Remove Arty from the Game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

Yankeegunner #41 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:36

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 27353 battles

View PostSteelRonin, on Sep 08 2017 - 19:37, said:

yeah, yeah, beating the dead horse or whatever those stupid jokes that you use.....actually, is not even close to be a "beating the dead horse" because we still have a chance to success and WG remove the entire class.

Yes, you don't get one-shot, but you are perma bombarded with 14 secs stun even in a miss shot...if you have 500 hp, you are going to die by arty hands. They aim much faster, the accuracy is even better, in 2 secs after being spotted you will die, they moved the entire hull, aimed at you in 2 secs.......

I remember the old days in wot where Bison tier 2 dominated low tiers and all the matches were arty versus arty..

Personally, I won't stop to support the idea of removing arty.

Don't go changing dude!

Omega_Weapon #42 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:43

Captain

• Players
  • 42224 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostHellseer, on Sep 08 2017 - 20:38, said:

Smaller or lighter tanks had the advantage that they were very hard for Artillery to hit. Especially when said tanks were moving. This was the ONE saving grace for playing paper Lights, TDs, and MTs. Those tanks can't really go into brawling spots specifically made for Heavy Tanks, because they don't have armor, HP, etc, etc. 

So then they change it to what they see now. They gave Artillery better RoF, Accuracy, Splash, and Stun. So what happens? Artillery all of a sudden becomes a god at taking out tanks that it had troubles before. Not only will they hit you more often, but they will fire faster, stun you, and catch you in situations they never would have dreamed of before. Also, one shots are still definitely possible against paper tanks. 

​Speed doesn't count for much if you are being predictable. The flight time for arty shells is ridiculously slow. If the arty player could accurately guess where you were going to be 5 seconds in the future, then you have only yourself to blame.

Andreas007 #43 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:47

Captain

• Players
  • 37934 battles

View PostFlaxin_Waxin, on Sep 08 2017 - 18:32, said:

I hate arty... don't get me wrong. But it's here, it's annoying, get used to it. I've been playing the game for under 1000 battles and I already realize it's just something to deal with. I even dabbled in a little arty to get inside the head of an artillery player. Now I get hit a lot less just by positioning myself in the right spots.

There are players with many more games than you that should heed this advice.

charley2222 #44 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:48

Captain

• Players
  • 28671 battles
my opinion  what make arty worst   is this view zoom this make arty so much accurate compare the old day  and the slow is just terrible for heavy and td one more tool  medium take advantage :(

Edited by charley2222, Sep 09 2017 - 21:48.

Omega_Weapon #45 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:49

Captain

• Players
  • 42224 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostGothraul, on Sep 08 2017 - 21:14, said:

Sky cancer is there for lazy and toxic players who want to make the game more toxic for everyone else and is an incredibly dumb game mechanic that can't be countered outright unlike other classes.

​You counter it by not getting hit. Arty has the worst accuracy and the slowest shell velocities. Its not that hard to avoid it or at least minimize its effects. Be arty aware and avoid being predictable. The danger of arty is actually pretty easy to counter if you think about it.

Omega_Weapon #46 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 21:52

Captain

• Players
  • 42224 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Postcharley2222, on Sep 09 2017 - 15:48, said:

my opinion  what make arty worst   is this view zoom this make arty so much accurate compare the old day  and the slow is just terrible for heavy and td one more tool  medium take advantage :(

​The alternate view is a gimmick. The original view gives all the same information, if you understand how to read it.

VooDooKobra #47 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 22:06

Major

• Players
  • 6572 battles
  • [1-185] 1-185

View PostKenshin2kx, on Sep 08 2017 - 18:19, said:

I'm okay with that ... and I propose the 'choice' of option boxes ... like Grand Battles.  That way, NO ONE is a hostage to another's selfish desire ... after all whats the point of play if you have to FORCE others to play with you?

interesting statement but how is someones desire to play arty any less selfish than wanting to have a checkbox to opt out of arty in your game?  if this was a game where players can set up their own servers like cod i could see that as an option but opt outs of classes do not belong in pubbie games

Edited by VooDooKobra, Sep 09 2017 - 22:06.

charley2222 #48 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 22:08

Captain

• Players
  • 28671 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Sep 09 2017 - 15:52, said:

​The alternate view is a gimmick. The original view gives all the same information, if you understand how to read it.

let just say overall  a lot of player my self include dont understand how to read it. too

the full potential and this results   to a overall lower accuracy for the player base , 

Thornir #49 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 23:06

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

View Postianizor1000, on Sep 09 2017 - 17:59, said:

​You act as though it was acceptable to be nuked for 1500 damage from across the map, over cover.

I am not the one complaining, then or now. You got hit hard, but not often, and you fussed. Now you get hit more often for next to nothing, and still fuss. 

You got got what you asked for, as a group (whiners) and now you be like, " you didn't nerf it out of existence", which is what you really wanted, but couldn't get - and you knew it. So now you get greater accuracy, higher rate of fire and the stun. You should have left well enough alone.  

