Jump to content


Panzer IV Schmalturm - Left Behind

buff old premiums schmalturm Panzer IV Pz. IV S

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Pz. IV S (13 members have cast votes)

Do you agree?

  1. Yes (11 votes [84.62%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 84.62%

  2. No (Explain why not in comments) (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Siegfox #1 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 16:35

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013

The Panzer IV Schmalturm is a very old premium tank, one that I recently managed to get back after making the mistake in selling it ages ago thanks to Wargaming's new exception policy. However when starting to drive it again I noticed one thing immediately, its slower than a KV-85 - an equal tier heavy tank. This is not right. A specific power of 9.97..... Let's put this into perspective, an upgraded T95 - the tier 9 tank destroyer often known for being abysmally slow, has a specific power of 8.89.... Its almost better than a tier 6 medium tank. Everything else about the machine is balanced and it has a very competitive main armament. 

 

What I am suggesting is to buff the mobility of the Schmalturm by bringing it more in line with the standard Panzer IV H at tier V. The Schmalturm weighs just over 5 tonnes more than the Pz. IV H - but this does not mean it should be left behind by equal tier heavy tanks. A further thing I have found is that it takes engine damage far too much. The engine is knocked out multiple times per game in most occasions. 

 

I remember why I loved the Schmalturm in its superb 75mm gun, and turret armor. But we desperately need a power buff. If you agree with my interpretation of the Schmalturm do submit your vote in the poll as I want to see if this is a view held by many in the community, and if you dont agree vote that way and let me know why not. Thanks!



moogleslam #2 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 17:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 27393 battles
  • 2,689
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013
A little off topic, but you've always been able to get a premium tank back that you previously sold; just a ticket required.

Viper69 #3 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 17:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 7416 battles
  • 3,959
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011
There are a metric [edited]ton of premium tanks that are still using WG old doctrine of premiums are just money makers not game changers.

Siegfox #4 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 18:26

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013

View Postmoogleslam, on Sep 12 2017 - 16:14, said:

A little off topic, but you've always been able to get a premium tank back that you previously sold; just a ticket required.

 

Fair play, I didnt know. I tried getting one back a while ago and wasn't able so assumed it was new!


Edited by Siegfox, Sep 12 2017 - 18:26.


Siegfox #5 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 18:27

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013

View PostViper69, on Sep 12 2017 - 16:39, said:

There are a metric [edited]ton of premium tanks that are still using WG old doctrine of premiums are just money makers not game changers.

 

And thats unfortunate, WG should look at their old premiums and give them some love :P

Ape_Drape #6 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 19:26

    Captain

  • Players
  • 36474 battles
  • 1,207
  • [SOT] SOT
  • Member since:
    06-13-2011

View PostViper69, on Sep 12 2017 - 17:39, said:

There are a metric [edited]ton of premium tanks that are still using WG old doctrine of premiums are just money makers not game changers.

 

Except the PzIVS isn't really a money maker either. It made as much when it was a tier 5 non-premium. It performs worse, in every way, than when it was a tier 5 normal. And that chicken wire on the sides is not spaced armor as many people believe. It's just chicken wire.

mrmojo #7 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 01:08

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17860 battles
  • 1,835
  • [-LEG-] -LEG-
  • Member since:
    07-24-2011
You bought a stolen tank.

Siegfox #8 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 06:11

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013

View Postmrmojo, on Sep 13 2017 - 00:08, said:

You bought a stolen tank.

 

What does this even mean?

Ivan_Drag0 #9 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 06:36

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 726 battles
  • 32
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013

View PostSiegfox, on Sep 13 2017 - 05:11, said:

 

What does this even mean?

 

He meant it was a tank who people had before and was removed and added later as a overtiered premium with worse stats.

It was a contender for KV-1 so it had to be removed. Russia have to be better always. I remember the old VK30.01H medium tank in tier 6, massively nerfed and moved to tier 5 as a paper snail.


Edited by Ivan_Drag0, Sep 13 2017 - 06:36.


Ape_Drape #10 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:49

    Captain

  • Players
  • 36474 battles
  • 1,207
  • [SOT] SOT
  • Member since:
    06-13-2011

View Postmrmojo, on Sep 13 2017 - 01:08, said:

You bought a stolen tank.

 

Sadly, I got ripped off on a stolen tank. Before I ever had any premium tanks, I was using the tier 5 PzIVS as my grocery getter. I've never played the current PzIV the stats on it are from when it was the IVS. I bought it because it was one of my favorite tanks to play. The tier 6 version doesn't hold a candle to what it was when it was tier 5.

When It was tier 5 it regularly saw tier 8s in battle, so it's not an issue of its MM that makes this tank not fun anymore, it is the massive uncalled for nerfs it received when they also moved it up a tier. The nerfs became even more pronounced with WG's "physics" getting added.

