actually test drive stuff you think you might buy. 

If you are a newbie, keep in mind that prime time here (evening, like right now) is late night to dead of night there. 

They don't always have 22000 on their CTs.            

AbramsSmakr #7 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 5654 battles

View Postlandedkiller, on Aug 10 2017 - 16:14, said:

I am very confused by the purpose of this thread and test server can be used to test tiers 8-10 obviously there are going to be people on there who don't know what they are doing. You and I can't control that fact and it is best to take a break if your feeling frustrated about something.

Well, the purpose was humor. There are some benefits to test server, as long as you dont care that you wont likely be able to test tanks from tiers 2-6, and have difficulty getting tanks of tier 7 into games. Its frustrating to spend the time, over and over, to purchase, upgrade, train crews, retrain skills/perks for tanks at tier 6 that I want to try before I buy, but cant get into battles with them after the first night(if even then). But if it doesnt matter that you are using tier 9-10 tanks, then you can go in and practice some of the basic techniques that you need to sharpen up. So theres that. The only reason I discovered the Sturer Emil, is because tier 7 tanks are the lowest tier I can get into battles with. Granted its almost always against tier 9 opponents, but its been 'enlightening'.

Edited by AbramsSmakr, Aug 11 2017 - 08:23.

da_Rock002 #8 Posted Aug 11 2017 - 08:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4343 battles

For example...

It's dead of night here right now.   I started 10 battles ago.   They were just waking up over there.   The server with the most players had just under 4K. 

I had a wait just over a minute for the first battle.

After about 3 battles the server load was 5K and I didn't record the waits because they weren't worth noting.

They are roughly 7 hours difference. 

Best thing is they provide a decent server load a lot of times it's needed. 

Funny thing is I usually see higher ping than to USW by half-again but no problems that I've noticed with rubber-banding etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users