crew skills crew perks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Clutch_50k #1 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 17:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24797 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

I've never been that great at crew management. After all these games, I'm still not sure what the correct (or most right) approach is to crew management. 

I just researched the M46 Patton. My Pershing crew is a 4-skill crew (I also play them in my Super P.)

So, any opinions on my crew? Should I retrain my Pershing crew for the M46 and recruit a new crew for my Pershing (or sell the Pershing altogether) and not have to worry about a crew?

What does everyone do with their crew when they research/buy a new tank in the line?

Mustang2209 #2 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 17:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20863 battles
  • [SCDRL] SCDRL

I usually transfer my 'best' crew into the new tank and retrain them, typically with gold. I keep about all of my tanks above T5 so I put a new crew into it, unless it's a CW tank that I play. It's really up to you - or you can simply put a new crew into it but knowing you'll need to grind them.

signature.png

rich73 #3 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 42986 battles
Simple.Do you want to keep the old tank?If you do ,it requires a crew.If you dont ,then transfer.It all becomes simple when you ask your self the right question.And these are all personal choices that no one can make but yourself.

Gnarly #4 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 18:01

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 63264 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

Ask yourself if you enjoyed playing the tank you just "finished"?  

If so, promote the crew to the new tank (so your top tiers always have the best crews) and recruit a new crew for the old tank. 

If you didn't like the tank, sell it and move on.

Anderwar #5 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 18:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 41539 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE
It is all depend in what is your goals in this game, farm wn8, have fun, get t10s, have tanks for turneys, colect tanks. In my case i like to get tier 10s and have good tanks for platooning and have good tanks in al tiers (i mean OP tanks like t 67 or m53/55).

Darkbee2Bee #6 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 18:20

Major

• Players
  • 30915 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

I (almost) always move the most skilled crew up the line.  The higher the tier the better skilled crews you need.

I usually keep a tier 5/6 around that is elite, so I can train up a new crew, even better if it is a tier 5/6 Premium Tank.  The lower the tier the more you can get away with unskilled crews.  By the time you get to tier 8, you're heavily gimping yourself if you don't have any skills/perks on a crew.

If you like playing the Pershing then keep it!

Make use of personal reserves, (free) premium time and x3 / x5 weekends to train up new crews faster.

ARCNA442 #7 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 19:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8074 battles
  • [SAVE] SAVE
The M26 is a decent tank, but the M46 is an amazing one - I'd move the crew up.

LpBronco #8 Posted Sep 04 2017 - 21:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36201 battles
  • [_F_] _F_
Paton is one of the better tier 9's. The meta now favors tier 9 over tier 8 so I'd probably make sure my best crew was in the nine and then if I liked the Pershing (which I do) then I'd move a second crew into the tank and recruit a new crew on one of my tier 5 or 6 tanks. Then I do have enough crew trainers that I have at least three or four crews each for the major nations and one or two for each of the others. Crew training is an ongoing activity for me and making use of the personal reserves and x2+ crew specials makes the exponential crew grind a little less mind numbing.

Clutch_50k #9 Posted Sep 05 2017 - 21:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 24797 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

Thanks for all the responses. I think, inside, I was waiting for a good case for or against getting rid of the Pershing. I like it ... not in love with it.

I am going to move my Pershing crew up and find a lower tier crew to retrain.

Morty__ #10 Posted Sep 05 2017 - 22:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15040 battles
  • [DIMBO] DIMBO

I moved my crew and sold my Pershing. I also sold the M46 that came after it. I can only play so many tanks so I only keep the amazing ones. The Pershing didn't make the cut for me... The M46 almost did.

When I play tier 8 I tend to favor a premium tank to make credits...

The benefit of always moving the crew to the next tank is that you'll always have a decent crew for your tier 10

LpBronco #11 Posted Sep 05 2017 - 22:37

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36201 battles
  • [_F_] _F_

View PostMorty__, on Sep 05 2017 - 16:18, said:

I moved my crew and sold my Pershing. I also sold the M46 that came after it. I can only play so many tanks so I only keep the amazing ones. The Pershing didn't make the cut for me... The M46 almost did.

When I play tier 8 I tend to favor a premium tank to make credits...

The benefit of always moving the crew to the next tank is that you'll always have a decent crew for your tier 10

I'd still rather keep a better crew in a tank I will play regularly rather than move a crew to a tank that I'll rarely play. More time the crew spends in game the faster it trains and I do rotate crews through the crew trainers as once they reach 4 skills/perks the added benefits diminish and I promote the crews up and start training another crew.

The M46 is one of the meta tanks now and with recent "rebalancing" and matchmaking favoritism this tank excels. Shame you sold yours.

Hurk #12 Posted Sep 05 2017 - 22:55

Major

• Players
  • 45153 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

the great secret is the game you are playing is not world of tanks. tanks come and go... crews are FOREVER.  you are playing world of crew management. 

assuming you are serious about the game enough to invest in it to the same level you would any other online game (about $15-$20 a month), this is what i recommend:

1. for new tank lines, dont bother with a permenant crew until tier 4-5. this depends on the tank line and you need to do your best guess as to how long you will need to get out of 4 before spending credits/gold on a crew there. 

for most new lines in nations i already have good crews, i just run a off-class crew, but add food and vents to the tank to make up for some of the loss. on average its about 30 battles from tier 1-5 for me, so this is fine.

2. if you are a new tank line that you have no crews for and no other crews around that can be retrained, start a 100% crew for gold and stay at tier 5 until you finish the first perk. (normally Sixth sense + either repairs or camo depending on the tank type. for arty, i do BIA first)

3. after you have crews with 1+ perks, start moving up your best and back filling for any tanks you want to keep. also for lines that split, keep tabs of any tanks you like so you can start a new crew to train for the second line when you get there. if there are none, find another line you like that you can train a crew in... a line where you have a lot of premium tanks is best for this. (russian heavies and mediums for instance have a LOT of premiums you can play for the daily doubles to massively boost a crew)

4. as a rule of thumb tier 1-4, dont care. tier 5-6 1 perk completed before moving up, tier 7-8 2 perks completed before moving up. tier 9-10, no crews except those over 2 perks and preferably over 3 perks. 

5. crews should be retrained every perk if you have the money for it, otherwise every other perk. that way you can get perks on your crew and start working on camo/repairs again. since they are skills, they work while being trained unlike the perks that dont. 

6. dont forget the special crews. those zero crew skill BIA/SIA crewmembers are awesome, and they can co-exist now.  if you have 2 tank lines but premiums that require say, a double loader or double gunner like the russian TD lines, you can have sisters in one line and men in the other then have them mix on the premiums that require both. 

7. dont forget some of those freebie crews. check through your rentals. some came with 100% crews. you can move these will silver or gold to those lower tier tanks that you restart crews on and keep a better than 75% crew from it. 

8. if you have a lot of older crews, dig through them to cobble together new crews using the re-classing for 500 gold feature. in the american lines for instance, many radio operators go unused later. these 1-2 skill crew members can be turned into 1+ crew perk commanders for new tanks. 

omi5cron #13 Posted Sep 06 2017 - 00:20

Captain

• Players
  • 19228 battles
  • [21ARM] 21ARM
hurk is giving us the better approach. wish i had known this AGES ago. thanks.

terra_pirkibo #14 Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15508 battles
I have a similar question. I want to keep my T-9 Conqueror (3 perk crew) and move them to the T-10 heavy before WoT removes it from the game, but also move them back to the T-9. In other words, one crew for 2 tanks. Is this possible? Do I have to retrain each time I move them?

Also tagged with crew skills, crew, perks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users