Desert maps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

That1Villain #1 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 11:27

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15806 battles
Now personally I think that the worst maps in the game are desert maps, windstorm, and Paris but each to their own. I have a hard time dealing with the desert maps since there is little to no concealment and pretty much every tank relies either on its speed or its armor to do well in any of them. As a fan of support tanks that rely on concealment, I find the maps particularly hard to play. Sand river I find is the hardest to play, is it just me or do other people find these maps awful too? If anyone has any tips how to play lightly armored vehicles on these maps that would be appreciated too.

Lortimer #2 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 11:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 28511 battles

I love the desert maps! Especially sand river. They do make you focus on using the terrain more than hard cover though.

Dirizon #3 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 11:38

Major

• Players
  • 25863 battles
  • [_-W-_] _-W-_

l personally hate camo.  And all the deserts offer bushes here and there for exactly that, camo.  lt is a stagnating, idiot mechanic that causes more deaths, stalemates, fear, lockdowns, and draws than even artillery.  Tanks that rely on camo, have more benefit than tanks that employ armour, simply because they are given the benefit of the doubt by not being shot at. lt is a retarded mechanic that promotes team sacrifice, rather than team work. 

Spotting range should be increased to 475 or 5OOm, total viewable draw perimeter should be likewise increased,  and  EVERY tank upon firing a shot  should have camo drop to  absolutely O  coefficient.  Camo net or bushes shouldn't matter,  those camo bonus' are to keep you hidden if you choose not to fire. Firing should blow that immediately.

This in turn reduces the retarded nature of E25,  S1s,  SU1OO, Etc. 

CynicalDutchie #4 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 11:57

Major

• Players
  • 35470 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

Map design in this game is pretty bad in general combine that with terrible game mechanics like arty and high alpha TDs which make entire parts of the map completely unusable and you get a crapton of maps were only 1 or 2 locations are actually viable.

They even came with the brilliant idea that city maps need huge open areas that are completely useless which means even those maps are severely limited in where you can go.

View PostDirizon, on Aug 13 2017 - 11:38, said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

84Doc04 #5 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 13:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15801 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

Sand river is the best map in the game.  It has terrain for all tank types.  Fast tanks can run around and have room, heavies have brawling corners, snipers can use the size of the map to play the range game, etc...  Even arty can do well on this map.  

El Halluf is a bit more tricky and even though it feels open, it's pretty much a corridor meta in the A1-C3 corner.  It's still fun though.

We do need more, larger maps.  Crappledorf and Ensk are $#!t.  Stallincrap, Kharkov, and Paris are only really decent in a heavy, and they still suck even then.

I wish I could play on the Grand Battle map constantly (or have 5 or 6 more maps like it)

_Gungrave_ #6 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 13:19

Major

• Players
  • 35256 battles

View Post84Doc04, on Aug 13 2017 - 13:04, said:

Sand river is the best map in the game.  It has terrain for all tank types.  Fast tanks can run around and have room, heavies have brawling corners, snipers can use the size of the map to play the range game, etc...  Even arty can do well on this map.  

El Halluf is a bit more tricky and even though it feels open, it's pretty much a corridor meta in the A1-C3 corner.  It's still fun though.

We do need more, larger maps.  Crappledorf and Ensk are $#!t.  Stallincrap, Kharkov, and Paris are only really decent in a heavy, and they still suck even then.

I wish I could play on the Grand Battle map constantly (or have 5 or 6 more maps like it)

All I know is they really need to fix some maps and Paris there is no ifs ands or butts that map has to go.

Overlord as bad as it may be they need to lower the top area of the map to be a bit more level with the beach almost creating a south area of the northwest map with 3 areas to brawl at with open sight lines. Whole problem with that map right now is that beach area because it detracts far too much from every battle when idiots go there and your team is left standing there up top with their ███s in their hands.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Aug 13 2017 - 13:19.

landshark_86 #7 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 13:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6101 battles

the only map that sucks in my book is westfield. I hate that dang thing .

Duqe #8 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 23619 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

View Post84Doc04, on Aug 13 2017 - 13:04, said:

I think the current iteration of El Hallouf is probably the best all-around map. It's a bit predictable in terms of who-goes-where, but it also has that "something for every vehicle" charm.

