• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

Markd73 #41 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:16

Major

• Players
  • 28621 battles
  • [AOS] AOS

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 10 2017 - 14:11, said:

Wow, I ground my way up to Tier IX and got an E75, then ground that to get the top gun upgrade and what have I found so far?  The gun is useless unless I pay to win and most of the players are totally useless.  I have come across so far, just about every game I have tried playing, I get stuck with every screen licking, glue sniffing, crayon eating, morons that have surprised me.  I really thought that if players had the tenacity to stick with the game and get to Tier IX that their quality of playing would be far superior, however, I am finding that their are the proportion of morons are even higher than at lower tiers.

Now if this upsets your primitive little world, feel free to cry in your cornflakes.  I dont care about stats or how bad a player I am compared with you.  When it comes to game play, I am no worse that any of the morons found in these high level games.

Basil

A pre-emptive Ad Hominem makes you appear thin skinned to criticism, and diminishes your credibility. 

Markd73 #42 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:21

Major

• Players
  • 28621 battles
  • [AOS] AOS

View PostUrabouttudie, on Sep 10 2017 - 15:28, said:

Typical BS Wargaming forum troll response...ignore the OP's entirely relevant point because of stats...

The OP made the point that the player base's skill level does not increase with tier advancement. This is entirely true. It makes no difference whether the OP "gits gud" as all of you are clamoring to response in predictable fashion....regardless whether he improves, the point he makes is still valid.

And it IS an issue...there is no end game content to strive for in this game. There is absolutely no valid reason, outside of personal satisfaction, for improving at this game. You are not rewarded in any fashion and are generally singled out in-game and targeted more often simply due to the fact that you hare the better player on a given team.

So all you guys poo poo the OP's stats instead of acknowledging his point while people keep moving on to other games...

stay classy!

No the issue is not his stats but his pre-emptive Ad Hominem and general animosity to others.

Edited by Markd73, Sep 10 2017 - 20:22.

TheGipper22 #43 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:35

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24038 battles
  • [SXN-8] SXN-8

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 10 2017 - 06:11, said:

......  When it comes to game play, I am no worse that any of the morons found in these high level games.

Basil

LOL -- I can say the same for myself :

I play like a moron at Tier 9 and 10 

I don't find myself complaining about other players at the same level that I am ruining the game at that level... that would seem well ... almost more deranged than merely hypocritical

PS -  I tend to limit how many games I do play at tier 9 and 10 out of respect for other players.

PSS -  I was far more of a moron when I first started playing the game - although I'm still a moron at tier 10 -- I've managed to recently play my most recent tier 9 tank, the M103, at at 1033 WN8 which I think puts me in the meh minus group .. a bit above moron  

PSS --  There is hope for you if you try to learn and read some tutorials and watch some videos  -  I"m an optomist and there is hope for everyone! 

(although you have a below 400 WN8 in 3/4 tanks that you have the most games in (at tiers 7, 6, and 5) -- you REALLY need to read some tutorials)

Edited by TheGipper22, Sep 10 2017 - 20:37.

Peak_Bagger #44 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:53

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9469 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostRocketmandb, on Sep 10 2017 - 17:43, said:

OP, I'd suggest that if you're looking to get better, coming to the forums and bemoaning all the morons that exist in upper tiers is not the way to do it. However, I will say that you are correct. There are a lot of morons that play this game. At upper tiers you get a higher percentage of better players, and fewer morons, but they do exist.

Now, I looked at your stats, and I'm going to make some observations. Some may sound harsh, or berating, but that is not the intent.

- First, your overall win rate is very poor at 46.6%. However, your recent win rate is approaching the server average. You're not quite there (47.9%), but your win rate has been going up. Right now, however, you are a detriment to your team in comparison to the average player.

