Imac shutting down.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

sureshot47 #1 Posted Sep 06 2017 - 23:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29287 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

So,my I Mac has been shutting down after 1 -2 games. It will either reboot or remain shut off for a few minutes. This strikes me as an over heating issue. I could be wrong,as the back of the computer doesn't seem to be overly hot.Can I just blow compressed air up the vents,and hopefully dislodge some dust? This thing seems sealed.Or is it simply over whelmed? Play is smooth and seemless without much lag at all.Graphics are set at minimum.

Mac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

wkcw1 #2 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 00:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12420 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR
Do you have apple care? If so you should get an apple dealer to look at it.

RickPatton #3 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 00:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 27974 battles
  • [ANV] ANV

View Postsureshot47, on Sep 06 2017 - 12:51, said:

So,my I Mac has been shutting down after 1 -2 games. It will either reboot or remain shut off for a few minutes. This strikes me as an over heating issue. I could be wrong,as the back of the computer doesn't seem to be overly hot.Can I just blow compressed air up the vents,and hopefully dislodge some dust? This thing seems sealed.Or is it simply over whelmed? Play is smooth and seemless without much lag at all.Graphics are set at minimum.

Mac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

Hope this Apple forum helps you out.

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

Cig753 #4 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 00:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26921 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

this is a sign...

its time for a real computer

mac < windows, linux, any OS really

Isola_di_Fano #5 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 00:54

Major

• Players
  • 19912 battles

I would STRONGLY advise you do NOT blow whatever ''up the vents''.

If you Mac shuts down after a few minutes, I would hope you have a backup of all your files somewhere as it might be a motherboard issue (since you mentionned overheating).

A visit to your nearest Apple store is definitively required, and the sooner the better.

Fodder_2016 #6 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 01:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10899 battles
Install Macs Fan Control to actually see what your temps are and also to boost the fan speed to compensate.  I run the same model as yours (with 8GB RAM) and have never had a shutdown issue, but the CPU will get up to 145F when playing WoT.

black_colt #7 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostCig753, on Sep 06 2017 - 15:21, said:

this is a sign...

its time for a real computer

mac < windows, linux, any OS really

Actually Mac > MS Windows and Linux in that a Mac can run all three OS[s] legally and chose the one that fits the task best.

black_colt #8 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostFodder_2016, on Sep 06 2017 - 16:19, said:

Install Macs Fan Control to actually see what your temps are and also to boost the fan speed to compensate.  I run the same model as yours (with 8GB RAM) and have never had a shutdown issue, but the CPU will get up to 145F when playing WoT.

No need to go to the Apple Store as Macs have built-in hardware diagnostics [Apple Diagnostics].

To eliminate any hardware issues -  I recommend that you run Apple Diagnostics [although I strongly suspect installing Macs Fan Control will solve the issue] - see this KBase Article on how to run - https://support.appl.../en-us/HT202731

I also recommend that you reset the SMC on your iMac as that can sometimes lead to unusual fan activity - https://support.appl.../en-us/HT201295

Finally you did not indicate what version of OS X/macOS you are running - may we please have that information?

Nice CTO - my late 2015 27-inch iMac 5K Retina is also CTO [4GB AMD RADEON R9 M395x]

Edited by black_colt, Sep 07 2017 - 04:11.

black_colt #9 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostFodder_2016, on Sep 06 2017 - 16:19, said:

I highly recommend that you run Macs Fan Control as well on any Mac hardware when running MS Windows programs on OS X/macOS. 

Have been running for years on all of my iMacs and MacBook Pros without issue.  Another advantage is that the app runs in MS Windows on your Apple hardware.  MS Windows does not seem to be able to properly manage thermal load.

Recommend that you set up a custom control with a sensor based value using GPU Diode and set the start temp to 127F and max temp to 149F.

Edited by black_colt, Sep 07 2017 - 04:07.

black_colt #10 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 04:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Sep 06 2017 - 15:54, said:

I would STRONGLY advise you do NOT blow whatever ''up the vents''.

If you Mac shuts down after a few minutes, I would hope you have a backup of all your files somewhere as it might be a motherboard issue (since you mentionned overheating).

