let's talk about this central server nonsense

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Scanjoon #81 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:00

Major

• Players
  • 24544 battles

Block Quote

Server consilidation is nothing but a good thing though. Like it has no bearing on if the game is going to die sooner or later. The fact you think it does shows how poor your critical thinking skills actually are.

Why would I bother reading the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist who has nothing to do but come up with silly theories as to why things are being done. I'll just point and laugh at you, because watching you make a fool of yourself by thinking that the game is dying or that WG is doing this because of money or that the server merge wont be a good thing is HILARIOUS.

And if you eventually are found to have been wrong, how do you like your Crow...fried, baked, broiled,....?

Avalon304 #82 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:24

Major

• Players
  • 16593 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostScanjoon, on Aug 12 2017 - 19:00, said:

And if you eventually are found to have been wrong, how do you like your Crow...fried, baked, broiled,....?

Dont worry. Im not wrong. Because Im not an idiot.

poppavein #83 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:30

Captain

• Players
  • 23734 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

I can't help but think this is also a solution to their chat server and east coast packet loss woes. 

Since it isn't an issue on their other servers, probably an internet infrastructure problem that can be resolved by relocation. 

Crazy___Canuck #84 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18458 battles
  • [GUNS4] GUNS4

I play from Midwest Canada (Calgary), and pings for me are around 100 NAW, and 130 NAE.......if this change helps with my ping to under 100, I'd be a very happy camper.  If it doesn't, I'd likely quit. There are at least 9 hops for me, and soon as it hits WG servers (telia), my ping doubles.  Fewer hops, and a new server provider would be welcome.  I'm hoping for the best, as this is a great game for me, and hope to keep playing for a long time!  

At least get a fresh batch of hamsters, and a new bag of potatoes WG!!  

Good luck WG, as your player base (at least what's left), have their fingers crossed!!   

docroberts #85 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 03:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17698 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX
I'm smack in the middle of the states , and my MS on my internet ISP is 8 ... The game runs 30+ depending on what ever has been updated on either east or west and my FPS runs 100ish no mater which side I play . I would think cutting maintenance cost would be a good thing though and why should they have to have two servers to run if they can do it on one and maybe they can then focus on the problems more with the game instead of trying to keep two severs going  ,, Just my thoughts .. Over all it's a company and being so has lost thousands of players in the last 2 years so being so they have to cut cost .. 

Crazy___Canuck #86 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 04:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18458 battles
  • [GUNS4] GUNS4
When I'm on the west coast visiting family......I get about 25ms ping........totally and completely awesome!  I just wish for something like that at home.  If this server is in the central US, I can only hope for something under 100.  It is what it will be........guess we'll see!  I eternally and optimistically hopeful!!  Here's hoping for something better for the majority!!!

Thornir #87 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

I live in the PAcNorthwest. I play on the US East server. My ping is around 100 ms. Completely playable. 

I prefer the East server because with 15k players on at night, there's a prayer I won't be bottom tier in my T8's all night long.

WG's servers will easily handle the 25k or so max players we can generate in NA.

OP is being selfish.

haraka #88 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 06:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 49491 battles
  • [MBK] MBK

I gave up on this NA server only play EU... screw this server hope it dies fast to get my main on the EU or RU  server

Asassian7 #89 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 09:34

Major

• Players
  • 23752 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
you have this all backwards OP.

NA is losing players, yes. This much is obvious. We know it, WG knows it. There is zero sense currently in keeping 2 servers up when West cannot even form proper games currently (which is mostly due to the new MM but I digress) you can say its about downsizing or cost cutting as much as you want, but as much as it is about that, its also about keeping the bloody server populated.

Yes East server is the biggest server. But thats mostly because thats where CW, Tournaments, strongholds etc etc are held. I garuntee that if they swapped east and west for those events, west would become the more popular server.

Next, A central server is MUCH better than keeping just east server (or just west server) for a start, East is Notorious for having constant lag, packet loss, poor network routing, and every other network server related issue under the sun, and has had these issues SINCE 2012 AT LEAST! Just keeping east will continue to have these issues. A new Central server will give WG the opportunity to Completely renew the Network routing and help minimise the lag people experience. In fact I bet the recent east server lag, and the request for Pingplotters and network tests from players has actually had a large impact on the decision to create this server.

Thirdly. Sure, East coast players may suffer a small loss in ping. But west and International players will experience a gain in ping when playing Clan wars and all that stuff. East coast players will lose what? 20-30 ping? Pfft. I play on 150 to west and 230 to east with zero issues. East coast players can suck it up and play with 50 ping instead of 20 ping so west coast players can play at 50 ping instead of 80 ping, and us Oceania players can play at 180 ping instead of 230. Whining that you'll lose an insignificant amount of ping is such a non issue there's no point im even debating it.

