World of Tanks PC Americas Server Merge FAQ

• Please log in to reply
1505 replies to this topic

Quemapueblos #301 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:27

Associate Producer

• -Players-
  • 8703 battles

OP updated with some new questions and answers

What can you tell us about the new hardware?
The new server does not use our current server hardware (see below for what is happening with the existing East and West servers). It’s a brand new networking setup that should increase connection stability.

Will we return to East/West servers if this doesn't work?
While NA East and NA West will not be available to choose on Wednesday, we are not taking them offline yet. They are remaining online as our backup plan in case of emergency. If at any point during the process the NA Central server becomes completely unstable, we have the option to switch back to the existing two servers until we can fix the issue. Our goal is to maintain as much uptime and quality play as possible on NA Central, so we will carefully monitor performance. We don’t want to leave you hanging or dealing with extended outages, so every effort is made to keep our downtime as short as possible in the coming weeks.

Will accounts be transferred or duplicated to another server?
We will share more information soon on our transfer programs, but all transfers will be one-way to the destination and no account duplication. Your entire account will be moved as part of the transfer and this is a one way ticket. You may only return to North American servers through starting an entirely new account.
Right now our focus is on our players who are closer to a regional server that they are currently not playing on.  For example players in Australia or New Zealand, they may want to transfer to the APAC server. Or players who live in EU countries, they might want to join the much closer EU server.

How will tanks that are not available on other servers be handled?
This will be dealt with on a case by case basis and we will make every effort to produce the an exact copy of your account details in the new server location. We will provide appropriate compensation if there is not an exact match for a tank.

Will there be any compensation for the server merge or for filling out the survey?
First of all, we really are appreciative of the time players take to send us logs, we know it’s extra work but it’s a big help! So we will be giving any player who fills in our survey a free Day of Premium, three 100% 2hr Crew XP and 100% 2hr Free XP Boosters to thank you for helping us monitor the server merge.
And of course if there is any significant downtime we will offer all players additional compensation as per our usual policies. 

Will players need to download a patch or will they need to do anything specific to change to the new server?
We will patch on August 16th to update your client with the new Americas central server address to connect to. At the same time we will make the NA East and NA West options unavailable for now so all players will join just one server.

Will the Global Map be shut down for any duration due to the server merge?
The Clan Wars Global Map will be frozen on August 16 while server is merged.  The freeze may last longer if server issues persist and we will keep you up to date in the forum section as well.

Will this impact other games?
No, this server merge will only impact World of Tanks PC

Why did we choose Chicago?
Our server operations teams evaluated many locations in NA and did months of testing server response times, regional infrastructure, and performed simulations on all parts of the region. In the end, we were most satisfied with the performance of this location, and believe it be the best option to centralize an single Americas server.

RedAlert2010 #302 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20526 battles
  • [CYNIC] CYNIC

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 15 2017 - 23:27, said:

We will share more information soon on our transfer programs, but all transfers will be one-way to the destination and no account duplication. Your entire account will be moved as part of the transfer and this is a one way ticket. You may only return to North American servers through starting an entirely new account.
Right now our focus is on our players who are closer to a regional server that they are currently not playing on.  For example players in Australia or New Zealand, they may want to transfer to the APAC server. Or players who live in EU countries, they might want to join the much closer EU server.

When will this begin? As i want to be on EU with this account asap. Any time frame for this?

Cornish_Pirate #303 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39245 battles

Sign me up buttercup

Krautjaeger #304 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:54

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3061 battles
  • [K00KS] K00KS

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 16 2017 - 00:27, said:

Will we return to East/West servers if this doesn't work?
While NA East and NA West will not be available to choose on Wednesday, we are not taking them offline yet. They are remaining online as our backup plan in case of emergency. If at any point during the process the NA Central server becomes completely unstable, we have the option to switch back to the existing two servers until we can fix the issue. Our goal is to maintain as much uptime and quality play as possible on NA Central, so we will carefully monitor performance. We don’t want to leave you hanging or dealing with extended outages, so every effort is made to keep our downtime as short as possible in the coming weeks.

Thank you for answering this, it's important to know and the responsible thing to do. +1

Cornish_Pirate #305 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39245 battles

This means i can finally use the code i got from tankfest, after 30k games i will finally play the black prince then sell it because i dont have anything under t6 anymore

Krautjaeger #306 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3061 battles
  • [K00KS] K00KS

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 16 2017 - 00:27, said:

One thing about this one, there are quite a few people from Europe that has an account there already but for their reasons came over to NA and made one here as well and for more than some both those accounts are well developed. If this server change makes it too difficult for them to play on NA, how will you handle that? Will all their NA assents be translated to silver credits for regular tanks, gold for premiums, free XP or something for crew and so on then added to their existing EU account?