A visit to your nearest Apple store is definitively required, and the sooner the better.

Yes - never never never blow whatever [up the vents] - that is not a good idea on all-in-ones/portables regardless of the brand.

The SMC [System Management Controller] can also cause random issues.  It only takes a few minutes to reset and can [has for me] solved random fan issues.

Intel-based Apple branded hardware have built-it hardware diagnostics - just hold down a key and reboot and the system checks itself.  

So a visit to the nearest Apple Store is not always [definitively required]. 

Also OS X/macOS has a built-in backup system [Time Machine] so backing up is simple and effective - just plug in an external drive, OS X/macOS asks if you want to use as a Time Machine drive, just click on [Yes] and you are done.  Also you can do a full restore from your Time Machine backup without reinstalling the OS - just boot in Recovery and restore.

Edited by black_colt, Sep 07 2017 - 15:40.

sureshot47 #11 Posted Sep 07 2017 - 23:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29287 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
O.K guys thanks for all the advice. I looked at fan control at the app store,and all I could find was something called temperature gauge. I read through it and there is a free upgrade to temperature gauge pro that includes fan control,but you must still buy the basic temperature gauge for $24.99. I haven't done anything yet to solve this,as our power was down for the day. We upgraded to 100 amp service from 70 amp.This upgrade is required by law  in order to sell the house.Oh my operating system is OS X Yosimite.I will first try the advice about the SMC,it might solve the issue without buying anything. I'll keep you posted. Thanks once again people!

Fodder_2016 #12 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 00:58

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10899 battles

https://www.crystali...acs-fan-control

smh

black_colt #13 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 01:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postsureshot47, on Sep 07 2017 - 14:10, said:

O.K guys thanks for all the advice. I looked at fan control at the app store,and all I could find was something called temperature gauge. I read through it and there is a free upgrade to temperature gauge pro that includes fan control,but you must still buy the basic temperature gauge for $24.99. I haven't done anything yet to solve this,as our power was down for the day. We upgraded to 100 amp service from 70 amp.This upgrade is required by law  in order to sell the house.Oh my operating system is OS X Yosimite.I will first try the advice about the SMC,it might solve the issue without buying anything. I'll keep you posted. Thanks once again people!

Apologies - I forgot that it was not available through the App Store.

The link provided by Fodder_2016 is the correct one to the app - Macs Fan Control - that I have used for years.

Is there a reason that you are running OS X 10.10?  

My late 2013 27-inch iMac runs macOS [OS X 10.12 Sierra] and the WoT Mac Wrapper without issue.

IRC several users of the WoT Mac Wrapper have had difficulties solved when the OS was updated to at least OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

As you are trying several things would you please let the Forum know what worked/what did not work so that others with similar hardware can leverage your efforts?

Edited by black_colt, Sep 08 2017 - 01:39.

sureshot47 #14 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 22:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29287 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Hi all. I tried resetting the SMC to no avail. I played 4 games after the reset,and it shut down. So I purchased temperature gauge. I immediately started monitoring temps. Most upon opening the game were within the 40 45c range. After initiating a game temps climbed to the 50C range. So I turned the fan up manually to about 1/3 speed,and it seemed to stabilise temps. My last game was about 10 minutes ago,.It was an extended one,me  (T67) and an IKV 103 were the last guys standing on our team. The game ran almost 12 minutes,and I noticed at the end temps rose to about 60c. I won the game with 7 kills and 2k dmg,plus that holy grail masters badge.So far,so good. No crashes,no restarts.I may bump fan speed to the mid point,as temps around 60c are a little concerning to me. I suspect wot just simply drives the processors too hard.But perhaps I can still play,and keep an eye on temps. Oh I did discover a Mac keeper file in downloads. Unfortunately when we first bought this IMac,my wife thought we would need Mac Keeper so it got installed. I thought I had dug out all the files,but there might be one still buried somewhere,downloading updates for itself and covertly running in the back ground.I just noticed the temp at idle right now,with the game open are 60c. A footnote about local weather;Worst forest fires in British Columbia's history right now,air quality is very,very bad.Air temp outside has been around 28 34c. We dont always run the air condintioning,and the air circulation around my Mac isn't ideal. This might be contributing to internal temps.Oh,and yes we do have a years worth of apple care left.

sureshot47 #15 Posted Sep 08 2017 - 22:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29287 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View Postblack_colt, on Sep 08 2017 - 01:37, said:

Apologies - I forgot that it was not available through the App Store.

