World of Tanks PC Americas Server Merge FAQ

• Please log in to reply
1051 replies to this topic

Mudman24 #41 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:40

Major

• Players
  • 36283 battles

View Postriff_, on Aug 14 2017 - 16:38, said:

It matters because if we were not asking about where it is going to be, we would be asking other questions.  Questions WG does not want us to ask. :hiding:

Like how the eff does a sever transfer work when not all tanks are available on all severs? 

Avalon304 #42 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:44

Major

• Players
  • 17151 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View Postgpc_4, on Aug 14 2017 - 15:33, said:

Does the location really matter? It's all just a series of tubes anyway.

Seriously though, I don't know the current location of NA West or NA East, but play on East because it is always busier.

Yes it actually matters The location of east and the routing to the server which will play a large role in the packet loss experienced by players. 

Luciano_Bradley #43 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 64805 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View Postgpc_4, on Aug 14 2017 - 23:33, said:

Does the location really matter? It's all just a series of tubes anyway.

Seriously though, I don't know the current location of NA West or NA East, but play on East because it is always busier.

Finally, if there will be only one server does it need to be called NA Central? How about just NA? Or, since South and Central America are also involved...America ('Murica).

Location does matter, I get 30ms West and 110ms East

Server merges traditionally are a bad sign.  

ImABadTealREEEE #44 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8573 battles
  • [-PP-] -PP-
Ump pst time is not good for me i need it in EAST coast since EAST coast is best coast ump thank and this is a bad idea

black_colt #45 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 14 2017 - 12:35, said:

Hello Tankers,

We know you have a ton of questions about the Server Merge Questions and below are answers to some of ones we've seen since last week.

Please let us know what additional questions you have about the server merge and we will gather them daily to send off to the team for further explanation. Their responses will be posted in this thread.

There will also be a survey once the servers merge is live to help us optimize and check for issues. The link will be added to this post when it's live.

Why are we doing this merge, what is the benefit for players?

The goal for merging our servers into the new NA Central location is to improve our matchmaking times for all players by having them join a single queue. This also will help to combine all eligible players for special modes like Ranked Battles, Clan activities, and the upcoming Grand Battles (30v30), 9.20 Update, which includes huge balance changes, great new modes, and a new tank line, and more.

When will the server merge occur?

Servers will go down on 8/16/2017 at 2:00am PT and are planned to go live at 3:15am PT 8/16/2017

Will this specifically fix the server lag? If not, when is the server lag fix?

The current plan is to finish the server merge, and focus on stabilizing the regional connections that are going to be impacted by this shift in location. Our server operations team is working daily to optimize our network connections, and improve routing by working with our partners such as Level3, Telia, and Comcast. Engineers will be monitoring performance for the entire region, including North and South America. Server lag has been an ongoing issue we will work to resolve as we focus on NA Central stability. There is no ETA for this to be 100% fixed, but we’re committed to improving the situation for users who have lag and freezing issues.

When will the server lag get better?

We will post frequent updates in this thread. For the next week we will post daily, and any time emergencies or big changes arise. To help us debug issues on an personal level, you can click the survey link below (that will be live once the merge) for complete instructions on how to send us logs and information about your situation. The more info we can gather, the faster we can stabilize the server! We will keep you posted here each week with a report from our development team about progress. Check back here to read updates, and ask questions in our dedicated forum.

Why is my ping worse?

When we move the server, the networking connections across NA will be updated. At first you may see higher ping inside the game client.  But our priority is optimizing the connections and minimizing any packet loss. Players may see higher ping values in-game, but if there is a stable connection, your gameplay experience should not be degraded. We know that merge issues won’t resolve overnight, but were committed to monitoring and optimizing for as long as it takes. Stay tuned for updates in this section, and specifically this thread.

How will this affect LATAM players?

For any player, there is the potential to have a slower connection based on their distance and routing to our servers. We will be optimizing our connections to all locations, and its very important to provide a playable experience to players on the NA server. The best thing any player can do is fill out our survey that will be available after the server merge if they are having difficulty with connection or gameplay quality. This includes tankers from Latin America!

