Jump to content


STRV 103-0 Emergency. Really need help please.

STRV Swedish Tds tank destroyers help guide

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Gaborsky #1 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 03:01

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12419 battles
  • 32
  • [XTERM] XTERM
  • Member since:
    07-01-2011

Hey guys, Gaborksy here.

 

My title says it all. I've really struggled with the swedish tank destroyers, but finally made it to tier 9. Granted, my STRV 103-0 is stock, but my winrate is 33%. I'm struggling to find where to go on some maps. 

Could you guys name some places on some maps where you guys find success? For example where to go on airfield (south spawn), stalingrad, kharkov, himmelsdorf and karelia? This is where I struggle the most. 

 

I find myself chasing my team the whole game, or really having to move around half the game to find shots on the enemy, so I think my struggles are related to positioning. 

I will continue to play the tank for about a week, but I am at the verge of selling it, since I just cannot find the play style for it. I did ok in the UDES since I kept the tank light and used it to boost into positions and snipe from there, but for the most part I had the same issues I am facing now. Except, the STRV 103-0 is too heavy to do mountain goating.

 

Thanks guys!

-Gaborsky



Viper69 #2 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 03:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 7410 battles
  • 3,959
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011
I wish I could help but most good hiding spots are like fishing spots. You don't want to tell anyone. Besides good spots are so situational in these TDs. So even if we told you our spots it all likely they only work if the battle is going a certain way. 

Themutt36 #3 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 03:54

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20459 battles
  • 1,647
  • [DV] DV
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011
It's tough with any slow casemate TD.  Even if you get to a good spot, the reds don't always go where they are supposed to.

hector1470 #4 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 04:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 30331 battles
  • 2,140
  • [R-7] R-7
  • Member since:
    09-24-2011
There are none, you'll have to be extremely cheeky and play as a support tank. 

HowitzerBlitzer #5 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 04:05

    Major

  • Players
  • 14057 battles
  • 7,370
  • Member since:
    06-16-2013

Don't bother asking, no one here is going to give answers.

 

View PostViper69, on Aug 28 2017 - 21:40, said:

I wish I could help but most good hiding spots are like fishing spots. You don't want to tell anyone. Besides good spots are so situational in these TDs. So even if we told you our spots it all likely they only work if the battle is going a certain way. 

 

I mean, look at people like this guy, do you really think he wants to be helpful? I doubt he ever will be.

 



Gunadie #6 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 04:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 36889 battles
  • 3,658
  • [PROVE] PROVE
  • Member since:
    08-20-2011

View PostGaborsky, on Aug 28 2017 - 18:01, said:

Hey guys, Gaborksy here.

 

My title says it all. I've really struggled with the swedish tank destroyers, but finally made it to tier 9. Granted, my STRV 103-0 is stock, but my winrate is 33%. I'm struggling to find where to go on some maps.

Could you guys name some places on some maps where you guys find success? For example where to go on airfield (south spawn), stalingrad, kharkov, himmelsdorf and karelia? This is where I struggle the most.

 

I find myself chasing my team the whole game, or really having to move around half the game to find shots on the enemy, so I think my struggles are related to positioning.

I will continue to play the tank for about a week, but I am at the verge of selling it, since I just cannot find the play style for it. I did ok in the UDES since I kept the tank light and used it to boost into positions and snipe from there, but for the most part I had the same issues I am facing now. Except, the STRV 103-0 is too heavy to do mountain goating.

 

Thanks guys!

-Gaborsky

 

The trick is to be reactive to the battle deployment as it develops.

You have a very fast TD that can transition to where its required, as needed.

Read the play and locate and relocate as need be.

Don't camp and wait for the game to come to you!



Dirizon #7 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 04:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 25890 battles
  • 3,324
  • [BASE_] BASE_
  • Member since:
    06-05-2011

Unfortunately unlike something like Grille, which can be aggressive and cheeky, Strvs cannot because of crippling siege. This makes them situational, and a huge liability in cities. 

Karelia shouldn't be a problem though. Try to always put yourself in positions where you shoot low tiers, a T9 does that often. This increases your armour, surprisingly as less low tiers have 12.2cm guns required for typical overmatch. 0ften put yourself in positions of double bush or near perfect hulldown, and fire away. As said earlier, in towns you are in trouble. Ensk field is way too small and you get spotted fast, while ruinberg field you really need a turret.

 

Probably best advice for city maps like Kharkov is not to moveoften and stay in siege, use gold rounds and ensure at least trade of damage. That should get you 1.5 - 2K at least, more if you shoot first and then twice as he reloads (you do that faster than most tanks) which is a fine result in towns



Mister_Paul #8 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 05:40

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 24951 battles
  • 21
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    03-30-2013

Hello,

 

     Intriguing you mention it, because I just started with the tier 9 Strv 103-0 and I love it. My feelings aside, here's what I learned - perhaps you might be able to use it. The following tips will help you on city maps as well.

