G. W. Panther SPG: Has There Been a Nerf?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MichiganMike #1 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 03:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 31000 battles
  • [SHDWZ] SHDWZ

I play several SPGs, including the G. W. Panther. It was once one of my best guns: accurate, hard hitting, yielding good damage. I had just over a 50% win rate in it. Now my M44, Grille and even the SU 8 produce better results. And the SU 8 crew is just a bunch of peasant boys, fresh off the steppes!

Now, the win rate is down to 48%. I haven't had a good game in in for several weeks. I miss shots I once made. It has a good crew. Every member is +100%. The entire crew has Band of Brothers at 100%. And each crew member is 50% or higher on his second skill or perk. 

It's the same crew, same gun, same me. I am beginning to think that the management has fiddled with MM or RNG.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this SPG?

MichiganMike

LeaveIT2Beaver #2 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 28284 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

"YES .. let's Hope !"

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Aug 16 2017 - 04:07.

JavaJunkie8b #3 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 18601 battles
  • [MUNIN] MUNIN
With the new arty changes all the lower caliber arty got hit the hardest since they don't have the sheer alpha to make up for the reduced pen on all HE shells.   To make up for this the guns were made more accurate so on an already accurate arty maybe the only significant changes you noticed was the reduced damage per shot on average.

stalkervision #4 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:36

Major

• Players
  • 51231 battles
gw seems to have had a hidden nerf

Dirizon #5 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:49

Major

• Players
  • 26145 battles

GW panther has been nerfed 3 historic times.

1)  ln the artillery accuracy re-work, where really all other artys got the nerf too.

2) ln the German tech tree shuffle, GW Panther received some nerfs.

3) ln 9.18 as with other artys GW Panther choked on some nerfs again.

GW Panther was a very strong arty. Like the strong grille and hummel before it, which in turn has made them bait step-up for nerfs too. Grille, Hummel, GW panther have always been on the receiving end of nerfs. 

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #6 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:51

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

Ever since 9.18 the G.W. Panther has been better than post 8.6 nerfs, but maybe not quite pre-8.6 levels...

[Indicates pre-9.18 numbers] 

- 0.58 dispersion [0.66 dispersion]

- 21 second reload [29 second reload]

- 4.3 aim time [5.93 aim time] 

It has received the damage and pen nerfs just like every other arty (except the premium ones), but the G.W. Panther wasn't known to be hard hitting, it was known to be accurate and have good RoF, so it's most important attributes have been buffed...

The reason you are losing is that the class as a whole has lost some of it's carry potential, so in order to do really well for your win rate you need to be hitting tanks your team is readily attacking, in other words, support your team. However this can be tricky if you get a team that cannot successfully make a push, or hold a defensive position...

Edited by Demonic_Angel_of_Death, Aug 16 2017 - 04:56.

Themutt36 #7 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 05:45

Captain

• Players
  • 20459 battles
  • [DV] DV

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Aug 15 2017 - 22:51, said:

Ever since 9.18 the G.W. Panther has been better than post 8.6 nerfs, but maybe not quite pre-8.6 levels...

It has received the damage and pen nerfs just like every other arty (except the premium ones), but the G.W. Panther wasn't known to be hard hitting, it was known to be accurate and have good RoF, so it's most important attributes have been buffed...

The reason you are losing is that the class as a whole has lost some of it's carry potential, so in order to do really well for your win rate you need to be hitting tanks your team is readily attacking, in other words, support your team. However this can be tricky if you get a team that cannot successfully make a push, or hold a defensive position...

This

Dirizon #8 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 11:35

Major

• Players
  • 26145 battles

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Aug 15 2017 - 23:21, said:

View PostThemutt36, on Aug 16 2017 - 00:15, said:

This

Not this.

GW panther was a hard hitting artillery before. Not  -AS- hard hitting as say M12 or S51,  but miles ahead of Lorr 5O and Crusader.  GW panther accuracy, also allowed it to use the 25Omm HEAT, which was reduced to 24Omm HEAT, decently enough. Like how people used HEAT out of Grille or M44. And GW panther unique HEAT ammo did tremendous damage too. Something M12 didn't have, and S51 couldn't afford to use because of low ammo cap and poor marksmanship. And if it didn't, the normal HE power was still great for tier Vll, not much weaker than a Bat Chat SPGs shells. 