Thornir #50 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 23:08

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on Sep 09 2017 - 21:43, said:

​Speed doesn't count for much if you are being predictable. The flight time for arty shells is ridiculously slow. If the arty player could accurately guess where you were going to be 5 seconds in the future, then you have only yourself to blame.

this is it, in a nutshell, right here. 

muddypuddle #51 Posted Sep 09 2017 - 23:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14588 battles

View PostAltwar, on Sep 09 2017 - 05:20, said:

We have a map named Desert?

Desert maps:

Airfield has hills in the middle and little hills near cap to maneuver and hide around.

El Halluf has a series of small hills to take cover on the 1 line and some that overlook the valley on both sides, plus there's limited cover in the form of a town in the middle of the valley as well as adjoining both caps

Sand River has the hills in the A9, A0, B9, B0 area.  There is the ravine that traverses between both caps in the middle and there's small hills that provide cover on the southern cap, with additional ravines around both south and north caps, plus there are sand dunes that can be used for limited cover in the southwest.

Was this what you were talking about?

Another moron, what a surprise its an arty player?

Sand river is also known as Desert - read the replay path/tag - if you can read that is

the hills you refer to are NOT for heavy tanks and the ravine provides no cover when it bottlenecks with heavies and the arty losers are free you bombard you

- I can clearly see your good at the game and know what your talking about, haha - another arty loser trying to defend a stupid broken mechanic because everyone else knows only the worst lazy players gravitate towards it

I have a good analogy for this game and arty players

the game is like a basketball game with 2 teams against each other, the arty players are not good enough to play on the court so they sit on the sidelines and throw rocks at the opposing players, only when the game has ended does the winning team get to go over and punch the arty losers in the face.

Edited by muddypuddle, Sep 09 2017 - 23:27.

Altwar #52 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 50337 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

View Postmuddypuddle, on Sep 09 2017 - 14:14, said:

Another moron, what a surprise its an arty player?

Sand river is also known as Desert - read the replay path/tag - if you can read that is

the hills you refer to are NOT for heavy tanks and the ravine provides no cover when it bottlenecks with heavies and the arty losers are free you bombard you

- I can clearly see your good at the game and know what your talking about, haha - another arty loser trying to defend a stupid broken mechanic because everyone else knows only the worst lazy players gravitate towards it

I have a good analogy for this game and arty players

the game is like a basketball game with 2 teams against each other, the arty players are not good enough to play on the court so they sit on the sidelines and throw rocks at the opposing players, only when the game has ended does the winning team get to go over and punch the arty losers in the face.

So because I play SPGs 4th most of the 5 classes, I'm an "arty player"?  How about calling me a WoT player, since I've thousands of battles in each class of tanks offered in the game and I play freely from class to class as I choose, just as the game was intended to play?  I don't have these hang ups about not playing aspects of the game others have disdain for.  I have an extensive garage with a depth of tanks in each class and tier and will play them as I like and enjoy the flexibility such depth brings.

Now aside from the numerous name calling instances directed my way, lets get to the name of the map.  It's called Sand River.   Nickname it all you like (since you seem so fond of spewing out names), but it is recommended that you articulate a map with the name given to it so that anyone reading through the chaff in your post can make sense of what you are trying to say.  There is cover in the manner of which I mentioned earlier and players make use of it with some degrees of success.  Having played on both sides of the map numerous times, in numerous classes, both SPG and against SPG, and witnessed and participated in many outcomes there, the areas I mention do provide cover for heavies provided they know how to use it and with the understanding that no cover is 100% safe, 100% of the time as battle matures and tanks move around, SPGs included.

Because contrary to your view, SPGs do move and relocate when needed to get a better shot on targets, the same as other classes. While this is not true of all players playing them (same as each and every class), it does happen and unless you realize that and play accordingly, then it may seem like there is no cover because you've not reacted to the battle that has evolved.   So your comment/question was, because you are clueless, where is the cover on the map?   Well now I've mentioned it yet again in hopes that you go beyond broad brushing a map you may see as cover-less and refocus and realize that there is indeed an abundance of cover on Sand River once you put aside the vitriol of the SPG class and look again with opened eyes.

poppavein #53 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 16:28

Captain

• Players
  • 23980 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
Light tanks are still getting 1 shotted. They didn't nerf premium arties.  God help you if all three arties focus on you. 

Thornir #54 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

View Postpoppavein, on Sep 10 2017 - 16:28, said:

Light tanks are still getting 1 shotted. They didn't nerf premium arties.  God help you if all three arties focus on you. 

used to be virtually any tank could be and it's still rare to get a full pen damage roll on a light tank. No they didn't nerf the leaf blower. They learned a hard lesson about nerfing premiums with the SP. and yeah, all three arty on you - when there ARE three - could be a problem, but if you are sitting still long enough for all three to shoot you - you're doing something wrong. 

Nonamanadus #55 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 24569 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

View Postpoppavein, on Sep 10 2017 - 15:28, said:

Even medium VIIIs facing two or three IX or X's discourages a guy from going after a hard to kill target. You beat back an IS-7 with a Lorraine 40T and next thing a rock from above takes 400 plus hit points off you. Might as well have air strikes put into the game to gimp it up more.