_Gungrave_ #9 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 35256 battles

View PostDuqe, on Aug 13 2017 - 14:23, said:

I think the current iteration of El Hallouf is probably the best all-around map. It's a bit predictable in terms of who-goes-where, but it also has that "something for every vehicle" charm.

I still remember the old version now that was a hot mess of a map if you wanted to fight in the north where it was literally an uphill battle for the south team. God its a good thing we didn't have the Swedish S tanks back then because that area would be an absolute nightmare with their mountain climbing.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Aug 13 2017 - 14:41.

FeelMy_APCR #10 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 14:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28879 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

View Post_Gungrave_, on Aug 13 2017 - 15:19, said:

All I know is they really need to fix some maps and Paris there is no ifs ands or butts that map has to go.

Overlord as bad as it may be they need to lower the top area of the map to be a bit more level with the beach almost creating a south area of the northwest map with 3 areas to brawl at with open sight lines. Whole problem with that map right now is that beach area because it detracts far too much from every battle when idiots go there and your team is left standing there up top with their ███s in their hands.

Paris is extremely boring due to its corridors. Just... Awful.

While I do agree on the Overlord notes, it is a historical map, so I'd rather see it the way it is. Even though it is far from perfect.

ThePigSheFlies #11 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 15:22

Major

• Players
  • 58905 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

I prefer maps like sandriver way more than the 300m x 300m meat grinders like south Paris.

sand river doesn't have to rely upon camo, but one had better be at least conscious of map awareness and angles - which is why I like it.  bad players whining about draws (lol +/-1% draws is such a statistical chore) camo, and team work prefer the 300m x 300m meat grinders because their tendency to tunnel vision doesn't punish them as much...  they instead like to ignore the rest of the map, which they often can, and then type "stupid team" if they lose one of those rare matches via the other side of the map

Nonamanadus #12 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 15:25

Major

• Players
  • 23232 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

I like dessert maps especially with the UDES.

This morning I was in my tier VIII super heavy VK fighting IXs on Sand River and still had fun (even picked up top damage/experience). The thing is the dessert maps force players to focus on teamwork because it promotes view range/scouting with limited cover that can be countered with flanking. You get players cresting dunes and duelling it out, close in shots to that of the long range snipers.

I think the dessert maps allow for a very dynamic gameplay.

__Worm__ #13 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 28273 battles
  • [WANKO] WANKO

I Like playing this game and, I have no problem with any of the maps old or new.

Once again we are on topic about how people seem to be caught up in "what's best for me forget the rest". That is emphasized by players saying I want it like this because that's how I play.

Like it's been said before we need everyone to be in the same tank with the same ability and one map according to everyone's opinion.... because no one is ever satisfied.

Nothing, not any map is going to be "perfect" no matter what you want to say.

Play the game

Be happy

Love the maps

Blow stuff up

Dave_181 #14 Posted Aug 13 2017 - 22:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14895 battles

Block Quote

Sand river is the best map in the game.

I agree.

Camo and scouts work like they should on all maps. Maneuvering means something besides chasing other tanks around buildings. If the choice were mine I would fight every battle on Sand River. Better yet, I would eliminate urban areas and constricted terrain on other maps so they play more like Sand River.

Dirizon #15 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 03:11

Major

• Players
  • 25863 battles
  • [_-W-_] _-W-_

View PostCynicalDutchie, on Aug 13 2017 - 06:27, said:

Map design in this game is pretty bad in general combine that with terrible game mechanics like arty and high alpha TDs which make entire parts of the map completely unusable and you get a crap ton of maps were only 1 or 2 locations are actually viable.

OOOOOOOOOOO

Yet artillery  and  Alpha TDs,  minus obj 7O4,  are generally the worst performers by tier in damage dealt.

The armoured heavy tank, the fast DPM heavy tank,  the versatile medium have way better performance parameters at a glance.

And l have never said that before. Lies.

Zaikadi #16 Posted Aug 20 2017 - 23:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20144 battles
  • [S-F] S-F
As a group, I like the desert maps the most. I mostly play lights and mediums, but all three maps provide good locations for heavies and TDs.

FrozenKemp #17 Posted Aug 21 2017 - 00:13

Major

• Players
  • 41048 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR
I like Sand River.  El Halluf, not so much.  It would probably be a lot more interesting if the landscape was a lot more level and more areas were in play. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users