Although arty was nerfed in damage across the board, GW Panther was nerfed much more than other T Vll SPGs. Crusader and Lorr 5O took way less penalty. Arty is generally not a DPM class, and l guess that was the idea behind the new GW Panther. to be a DPM arty. l basically wouldn't play any lower tier arty, except maybe T Vs SU122A,  or S51 now. SU122A seems great still because it can actually one-shot alot of Tiers 4-6 still, and really only has to avoid AT15A, Tiger P, or the .oni.  GW panther though? Not unless you want to hear we didn't penetrate their armour every fifth shot you take on an 0H0 or KV4 or VKO1P.  

V_A_C_A #9 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 13:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 18231 battles
  • [BREJO] BREJO

View PostDirizon, on Aug 16 2017 - 07:35, said:

Although arty was nerfed in damage across the board, GW Panther was nerfed much more than other T Vll SPGs. Crusader and Lorr 5O took way less penalty. Arty is generally not a DPM class, and l guess that was the idea behind the new GW Panther. to be a DPM arty. l basically wouldn't play any lower tier arty, except maybe T Vs SU122A,  or S51 now. SU122A seems great still because it can actually one-shot alot of Tiers 4-6 still, and really only has to avoid AT15A, Tiger P, or the .oni.  GW panther though? Not unless you want to hear we didn't penetrate their armour every fifth shot you take on an 0H0 or KV4 or VKO1P.  

I keep playing the GW Panther, and the only nerf (at least for me) is the alpha damage of the Patch 9.18.
The SU-122A was a real pain before the Patch 9.18, but now it became a little better (but just a little), with lower reload and aiming time, and with a really tiny better accuracy than before.
The french arty tech tree was my last one to grind, and I was a bit surprised (happier) with the performance of Lorraine 155 50 and 155 51. The Lorraine 155 51 is on the 2nd position of my "best tier 8 arties" list, just after the SU-14-2 (GW Tiger P is on the last position, for sure).
One thing that I noticed is that FV207 is a "struggle" thing. I like the kind of fast reload, but the lack of alpha and the really slow mobility turns to be hard to grind over it (last weekend I've managed to get the FV3805, finally - but didn't played with it yet).

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #10 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 19:13

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

View PostDirizon, on Aug 16 2017 - 05:35, said:

Not this.

GW panther was a hard hitting artillery before. Not  -AS- hard hitting as say M12 or S51,  but miles ahead of Lorr 5O and Crusader.  GW panther accuracy, also allowed it to use the 25Omm HEAT, which was reduced to 24Omm HEAT, decently enough. Like how people used HEAT out of Grille or M44. And GW panther unique HEAT ammo did tremendous damage too. Something M12 didn't have, and S51 couldn't afford to use because of low ammo cap and poor marksmanship. And if it didn't, the normal HE power was still great for tier Vll, not much weaker than a Bat Chat SPGs shells. 

So you only played arty to do massive damage and one shot people, you don't like that rather than nuking someone out of the game for one shot, you have to rely on your team to take care of targets you stun, that is why you think the new arty sucks, you can't adapt to the new way the team support class works...

I never used the HEAT on the G.W. Panther because the accuracy wasn't good enough for me to risk so many credits on a miss. The arc of the arty is so low that even though it's average damage was 1200 you hit the front plate of tanks, or the side armor most of the time and not the roofs meaning you dealt around 400-600 damage a shot...

Considering I still hit heavies for 200-300 a shot now, with a faster reload and better accuracy, it is an overall buff to an SPG that was known for accuracy and DPM (For arty) over raw damage output...

Edited by Demonic_Angel_of_Death, Aug 16 2017 - 19:14.

Dirizon #11 Posted Aug 17 2017 - 01:49

Major

• Players
  • 26145 battles

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Aug 16 2017 - 13:43, said:

So you only played arty to do massive damage and one shot people, you don't like that rather than nuking someone out of the game for one shot, you have to rely on your team to take care of targets you stun, that is why you think the new arty sucks, you can't adapt to the new way the team support class works...

I never used the HEAT on the G.W. Panther because the accuracy wasn't good enough for me to risk so many credits on a miss. The arc of the arty is so low that even though it's average damage was 1200 you hit the front plate of tanks, or the side armor most of the time and not the roofs meaning you dealt around 400-600 damage a shot...

Considering I still hit heavies for 200-300 a shot now, with a faster reload and better accuracy, it is an overall buff to an SPG that was known for accuracy and DPM (For arty) over raw damage output...