 

     1. Use Situational Awareness: Every match, start by looking at the mini-map. There's no need to rush to your doom, so watch your team's deployment. See where they go. Preferably, you would want to get early shots and hold down a corridor but you can be forgiven for not doing so because that by itself is risky. By the first minute, you should know where your team is strong, where they are weak, and where they do not exist. You should also begin to note a few enemy tanks and see signs of a battle. Since we are striving to improve your performance in the Strv, I advise sticking to where your team is the strongest, but linger behind as a second or third line support. The Strv excels in defensive and ambush play, and what better way to irritate the enemy than to pop up unexpectedly. To this end, your mini-map needs to be your best friend. Predict where the enemy will come from, and with what tanks. Knowledge of enemy tanks' speed and firepower is appropriate as well. That way you can make a better decision on whether to fight or flee.

 

     2. Exercise Patience & React: Camping is fine. You do not need to do stupid crap for the first, second, or even in the fourth minute, especially on city maps. There isn't much to do anyways, and the main battle is going on. This isn't to say that you should wait idly while a critical fight (that will determine the outcome) is going on, but you need to make educated decisions on where you should be. Use this time not in battle to decide where you should be that will allow you to contribute to your team the most. This spot is constantly changing - that is why camping is discouraged because their spot quickly becomes useless. The offensive and defensive values (which are the positions that allow you to attack and defend the best, respectively) of every spot in the game are constantly changing. The first two minutes the best spot to defend might be the base because the enemy team rushed. Six minutes later it might be near the enemy's cap circle because your allies and enemies are fighting there, not your base. Nobody can tell you where to go or what spots are the best. Yes, there are early spots you can take but there is no miracle spot (with few exceptions) that will garner you the highest damage and kills every match. Sometimes the best spot to attack the enemy might only be a spot that will get you 2-3 shots of damage. That is fine - it is the best you can do. Simply move on and relocate. If you can go on the offensive, find an offensive spot, attack, and relocate to another offensive position. If you expect an enemy breakthrough, find the best defensive spot you can. Expect another push from the enemy? Repeat. This brings me to my final tip:

 

     3. Relocate: To do well in any tank, one should always be relocating to more advantageous positions either offensively (while attacking the enemy with the intent of getting damage and kills) or defensively (to prevent the enemy from killing other tanks and most of all, you, all while striving to do the maximum damage possible). If you do not know where to go, you can camp, but you are at the mercy of both teams. Most of the time, both teams determine where the main battles will be held. Your allies might push the battle further up out of your camp zone and they might get wiped out. You lost your chance because you did not relocate to the next best spot. The enemy team might push to your base, destroying most of your allies. You lost your chance because your defensive spot was the very last place to defend. To prevent this, you must relocate as you see fit. You do not necessarily have to get an insane amount of damage every game, but you must position yourself to help win the game. If that means camping base to prevent the enemy from pushing in, so be it or if that means pushing forward in unorthodox positions that you never knew had offensive / defensive value, that works as well.

 

Tl;dr: Relocate. Your position on the mini-map is gaining or losing value. Relocate to the next position that allows you the greatest chance to kill the enemy team. Camping is an option, but it is risky because there is almost always a better position you could take to increase your chance to damage, kill and win the match.

 

Best.


Edited by Mister_Paul, Aug 29 2017 - 05:46.


johnmadara #9 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 06:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 31504 battles
  • 5,903
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011
go to places that you would think people will go, even if it means you will only get a couple shots from people crossing to new positions... strv line has a completely different play style from other TDs cause brawling is extremely difficult... positioning is the key to doing anything remotely useful in a tank that can only snipe so either learn from guides or just learn them through playing

Gaborsky #10 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 08:28

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12419 battles
  • 32
  • [XTERM] XTERM
  • Member since:
    07-01-2011

View PostViper69, on Aug 29 2017 - 02:40, said:

I wish I could help but most good hiding spots are like fishing spots. You don't want to tell anyone. Besides good spots are so situational in these TDs. So even if we told you our spots it all likely they only work if the battle is going a certain way. 

haha, fair enough Viper. Cheers!

View PostGunadie, on Aug 29 2017 - 03:50, said:

 

The trick is to be reactive to the battle deployment as it develops.

You have a very fast TD that can transition to where its required, as needed.

Read the play and locate and relocate as need be.

Don't camp and wait for the game to come to you!

hmmm.... interesting advice about relocating. perhaps with the top engine that will be more viable. I'll work on that. thanks! 

View PostDirizon, on Aug 29 2017 - 03:53, said:

Unfortunately unlike something like Grille, which can be aggressive and cheeky, Strvs cannot because of crippling siege. This makes them situational, and a huge liability in cities. 