Arty punishes those who take an aggressive approach, those that hunker behind rocks & shelter come out after the carpet bombing to pick off the stragglers. From my observation arty rewards camping behind cover, not dynamic gameplay. 

_Kradok_ #56 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22830 battles
  • [LUL] LUL

View PostNonamanadus, on Sep 10 2017 - 11:19, said:

Even medium VIIIs facing two or three IX or X's discourages a guy from going after a hard to kill target. You beat back an IS-7 with a Lorraine 40T and next thing a rock from above takes 400 plus hit points off you. Might as well have air strikes put into the game to gimp it up more.

Arty punishes those who take an aggressive approach, those that hunker behind rocks & shelter come out after the carpet bombing to pick off the stragglers. From my observation arty rewards camping behind cover, not dynamic gameplay. 

...for me, it's totally dependant on which map/arty I'm playing as to my 1st aim, AND the early comms with (competent) lights.  If one med can hold down a flank, you bet your butt I'm shooting THAT med. That's common sense ... you should EXPECT to be targeted. 

BUT all of that is noise....every team has the same random probability to get 0-3 SPG's per game. I'd like it lowered to 2 total, but I play their game with minimal complaint and no desire to eliminate a class of pixel tank due to my feelings on it. It's been in the game since the beginning...if you're not used to it by now...you have larger issues than whining about a video game...

Let the usual (predictable) anti-arty whiners flame away.... I'll just ride out Irma and wait patiently until I can run my leFH, Bish and Bert again. 

poppavein #57 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 18:01

Captain

• Players
  • 23980 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

OP, you have to understand that not all Arties are cowards hiding in the back, but may have mental or physical handicaps preventing them from playing real tanks. 

Have some compassion for the handicapped. I assume all arty players are handicapped either mentally or physically. 

Edited by poppavein, Sep 10 2017 - 18:06.

Altwar #58 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 18:18

Major

• Players
  • 50337 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

View Postpoppavein, on Sep 10 2017 - 09:01, said:

OP, you have to understand that not all Arties are cowards hiding in the back, but may have mental or physical handicaps preventing them from playing real tanks. 

Have some compassion for the handicapped. I assume all arty players are handicapped either mentally or physically. 

A classic example of using insults, direct or indirectly inferred, to attempt to make a point when you have none to make.

Speaking of examples, we could use yours and apply that to those who would wish SPGs were gone.  Sitting in a location long enough for an SPG to hit you?  Unable to cope with all aspects of a game and wishing that part of it which doesn't agree with them to be gone?  Unable to formulate a stance without reaching for labels and insults in an attempt to cow others whose viewpoints differ?  Perhaps the assumption made could be applied to the person seen when you have a glance in the mirror?

SPGs existed before your account did.  If after all this time you still find them daunting to your game play, perhaps you should invest your time in WoT Blitz where you'll be more comfortable.  Much like those who play chess but don't like knights because of their non-standard move set and play checkers instead, WoT Blitz could be the checkers game you've been looking for.

Nonamanadus #59 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 18:42

Major

• Players
  • 24569 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

View Post_Kradok_, on Sep 10 2017 - 16:53, said:

...for me, it's totally dependant on which map/arty I'm playing as to my 1st aim, AND the early comms with (competent) lights.  If one med can hold down a flank, you bet your butt I'm shooting THAT med. That's common sense ... you should EXPECT to be targeted. 

BUT all of that is noise....every team has the same random probability to get 0-3 SPG's per game. I'd like it lowered to 2 total, but I play their game with minimal complaint and no desire to eliminate a class of pixel tank due to my feelings on it. It's been in the game since the beginning...if you're not used to it by now...you have larger issues than whining about a video game...

Let the usual (predictable) anti-arty whiners flame away.... I'll just ride out Irma and wait patiently until I can run my leFH, Bish and Bert again. 

Agreed.

I think one arty per team is enough, especially if you are bottom tier and they are two above otherwise the balance gets too distorted. It be like having to deal with 6 Maus verses your Tiger II, right off the start you start camping because you have to wait for an opportunity. You hope your team softens them up so you can go on the offensive. One Maus you can afford to venture forth because the balance is still good for that bottom tier.

And to be honest three arty tend to focus fire pretty effective and there is no counter to that other than sitting in the back, especially if you are in a slower tank.

Altwar #60 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 18:57

Major

• Players
  • 50337 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

View PostNonamanadus, on Sep 10 2017 - 09:42, said:

And to be honest three arty tend to focus fire pretty effective and there is no counter to that other than sitting in the back, especially if you are in a slower tank.

Be honest:  there is a counter.  Cover, concealment, and use of maneuverability.  IMO, there are quite a few players who want to play World of Pillboxes and just slug it out and withdraw to cover when they get the worst of an exchange.  In games where there are 3 SPGs and movement is cautious, SPGs can focus and hit targets because they aren't making much of an effort to be elusive.  When movement is aggressive with judicious use of cover, and concealment, it is harder for SPGs to focus effectively and become far less dangerous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users