• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

MajorVom #41 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM

View PostMamas_Calvin, on Aug 14 2017 - 15:27, said:

You might disagree with the ratios of importance placed on damage, kills, WR, etc,

You might... yah...

Mamas_Calvin #42 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40369 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostMajorVom, on Aug 14 2017 - 17:32, said:

You might... yah...

So what do you think your ideal metric would be weighted towards? Distance traveled? Bounced shots? Average trees knocked down? Please enlighten us as to where WN8 is incorrectly representing your greatness.

Kerosedge #43 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 02:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16529 battles
  • [HCK] HCK
Just roll around in a T3 pedding your stets like most other boobs in tanks.

MajorVom #44 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 04:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24156 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM

View PostMamas_Calvin, on Aug 15 2017 - 02:29, said:

So what do you think your ideal metric would be weighted towards? Distance traveled? Bounced shots? Average trees knocked down? Please enlighten us as to where WN8 is incorrectly representing your greatness.

Getting on cap. Spotting. Waiting for the other flank to advance. Finishing low health tanks. Tracking them in the open. Distracting the enemy. Those are all ways to win that aren't well represented by WN8, which merely fetishizes meaningless damage. It's nonsense to claim that a purple is better than a blue, it's just not true. Doing more damage does not necessarily indicate skill. Mere winrate is a far better indicator of skill, and could be improved if platoon padding was eliminated. If you can't think of these things for yourself, without me to guide you, then you really aren't very creative.

I'm sure you think you are way better than me, since you wn8 is sooo much higher. Yet, my wn8 in the IS3 is actually hundreds of points higher than you. My wn8 in the JpzE100 is also higher than you. Hmm, maybe wn8 isn't actually that meaningful after all. I know you think you are a 'pro', and I'm an amateur, but an amateur baseball/soccer/chess player would never outperform a true pro. So you might be better, but not by as much as wn8's distorted scale indicates.

Edited by MajorVom, Aug 15 2017 - 04:21.

_Tsavo #45 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 13:31

Major

• Players
  • 36859 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

WN8 has always been incredibly flaky when it comes to comparing one player to another.  It's pretty good comparing yourself to yourself from 30 days ago and so on.  Beyond that, there's been so many tank adjustments and buffs/nerfs/tier changes that WN8 is pretty garbo nowadays.  

WN8 is just a ballpark estimate of the ability of any other player, which is missed by so many.  

Take a look at average tier, win rate, PR, average experience, and WN8.  You'll find a much clearer picture taking them all in.

Deathstar_Commander #46 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 13:42

Major

• Players
  • 45988 battles
  • [YODA] YODA
We've had wn8 boosters from the beginning. Called gold shells.

Mamas_Calvin #47 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 13:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40369 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostMajorVom, on Aug 14 2017 - 22:10, said:

Mere winrate is a far better indicator of skill, and could be improved if platoon padding was eliminated. If you can't think of these things for yourself, without me to guide you, then you really aren't very creative.

I'm sure you think you are way better than me, since you wn8 is sooo much higher.

I didn't bring up our respective stats in any way. Insecure much? There are no "Pros" in WoT. I'm just a Dad who likes Pixel tanks.

The whole goal of the guys who originally put together WN8 was to create a metric that most closely correlated to WR.

To quote the WN8 wiki "

The Major Assumption of WN8

WN8 makes a major assumption that is not shared with any previous rating system. We set expectation for mean performance players, based on their ability to influence the games played. This is a tricky concept, and one certainly open to debate. But basically, we hazard that there is an amount of output (dmg/frag/spot/def) that influences the outcome of the game (in terms of win-rate), but that there exists a baseline below which the output does not influence the outcome of the game regularly enough to be determinable."

In the pursuit of this they tested a large database of accounts to determine how each and every statistical variable correlated to WR. Cap points were found not to be highly correlated to WR, while defense points were. The first few years of WoT had no ability to poll spotting dmg, so they found that spots themselves could be as useful of a corollary of WR and wrote them into the equation. The resulting formula used Dmg, Kills, Spots, and Defense as the main factors with WR per tank thrown in to account for the small variables that cannot be statistically recorded, like flexing well. Their formula is in no way perfect. No metric can be. It does, however, correlate closely to WR, as designed, for a vast majority of players. This correlation is shown in the WN8 WR chart.

I will use us both as examples, since you want to.

You  Overall:    1314  WN8          52.87 WR

Recent     1792   WN8         59.64  WR

With the exception of your recent WR, these fit very well into the scale. I don't know how much platooning you do, but as a recruitment officer, I would guess you do quite a bit, which tends to raise WR a bit and depress WN8 a bit due to more shared damage.     

Me  Overall     3308 WN8          63.78  WR

Recent     3340 WN8          62.34  WR

I am a bit more of an outlier, which wonks things out a bit, but it still fits reasonably well into the scale. I play 99.999999% solo and almost exclusively in snipey vision tanks. This tends to exaggerate my WN8 while depressing my WR.

As a recruitment officer, you should feel more able to rely on a tool like WN8 for what it is and to reinforce that opinion with analysis of your own. In my case, you clearly don't want me for my JGPZe100 abilities, or my IS3 padding. However, if you see me in a match with you driving a snipey tank, it will probably be more helpful towards a win than most people.

Your aggressively misinformed vitriol against WN8 really just shows off your insecurity about your earlier stats, which are not bad in the scheme of things. Sit quietly with some coffee and read more about it. http://wiki.wneffici....net/pages/WN8 

Note that they have changed from per-tank to per-tier/class because they understandably don't want to be constantly updating the expected values charts. I don't blame them a bit given how much people whine on the interwebz.

ArmorStorm #48 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 15:47

Major

• Players
  • 32830 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostMister_Paul, on Aug 13 2017 - 13:05, said:

Good afternoon,

On a rudimentary level, WN8 is one of several metrics that determine one's skill level compared to the rest of the population. If you are interested in learning about the many metrics in this game, here is a link:

http://wotlabs.net/articles/wn8-good-bad-padding/

On the surface, WN8 boosters sound like an intriguing idea. It has become an ubiquitous metric for acceptance into almost any clan, including VILIN. It is also how many players will judge you in random battles, so of course one would strive to improve their rating.

I know how difficult it is to improve one's WN8. Depending on one's number of battles played, the tanks they play in, and their damage in every match, WN8 increases or decreases. However, there are a few problems with the introduction of WN8 boosters.

1. WN8 is a player-made metric. While it has been in the game for a while, Wargaming and its affiliates are not the creators of this metric. As such, there is no incentive on their part to create WN8 boosters.

2. WN8 was designed (much like WN7) to be a reliable way for others to gauge another player's skill level. It is a metric. I am not arguing that this metric cannot be abused, or that it is perfect, but WN8 boosters defeat the point of an otherwise (semi-reliable) measurement of others skill level. This brings me to my last problem:

3. WN8 would be destroyed. WN8 boosters will create WN8 saturation. The metric for what a blue player or unicum (2450+ WN8 player) should be will simply increase. What good will your WN8 boosters do if unicum level becomes something like 4000 WN8, and super unicum 4900+ (These values are made up). Yes, your WN8 would increase, but the level for each player skill (red, yellow, green, blue, etc) will simply adjust. These values might mean less to others in the future. This is why many clans, such as VILIN require evaluations to prove that each player is competent. 

In the end, the value of WN8, much like currency would simply be worth less, plus WN8 is not a perfect or a Wargaming created measurement and such, are unwilling to create boosters for WN8. Here is additional reading on what WN8 is and its purpose:

http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN8

All the best.

I hope to god that you are trolling him...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users