Karelia shouldn't be a problem though. Try to always put yourself in positions where you shoot low tiers, a T9 does that often. This increases your armour, surprisingly as less low tiers have 12.2cm guns required for typical overmatch. 0ften put yourself in positions of double bush or near perfect hulldown, and fire away. As said earlier, in towns you are in trouble. Ensk field is way too small and you get spotted fast, while ruinberg field you really need a turret.

 

Probably best advice for city maps like Kharkov is not to moveoften and stay in siege, use gold rounds and ensure at least trade of damage. That should get you 1.5 - 2K at least, more if you shoot first and then twice as he reloads (you do that faster than most tanks) which is a fine result in towns

thanks for your response man, really appreciate it! 

View PostMister_Paul, on Aug 29 2017 - 04:40, said:

Hello,

 

     Intriguing you mention it, because I just started with the tier 9 Strv 103-0 and I love it. My feelings aside, here's what I learned - perhaps you might be able to use it. The following tips will help you on city maps as well.

 

     1. Use Situational Awareness: Every match, start by looking at the mini-map. There's no need to rush to your doom, so watch your team's deployment. See where they go. Preferably, you would want to get early shots and hold down a corridor but you can be forgiven for not doing so because that by itself is risky. By the first minute, you should know where your team is strong, where they are weak, and where they do not exist. You should also begin to note a few enemy tanks and see signs of a battle. Since we are striving to improve your performance in the Strv, I advise sticking to where your team is the strongest, but linger behind as a second or third line support. The Strv excels in defensive and ambush play, and what better way to irritate the enemy than to pop up unexpectedly. To this end, your mini-map needs to be your best friend. Predict where the enemy will come from, and with what tanks. Knowledge of enemy tanks' speed and firepower is appropriate as well. That way you can make a better decision on whether to fight or flee.

 

     2. Exercise Patience & React: Camping is fine. You do not need to do stupid crap for the first, second, or even in the fourth minute, especially on city maps. There isn't much to do anyways, and the main battle is going on. This isn't to say that you should wait idly while a critical fight (that will determine the outcome) is going on, but you need to make educated decisions on where you should be. Use this time not in battle to decide where you should be that will allow you to contribute to your team the most. This spot is constantly changing - that is why camping is discouraged because their spot quickly becomes useless. The offensive and defensive values (which are the positions that allow you to attack and defend the best, respectively) of every spot in the game are constantly changing. The first two minutes the best spot to defend might be the base because the enemy team rushed. Six minutes later it might be near the enemy's cap circle because your allies and enemies are fighting there, not your base. Nobody can tell you where to go or what spots are the best. Yes, there are early spots you can take but there is no miracle spot (with few exceptions) that will garner you the highest damage and kills every match. Sometimes the best spot to attack the enemy might only be a spot that will get you 2-3 shots of damage. That is fine - it is the best you can do. Simply move on and relocate. If you can go on the offensive, find an offensive spot, attack, and relocate to another offensive position. If you expect an enemy breakthrough, find the best defensive spot you can. Expect another push from the enemy? Repeat. This brings me to my final tip:

 

     3. Relocate: To do well in any tank, one should always be relocating to more advantageous positions either offensively (while attacking the enemy with the intent of getting damage and kills) or defensively (to prevent the enemy from killing other tanks and most of all, you, all while striving to do the maximum damage possible). If you do not know where to go, you can camp, but you are at the mercy of both teams. Most of the time, both teams determine where the main battles will be held. Your allies might push the battle further up out of your camp zone and they might get wiped out. You lost your chance because you did not relocate to the next best spot. The enemy team might push to your base, destroying most of your allies. You lost your chance because your defensive spot was the very last place to defend. To prevent this, you must relocate as you see fit. You do not necessarily have to get an insane amount of damage every game, but you must position yourself to help win the game. If that means camping base to prevent the enemy from pushing in, so be it or if that means pushing forward in unorthodox positions that you never knew had offensive / defensive value, that works as well.

 

Tl;dr: Relocate. Your position on the mini-map is gaining or losing value. Relocate to the next position that allows you the greatest chance to kill the enemy team. Camping is an option, but it is risky because there is almost always a better position you could take to increase your chance to damage, kill and win the match.

 

Best.

hey man, thanks for the super detailed response. that sounds great, except i'm struggling to find damage in the tank, in terms of finding people to shoot. I notice that once I have shots on someone I get wrecked really quickly. I think what is happening is that I just get frustrated mid game and sort of yolo somewhere without doing real significant damage. Would you say that this tank excels mid-late game? Perhaps I should strive to reach that stage? thanks again Mr Paul!



Viper69 #11 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 10:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 7410 battles
  • 3,959
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011

View PostHowitzerBlitzer, on Aug 28 2017 - 22:05, said:

Don't bother asking, no one here is going to give answers.