[Survey Link Incoming When Server Is Live]

Can I transfer servers if my ping gets worse?

We are working on a customer support plan to allow users to transfer servers. More information to follow shortly on this topic, and we will update this thread with links and details this week.

Thank you for keeping the Community informed.

Stating that you are working to improve routing by working with our partners such as Level3, Telia, and Comcast is great news - looking forward to seeing less and less packet loss with my provider - Comcast.  Hopefully the relocation will not result in a much higher ping as I am located just south of the current NA West server ...

I look forward to more posts detailing Wargaming's plans in the future as it very helpful in getting the correct information directly from Wargaming versus speculation from the Community.

Please start a new Post when the Survey Link is live so we do not miss it.

Edited by black_colt, Aug 15 2017 - 00:00.

The_Toastmaster_General #46 Posted Aug 14 2017 - 23:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16687 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostQuemapueblos, on Aug 14 2017 - 12:35, said:

Hello Tankers,

We know you have a ton of questions about the Server Merge Questions and below are answers to some of ones we've seen since last week.

Please let us know what additional questions you have about the server merge and we will gather them daily to send off to the team for further explanation. Their responses will be posted in this thread.

There will also be a survey once the servers merge is live to help us optimize and check for issues. The link will be added to this post when it's live.

Why are we doing this merge, what is the benefit for players?

The goal for merging our servers into the new NA Central location is to improve our matchmaking times for all players by having them join a single queue. This also will help to combine all eligible players for special modes like Ranked Battles, Clan activities, and the upcoming Grand Battles (30v30), 9.20 Update, which includes huge balance changes, great new modes, and a new tank line, and more.

When will the server merge occur?

Servers will go down on 8/16/2017 at 2:00am PT and are planned to go live at 3:15am PT 8/16/2017

Will this specifically fix the server lag? If not, when is the server lag fix?

The current plan is to finish the server merge, and focus on stabilizing the regional connections that are going to be impacted by this shift in location. Our server operations team is working daily to optimize our network connections, and improve routing by working with our partners such as Level3, Telia, and Comcast. Engineers will be monitoring performance for the entire region, including North and South America. Server lag has been an ongoing issue we will work to resolve as we focus on NA Central stability. There is no ETA for this to be 100% fixed, but we’re committed to improving the situation for users who have lag and freezing issues.

When will the server lag get better?

We will post frequent updates in this thread. For the next week we will post daily, and any time emergencies or big changes arise. To help us debug issues on an personal level, you can click the survey link below (that will be live once the merge) for complete instructions on how to send us logs and information about your situation. The more info we can gather, the faster we can stabilize the server! We will keep you posted here each week with a report from our development team about progress. Check back here to read updates, and ask questions in our dedicated forum.

Why is my ping worse?

When we move the server, the networking connections across NA will be updated. At first you may see higher ping inside the game client.  But our priority is optimizing the connections and minimizing any packet loss. Players may see higher ping values in-game, but if there is a stable connection, your gameplay experience should not be degraded. We know that merge issues won’t resolve overnight, but were committed to monitoring and optimizing for as long as it takes. Stay tuned for updates in this section, and specifically this thread.

How will this affect LATAM players?

For any player, there is the potential to have a slower connection based on their distance and routing to our servers. We will be optimizing our connections to all locations, and its very important to provide a playable experience to players on the NA server. The best thing any player can do is fill out our survey that will be available after the server merge if they are having difficulty with connection or gameplay quality. This includes tankers from Latin America!

[Survey Link Incoming When Server Is Live]

We are working on a customer support plan to allow users to transfer servers. More information to follow shortly on this topic, and we will update this thread with links and details this week.

Where will the new central server be located geographically?

A_bot__ #47 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:02

Private

• -Players-
  • 24189 battles

"We are working on a customer support plan to allow users to transfer servers. More information to follow shortly on this topic, and we will update this thread with links and details this week."

I would really love to transfer servers. It really isn't fun having bad mm and long queue times, specifically speaking to playing tier 8s where you get into tier 10 games 10 to 20 times in a row. I wish I was exaggerating this but this is true. 

signature.png

Edited by A_bot__, Aug 15 2017 - 00:10.