- Your most played tank is also one of your worst (Tiger). As a matter of fact, you are very bad in the Tiger. Your win rate is only 43%. You manage less than a kill every two games, and your average damage per game is only 523, meaning you're averaging roughly 1/3 of your hit points in damage dealt. This needs to be much higher. Why is this tank so bad for you? More on that in a second.

- Your best played tank is the PzB2. You have a 51.78% win rate in it, and more than one kill per game. First off, stop playing this tank. Because it's always top tier, and is decently well armored, it breeds bad habits. It has a low damage, high rate of fire gun, so you don't tend to peek-a-boo with it. Rather, you pull up, start shooting, and rely on your armor to keep you alive longer than the guy you're shooting at. This type of play is 100% not what you want to do as you go up in tiers. Again, stop playing it, and stop playing other heavy tanks as if you're playing the B2. This is likely one of the reasons why you're so bad at the Tiger. The Tiger has no armor. You're likely pulling out to shoot your fast firing gun, sitting there, and getting owned. Also, I'd recommend for right now to stop playing the Tiger as well. It is not a forgiving tank when played incorrectly.

- To back up the above assertion, let's look at other tanks similar to the B2, as well as opposite to it. You're better at the O-I and T29, Both have good armor and are much more forgiving. Tanks you're quite bad at include the aforementioned Tiger, Vk3601, PzIV, Leo, M6, Strv74, T-28, DW-2. None of those have much, if any, armor to speak of.

So, my guess is that you tend to push out to get shots off without much care if you get shot back. If there was one thing I'd tell you to concentrate on, it's to be far more cautious when move to take a shot. Think about where the enemy tanks are, and what tanks are going to be shooting you if you move. The longer you survive, the more shots you get. The more shots, the more damage you do. The more damage, the more you help your team win.

Rocketman, I have to say, this is a fantastic analysis of a player through his stats. I've been playing the B2 a lot lately, since it's always fun to be top tier. But I should probably be playing it less. And what you say about the OP and the Tiger, you could have been talking about me. Kudos to you for taking the time to do such a review and summary. Thanks!

TheGipper22 #45 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 20:59

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 24038 battles
  • [SXN-8] SXN-8

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 10 2017 - 06:40, said:

I am not saying I am a genius.  What I was hoping for was to find the geniuses at this level to teach me.  A major disappointment.

Just because you have close to 9,000 games doesn't mean the Newbies forum doesn't have a LOT to offer you.

The newcomers forum is dedicated to helping new players improve with frequent posters there eager to give that advice -

follow the threads there

ask for advice there.

BE SURE to read the linked guides in pinned posts and threads first

8bit_Gamer #46 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 22:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13955 battles

View Post_Tsavo, on Sep 10 2017 - 14:42, said:

this attitude will prevent you from improving and doom you to forever be a poor player

This is the best info you can get. No amount of replay reviews or mentoring will help if you have a poor attitude. 

North_Flank_1 #47 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 23:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 19746 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
I mean same can be said to the Skoda t50 ant Tvp. Both lack pen yet you still see players doing 4k+ damage. Reason you ask? Positioning and actually taking the time to learn the weakspots of certain tanks. Maybe if you actually consult the armor values of tanks you might get somewhere with the e75. I never struggled with that tank, I mean I even 3 marked it. Its one of the best tier 9's.

North_Flank_1 #48 Posted Sep 10 2017 - 23:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 19746 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Poor play, poor results. Thats what it comes down to.

Edited by North_Flank_1, Sep 10 2017 - 23:38.

RLBell #49 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 00:34

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17632 battles
  • [DHO] DHO

View PostNiteDog, on Sep 10 2017 - 07:13, said:

Familiar Quote?

"It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you are surrounded by Turkeys... "

This is actually wrong, but it does point to an unacknowledged truism:

You do not get a Radley-Walters (or any Epic) medal because you are good (although being good helps), but because everybody else sucked and your team mates were no better than the enemy.  My most epic match in the Matilda was ten kills and a Kolobanov's medal on Himmelsdorf, because the other fourteen players on my team only managed a combined kill total of five before getting wiped out.  I was lucky to also have five kills of my own by this time, as it meant that I was only up against five enemies by myself.  It only sunk in how bad things had gotten when I noticed one team had 14 kills and there were two reds on my minimap.