As for Server load. EU deals with 100K+ players per server no issue, and RU deals with 100-200K players on EACH OF ITS 7 DIFFERENT SERVERS. How could you possibly assume that with all time NA high for players on at once (which is more like 20K now) could possibly create any server load issues?

Next, speaking of the new MM. Its no secret that NA west especially cannot even create proper games currently. And Neither server can deal with people who want to platoon at any time of day, especially at tier 10, without mega long wait times. A single server will allow the MM to be much more able to create full games, NA players will have much more balanced games, the current issues of tier 8s being constantly drafted into tier 10 games will be lessended by more population, and us Oceania players will actually be able to PLAY the game at all without constant 3-5 minute queue times.

The positives of this server FAR AND AWAY outweigh the negatives. Of which the negatives are: east players and EU players get slightly higher ping. The positives are literally everything else

Viserion_Dies #90 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 10:00

Major

• Players
  • 29976 battles
  • [FADED] FADED

View PostBsan77, on Aug 12 2017 - 18:48, said:

Oh noez my ping will go up 20ms how can I play above 300 WN8??????/s I'm from Oklahoma, so I think it's hilarious to watch people complain. My ping will be better than ever! Ha, take that! :3

you are in Oklahoma. your only joy in life is having lower ping. my condolences.

ImaKillYou #91 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 15:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23857 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT

View Postenjineer, on Aug 12 2017 - 11:48, said:

A centralized server should have been what we had from day 1.

We DID have one.  NA was split in 2 early 2012.

xBuckleyx #92 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 15:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8317 battles

View PostBsan77, on Aug 12 2017 - 19:48, said:

Oh noez my ping will go up 20ms how can I play above 300 WN8??????/s I'm from Oklahoma, so I think it's hilarious to watch people complain. My ping will be better than ever! Ha, take that! :3

Yea... why is it I have a sneaking suspicion that 20ms should be the least of most people's concerns about their game?  I live in the Midwest so I'll take whatever help I can get.  :D

ImaKillYou #93 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 16:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23857 battles
  • [-GENT] -GENT

View PostRocketmandb, on Aug 12 2017 - 16:33, said:

1) The East Coast has 38% of the population of the US. I would imagine that the number of players correlates for the most part. So, no, the majority of the population would not be hurt by this. The reason the numbers of WoT players is so high on East, is that most people play there regardless of location - primarily due to things like time to get in games, strongholds, tournaments, clan wars, etc. I live on the west coast, but primarily play the East server - many others do the same. So... most people will be helped by this. Those on the east coast may see their ping times go up (gasp!) from ~15 - 30 ms to maybe 30 - 45 ms. The horror... Those in the middle of the country will see their ping times drop by a similar amount. For players like me on the west coast, we'll see our ping times go from ~90 ms to more like 60. 

2) So the servers experience more load - that's controllable. Get more horsepower. It ain't rocket science, and I know rocket science.

3) This statement is... I'll be nice... off base. The central server move not only makes sense, it is one of the best things they can do (see answer to #4 below).

4) "This is not a fix." Ok, so let's look back at when they did the server split. Back then, the packet loss to the server from the west coast made the game unplayable. I mean, it was really, really bad. This was happening on the Telia network. Every few seconds you'd glitch. The easy fix would have been to bring in a new network provider. So why didn't they? CAVEAT: WHAT FOLLOWS IS CONJECTURE. Telia did not have a presence of any meaning in the US, and wanted to break into the market. They had a partnership with WG internationally, and I believe that there was some sort of exclusivity tied to it. WGNA could not, at the time, shift network providers because of this, so they were stuck. The only way not to lose the entire western half of the US was to open a second server on the west coast. I can understand it from a business perspective, if my conjecture is close to true, but from a game/product perspective it was shear stupidity. It bifurcated the player base, and for those of us involved in league, CW, tournaments, etc., WE STILL GOT SCREWED. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Now they are finally rectifying one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my career (which involves a significant data/network component). 

This server merge should have been done years ago. At least it's getting done now.

You Sir nailed it with #4.

You are spot on where it comes to WG and Telia.  Telia and their garbage infrastructure in the US was/are the cause of most lag/packetloss issues. Hopefully WG will use a decent service provider for the new server, but we all know they will choose the cheapest.

Rocketmandb #94 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 19:52

Captain

• Players
  • 46713 battles
  • [CARTE] CARTE

View Postotacon237, on Aug 13 2017 - 00:59, said:

​we're not talking about if it's good or bad, we're talking about WHY it's being done and what it reflects in term's of the game's lifespan as a whole. it's not for people with goldfish attention spans that can't read the whole OP either....

​really, let's not bring politics into this. whatever you think of the current administration, a videogame forum isn't an outlet for it. also, I SERIOUSLY doubt a bunch of mediocre tank devs in Minsk could give 2 craps about American politics 

​1. if you play the game, you'll clearly see that the east coast has more players than the west. at least in terms of servers. this isn't rocket science, as you say.

