VK 45.03 -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Thylacoleo #1 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 07:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 9765 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

I've heard people say that the VK 45.03 is a trash tank. And simultaneously, I've had a unicum player tell me that the VK 45.03 is a fantastic tank. To me, tier 7 is kind of an awkward tier. In particular, tier 7 tanks seem pretty odd. I never did very well in tier 7. My first one was the Tiger Porsche, which in all honesty I got when I still barely understood the mechanics of the game. So of course, I did very poorly in it. My next tier 7 was the SP I C, which I did... eh. Still pretty bad I suppose. But I still barely understood mechanics by that time. My third tier 7 I believe was my Tiger I, which by that time I actually did have a much better grasp of how the game worked so I did better in that.

Even then, I have sort of avoided tier 7 after that... and yet I bought myself the Panther/M10. I don't do horribly in that, but could be better. I'm not a very good medium tank player anyway with some exceptions? Anyway, more recently I bought myself the VK 45.03. Even after a few people warned me not to touch that tank. And here's the thing: I don't understand why some people said to avoid buying it. As far as tier 7 goes, I have been doing way better in that tank than any of my other tier 7s thus far. Hell, in my fifth battle in the tank, I bloody aced the thing!

Just check out the review from Guido1212 (The battle which I have aced but even so I was sloppy-ish):

Even in bottom tier, I do really well in this tank. I play it very similarly to my beloved VK 45.02 A, except I play even better than that tier 8 tank that I once owned and loved. 45.03 doesn't seem quite as mobile but almost. Not super reliable armour but I can get some surprising bounces, even against tier 8s (although the turret is still pretty vulnerable). The gun handling is amazing. Second best DPM compared to even the top gunned Tiger I, although with a fair crew and the right equipment, the DPM is actually very manageable. All in all, I really do love this tank and is my new favourite as far as tier 7 goes and it's also decent with money making, too! Is this tank OP? Maybe. I do not know, but certainly not on the level like an E 25. Even so, OP or Not, this tank feels just right for me. I have no idea why people called this tank trash, but perhaps the fact that I also have improved a lot since playing this game may also be a contributing factor to my enhanced positive experience with this tank.

http://wotreplays.eu...acoleo-vk_45_03 Hell, I can even act as an improvised spotter and still kick some butt in this tank. If you are curious, that is a link to one of my better (but not best) uncritiqued gameplay in bottom tier. I've done 1.9k spotting in that as well as other acceptable battle performance, especially considering I was bottom tier.

TankFullOfBourbon #2 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 09:14

Major

• Players
  • 35855 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
The VK45.03 is a very good tank, I agree, and the fact that it's tier 7 is a positive these days. Just goes to show that you cant trust all negativism towards tanks in this forum. Make your own opinion.

wilperkie #3 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 12:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 9949 battles
I first had this tank as a free "rental", liked it so much that I bought it afterwards, a stretch for me because I don't have a lot of "paid for" Premiums in my garage. I like the mobility compared to my other heavies, and the gun is excellent, as are the credits you can make with it. Map position is everything with this tank - it's not a brawler, and my best games have been when you find that sweet spot where you can duck in and out of cover and pick off the enemy's HP, and try to keep moving ahead as needed. For me, it plays a bit like a cross between a medium and a TD, which I play a lot of. I can understand how some heavies players would not like this tank.

philb990 #4 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 16:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 40638 battles

It was my first premium tank and my first 2 MOE.

the gun is good, i use prammo, the armor not so much. You have to be careful

besides that i think it's a.good tank

Prediator #5 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 18:35

Captain

• Players
  • 32386 battles
I love mine I think it's a pretty good tank but it's got basic limitations: the armor is not great, good guns okay but not good DPM, it can't mount vertical stabilizers, and it can do almost nothing against the Japanese heavys because it's premium rounds are trash... but just like the vk45 a you can fight okay-ish against mediums

_Brew_ #6 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:21

Major

• Players
  • 30867 battles

I won one of these during one of the WGLNA finals streaming events and have found it to be a decent tank.  Pretty middle-of-the-road.  Not overpowered, but not so bad that it hurts to play.  You can side scrape in it with the 80mm side armor, but you won't bounce much of anything else.

My biggest recommendation for an improvement is to see the DPM increased to be closer to the Tiger I.  Second is to have the frontal armor a little thicker so you have a chance to at least bounce Tier V and VI guns.

Another thing to note is that this tank recently had its credits earning multiplier increased 15%, so it is about as profitable as running a Tier 8 premium.

Markd73 #7 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:25

Major

• Players
  • 36671 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA
I am glad some people like the VK. I was bot level bad (sub 40% winrate) so I sold it on a trade in for my ravioli

Nonamanadus #8 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 21:19

Major

• Players
  • 39005 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

Sometimes a person's playstyle will mesh nicely with a particular tank, other times they fight it and do horribly. The VK is not a bad tank, not the best either but if you understand it, it becomes a good tank. 

