US East, US West, US Central all up

server

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Pepino1976 #1 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24503 battles

Hmm. It's Wednesday morning. I went to log in at 7:40 am PST and let all the updates run. Then when I got to the login screen I clicked on Auto and looks at the choices. I saw all three servers being populated. Hmm. I thought Wargaming was going to gray out the East and West servers. Anyway, I left it on Auto and logged in. Then I checked where I got sent to. I was on my regular server, US West. Hmm. So I went into settings and changed server to US Central. I transferred over and was in. I played one test game. My ping from the Pacific Coast to the Central server was 66 ms. Not bad and certainly better then when I play on the East server (150 ms) now and then. Only issue I had was it seemed like they sent all the idiots to the Central server to play as both teams played stupid. I should have stayed on the West server where I was sent to with the smarter players. LOL.

So that is my quick report.

US East, US West, US Central

Bavor #2 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:09

Major

• Players
  • 28319 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Earlier this morning it was just US East and US Central.  Later on I noticed US West was still up.  Matchmaker won't improve if they leave up US East and US West.

Fbomb #3 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:12

Captain

• Players
  • 22000 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O
Is the difference between 50-60ms and, say, 150-ms that noticeable? I played an online WW2 air combat sim for years, which could easily be played dialup

burnner #4 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 61554 battles
  • [SCDRL] SCDRL

View PostBavor, on Aug 16 2017 - 11:09, said:

Earlier this morning it was just US East and US Central.  Later on I noticed US West was still up.  Matchmaker won't improve if they leave up US East and US West.

^^^ This I thought a merge was to combined we now  have three servers 

Doomslinger #5 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:23

Major

• Players
  • 60486 battles

View PostFbomb, on Aug 16 2017 - 11:12, said:

Is the difference between 50-60ms and, say, 150-ms that noticeable? I played an online WW2 air combat sim for years, which could easily be played dialup

You don't understand what ping means. Ping is simply the distance a packet of data has to travel from your computer to the server and back again. If it was dialup, it still travels the same distance compared to broadband. You can send more data/second with broadband but the ping would still be the same. If a game only needed 56 kbps bandwidth, it would work just as well on dialup.

Vipsanius #6 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25599 battles

View PostDoomslinger, on Aug 16 2017 - 16:23, said:

You don't understand what ping means. Ping is simply the distance a packet of data has to travel from your computer to the server and back again. If it was dialup, it still travels the same distance compared to broadband. You can send more data/second with broadband but the ping would still be the same. If a game only needed 56 kbps bandwidth, it would work just as well on dialup.

No, ping is not distance.  It is the measure of latency - the interval between response - and is measured in time (milliseconds).

pickpocket293 #7 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 16:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21512 battles
I suspected they would do it this way... Bring up US Central, while leaving things normal on east and west. Make sure Central is working properly and running smoothly, then shut down east and west. This way there is no down time and if there are bugs it's not the end of the world.

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #8 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1324 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postpickpocket293, on Aug 16 2017 - 07:47, said:

I suspected they would do it this way... Bring up US Central, while leaving things normal on east and west. Make sure Central is working properly and running smoothly, then shut down east and west. This way there is no down time and if there are bugs it's not the end of the world.

​That's what I was thinking and hoping. 

Orion__ #9 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 54741 battles
So now the player base is split between 3 servers.   Nice, Wargaming.   Lets get it down to one soon... please.

Edited by Orion__, Aug 16 2017 - 17:02.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #10 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6827 battles

View PostOrion__, on Aug 16 2017 - 17:01, said:

So now the player base is split between 3 servers.   Nice, Wargaming.   Lets get it down to one soon... please.

You guys need to understand this isn't as simple as it sounds. They are doing it the smart way. Gradual loading is best in this scenario. Start small to see if any issues arise and go from there. Simply dumping the entire population onto the new server can have very very bad results. If they did this and the new server crashed, you'd have pitchforks in your hands. 

Edited by The_World_Needs_A_Hero, Aug 16 2017 - 17:08.

93anthracite #11 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18277 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6

For the people that are complaining that there are now three servers, you clearly don't work in IT.  I don't work for WG, but this method is smart AND MAKES SURE YOU CAN STILL PLAY THE DAMN GAME.  You bring up Central, make sure it's stable, and get people on there.  Once stability of Central matches the others, you phase out the others.

In your mind, you want them to take down two servers and immediately push them all into a single server that has not proven it can support the load (because no amount of testing can guarantee that).  If something goes wrong in that scenario, it means the entire player base is unable to play while they sort it out.  THAT would be a bad idea, not what they are doing now...

_GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20 battles

View PostVipsanius, on Aug 16 2017 - 16:46, said:

No, ping is not distance.  It is the measure of latency - the interval between response - and is measured in time (milliseconds).

It is almost totally dependent on the distance the signal travels based on the speed of light, though.

