Wargaming, now's the time to offer server transfers, or you'll lose me for good.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Aegis270 #1 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 00:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

So the Central server has been announced. Great! Except for the players that it sucks really hard for. Yep, we Australians and Kiwis and everyone else from South East Asia who play on the NA server are now screwed. Generally, we can manage about 200 ping to NAW. While not ideal, this is playable, and we've adapted to it in order to play the game.

I'm sure, at this point, some of you are asking why we don't just play on the SEA server instead. Well, there's a couple of reasons. Firstly, due to where that server is located, my ping isn't that much better than NAW. Around 180 ping. Secondly, English is much rarer, as most people playing are from Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and other Asia countries. Thirdly, the standard of play there is pretty appalling, at least when I did play there. 

Now with a central server being set up, that previously manageable 200 ping is going to jump. Their current server hosting contractor has servers in Denver (Which would probably be a modest, 220 ping), Houston and Dallas (Closer to 230 ping) and worst of all Chicago (At 240-250 ping). 

Bottom line is, the ping may jump to a point where play is unfeasible. And I'm not about to start the grind from scratch all over again, losing all my premiums and progression. So, considering the circumstances, this would be an ideal time to offer players the one time option of transfer their account and everything in it over to the SEA server. Or the EU server, for any European players in the same position. I know server roaming has been shot down time and again, but considering this special case where they are likely to lose a not insignificant portion of their playerbase for good if they don't do this, surely they'll at least look into it. 

Classics4lyfe #2 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 00:54

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7435 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
Very valid point I hope they do something to fix it for you!

Kamahl1234 #3 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 00:55

Major

• Players
  • 17969 battles

Honestly, I wouldn't go all "doom and gloom" on ping before we even know the actual effects it'll have.

Threatening over speculation is a bit silly. 

kebab6597 #4 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 53009 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
It would be a perfect time for them to offer server transfers but I wouldn't hold your breath sadly its not very likely they will ever offer transfers before the active population on the NA server is down to its last couple of thousand players

_Gungrave_ #5 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:00

Major

• Players
  • 36823 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN
Well you can always wait a couple more years to see when they will decide to shut down NA for good as that is likely when they will offer server transfers but knowing WG they'd probably charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

Aegis270 #6 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on Aug 12 2017 - 23:55, said:

Honestly, I wouldn't go all "doom and gloom" on ping before we even know the actual effects it'll have.

Threatening over speculation is a bit silly. 

Not so much a threat as a dire prediction. It's not like I'm throwing my hands up and leaving for good out of sheer indignity. I'd be leaving because the ping gets to a point that I cannot play. Many other will be like me. We want to play your game, buy your premium, all that jazz. But the servers combining is going to prevent us from enjoying the game, so we will leave. This is 100% avoidable, but it's on WG to get off it's [edited]and be proactive here. 

SuckerPuncher #7 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37187 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS

View PostAegis270, on Aug 12 2017 - 17:52, said:

So the Central server has been announced. Great! Except for the players that it sucks really hard for. Yep, we Australians and Kiwis and everyone else from South East Asia who play on the NA server are now screwed. Generally, we can manage about 200 ping to NAW. While not ideal, this is playable, and we've adapted to it in order to play the game.

I'm sure, at this point, some of you are asking why we don't just play on the SEA server instead. Well, there's a couple of reasons. Firstly, due to where that server is located, my ping isn't that much better than NAW. Around 180 ping. Secondly, English is much rarer, as most people playing are from Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and other Asia countries. Thirdly, the standard of play there is pretty appalling, at least when I did play there. 

Now with a central server being set up, that previously manageable 200 ping is going to jump. Their current server hosting contractor has servers in Denver (Which would probably be a modest, 220 ping), Houston and Dallas (Closer to 230 ping) and worst of all Chicago (At 240-250 ping). 

Bottom line is, the ping may jump to a point where play is unfeasible. And I'm not about to start the grind from scratch all over again, losing all my premiums and progression. So, considering the circumstances, this would be an ideal time to offer players the one time option of transfer their account and everything in it over to the SEA server. Or the EU server, for any European players in the same position. I know server roaming has been shot down time and again, but considering this special case where they are likely to lose a not insignificant portion of their playerbase for good if they don't do this, surely they'll at least look into it. 