Crazy___Canuck #48 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19466 battles
  • [GUNS4] GUNS4
Get new central US server location (west and east both suck - at least for me in west central Canada), and get rid of Telia.......please!  :amazed:

DeathDealer627 #49 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:08

Private

• -Players-
  • 14207 battles
  • [WANKO] WANKO
I think this will be a good change. Instead of having 10k per server, we get 20k or more. Whether that improves matchmaker in terms of tiers we'll have to see, but it should improve queue times indefinitely. I'm sure it will help with ping differences in terms of CW. Too many times I've grunted about playing on the west server with 150+ ping. Now, at least speculating, will be a universal ping of between 50-90? I'm confident in wargaming's plan, and I'm sure it will turn out fine. Just remember to give constructive feedback so they can fix issues accurately, and quickly.

bockscar43 #50 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25664 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
Don't care if wots puts the server on Mar's, just as long as it works properly. Cause wots track record of success is questionable, hope for success and prepare for the worst.

rich73 #51 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:12

Major

• Players
  • 44808 battles
Chicago isnt central..Look at the friggen map for gods sake....they finally make a good decision and now here we go back to W G's old ways.....sigh

Howie_Eye #52 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39336 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU

Right now there are almost 15k users on the EAST. vs 5k on the West.... seems like this is NOT a good idea as you will be pissing off the majority of you base. Why would you alienate the Majority?

answer... To Save money..... no other reason. and yet tanks are still cheaper dollar for dollar on the EU

Lets not kid ourselves shall we

dogneely #53 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 10113 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN
In other words, they finally realized the game is dieing, and there are no longer enough players to fill two servers.

tod914 #54 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:19

Major

• Players
  • 51219 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS
Well if the spikes and packet loss aren't resolved, a transfer to the EU server sounds like a viable solution.  I suspect all the $hit rng issues are directly attributed to the packet loss.  I do not experience that problem on the RU test server.  The constant missed shots and zero damage hits since 9.15 has become unbearable.  This past patch has made it exponentially worse.  I did a recent reinstall as well.  You shouldn't have to look too hard to find out as to why you are losing your long term player base. New players don't know any differently.

Edited by tod914, Aug 15 2017 - 00:20.

Howie_Eye #55 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39336 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU

View Postdogneely, on Aug 14 2017 - 18:19, said:

In other words, they finally realized the game is dieing, and there are no longer enough players to fill two servers.

Its a Great game, I love it. But I want nothing to do with that "PLAY" on the west coast sever on a daily basis. only time I go there is to beat up noobs and bad players

Edited by Howie_Eye, Aug 15 2017 - 00:23.

mrmojo #56 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:26

Captain

• Players
  • 18706 battles
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
So the lag and slide show gameplay that has been evident for a long time is not at the player end?

Give me back my premium time!!

_Corbin #57 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13671 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Thank you WG NA. It will be nice to have a larger player pool.

For those who think this is a bad thing; Optimizing one system is easier than optimizing two. This will allow us all to have a more consistent connection.

For those who think they will switch to the EU server; There are mods which allow you to change the WOT clients locale data. Try it. I suspect you will agree the switch would be unwise.

Have fun and be nice...

Sgt_Schnauzer #58 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26631 battles

View Postriff_, on Aug 14 2017 - 16:02, said:

I am not a well versed in server "stuff" so... how would the connection be for a former NA player, playing on the EU server.   Does the distance interfere with game play?  More lag?

Thanks

Actually I've noticed very few lag issues playing on teh EU server in the past. At the time I was playing I was in Northwest Arkansas. Course there is goign to be a poitn of No return, howevr I don't know exactly where lag time would become problematic.

Honestly I got good ping time going against the WWOT Russia Servers, so take that for what it is worth 

Doomslinger #59 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:30

Major

• Players
  • 62474 battles
The new central server will be located in Alaska.

GeorgePaton3stars #60 Posted Aug 15 2017 - 00:31

Private

• -Players-
  • 6170 battles
I have been lagging since saturday Agust 12, Is that because of server merging?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

OXEN_HeavyGUN