Disregarding anomalies in the route, a longer distance always results in a higher ping.

scout_1994 #13 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:18

Corporal

• Players
  • 31714 battles
  • [DBIOW] DBIOW

I do not think anyone understands this.  I suggest that WG is combining servers because they have now lost enough players that it is no longer feasible to run two separate servers.  just wait until those on the west coast now have to play ranked games and such much earlier that they can (picture having instead of games at 8-9 pm now their clans have to play at 3-4 pm).  The same is true from the east coast.  Now they need to play at 10-12 pm.  

This is the last gasp in the night, insuring that only the young can play, due to older pp. working and such.  Remember it has always been the older folks that could and would pay, now they are frozen out completely.

God luck WG.  I guess it was a good long run and I wish all of you well

pickpocket293 #14 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21512 battles

View Postscout_1994, on Aug 16 2017 - 08:18, said:

I do not think anyone understands this.  I suggest that WG is combining servers because they have now lost enough players that it is no longer feasible to run two separate servers.  just wait until those on the west coast now have to play ranked games and such much earlier that they can (picture having instead of games at 8-9 pm now their clans have to play at 3-4 pm).  The same is true from the east coast.  Now they need to play at 10-12 pm.  

This is the last gasp in the night, insuring that only the young can play, due to older pp. working and such.  Remember it has always been the older folks that could and would pay, now they are frozen out completely.

God luck WG.  I guess it was a good long run and I wish all of you well

There are an awful lot of assumptions in your post. Why don't you wait and see how it goes before complaining that the sky is falling?

Derp_o7 #15 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 17:39

Captain

• Players
  • 30821 battles
  • [KANTO] KANTO

US East and US West down.

US Central is the only one up ATM.

Fbomb #16 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 18:05

Captain

• Players
  • 22000 battles
  • [T_K_O] T_K_O

View PostDoomslinger, on Aug 16 2017 - 10:23, said:

Yes I do understand it, and that was my point. People freak when their ping approaches 3-digits, and as long as it's STEADY, it's not a big deal. I play off a cell-phone hotspot, and if I'm at home (only there on weekends) I'm usually mid-100's to low 200's, which is ok, but prolly costs me some pop-around-the-corner scenarios. Weekdays, I'm usually somewhere with good signal, and get 50's, but I can't say I notice that much difference

kupski #17 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 18:12

Private

• Players
  • 16600 battles
  • [BOTZ] BOTZ
When are you going to create a Central America and South America Server? Since they are basically un regulated, use a plethora of cheat mods and want to type into the chat another language, I find that quite wrong. I for example do not go into Asian or Russian area start speaking English, again, WHEN are you creating servers for that area of the world ?

scout_1994 #18 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 18:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 31714 battles
  • [DBIOW] DBIOW

It has nothing to do with complaining, even if that worked.  If you had been here maybe 1-1/2 - 2 years ago and compare the two time frames, you would have a better picture.  Before WG bought back all their own stock back, that had been IP'ed a while back, if you owned X amount of stock you could see the worth going up and up.  This was a gold-standard game, by lots of metrics....In the real world its called money or "worth".  The game has not grown and got better.  It is now used as a case for what NOT to do.  If you try and cater to the non-paying ppl, and ignore your paying patrons, then you will not MAKE MONEY.  I bet you we will some time soon find out that one or both "support teams" on each coast "merge" or go away also, (although the west coast team does a lot of support for WoW, which is doing much better, money wise than WoT). Yet another "cost cutting measure".

All this is academic anyways.  I have spent in the neighborhood of 9,000.00 to 11,000.00, maybe more on this game, But I stopped all spending or playing since February - March.  I would rather light my money on fire these days...At least it would keep me some what warm..This will soon be marginalized out of support, updates, and Like me, more and more paying ppl quit.  Without THAT base , well lets see:  No PROFIT for game owner/company, No GAME

Tracker001 #19 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 19:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 38847 battles
  • [-OSS-] -OSS-
Why does this post have that Title ? No real news about the Central Server Here !!!

sixdonuts #20 Posted Aug 16 2017 - 22:22

Private

• -Players-
  • 16418 battles
  • [SAS2] SAS2

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on Aug 16 2017 - 11:05, said:

You guys need to understand this isn't as simple as it sounds. They are doing it the smart way. Gradual loading is best in this scenario. Start small to see if any issues arise and go from there. Simply dumping the entire population onto the new server can have very very bad results. If they did this and the new server crashed, you'd have pitchforks in your hands. 

The_World is correct - WG has a good plan here and is trying to make MM better so not sure why people are whining. Also, distance and bandwidth do NOT determine latency. Latency is determined by how many hops the packets need to take to get routed to and from the WG servers. The more devices that touch your packets the higher your latency. When connecting to Europe or Asia your packets unfortunately will generally touch many more devices due to inefficient routing between ISPs NOT because of the distance itself.

Also tagged with server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users