2. are you telling me to get more horsepower, or wargaming? because right now, i'm rocking a watercooled 1080 on a xeon processor, 32gigs of ram and all on a terabyte SSD. my rig is probably better than the potatos the devs use, and i'm on 150mb internet as well. there's no horsepower issues on my end. on the other hand, if you're referring to WG, then I agree with you. however, this has been beat to death and WG still continues to use cheap Telia garbage. so there's no reason to think it's going to be any different now. 

3. yeah, and getting to the hospital is "one of the best things you can do" if a .308 says "hi" to your jugular vein, (which is actually a nice metaphor for this game's player base), doesn't mean you're likely to make it out of there in anything except a bodybag. strawman response at best.

4.so, the server was in DC where you were having a good connection, they split off part of the playerbase to California (which you opted to play on even though the DC one gave you a better connection.......for god knows what reason), and now they're going to presumably move it to somewhere in the central US, how exactly are you going to benefit from this again? based on your explanation, the only reason you will benefit is because you chose to play on the suboptimal server in the first place. 

Please try to gain some reading comprehension. It clearly is not your strong suit.

To address your rather poor attempt at a response:

1) You have no effing clue what rocket science is, as shown in your response. I stated this in my previous post, but I'll do it again because clearly you need to read things more than once to have any chance at understanding them. The reason more people play on the east server is because there are more strongholds, tournaments, etc. on east. People naturally gravitate there because there are more players. Server population DOES NOT MATCH population distribution across the U.S. Are you really that dense that I need to explain that to you?

2) Sigh - you are really dense, aren't you. Server horsepower.

3) Is English a second language to you? I have no clue what point you're trying to make. Perhaps some professional help is in order here.

4) Here's that good old reading comprehension thing coming back. I said: "the packet loss to the server from the west coast made the game unplayable." Do I have to spell out to you that I live on the West Coast? How could you possibly glean from that statement that I had a better connection to the DC server and decided to play on the West server with a worse connection? 

Really?

Edited by Rocketmandb, Aug 13 2017 - 19:59.

Shortcult #95 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 19:58

Major

• Players
  • 30724 battles

You said sober and then.....whatever.

I find it difficult to believe that WG is buying brand new servers to establish a central location.

I find it difficult to believe that WG is moving current servers to a central location.

There are very large server farms that will in fact, for a fee, allow other companies to utilize those servers.  Theoretically it is less expensive than running your own.

There must be a central point I am working slowly around.

Hurk #96 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 20:06

Major

• Players
  • 45704 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View PostShortcult, on Aug 13 2017 - 11:58, said:

You said sober and then.....whatever.

I find it difficult to believe that WG is buying brand new servers to establish a central location.

I find it difficult to believe that WG is moving current servers to a central location.

There are very large server farms that will in fact, for a fee, allow other companies to utilize those servers.  Theoretically it is less expensive than running your own.

There must be a central point I am working slowly around.

99% of the time when you co-locate a game server set that is using normal protocols which their server code does, you run on whatever hardware the co-lo provides for your service agreement level. 

its normal for these agreements to have a 3-5 year refresh cycle. nothing is older than that. 

WoT as a server product requires approximately 1 core per game. figure with overhead, etc, a standard 2x socket box with 16 core CPUs will handle 30 games at once. IE they need approximately. 50 servers to handle 45,000 players. 

Swell_Sell #97 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 20:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20327 battles
  • [AJ] AJ
I just want to play at any time of day without queue times becoming ridiculously long. If centralizing the servers can make that a reality, then I'm all for it.

Da_Craw #98 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 21:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21431 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostNehalim, on Aug 13 2017 - 03:00, said:

you are in Oklahoma. your only joy in life is having lower ping. my condolences.

No, smart guy.  We have tornadoes, too.  You haven't lived until a random murder wind tears through town to remind you how nice your intact roof is.  And cicadas.  We have those.  Though you probably have them wherever you are. 

Shortcult #99 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 22:12

Major

• Players
  • 30724 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Aug 13 2017 - 12:52, said:

No, smart guy.  We have tornadoes, too.  You haven't lived until a random murder wind tears through town to remind you how nice your intact roof is.  And cicadas.  We have those.  Though you probably have them wherever you are. 

Been through Ft. Sill many times.  Got to check that box off my life experiences...tornado, check.  Hurricane, check.  Earthquake, check.  Flood, check.  Drought, check.  Tidal wave...well hell, looks like I'm missing out.

And cicadas are annoying. 

Fly_Guy8791 #100 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 22:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13177 battles
A central server in a place like Austin Texas (a tech hub that has fiber internet) would be ideal for the NA community.

Edited by Fly_Guy8791, Aug 13 2017 - 22:34.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users