Jump to content


Disabling WEST server is called a "merge"


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

bfp4f360 #21 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:12

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15977 battles
  • 604
  • Member since:
    06-27-2012
Theres a reason the server is called North America server and not South America or Pacific server or what not,sooooooo I guess the South Americans or Australians and New Zealandian(lol idk what they are called,New Zealanders?) should wait for their own server

Edited by bfp4f360, Aug 16 2017 - 00:15.


Mikosah #22 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 17582 battles
  • 4,034
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013

View Postchurchill50, on Aug 15 2017 - 15:31, said:

One problem. They're not just disabling the West server, they're also disabling the East server. Then, they are adding a new server in Chicago. While this will result in slightly (and I must emphasize SLIGHTLY) higher pings for people on both coasts, it will result in a higher population, which should result in better mm for everyone.

 

The irony is that at on NA east queue times were never a significant problem. 30 seconds, tops. I don't have any memories of west being any different either. As for how well MM performs, that depends on how frequently it uses different tier templates when it has a larger number of players to work with. From the perspective of the typical pub player, there's just one simple formula that WG ought to pay attention to: bottom tier = ebola. Therefore the more frequently they can arrange +/-1 and same-tier MM, the better the system works for both WG and the players alike. 



Fulcrous_really_heckin #23 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:16

    Major

  • WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31403 battles
  • 4,337
  • [SUX] SUX
  • Member since:
    07-27-2012

View PostAdalbertt, on Aug 15 2017 - 13:38, said:

It does not change my point, one server less. Running one server costs less than two, so it is nothing more than cutting costs. SA, Aus and NZ players will have worse experience.

 

At worst, SA/AUS/NZ players will experience 50-70 more ping... seeing as my Western 120 ping to East is cut down to 50 according to pingplotter.

Honestly it isn't a big deal. If people are used to playing at high ping, a little more won't be too much.



RoIito #24 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:17

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 12650 battles
  • 611
  • [TNKGG] TNKGG
  • Member since:
    12-23-2016

View Postbfp4f360, on Aug 16 2017 - 00:12, said:

Theres a reason the server is called North America server and not South America or Pacific server or what not,sooooooo I guess the South Americans or Australians and New Zealandian(lol idk what they are called,New Zealanders?) should wait for their own server

 

LATAM players will keep playing in the central server, anyways you have to care about brazilians, not LATAM players.

djb_95 #25 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 00:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 88805 battles
  • 3,196
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU
  • Member since:
    02-24-2012

View PostPelhamBlue, on Aug 15 2017 - 15:50, said:

Yes, we LATAM players will have 10ms worse experience. There are so many things I can do in those 10ms! Like, blinking... no, that takes longer.

No one, no matter what they'll say, is going to even notice the change. 20, 30ms isn't even noticeable for a human.

 

20 or 30 ms is not really noticeable ONE time.

Unfortunately in a FPS game like this, 20-30 ms time slower for EVERY SINGLE PACKET is HUGE.

If you break even on 'peek-a-boom' situations now, if your ping goes up 30 ms, you will LOSE almost all of them.  You will have to adjust your gameplay completely.  And not in a good way.

There are a LOT of unicums who live within a couple hundred miles of Washington DC who will suddenly see their stats and win rates begin to drop as their ping suddenly deteriorates by 15-30 ms.  Let the whining begin!

 



xrays_ #26 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 49112 battles
  • 3,899
  • [FELOW] FELOW
  • Member since:
    08-02-2013

View Postdjb_95, on Aug 15 2017 - 18:27, said:

If you break even on 'peek-a-boom' situations now, if your ping goes up 30 ms, you will LOSE almost all of them.  You will have to adjust your gameplay completely.  And not in a good way. There are a LOT of unicums who live within a couple hundred miles of Washington DC who will suddenly see their stats and win rates begin to drop as their ping suddenly deteriorates by 15-30 ms.

 

The things you say suggest you must be Jon Snow?

 

These same "unicums" you talk about have played at their same levels regardless of which server (East/West) they play on.

So, tell me again how a very slight ping increase will start making people lose more?

And where are your references for how many live near Washington, DC?

 

I believe there will be a point when this forum finally kills itself due to all the stupidity it has witnessed over the years.

 

x.



sweetcheeseandcrackers #27 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 11:38

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 20030 battles
  • 301
  • Member since:
    01-03-2013
They might be merging in order to fix the chat problem.

yruputin #28 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 12:45

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 24226 battles
  • 183
  • [A_P] A_P
  • Member since:
    03-08-2016

View Postchurchill50, on Aug 15 2017 - 22:31, said:

One problem. They're not just disabling the West server, they're also disabling the East server. Then, they are adding a new server in Chicago. While this will result in slightly (and I must emphasize SLIGHTLY) higher pings for people on both coasts, it will result in a higher population, which should result in better mm for everyone.

 

​You say slightly higher. I am seeing more than a slight difference. Thank you.

FeelMy_APCR #29 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 12:54

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 31278 battles
  • 868
  • [WONKA] WONKA
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View Postdjb_95, on Aug 16 2017 - 02:27, said:

 

20 or 30 ms is not really noticeable ONE time.

Unfortunately in a FPS game like this, 20-30 ms time slower for EVERY SINGLE PACKET is HUGE.

If you break even on 'peek-a-boom' situations now, if your ping goes up 30 ms, you will LOSE almost all of them.  You will have to adjust your gameplay completely.  And not in a good way.

There are a LOT of unicums who live within a couple hundred miles of Washington DC who will suddenly see their stats and win rates begin to drop as their ping suddenly deteriorates by 15-30 ms.  Let the whining begin!

 

You do realize I will still own you in a match with a ping of 200+? Even if you'd have 20.

 

Because in the end, it's not about ping.



PelhamBlue #30 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 13:07

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 11088 battles
  • 379
  • Member since:
    01-18-2016
I have to admit, it happens every now and then that I'm about to finish off some guy, and I swear I press the mouse button before the other guy, just to see that I exploded and my shot never fired. That is because of the ping difference.
But the question in those cases is "why was I at such low HP?". For most of those situations, I find that I made several mistakes that lead me to it, taking too many risks and ending up being a one shot for someone else. So yes, high ping makes a difference, but nowhere near as making poor choices and playing just bad.
I'd play the same and would have the same wn8 and all that cr@p with 200 or 15ms.

Yankee #31 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 13:12

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 36411 battles
  • 9,936
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    08-02-2010
But... uh...  it is a merge




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users