No. l don't play arty, first of all. 0f the 26K battles l have, 3K are artillery. That is just 11.5%. 0ut of those 3K, 65O games are Sturm Pz, SU5, Grille ....to which l did way back in 2O11 when l took up the game. As that stands, the lowly Sturm Pz still tops out my arty, played 6 years ago. By 2O12-13, l would have finished Lorr L39, M37, M41, Hummel, AM 1O.5, SU8, GW Panther, SU14  --  which my favourite were Grille and GW Panther, only ones l kept. Grille l sold after the tier up nerf.  So, recent additions would be anything l've played 14-15' which include M12, Lorr 5O, FV2O7, SU122A, while l'd play GW Panther occasionally. l purchased SU122A because of its ridiculousness, and purchased M4O/M43 but it just sits in my garage, never play it. Not 1 game yet. 0nly modern played artillery, which has taken me 15-17'  are FV38O5 and l sold FV2O7, which l decided to continue because it unlocks British Heavy Techtree Engines for free (which is 3OK EXP)  and the seldom GW P / SU122A. l've since sold my GW Panther, the only other arty l kept just after 9.18 hit, and haven't bothered buying GW Tiger or obj 212.  The only artillery in my garage are M4O/M43 which l don't play or grind further and is now a dusty Barracks-Holding Cell vehicle,  FV38O5 (l have grown attached to it despite hating it)  and SU122A which tier for tier l think is the best artillery in-the-game current.  lt does the same basic 1-shot potential as T92, GWE, Conq GC tier-by-tier, has tremendous tier V splash for stunning like them too, and yet reloads 2O% faster. 

GW P would hit heavy tanks on a nearby splash hit for two hundred before. And it was ALWAYS accurate enough to do that, if not directly hitting a tank outright. Which is four hundred, even on something like E75. Now, l'd imagine it is no different than what my WZ111 1-4 does with HE, l'd say average one hundred typical, two hundred high roll. Three hundred if you are hitting T V like PZlV or T1H. Just add-in there the stun. l used the HEAT when it was pre-HEAT nerf and 25Omm. Then the HEAT changes came, and they lowered it 1Omm to 24O, and the shells were refunded for full silver. With this change, l stocked only 2 per game, ln case l got Ensk or Himmels or Kharkov, but never found myself firing them. l could not accept, going from 1.2K to six-eighty. That is horrendous. Why didn't Crusader drop that bad. Why didn't Lorraine drop that bad. Why wasn't GWP even given M12 and Lorraine damage also. ln 9.18 public test, l was seeing youtube videos of Bat Chat 58 doing  O  damage critical hits to things like Maus and STl, with 75O damage alpha. And l have seen since 9.18 with my own eyes playing, my 38O5 doing  O  damage crits  even with nine hundred.  Why the hell would l want to keep this pile of shick. Ridiculous, so l sold it. 

Now now, you are twisting my words. l'm not a fan of the one-shot, and l'm sure you would know. l'm an advocate of arty not doing massive fatality damage, any of my posting history will show that. l've countless times described and hoped for ARTY T0 HAVE ~1Omm Pen. Tiers 2-4, can have 3-5mm Pen,  Tiers 9-X can have 11-12 Pen. Everything else inbetween according to gun size. With this in mind, arty still D0ES DAMAGE, even with prior damage counters, but never one shots anymore. Unless your tank is Hellcat or Rhm Bors or M56 Scorp,  arty would never never ever be penetrating, as an RNG high roll on 1Omm doesn't mean anything either. So that is it,  arty STlLL D0ES DAMAGE,  rather than doing 1-shots or what we have now, a T92 doing five hundred with a direct hit. AKA hitting someone like an E75 or lS7. 

What l'd like for arty, clearly?

- stun durations lowered,  5-8sec now, depending on caliber / proximity to explosion / explosion damage caused. 5 sec min stun field, 8 max.

- damage reverts pre 9.18 numbers. All anti armour APCR/HEAT removed from arty. Pen reduced to 3-12mm, low-to-high tier.  

- Prem HE increased explosion ranges. Whatever they now, 1O-15%? For 5-6 times the cost? lncrease those explosion parameters to 25-3O%. 

- lncreased damage on outer modules. Arty should be damaging tracks, guns, vision devices far more often. Decreased damage on inner modules,  crew members, ammo storage, engine, fuel line, radio compartment. 

BRDubbs #12 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 20:42

Private

• Players
  • 11973 battles
SU122A - Absolutely the worst arty at tier 5.  I started all of them around the same time, and have about the same crew experience in every nation at 100% primary skills.  It seems something has changed over the last week or so with the accuracy of the SU122A.  It does hit within the aiming circle, but almost always at the outline of the circle.  Has anyone else noticed this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users