A Tool to help Skinning Tanks...

swizzler tank skinning tool

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Coffee_ #1 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 21:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles

So... I started working on "Swizzler" a long ago and finally think its a usable tool..

I'm looking to see what you all think of it so far....

It is better to watch this at Youtube in theater mode or full screen....

The image editing tool I'm using in that video is a very old version of Fire Works.. back when Macromedia still was in business. Any Tool that uses layers will work but I still use that old version of Fire Works for everything... Also Gimp 2 (normal maps) and Paint.net.. Swizzler is good for converting from one format to another.

EDIT: You can get this here : On GitHub.

Its a work in progress so.. leave suggestions for improvement.. 

EDIT: New Update.. Version 4 ... Fixed a bug in the shader.

Fett713 #2 Posted Aug 29 2017 - 22:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29575 battles
  • [BSI] BSI
Nice work Coffee, looks very easy and user friendly, I'm sure I'm not alone in salivating waiting for it's release. :great:

Coffee_ #3 Posted Aug 30 2017 - 07:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles

View PostFett713, on Aug 29 2017 - 16:17, said:

Nice work Coffee, looks very easy and user friendly, I'm sure I'm not alone in salivating waiting for it's release. :great:

Thank you :) I hope you get some good use out of it.

Day_of_the_dead #4 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 00:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 21477 battles
Will this work for PS?

wookiee_monster #5 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 02:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19258 battles

HI Coffee_ the download link gives a 404 page. I managed to download it anway my going to your main Github page.

WOW! I love the RGB normal map feature. I have tried fiddling with WG's normal maps before to get them to work in Substance Painter and it's a pain but this works great, thank you for this.

View PostDay_of_the_dead, on Sep 08 2017 - 00:54, said:

Will this work for PS?
PS can't open/save DDS files natively so this will help you save out a bunch of files in a PNG format so you can then edit them in PS

Coffee_ #6 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 19:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles

I Just updated to version 4.. and fixed the link above.

Thank you wookie_monster.. I use the normal map converter all the time.. its the main reason I wrote this tool..
This is how the converter works...

In------out

A * 2.0 -1.0  ---->    R

G * 2.0 -1.0  ---->   G

B = Sqrt(1.0 - ( ( R*R) +(G*G) ) )

The Red channel in the ANM maps contains the alpha.
If you want, you can load the ANM map, reassign Red to Alpha.. reassign Green to Red and dbl click on Blue and Alpha to disconnect them for the output and save this texture under a different name.. Something like Track_Alpha.png.
In 3DS Max,, you can assign this alpha texture to the opacity map in the material editor. I'm sure other 3D programs can do pretty much the same in their material editors.

The reason for DDS is because Direct3D hardware can read DDS files straight in to video ram...Unlike OpenGL which has to be converted.

Don't forget that you can re-route the G and A channels to A, G if the bump looks upside down. As it is, it works fine in 3DS Max.

Yes... Sorry about the bad link... I updated and never edited this page...

Double clicking on one of the swizzler colors Red, Green, Blue and Alpha will disconnect it from the output.

You can re-assign them to any output channel using the radio buttons.

Swizzler will let you open a DDS and save in PNG, BMP or JPG... PNG is by far the best way to save out images to work on them because PNG is 100% lossless.

DDS loses image quality.. NEVER keep loading and saving back over a DDS.. after a few saves you wont be able to tell what the image was !

IMPORTANT!
If you want to do this 100% correct...
HD textures DO NOT have
MipMaps.. and are ALWAYS twice as big in Width and Height as SD textures.
SD textures MUST have MipMaps

Here is a little tut I did for you to explain how to use Swizzler.

Some of the functions you will never need to touch like Preserve Unassigned Channels.

Here is a image of the new and improved (but wait there's more!  Order in the next five minutes...) version;

Swizzler in action

Best way to edit Images goes like this...

1. Set up 2 folders..

The one the game will look in. IE  C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.9.20.0\vehicles\american\A31_M36_Slagger

Setup a work area folder and extract your textures from the pkg files..

NOTE: If you cant find a texture, try looking in shared_content and shared_content_sandbox. There are HD versions as well.

2. Load the DDS file you plan on changing into Swizzler and save it in to your work area as a PNG file.

3. Load this new PNG file in to your favorite imaged editor and create your work.

You will want to create a layer, do your changes on that layer and SAVE ONLY THAT LAYER as new file name.

I just add _MASK to the name so its like M36_Slagger_hull_01_AM_hd_MASK.png

I uploaded the HD janet mask if you care to use it as a learning aid. 

4. load the PNG you saved in step 2. Load the new MASK using "Load Mask Image"

5. There are a number of things you can do with this mask.. For the tank color textures (AM)  you are going to want to use the Replace and check only R,G and B.

This draws the mask over the top of the loaded image.

6. Save your new AM DDS in your res_mods path.

7. Change the AO mask..

(This texture has 3 masks in it.. R is ambient occlusion, G is Specular amount, B not sure about yet.. and Alpha.. the Camouflage mask.

The Alpha channel is what we need to worry about.

Load up the AO dds file.

If you leave it AS IS.. any camouflage will draw over the top of your new texture additions.

If the MASK is already loaded, there is no need to load it again.. just change how the mask effects the output.

Load up the AO dds file.

Here is an Image of what needs to be set to mask the AO texture using your MASK you created in step 3.

Swizzler mask Settings

You can see that the Affected channels is set to ONLY alpha. Also "Alpha Bend" and "Blend Alpha" both are checked.
The "Blend Alpha" check box uses any alpha in your mask.. Unchecked, it's going to be hard edge masking.

8. Save your new AO DDS file in your res_mods path.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO PROTECT YOUR WORK..

Once you have your textures just the way you like.. back them up some where out of the res_mods folder.. 

And how this looks in the game :) I added some text to the Turret using exactly the same method as in the steps.

(you may want to double the size of the AM and AO textures if your mask looks bad!)

Spoiler

The bolts on the front armor look like a wardrobe malfunction :)

Edited by Coffee_, Sep 26 2017 - 18:42.

Coffee_ #7 Posted Sep 26 2017 - 17:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles
I fixed a bug in the shader...
The "Multiply" was affecting the out put regardless of the setting of "Use Alpha Opacity"

Coffee_ #8 Posted Sep 26 2017 - 18:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles

Here is an image of the setup to convert a track texture in to something that can be used for the alpha channel (Opacity in 3DS Max):

Remember that DOUBLE CLICKING on a channels color name disconnects it from the output.
Don't forget to save it under a different name...

Coffee_ #9 Posted Sep 26 2017 - 18:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42618 battles

Here is the settings to convert the orange looking normal maps in to the RGB maps
You can flip assignment of G and A if the maps look wrong in your renders.

Of course having converted normal maps and no models of the tanks does no one any good..
You are welcome to download and use my Tank Exporter on GitHub. It exports in FBX 2009. If your unable to use 2009.. get Autodesk's FBX Converter.. Its free.
TE will need to gather a lot of information the first time it runs... Be patient... have a cup a coffee.. a smoke or what ever while its setting up its data packages.

A friendly reminder.. EVERYTHING that comes out of ANY of the PKG files is owned by WARGAMING.NET. Personal use has never been an issue..
Selling this data on some 3D site or to anyone is very illegal! DON'T DO IT!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users