The link provided by Fodder_2016 is the correct one to the app - Macs Fan Control - that I have used for years.

Is there a reason that you are running OS X 10.10?  

My late 2013 27-inch iMac runs macOS [OS X 10.12 Sierra] and the WoT Mac Wrapper without issue.

IRC several users of the WoT Mac Wrapper have had difficulties solved when the OS was updated to at least OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

As you are trying several things would you please let the Forum know what worked/what did not work so that others with similar hardware can leverage your efforts?

It is worthy to note we have zero issues otherwise ,with our operating system or anything else. The shutting down ONLY occurs when playing wot. My son is free to play Minecraft,and many other games to his hearts content.A few weeks ago our iMac and iPad were both dragging at a snails pace,but a simple reboot of the wireless router soved that.Perhaps it's just bad coding brought to us by the clowns at WG..:)

black_colt #16 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 00:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postsureshot47, on Sep 08 2017 - 13:42, said:

It is worthy to note we have zero issues otherwise ,with our operating system or anything else. The shutting down ONLY occurs when playing wot. My son is free to play Minecraft,and many other games to his hearts content.A few weeks ago our iMac and iPad were both dragging at a snails pace,but a simple reboot of the wireless router soved that.Perhaps it's just bad coding brought to us by the clowns at WG..:)

Wargaming did not produce the WoT Mac Wrapper - CodeWeavers did.  And CodeWeavers are not clowns.  Just getting the game to run on OS X/macOS is nothing short of amazing.  

If you feel that there are issues with the WoT Mac Wrapper then raise a Support Ticket with CodeWeavers.

Isola_di_Fano #17 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 00:52

Major

• Players
  • 19912 battles

Hi Colt,

Just wondering, isn't 60 Celsius a bit on the high side of things.

No Mac expert but, but running at 60 for prolonged hours ?

black_colt #18 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 02:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Sep 08 2017 - 15:52, said:

Hi Colt,

Just wondering, isn't 60 Celsius a bit on the high side of things.

No Mac expert but, but running at 60 for prolonged hours ?

If the fans are running at full speed [60 C setting] constantly then you should reduce the graphics settings of the game, not block the vents, etc. - I do not experience that on a regular basis. It may take a bit to figure out the best balance for you.

In hindsight - I should have said [Start with these as they have worked for me - you may need to adjust those settings and the game graphics settings based on your conditions]

Apologies for that and for any confusion that it may have caused. 

I run Macs Fan Control as a preventative system in which I want the fans to come on early help stabilize the temp versus the fans suddenly going full-speed and the Mac throttling graphics performance to avoid the hardware overheating.

I run the game client at the highest graphics settings at all times and MODs - both of which stress the graphics system.

Edited by black_colt, Sep 09 2017 - 02:05.

sureshot47 #19 Posted Sep 25 2017 - 06:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29287 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Happy to report fan control has solved the issue. Now if only xvm would work so I could be an ignorant [edited]and not help players based on thier color...

black_colt #20 Posted Sep 25 2017 - 15:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postsureshot47, on Sep 24 2017 - 21:20, said:

Happy to report fan control has solved the issue. Now if only xvm would work so I could be an ignorant [edited]and not help players based on thier color...

Glad to hear that the issue was solved.

I suspect that XVM and other third-party mods are going to be blocked in later versions of the game.  

Wargaming already has a [Mods Portal] which is in alpha - which should serve as writing-on-the-wall for mod developers.  That is good and bad for players - good in that the mods will be compliant with the Fair Game Policy and should be stable - bad in that it may stifle/cause lags in new mods as the developer must get the mod approved to be posted on the [Mods Portal]

While I only have less than 4K games I have tested/run many mods and keep coming back to basically stock client - with the exception of the server reticle from Circonflexes - due to issues - e.g. mostly FPS performance - with mods. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users