Basics for Season 6

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Ken_McGuire #1 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:03

Captain

• Players
  • 27091 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

There is a marathon thread complaining, and defending the choices made by WGNA for Season 6. If you want to talk about that, please go there to talk about it. In that thread there were a few experienced players who were offering help to players and clans that wanted to learn.

Since there is so much noise over there, I was hoping that some of you experienced players who would be willing to share that experience could post on what we should know before going into battle. Ideas off the top of my head would include what are the more useful tanks to bring, where are the best tools to share map tactics with the team ahead of time, etc. I am sure you experienced players know more about what we should know that I even know to ask. Of course, I am not asking for you to share super-secret strategies. But info for us to avoid common mistakes...

BigDollarBillz #2 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 34681 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
We use stratsketch to go over the strat. Also the bigger clans run the meta tanks such as batchat, 907, 62-a 140, 113 111-5a, maus, e3, e4, etc.Just don't chip more battles than teams you can field. After so many strikes, you won't be able to do cw for a few days. If you decide to use stratsketch, and have any trouble hit me up in game and I'll help you get it going.

Ken_McGuire #3 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:19

Captain

• Players
  • 27091 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER
Not to be too critical, but I have not really heard the better players say the e4 is meta, although I have heard of using a hull down e3 on a corridor.

Edited by Ken_McGuire, Aug 12 2017 - 19:21.

Bsan77 #4 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:21

Captain

• Players
  • 13008 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostKen_McGuire, on Aug 12 2017 - 12:19, said:

Not to be too critical, but I have not really heard the better players say the e4 is meta, although I have heard of using a hull down e3 on a corridor.

The E4 is a good counter to the Maus. Right-click left-click=pen.

TheVahl #5 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20413 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

Not the most experienced, especially at Tier 10, but I have called some battles at all tiers.  I'll give you my two cents worth on the basics of Tier 10.

--What tanks are best will depend on the map, your strat and what your players have the highest level crew in and play the best.  Autoloaders are useful, but going with too many can cause you problems.  Having said all of that, BatChats, TVPs, Russian meds are always good to have (in limited numbers).  If you are playing city maps you want strong frontal armor heavies (and possibly 1 or 2 TDs) such as the German and Russian Heavies.  On field maps you may prefer your heavies to have better gun depression with solid turret armor (110E5, Kranvagn, T57, etc). Arty is quite viable on many maps at Tier 10.

--I have always liked WotTactic for my planning, you can save strats under your profile for future use and constant updating.

--Don't be afraid to steal good ideas from others, always save replays to review.  We usually do a post battle review to get feedback from everyone who participated so that we can revise strats and tank lineups.

--In 15v15 you will normally not fight all your tanks in one big group, so it is very useful to have a secondary caller for calling out focus firing and making sure everyone in his/her group does what they are supposed to do.  This allows the primary caller to only issue an order to the main group and to the leader of the secondary group.  This may often be your "scout" group or "flanking" group.  Many clans will place their primary caller in an arty to give them the bird's eye view and take some pressure of having to call and maneuver a tank off of them.  

I'll let others delve into more advanced advice, hope this helps someone.  

Edited by TheVahl, Aug 12 2017 - 19:23.

RingZero #6 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 20305 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
E4 is not meta.  Neither is 62a, I've seen more 907 and maybe 140 if that's all the guy has.

Bsan77 #7 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 19:45

Captain

• Players
  • 13008 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

View PostTheVahl, on Aug 12 2017 - 12:22, said:

Not the most experienced, especially at Tier 10, but I have called some battles at all tiers.  I'll give you my two cents worth on the basics of Tier 10.

--What tanks are best will depend on the map, your strat and what your players have the highest level crew in and play the best.  Autoloaders are useful, but going with too many can cause you problems.  Having said all of that, BatChats, TVPs, Russian meds are always good to have (in limited numbers).  If you are playing city maps you want strong frontal armor heavies (and possibly 1 or 2 TDs) such as the German and Russian Heavies.  On field maps you may prefer your heavies to have better gun depression with solid turret armor (110E5, Kranvagn, T57, etc). Arty is quite viable on many maps at Tier 10.

--I have always liked WotTactic for my planning, you can save strats under your profile for future use and constant updating.

--Don't be afraid to steal good ideas from others, always save replays to review.  We usually do a post battle review to get feedback from everyone who participated so that we can revise strats and tank lineups.

--In 15v15 you will normally not fight all your tanks in one big group, so it is very useful to have a secondary caller for calling out focus firing and making sure everyone in his/her group does what they are supposed to do.  This allows the primary caller to only issue an order to the main group and to the leader of the secondary group.  This may often be your "scout" group or "flanking" group.  Many clans will place their primary caller in an arty to give them the bird's eye view and take some pressure of having to call and maneuver a tank off of them.  

I'll let others delve into more advanced advice, hope this helps someone.  

This is good starting advice, especially the part about watching replays from what beat you, and trying to make it your own. Though, you do have to make it your own. It's very hard to call a strat that you don't understand, so just straight copying strats can be hard to do. The tanks you bring are specific to each map, and what you're wanting to do in each battle. There's not really any universal advice to give other than the 907 is the best RU med. Which program you use is caller-specific. Whichever one you like best(StratSketch, Map Tactic, WotTactic, or you could use MS Paint :3). Our callers hardly ever call from arty, but again, that's caller-specific. A lot of it is just figuring out what works best for your team/caller. Gl! :P

mojave #8 Posted Aug 12 2017 - 20:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22785 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
Try to put people in the right tanks. What i mean by that is if someone excels in heavy tanks but arent so good in mediums dont make them play a medium.

Georgietheprincess #9 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 14:20

Captain

• WGLNA Bronze League Player
  • 35178 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Tackle problems one at a time. Whats your biggest problem in cw?

Lack of strategies? Then work on building a caller.

Player skill? Incentive your players to play at tier 10. 

Tank Diversity? Incentive your players to get more tier 10's

Experience? Play lz's 

Clan wars at tier 10 is hard, but its not as hard as you think, mostly it just comes down to putting in the work and getting the experience. If you get beaten by something steal it and use it yourself, improve your teamplay by coordinating more clan events like stronks etc... arent difficult to do, they just take time and a willingness to play frequently.

biggun52 #10 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 14:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 57758 battles
  • [_-W-_] _-W-_

Great Advice!  I just want to add that your players have to understand the weak points on all the Tier 10 tanks.  It's important that you pen your shots.  Spend time in a training room, explaining the weak points, shooting the weak points, learn how to angle your tank to avoid getting penned in your weak point.  It takes time and effort but it's worth it when you get into battle.  Good Luck!

iWrangleEmus #11 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 13:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33241 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostRingZero, on Aug 12 2017 - 13:22, said:

E4 is not meta. Neither is 62a, I've seen more 907 and maybe 140 if that's all the guy has.

I think that depends on the caller Ring. Personally I would take e4s a lot on city maps or maps they can move in rather then e3s. They are harder hitting e5s and counter MAUS/TYPE5. As for ru meds its just 907

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users