You need to be good to do well, but epic performances require everyone else to be bad.

Rocketmandb #50 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 03:37

Captain

• Players
  • 47417 battles
  • [CARTE] CARTE

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Sep 10 2017 - 19:53, said:

Rocketman, I have to say, this is a fantastic analysis of a player through his stats. I've been playing the B2 a lot lately, since it's always fun to be top tier. But I should probably be playing it less. And what you say about the OP and the Tiger, you could have been talking about me. Kudos to you for taking the time to do such a review and summary. Thanks!

Thanks Peak. I'm about to send you a PM.

the_Deadly_Bulb #51 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 03:50

Major

• Players
  • 18433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Man the forum can be a lot of laughs.

Thanks Basil. This thread made my day.

Good stuff Rocketmandb :honoring:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Sep 11 2017 - 03:54.

Vladamir_Inhaler #52 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 04:46

Captain

• Players
  • 53801 battles
  • [AC_DC] AC_DC

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 10 2017 - 23:41, said:

Wow, I ground my way up to Tier IX and got an E75, then ground that to get the top gun upgrade and what have I found so far?  The gun is useless unless I pay to win and most of the players are totally useless.  I have come across so far, just about every game I have tried playing, I get stuck with every screen licking, glue sniffing, crayon eating, morons that have surprised me.  I really thought that if players had the tenacity to stick with the game and get to Tier IX that their quality of playing would be far superior, however, I am finding that their are the proportion of morons are even higher than at lower tiers.

Now if this upsets your primitive little world, feel free to cry in your cornflakes.  I dont care about stats or how bad a player I am compared with you.  When it comes to game play, I am no worse that any of the morons found in these high level games.

Basil

^Cries into his cornflakes. "Do as I say, not as I do" apparently...

heavymetal1967 #53 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 04:50

Major

• Players
  • 60091 battles

This thread seems a fitting place to leave this.  Just sayin'...

Peak_Bagger #54 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 07:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9469 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostRocketmandb, on Sep 11 2017 - 03:37, said:

Thanks Peak. I'm about to send you a PM.

That was awesome stuff, Rocketman! I do hope the OP at least takes the time to review the hugely valuable info you've provided to him in this thread. His loss if he doesn't. Thanks again!

BasilBarfly01 #55 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 07:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11721 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

Ok, I will try to dumb it down even more so all you critics about how bad I am can understand that I am only one player in a team.  Understand that?  Ok.  Point 2 is that I got to Tier IX because I played.  Badly or brilliantly I am only as good as the team I am on.  I trust you understand those words.  Now, as for getting better, a number of players have gone through my profile with a fine tooth comb telling me which tanks are bad for me and which are good for me and how I should be playing so much better before I get to the top tier.

Trying to explain to all of you is that I don't care.  I was saying I was disappointed at the quality of all you 'experts' when I finally got to the top tier to play.    With all this advice that everyone has offered, I would have expected that a top tier game would last nearly the full fifteen minutes or at least go to where its between one or two tanks left to win.  No.  What I have found so far, is that the experts do a number of things:-

1.  Camp at base.  Ooppps, AFK, is the battle still going?  Oh, we are winning, let me go and kill all the lame ducks for you.

2.  Race ahead on their own, then get shot, scream for help, get killed and abuse all the team members for not helping.

3.  Get out of my way, this is my spot, 

4.  Blasted for being a noob in a high level game.

5.  Blasted for asking for some help

6.  Silence.  No cooperation at all.

Finally, I think, after all this, it really just boils down to one thing:  Luck

95% Luck 5% skill.

If you are stuck in a bad team, no matter how much you want to fight and your team gets massacred, there is little you can do about it.