 

 

I mean, look at people like this guy, do you really think he wants to be helpful? I doubt he ever will be.

 

 

you sure were a wealth of knowledge yourself skippy.  I mean I did tell him the spots are situational I wasn't being a [edited]. Hell look at my record in the udes, I'm still learning myself how to operate this style of TD.

mrmojo #12 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 11:21

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17849 battles
  • 1,831
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
  • Member since:
    07-24-2011

Haven't got one but is this tank is one tier higher. Might help?

 

https://www.youtube....h?v=_0RY3nBhWhc



Mister_Paul #13 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 21:57

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 24951 battles
  • 21
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    03-30-2013

 

View PostGaborsky, on Aug 29 2017 - 03:28, said:

hey man, thanks for the super detailed response. that sounds great, except i'm struggling to find damage in the tank, in terms of finding people to shoot. I notice that once I have shots on someone I get wrecked really quickly. I think what is happening is that I just get frustrated mid game and sort of yolo somewhere without doing real significant damage. Would you say that this tank excels mid-late game? Perhaps I should strive to reach that stage? thanks again Mr Paul!

 

Hello Gaborsky,

 

     I would say that the Strv excels in the mid and late game, of course. With fewer enemies, players have greater latitude in terms of map positioning. 390 alpha is nothing to roll one's eyes at either, especially with 3000+ dpm, fantastic reverse speed, and excellent camo values. When I think about it, what made the grind much easier was that I finally trained my sixth sense and camouflage skills so that I could fire at targets < 300-350m away with impunity. To this extent, getting camo skills + camo net would be beneficial. One detail to note is that your allies have the potential to amplify your firepower because of their spotting, so it helps to have a few allies alive.

 

     As for reaching the mid to late game, one of your main goals should be to survive as long as possible and score kills + damage as much as you can. It doesn't matter how you do it since the Swedish tank destroyer branch is unorthodox so a combination of aggressive and defensive play is vital. To reach the end game, focus on your positioning. Think hard and deliberate on whether moving to x location will help you. There is a risk in almost any position you take, so do not be deterred from aggressive play.

 

     Here is additional reading on making good choices in your tank destroyer. As always, one can apply this to any tank. As one improves their decision making, I am sure one will achieve a higher win rate. I'm trying to break 60% win rate actually, and making good choices is a skill that will benefit any player in any tank.

 

http://wotlabs.net/articles/decision-processing-the-ooda-loop/

 

      I am sure you will thrive in the Swedish line. It's an excellent opportunity to learn!

 

All the best.


Edited by Mister_Paul, Aug 29 2017 - 21:58.


Viper69 #14 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 22:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 7410 battles
  • 3,959
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011
I tend to hang back in my UDes relying on better eyes to bring by gun to bare. I have found the hard way not to push or even try to flank and hunt in this thing. You need some serious stand off distance to give you time to setup and take down to relocate if spotted.

Gaborsky #15 Posted Aug 30 2017 - 23:28

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12419 battles
  • 32
  • [XTERM] XTERM
  • Member since:
    07-01-2011

View PostMister_Paul, on Aug 29 2017 - 20:57, said:

 

 

Hello Gaborsky,

 

     I would say that the Strv excels in the mid and late game, of course. With fewer enemies, players have greater latitude in terms of map positioning. 390 alpha is nothing to roll one's eyes at either, especially with 3000+ dpm, fantastic reverse speed, and excellent camo values. When I think about it, what made the grind much easier was that I finally trained my sixth sense and camouflage skills so that I could fire at targets < 300-350m away with impunity. To this extent, getting camo skills + camo net would be beneficial. One detail to note is that your allies have the potential to amplify your firepower because of their spotting, so it helps to have a few allies alive.

 

     As for reaching the mid to late game, one of your main goals should be to survive as long as possible and score kills + damage as much as you can. It doesn't matter how you do it since the Swedish tank destroyer branch is unorthodox so a combination of aggressive and defensive play is vital. To reach the end game, focus on your positioning. Think hard and deliberate on whether moving to x location will help you. There is a risk in almost any position you take, so do not be deterred from aggressive play.

 

     Here is additional reading on making good choices in your tank destroyer. As always, one can apply this to any tank. As one improves their decision making, I am sure one will achieve a higher win rate. I'm trying to break 60% win rate actually, and making good choices is a skill that will benefit any player in any tank.

 

http://wotlabs.net/articles/decision-processing-the-ooda-loop/

 

      I am sure you will thrive in the Swedish line. It's an excellent opportunity to learn!

 

All the best.

 

Thanks so much for responding Mister Paul. I'll keep working on it! 

cheers, Gaborsky







Also tagged with STRV, Swedish, Tds, tank, destroyers, help, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users