The player's skill is what makes or breaks it.

vielfrab #9 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 13:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 10307 battles

View Postwilperkie, on Sep 10 2017 - 12:37, said:

Map position is everything with this tank - it's not a brawler, and my best games have been when you find that sweet spot where you can duck in and out of cover and pick off the enemy's HP, and try to keep moving ahead as needed. For me, it plays a bit like a cross between a medium and a TD, which I play a lot of. I can understand how some heavies players would not like this tank.

^^ This.  I imagine those who consider this tank trash are those who came into it with a particular expectation of its role and how it should be played.  It's classed as a heavy but is anything but.  Those players who can empty their minds of expectations will find the VK 45.03 to be a beautiful lady.  You have to adapt your playstyle to her, not force your playstyle on to her.

I am still very much learning the VK 45.03, but I have had her long enough to get a sense of the style.

As someone who has played a lot of the VK 30.01 I feel reasonably comfortable with that tanks playstyle here.  The primary rule in this tank is to not be EVER caught in the open.  You have neither the armor nor the mobility to get out of a bad position.  You need to manage your position carefully to maximize your firing angles on the enemy, but limit their angles on you (similar to a TD).  Use bushes and hard cover, as well as map lanes well and you will succeed in this tank. You can brawl in a pinch, but not for long.  It's not a tank for sustained peekaboom, but it also doesn't have the DPM to be a sniper.  In the first case you will die early, and in the second you will not contribute enough to the battle.  You have to pay attention to the map and play a fine balance between caution and aggression.  The best battles I have had are those in which I have leveraged BOTH her excellent gun handling AND her heavy's hit point pool towards my team's success.

Trigger_Happy_Jax #10 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 14:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32269 battles
  • [STK-R] STK-R
Tanks are like puppies. Some people will find a pure breed that is the best dog in the world.  While others will find a mutt that is the best dog in the world. Tank stats are not everything.  It all depends on how you react to the "feel" of the tank you are playing.

Trigger_Happy_Jax #11 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 14:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32269 battles
  • [STK-R] STK-R
Doubled post :/

SteelWeazel #12 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 15:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38139 battles
  • [DRB] DRB
Loved VK A was one of my better tanks I played, been wanting to get the tier 7 for a while now it fits my play style, enjoyed the mobility of a fast heavy good DPM ok HP and enemy teams surprised to see a heavy in a med location early game.

teamoldmill #13 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 15:12

Major

• Players
  • 16814 battles
  • [FECAL] FECAL

All tanks can snipe.

But most tanks can do more than snipe.

Trash tank.

1919Eternal #14 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 19:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 66768 battles
  • [PRO_S] PRO_S
I like it a lot, it really does have a great gun.

Trauglodyte #15 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 20:40

Major

• Players
  • 28690 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
I don't think that it is a bad tank but I just wonder what the point is when the it is nothing more than a slower Tiger I with sloped armor, less agility, less speed, and a slower gun.

UnitG2 #16 Posted Nov 25 2017 - 23:36

Captain

• Players
  • 41118 battles
  • [88MPH] 88MPH

View PostTrauglodyte, on Nov 25 2017 - 11:40, said:

I don't think that it is a bad tank but I just wonder what the point is when the it is nothing more than a slower Tiger I with sloped armor, less agility, less speed, and a slower gun.

Its the prettiest tank in the game you silly bunt.

Nehalim #17 Posted Nov 26 2017 - 02:31

Major

• Players
  • 39713 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

its an absolute pile of [edited]. its only good in prolonged games where you can sit in 1 spot and take shots at tanks without getting shot back. 

the tank is crapbecause:

- alpha is meh. 

- slow as [edited]. actually more painful than the super pershing

- totally no armor whatsoever.

those 3 things make it a venerable piece of [edited]

the good:

- its sexy! 

- its fast on paper (LOL)

- gun is not bad at all... 

- not bad view range

vielfrab #18 Posted Nov 26 2017 - 02:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 10307 battles

View Postteamoldmill, on Nov 25 2017 - 15:12, said:

All tanks can snipe.

​LOL

vielfrab #19 Posted Nov 26 2017 - 02:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 10307 battles

View PostViserion_Dies, on Nov 26 2017 - 02:31, said:

its an absolute pile of [edited]. its only good in prolonged games where you can sit in 1 spot and take shots at tanks without getting shot back. 

I'm doing very well in it and I've only had it a few days.  I almost never sit back and snipe, but rather find I can do a little of everything, even flank.  Getting solid damage and a few carries..makes very good credits.  Most importantly it's a lot of fun!  With time I should be doing better and better.

Edited by vielfrab, Nov 26 2017 - 03:20.

teamoldmill #20 Posted Nov 26 2017 - 04:32

Major

• Players
  • 16814 battles
  • [FECAL] FECAL

View Postvielfrab, on Nov 26 2017 - 01:44, said:

​LOL

Name one that cannot. KV-2 can snipe.

When someone says a tank is good because they can sit back and snipe, you know it is bad. When said tank is a heavy, you know it is worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users