• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Altwar #21 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 50396 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 11 2017 - 05:31, said:

Nope arty is part of the game so the special needs kids, who cannot play real tanks, have a tank class. That is the reason WG had to build 2 special mods for the poor little dears in the SPGs. I am surprised they don't just follow their reasoning to its logical conclusion and build a click mod that tells the short bus kids in their SPGS when to click.

Spoken like a checkers player trying to play chess and unhappy that some pieces have different move sets that you are unable to account for.  Let me point out that WoT Blitz has an environment just for you!  No SPGs there so you don't have to be unhappy or associate other players as special needs cases just because of your inability to adapt and overcome.

Winterpeger #22 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:31

Captain

• Players
  • 49873 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 11 2017 - 07:37, said:

Except that real WW2 arty would have almost no chance to actually direct hit a tank. It was an area effect weapon. In WG version Arty is a super accurate sniper with overhead satellite spotters.

IF WG would remove all the special arty mods it has to give the special needs kids in their SPGS, you might have a point.

So if arty is a super accurate sniper .. why is your hit ratio in arty 33% or less.  

Altwar #23 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:32

Major

• Players
  • 50396 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 11 2017 - 05:37, said:

Except that real WW2 arty would have almost no chance to actually direct hit a tank. It was an area effect weapon. In WG version Arty is a super accurate sniper with overhead satellite spotters.

IF WG would remove all the special arty mods it has to give the special needs kids in their SPGS, you might have a point.

This is an arcade game, not a tank simulator.  The next time you get into a battle and notice Allied and Axis tanks on each side of the battle, this will give you an early indication about things not being real.  Real tanks flipping over incapacitate or even kill crew; no such worries about that in this game.  Real WW2 tank crews can't detect opposing tank types through solid walls just because of proximity.  They can in this game.  Real tank crews in WW2 couldn't fix a tank track in seconds, but within World of Tanks, a press of the button does the trick.  In WW2, buildings were reduced to rubble by heavy weapons fire.  In this arcade game, there are buildings that wouldn't even display a single mark if 2 teams combined decided to focus their fire on it.  Lastly, in the real world, drawing a red line in the sand or any other geological feature doesn't deter an armored force from progressing if they wish to.  In this GAME, a red line will stop a tank cold, allowing no more than maybe half a tank length to push on top of it.

So what is this nonsense about "real WW2" anything again?

Winterpeger #24 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:35

Captain

• Players
  • 49873 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostAltwar, on Sep 11 2017 - 08:32, said:

This is an arcade game, not a tank simulator.  The next time you get into a battle and notice Allied and Axis tanks on each side of the battle, this will give you an early indication about things not being real.  Real tanks flipping over incapacitate or even kill crew; no such worries about that in this game.  Real WW2 tank crews can't detect opposing tank types through solid walls just because of proximity.  They can in this game.  Real tank crews in WW2 couldn't fix a tank track in seconds, but within World of Tanks, a press of the button does the trick.  In WW2, buildings were reduced to rubble by heavy weapons fire.  In this arcade game, there are buildings that wouldn't even display a single mark if 2 teams combined decided to focus their fire on it.  Lastly, in the real world, drawing a red line in the sand or any other geological feature doesn't deter an armored force from progressing if they wish to.  In this GAME, a red line will stop a tank cold, allowing no more than maybe half a tank length to push on top of it.

:teethhappy:  they only want to point to real world when it comes to arty

Komitadjie #25 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1263 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View PostWinterpeger, on Sep 11 2017 - 15:35, said:

:teethhappy:  they only want to point to real world when it comes to arty

Not even that, because we were closer to real world before the changes. Lol

Winterpeger #26 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 15:48

Captain

• Players
  • 49873 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostKomitadjie, on Sep 11 2017 - 08:35, said:

Not even that, because we were closer to real world before the changes. Lol

:teethhappy:

ARCNA442 #27 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 19:41

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9346 battles
  • [SAVE] SAVE
If you think arty needs to be in the game because "realism" than we really need towed antitank guns with 80%+ camo ratings - after all, they were the real threat to tanks in WWII. Oh, and infantry with Panzerfaust / Bazookas that you can't spot until after they fire. WoT is a tank game and should be limited to tanks.

Kenshin2kx #28 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 20:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 16050 battles

View PostAltwar, on Sep 11 2017 - 04:32, said:

Actually true ... the game caters to the arcade crowd in many ways ... thing is,  most of these arcade elements are universal in user application by the totality of the player base ... so as an 'arcade' sin, its mandated and embraced by all as potential users.  So (to use the examples you provide)  the danger of tanks flipping over = all vehicles ... (detecting tank types i.e. red outline this IMO should go or be modified), instafix tracks =  all, ressurect the dead = all, indestructable structures affect = all, red line = all.  

So, I do agree, get rid of the red outline and rely on trees falling, actual sighting, rustling bushes etc.  ... but also in this vein, get rid of arty god sighting and the consequent accuracy (in exchange for actual shell lethality but coordinate aimed and limited TD capacity).  In fact, make arty an off map resource like Strongholds and make arty into a hybrid TD (per the limits of the actual vehicle in practice and usage documentation).

Edited by Kenshin2kx, Sep 11 2017 - 20:09.