Tuff1973 #307 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7057 battles

When I downloaded 191.1 My ping and lag got so bad, I couldn't even play the game. Ping is at 127 east, 173 west. That not a fix.

Tuff1973 #308 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7057 battles

Put it back the way it was.

NeroGermanicus #309 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 53442 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
I for one like this, being only 130 miles or so from Chicago. :)

Mr_Diesel #310 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 14668 battles

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 14 2017 - 20:35, said:

NEW ANSWERS IN RED

Updated: 8/15/2017 4pm PT

Can I have an assurance that I will not have my account moved to APAC server as I of play East coast US if not West coast, as it is physically impossible to have a better connection to APAC than to NA servers when I am in New Zealand. I find upsetting when I get the message I would be better off being on APAC server. ( Which I find impossible to comprehend ) 

I want to stay on NA no matter what. 

kihew #311 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8473 battles

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 15 2017 - 02:26, said:

There will be a small patch to redirect your client to the correct server but you don't need to do anything special, just open the launcher and patch like normal.

Thanks the reply is much appreciated!  Having lived through system conversions and mergers at work, I suspect that most players will see improvement.  If I understand the process, this involves a major capital expenditure, and exercise not taken lightly.  Thus given the attention being given to the game on a regular basis to improve it, I expect that the WOT team has spent a great deal of effort to ensure that this is the right choice and that it goes off without a hitch.    Notwithstanding all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the player community,  I assume that most of us will find that the world both in real space and cyber space will go on much as before.  Thanks for keeping us informed and for improving the game.

Craig234 #312 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:58

Captain

• Players
  • 48701 battles
For an FAQ, where is the answer to why it's being done and who if anyone will see a performance decrease because of this?

Avalon304 #313 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:15

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostMr_Diesel, on Aug 15 2017 - 17:47, said:

Can I have an assurance that I will not have my account moved to APAC server as I of play East coast US if not West coast, as it is physically impossible to have a better connection to APAC than to NA servers when I am in New Zealand. I find upsetting when I get the message I would be better off being on APAC server. ( Which I find impossible to comprehend ) 

I want to stay on NA no matter what. 

Id imagine that server transfers are a voluntary process. As in if you want to move you submit a ticket to support and then they work it out. It also sounds like anyone who lives in the Americas doesnt get a way out, which is how it should be.

Nkrlz #314 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 17318 battles
If the IP that has been floating around here is correct i would only get an increase of 4ms, a "sacrifice" i'm willing to make to have higher server populations.

Slim_Shadee #315 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6476 battles
  • [USAA] USAA

View PostAvalon304, on Aug 16 2017 - 01:15, said:

. It also sounds like anyone who lives in the Americas doesnt get a way out, which is how it should be.

I dont think ithis is true but if you choose to take a EU transfer you had better be happy you wont get to move back.

Avalon304 #316 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:35

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View PostSlim_Shadee, on Aug 15 2017 - 18:24, said:

I dont think ithis is true but if you choose to take a EU transfer you had better be happy you wont get to move back.

Literally as part of the answer on account transfers:

"Right now our focus is on our players who are closer to a regional server that they are currently not playing on.  For example players in Australia or New Zealand, they may want to transfer to the APAC server. Or players who live in EU countries, they might want to join the much closer EU server."

power_Donky #317 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:42

Major

• Players
  • 25977 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
What if I play on NA but I want to play on EU instead because NA is dying?

Avalon304 #318 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:47

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postpower_Donky, on Aug 15 2017 - 18:42, said:

What if I play on NA but I want to play on EU instead because NA is dying?

Do you live closer to either EU or SEA? Then probably not.

EDIT: NA isnt dying though... (unless you want to make it a self fulfilling prophecy).

The only server transfers that should be allowed are for those who live in other regions (EU/RU/SEA), but play on NA.

Edited by Avalon304, Aug 16 2017 - 02:49.

sixgun #319 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 58149 battles
  • [FC-SV] FC-SV
I am concerned that my ping will increase due to the greater distance. I use the west server as my ping is higher on east sever. I don't want downgraded service. I live west coast.

Avalon304 #320 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:59

Major

• Players
  • 23642 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postsixgun, on Aug 15 2017 - 18:52, said:

I am concerned that my ping will increase due to the greater distance. I use the west server as my ping is higher on east sever. I don't want downgraded service. I live west coast.

You are probably going to see a 20ms ping increase. Which will likely not affect you at all, unless youre somehow playing with a 200ms+ ping from the west coast. As long as your ping is stable it'll be fine. Packet loss is the real issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users