 

 


Edited by Ape_Drape, Sep 13 2017 - 15:49.


black_colt #11 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:53

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 3370 battles
  • 1,978
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View PostSiegfox, on Sep 12 2017 - 07:35, said:

The Panzer IV Schmalturm is a very old premium tank, one that I recently managed to get back after making the mistake in selling it ages ago thanks to Wargaming's new exception policy. However when starting to drive it again I noticed one thing immediately, its slower than a KV-85 - an equal tier heavy tank. This is not right. A specific power of 9.97..... Let's put this into perspective, an upgraded T95 - the tier 9 tank destroyer often known for being abysmally slow, has a specific power of 8.89.... Its almost better than a tier 6 medium tank. Everything else about the machine is balanced and it has a very competitive main armament. 

 

What I am suggesting is to buff the mobility of the Schmalturm by bringing it more in line with the standard Panzer IV H at tier V. The Schmalturm weighs just over 5 tonnes more than the Pz. IV H - but this does not mean it should be left behind by equal tier heavy tanks. A further thing I have found is that it takes engine damage far too much. The engine is knocked out multiple times per game in most occasions. 

 

I remember why I loved the Schmalturm in its superb 75mm gun, and turret armor. But we desperately need a power buff. If you agree with my interpretation of the Schmalturm do submit your vote in the poll as I want to see if this is a view held by many in the community, and if you dont agree vote that way and let me know why not. Thanks!

 

Adding the Maybach HL 120 TRM is an option for a buff to the vehicle but the terrain resistances will need to be nerfed to be in-line with the VK 30.01D and VK 30.01 P so there will probably not be a straight line speed increase.

 

The gun handling does not need any changes as it has better dispersion than the VK 30.01D and VK 30.01P with same pen, alpha, and aim-time.

 

A Premium should not be better than the non-Premiums [equal tier and same type of vehicle] so any changes would need to be done carefully especially since Premiums, by design, earn more credits, earn more crew experience, and are cheaper to repair than non-Premium vehicles to avoid the calls of OP, pay-to-win, etc.

 

 

 

 



landedkiller #12 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 01:41

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 7757 battles
  • 1,352
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013
I have advocated for this many times in the past anyone wise enough to compare stats will see the speed needs improvement. The gun and the armor are decent all it needs is either a 400hp engine or the 440 like on wot blitz. https://thedailyboun...ne-buff-needed/ just read this article if you don't believe me

Siegfox #13 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 02:42

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013

View Postlandedkiller, on Sep 14 2017 - 00:41, said:

I have advocated for this many times in the past anyone wise enough to compare stats will see the speed needs improvement. The gun and the armor are decent all it needs is either a 400hp engine or the 440 like on wot blitz. https://thedailyboun...ne-buff-needed/ just read this article if you don't believe me

 

I 100% support these changes explained in the article, simple engine upgrades would make the Schmalturm so much more competitive. Its the question if WG are willing to listen to the community and make the changes :/ - its long overdue.

Edited by Siegfox, Sep 14 2017 - 02:42.


Siegfox #14 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 02:46

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12802 battles
  • 11
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ
  • Member since:
    01-05-2013
I also do not want the buff to be an excuse to put it back on sale just as a money grab - thus devaluing the vehicle.

Ape_Drape #15 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 14:47

    Captain

  • Players
  • 36474 battles
  • 1,207
  • [SOT] SOT
  • Member since:
    06-13-2011

View PostSiegfox, on Sep 14 2017 - 02:46, said:

I also do not want the buff to be an excuse to put it back on sale just as a money grab - thus devaluing the vehicle.

 

The vehicle has no value. Only what someone is willing to pay for it. Right now it's only a worthless crappile collecting valuable dust in my garage.

black_colt #16 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 16:02

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 3370 battles
  • 1,978
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View PostSiegfox, on Sep 13 2017 - 17:46, said:

I also do not want the buff to be an excuse to put it back on sale just as a money grab - thus devaluing the vehicle.

 

If it is such a value to begin with then why does it need a buff?

 

I would love to see the Land Snail get a terrain resistance/power-to-weight buff which would increase its value [allowing it to more quickly get into position and react to changing conditions in the battle].

 

However doing so and then allowing it to be purchased again would wreak havok on the game in lower Tiers.


Edited by black_colt, Sep 15 2017 - 16:06.


Ivan_Drag0 #17 Posted Sep 16 2017 - 05:33

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 726 battles
  • 32
  • Member since:
    08-19-2013

View Postblack_colt, on Sep 15 2017 - 15:02, said:

 

If it is such a value to begin with then why does it need a buff?

 

I would love to see the Land Snail get a terrain resistance/power-to-weight buff which would increase its value [allowing it to more quickly get into position and react to changing conditions in the battle].

 

However doing so and then allowing it to be purchased again would wreak havok on the game in lower Tiers.

 

Bah, because T-34-85M is not plain better than the tech tree one and wasnt recently available for long...

landedkiller #18 Posted Sep 16 2017 - 20:51

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 7757 battles
  • 1,352
  • Member since:
    04-01-2013

View Postblack_colt, on Sep 15 2017 - 09:02, said:

 

If it is such a value to begin with then why does it need a buff?

 

I would love to see the Land Snail get a terrain resistance/power-to-weight buff which would increase its value [allowing it to more quickly get into position and react to changing conditions in the battle].

 

However doing so and then allowing it to be purchased again would wreak havok on the game in lower Tiers.

 

No it wouldn't this is coming from someone who plays it often and besides you get sucked into tier 8 battles more often than tier 4




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users