On the other hand, if you are lucky enough to be on a team that works like an armoured fist carving up all opposition, then there is also little you can do about it.

I do enjoy playing the lower tier tanks.  I think I will leave the top tier stuff for the x2 daily rewards, but at the end of the day, I just want to have fun.  playing so many hours, I actually calculated how long one player had been playing for.  He had some 52k of battles which was 143 days of 24 hour play.  Really?  I mean, sure its fun and the time slips away, but honestly, get a life.  Remember what sunshine is.  Meet people socially for a drink or cup of coffee.  Find a life partner.  

Basil

BasilBarfly01 #56 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 07:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11721 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

View PostRLBell, on Sep 11 2017 - 09:04, said:

This is actually wrong, but it does point to an unacknowledged truism:

You do not get a Radley-Walters (or any Epic) medal because you are good (although being good helps), but because everybody else sucked and your team mates were no better than the enemy.  My most epic match in the Matilda was ten kills and a Kolobanov's medal on Himmelsdorf, because the other fourteen players on my team only managed a combined kill total of five before getting wiped out.  I was lucky to also have five kills of my own by this time, as it meant that I was only up against five enemies by myself.  It only sunk in how bad things had gotten when I noticed one team had 14 kills and there were two reds on my minimap.

You need to be good to do well, but epic performances require everyone else to be bad.

I love it.  Thats how I got my Kolobanov medal.

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #57 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:04

Major

• Players
  • 45176 battles
  • [BEAUT] BEAUT

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 11 2017 - 01:44, said:

Finally, I think, after all this, it really just boils down to one thing:  Luck

95% Luck 5% skill.

If you continue to believe in these numbers, you have virtually zero chance of improving.

There is MOST CERTAINLY an element of luck involved in the game.  RNG, MM, etc. are all driven by the expectation of randomness associated with the distribution across a large set of opportunities.  There have been some pseudo-test-cases where accounts were essentially AFK and still capable of 46%.  In other words, even if you did nothing, large number distribution would land you at 46% or thereabouts.  Taking that thought to another point, you might speculate that someone who is consistently below 46% is actually doing something that is WORSE than being AFK.  On the other extreme, there have been instances where players have documented, with replays and data, periods where they played 100s of games, 100% non-Tier-Ten and were able to solo-pub games with a win rate near 70%.

So, if you are playing solo, and if you don't do silly things, RNG and Luck can probably carry an account to 45%.  At the other end of the spectrum, someone who is extremely gifted at the game and was committed to winning at the cost any other metric, might be able to achieve 70%.  Where you land, in between 45% and 70% ... that 25% grey area, is the un-arguable impact your skill has on the battle results.

TRK213_Turkey #58 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5646 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostNiteDog, on Sep 10 2017 - 15:13, said:

Familiar Quote?

"It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you are surrounded by Turkeys... "

Hay! I resemble that remark!

Slatherer #59 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:22

Major

• Players
  • 29270 battles
Many years ago, a new employee, very full of himself, started suggesting we needed more people like him working on the lot.

His name was Ron.

I told him we didn't need more of him.

We didn't need more Rons.

He said we did, we needed more Rons at work.

We argued for quite a while admidst my co- workers hysterical laughter.

Point is, morons don't know who they are or what they are saying.  The only thing left is entertainment value.

strenfoo #60 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11872 battles
  • [C_NTS] C_NTS

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 11 2017 - 00:44, said:

I was saying I was disappointed at the quality of all you 'experts' when I finally got to the top tier to play

So the point of this thread is that you don't like it when your team is filled with players of your skill level?  Ok, got it.

If you want more experts in your team, then become one yourself.

View PostBasilBarfly01, on Sep 11 2017 - 00:44, said:

I just want to have fun

So does everyone else.  Playing for fun and playing to win are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by strenfoo, Sep 11 2017 - 15:38.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users