Holy crap!  what would we do if we lost both of you guys?

Aegis270 #8 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

View PostSuckerPuncher, on Aug 13 2017 - 00:07, said:

Holy crap!  what would we do if we lost both of you guys?

Laugh all you want, but it's way more than 2, and this entire move is because the NA servers have been losing so many players as to become unprofitable for WG. They lose many more without a serious uptick in people signing up, and they'll pull the plug altogether. 

hector1470 #9 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:13

Major

• Players
  • 31201 battles
  • [R-7] R-7
I do see a lot of South Koreans and Japanese play on the West server so I can see how that's a problem myself 

Avalon304 #10 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:15

Major

• Players
  • 17151 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
If the ping went up to 240 that would be better it used to be for all SEA players back when the server was originally a single server in DC....

caramel #11 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:15

Major

• Players
  • 8057 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

View PostAegis270, on Aug 12 2017 - 16:10, said:

Laugh all you want, but it's way more than 2, and this entire move is because the NA servers have been losing so many players as to become unprofitable for WG. They lose many more without a serious uptick in people signing up, and they'll pull the plug altogether. 

and what if the servers are in effect, still two separate server locations, but pooling players together?  Also quit the doom and gloom [edited], World of Warplanes is still running and it has maybe a thousand daily players on its "Combined" servers.

josif90 #12 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 76128 battles
  • [-TIC-] -TIC-

If WOT looses the Aus-NZ players it will be a big deal for the 6 hrs of the day that these make up over a third of the players.

There will be fewer players of the combined server than there are now on the east for a 1/4 of the day.

I play from Nz on the east server quite often now because the MM is better but if the ping is any worse than now it will be unplayable.

WG should at least try to have a server somewhere that works for the south pacific.

I have an SEA acount but this server just sucks from NZ. The ping is bad and there is no one on the server when I want to play. Also the players don't speak English and the play style is horrible.

Doomslinger #13 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:26

Major

• Players
  • 62474 battles
They need a north american central server and a south american central server. That would solve all the problems and I think South America would be closer to Australia than NA west even if it was a central server. You could chum around with BR and other jajajajaja players. It would be mostly team killing and tank ramming at the start of every battle and "testing" their guns.

Duqe #14 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:27

Major

• Players
  • 24550 battles
  • [BERT] BERT
I'm a Euro here, I'd be ecstatic to head on to my own server regardless of all the contacts I'd made here. The server situation currently has spoiled my desire to stay, as playing with 350ms. latency isn't fun in the slightest. And I'm not quite confident enough in Wargaming NA to fix that.

Aegis270 #15 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

View PostDoomslinger, on Aug 13 2017 - 00:26, said:

They need a north american central server and a south american central server. That would solve all the problems and I think South America would be closer to Australia than NA west even if it was a central server. You could chum around with BR and other jajajajaja players. It would be mostly team killing and tank ramming at the start of every battle and "testing" their guns.

Unlikely. All trans-pacific cables land on the west coast of North America. They'd have to route further to get to South America. 

WasabiKid #16 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:43

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6659 battles
Accounts should be free to roam servers and not be bound to any particular region.

Bubba187 #17 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:50

Captain

• Players
  • 41276 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostAegis270, on Aug 12 2017 - 15:52, said:

How about you wait for the server to go live before you actually jump to conclusions?  The sky may fall, or it may not, but it is not currently falling

TheBeaverTank #18 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 873 battles

View PostWasabiKid, on Aug 13 2017 - 01:43, said:

Accounts should be free to roam servers and not be bound to any particular region.

Any objections?

Aegis270 #19 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 01:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

View PostTheBeaverTank, on Aug 13 2017 - 00:54, said:

Any objections?

Mostly technological limitations. It would slow everything down if all servers had to constantly update each other on what accounts are active and on what servers. Of course, this doesn't stop other games from offering roaming for a fee, but apparently the technology is still outside of WG's grasp. That or they don't care. I honestly don't know which. 

ObrumPL #20 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 02:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 13632 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

View PostAegis270, on Aug 12 2017 - 16:52, said:

Valid point, but I would wait and see what happens with the ping etc. before making any decisions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users