Kenshin2kx #29 Posted Sep 11 2017 - 20:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 16050 battles

View PostWinterpeger, on Sep 11 2017 - 04:31, said:

So if arty is a super accurate sniper .. why is your hit ratio in arty 33% or less.  

... to be fair, in an actual artillery context arty would by indirect fire squarely hit a stationary tank sized target probably less than 2% of the time and a moving target far less (and never by intention)  ... so gracing to a very generous 4%, by comparison 33 hits (give or take) out a hundred is VASTLY better than the optimistic 4 out of a 100...  Add also that its not that uncommon for arty in wot to have even higher hit percentages.  

Edited by Kenshin2kx, Sep 11 2017 - 20:49.

sergeantmine09 #30 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 20:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10918 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostPFCWilliams, on Sep 11 2017 - 05:21, said:

Tier 8 Su-14-2 hit my Grille 15 for 1,167 in a single shot and hit an AMX 30 b for 1000 plus in the same match.

Tier 8 doing 1000+ damage to tier 10's.....

Please tell me more how arty has been..."nerfed".

Grille 15 has aluminum foil for a turret. That is true physics. A howitzer of 105mm caliber OR MORE going through that and doing max damage. Honestly artillery was fine before, but everyone was complaining about how arty utilized their(the players complaining) poor placement on the map as a way to get an easy frag.

Edited by sergeantmine09, Sep 12 2017 - 20:44.

sergeantmine09 #31 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 20:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10918 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostKomitadjie, on Sep 11 2017 - 15:01, said:

Just got my GW Panther and tracks last night, gonna pick up the top gun on it today! If I (sadly unlikely) see ya in game, I'll give ya a friendly tap on the turret to say hello! :D

Comrade HHOUR, do not give such mercy. Obliterate him, send his tank into the next dimension with one shot

Guardian00 #32 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 21:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 46021 battles
  • [FOAD] FOAD

View PostPFCWilliams, on Sep 11 2017 - 05:21, said:

Tier 8 Su-14-2 hit my Grille 15 for 1,167 in a single shot and hit an AMX 30 b for 1000 plus in the same match.

Please tell me more how arty has been..."nerfed".

Your in the wrong place to be asking that question partner or making that statement, this forum is nothing but trolls who've been here for years because they do not contribute anything but chit responses as you see.

Chalybos #33 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 21:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21375 battles

View PostWinterpeger, on Sep 11 2017 - 09:31, said:

You're waaaaaay off in that - the 33% is from 1 battle in tier 2.  It gets much better after that.  

But hey, it's laser accurate, right? ;)

black_irish666 #34 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 21:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 777 battles

If it wasn't for arty I wouldn't play this game. 

Strokes are bad...

Stop dissing my fun...

Hurk #35 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 46587 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

View Postgreenivanof, on Sep 11 2017 - 04:34, said:

His point is that a tier 8 arty will consistently pen a grille for 1000+ 

When I was doing my arty missions I did that on a regular bases which is not the purpose of arty. For ages, we have been hearing from WG that arty is in the game to punish heavily armored players that are in strong positions (e.g. hull down). Then after the arty rework, arty's purpose became to hit large groups of tanks to prevent the enemy from winning important positions. It should not be to hit a target for over 50% of their hit points.

doesnt that speak massively to how low the armor if the grille is, and not how powerful or not the arty is ?

the purpose of arty was damage. its currently some mishmash of support and damage, but they still have a pen value so its still expected to pen occasionally. they could set the pen to zero if they really wanted no pens to ever happen.  

tanks like the grille intentionally trade away the safety of being resistant to damage in exchange for their guns. the grille has the best gun in game. that comes with the cost of not being able to resist arty shells much at all. 

its balance. deal with it. stop whining about. 

otherwise nerf the grille's gun and give it armor. it can be a tier 10 german foch clone for all i care. but trying to prevent a paper tank from having a weakness is just silly. 

SteelRonin #36 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 21:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22232 battles
  • [KANTO] KANTO
I agree with OP

Thornir #37 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:36

Major

• Players
  • 26549 battles

Ok, the arguments about what woulda coulda shoulda historically are irrelevant. They really are. Arty provides BOTH TEAMS with the same capability. Getting hit can suck, but if you're mad because it happens too often, thank the haters who thought they'd end arty by getting alpha nerfed. Well, contrary to what people think, WG isn't interested in the complete rebalance the game would require and/or the massive [edited].  Sandwich they'd have to eat with compensating the literally millions of players who have arty, so they nerfed alpha, and to compensate increased accuracy, rate of fire, aim time AND added stun. 

Arty has been in the game longer than any of us. It isn't going away. And people that complain about it in light of that are asking that their world be made perfect at the expense of others. They sound like spoiled children who think crying is the way to go. . guess it worked with mom and dad.....

BillT #38 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 00:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 24544 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostPFCWilliams, on Sep 10 2017 - 23:21, said:

A shell from a friggin' heavy cruiser exploded in your gunner's lap.  It should have killed you outright.  

poppavein #39 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 00:39

Captain

• Players
  • 23980 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW
Even people on the short bus want to play. Give the handicapped a break and let them play arty. 

BeanHoleBandit #40 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 00:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14199 battles
  • [FATE] FATE
I can actually say as much as I hate Arty it is needed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users