WoT and your hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Doomslinger #1 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 05:21

Major

• Players
  • 59652 battles

Here is some nice info on how your HD can affect WoT and how the game performs. Slower HDs can cause micro freezes in the game when tanks are destroyed and the game client has to load the destruction models of the tanks. I wonder why they don't just load all the destroyed tank models into ram before the battle starts or when you first log in to the game? I don't think the game uses a large amount of ram so most computers have enough to load the destroyed tank models into ram? Pre loading the destruction models would eliminate the stutter effect on older computers and/or slower hard disk drives? The micro lag is very small on my computer and almost unnoticeable but it is there. If I max out my graphics setting it can be more noticeable. There are probably people that have older rigs than I do that really notice it. My HDD benchmark test showed my drive reading and writing at around 100 mb/s.

Click this link for more info: HDD Comparison and WoT

If you want to test your HDD speed you can download the Parkdale HDD test. If any of you do this test, please post the result here in mb/s and if you notice any micro lag in the game caused by destruction of tanks. I am betting that a large number of people who complain about game lag may be having issues due to slow HDDs. Most people blame the game server or ISPs. To fix this problem, the game would have to be optimized to better utilize computer ram and rely less on HDD usage while playing a battle. The one thing you don't want your computer to be doing while playing a battle is accessing it's HDD more than it needs too.

PLaYeRoh #2 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 05:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 13778 battles

well, i dont know if this is related but sometimes when the battle starts my hard disc goes crazy (130 mb/s )  and reduces the performance incredible (fps at 10 or less ) then after 20 sec more or less , stabilizes at 60 fps like normal.

rokinamerica #3 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 05:56

Major

• Players
  • 4741 battles
To be honest Doom, I have switched out all my HDDs in all my computers for at least the last 7 years or so to SSDs and use the default HDDs as data storage. In my laptops I change the optical drive ( DVD) and get a caddy to put another HDD for storage, and use an external DVD if I even need one. 

Doomslinger #4 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 06:16

Major

• Players
  • 59652 battles

View Postrokinamerica, on Aug 26 2017 - 00:56, said:

To be honest Doom, I have switched out all my HDDs in all my computers for at least the last 7 years or so to SSDs and use the default HDDs as data storage. In my laptops I change the optical drive ( DVD) and get a caddy to put another HDD for storage, and use an external DVD if I even need one. 

Using an SSD is optimal. Put your OS and WoT on there and it should work much smoother compared to using the HDD. Use the HDD for storing things like movies, music and other things where you don't need blazing fast speed. But really? Should we have to all buy an SSD for WoT? It should be possible to code the game to use the RAM instead of the HDD for loading tank destruction models? I think most other games do this to make them run smoother. I play other games but WoT is the only one where I notice the micro stutter when a player is destroyed. That is caused by how the game uses the HDD instead of RAM to load the destroyed tank models. The HDD has to load that model every time a player is destroyed in a battle. This could be handled by RAM.

ToNa3rd #5 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 06:18

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14130 battles
no issues here, im using ssd for my OS and HDD for all my games installation, included wot

Hans_von_Twitchy #6 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 07:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 38794 battles
  • [-R-O-] -R-O-
If you're running WoT off a platter disk, do frequent Disk Defrags -- at least after every patch update. It'll greatly reduce your game load times.

Striker_70 #7 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 07:49

Major

• Players
  • 18497 battles
Even with a SSD hard drive, these micropauses happen.  It's probably a driver issue.

Doomslinger #8 Posted Aug 26 2017 - 08:32

Major

• Players
  • 59652 battles

View PostStriker_70, on Aug 26 2017 - 02:49, said:

Even with a SSD hard drive, these micropauses happen.  It's probably a driver issue.

I run driver updater programs and everything is up to date here. Would a driver from 2012 work better because mine are all 2017 or the latest ones available? The graphics engine for this game is from 2010 era is it not?

AbramsSmakr #9 Posted Sep 01 2017 - 05:49

Major

• Players
  • 5723 battles

Just finished up the test to check my hard drive speed. Now, to be fair, my 'gaming system' is top of the line, and of course that means big bucks, so I fully expect to be in the top 1% when it comes to computer performance. Should I expect any less, having paid $479 for a Core i5 laptop? I think not!! So the speeds I list here may tend to blow people's minds, and I am truly sorry for the envy/jealousy that may well up inside of you once you've witnessed these awesome numbers: Without further ado, here they are: 

Sequential write speed: 96.1 MByte/sec

Random QD32: 5.1 MByte/sec, 1317.6 IOPS

Sequential read speed: 116.9 MByte/sec

Random QD32: 113.0 kByte/sec, 33.3 IOPS

**Now, of course I have a complete grasp on what ALL those measurements and numbers mean(I dont have the first #@*-ing clue!)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users