Italy will finally be in WoT...

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Shortcult #21 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 05:57

Major

• Players
  • 31139 battles

Unfortunately, Italian tanks will only be able to participate for 9 minutes in a random battle.  They will then switch sides, have their guns disabled and be forced to hide in a corner.

What?  RU devs are gonna do this, you know it.

Isola_di_Fano #22 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 06:19

Major

• Players
  • 19629 battles

View PostShortcult, on Sep 12 2017 - 23:57, said:

Unfortunately, Italian tanks will only be able to participate for 9 minutes in a random battle.  They will then switch sides, have their guns disabled and be forced to hide in a corner.

What?  RU devs are gonna do this, you know it.

That means they always end up on the winning side. I'll take a dozen.

At a dinner with Churchill, Ribbentrop had said that, in a future war with Britain, Germany would have the Italians on its side.  Churchill, referring to Italy’s poor record in the First World War, responded with one of his devastating verbal flashes:  “That’s only fair – we had them last time.”

TankFullOfBourbon #23 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 07:28

Major

• Players
  • 21813 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

I must admit I can't think of a more uninteresting tank nation than Italy. But heck, if other care to play it I am all hunky dory with that.

I'd rather see top tier medium tanks and mid tier heavies in the Swedish tree. Some made up TDs in the Czech tree and more Soviet premium tier 8 tanks.

(ok, the last bit was sarcasm)

Ripping #24 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 13:04

Captain

• Players
  • 17914 battles
  • [MOGS] MOGS
Do they come with a already mounted white flag on the turret, to match the real life events of the Italians in the war?

webco_2_75 #25 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 13:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19061 battles
After the Italian line (and about time too because WWII) I would love to see an Israeli and an Arab line.  Most of the worlds post WWII big tank battles could provide plenty of tanks to fill both lines.

Ripping #26 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 14:36

Captain

• Players
  • 17914 battles
  • [MOGS] MOGS

View Postwebco_2_75, on Sep 13 2017 - 13:21, said:

After the Italian line (and about time too because WWII) I would love to see an Israeli and an Arab line.  Most of the worlds post WWII big tank battles could provide plenty of tanks to fill both lines.

That is funnier than the Italian line... Nearly all those tanks are from other countries.

BillT #27 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:13

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 24484 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View Postindoctrinated, on Sep 12 2017 - 16:41, said:

Why should the Italian tree have priority over the Israel tree when an Israel tree can be made complete from Tier 1 to Tier X?

Because Israel didn't exist during WWII, and this is at heart a WWII game.

LT_Moon #28 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 41188 battles
  • [ORDER] ORDER
Thanks guys for funny comments! :D Hope they won't offend any Italians :)  Now I am all for the Italian line!

TrooperZZ #29 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26313 battles
  • [DA] DA

Another bunch of copy tanks, [edited]game

BillT #30 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 24484 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Sep 13 2017 - 01:28, said:

I must admit I can't think of a more uninteresting tank nation than Italy. 

China, Czechoslovakia, and Poland leap to mind.  Even Japan.

Our difference is because I'm a WWII buff. The Italian tanks played a significant role for a couple of years, making them arguably more interesting than the French tanks and certainly more significant than Polish-built tanks..  The Italian tanks were mostly pretty bad, but then, so were the British cruiser tanks they fought in the early war.  The Italians were humiliated because of bad leadership, not bad tanks.

And once those tanks get the WOT treatment -(perfect reliability, crews that never give up, a gun too big for the tank to actually have carried, and soft stats pulled out of thin air) they'll probably be just fine.  And some of them are quite interesting.  The M11/39 is the Italian Lee, with its main gun (37mm) mounted in the hull and only MGs in the turret.  They have a full line of TDs which , unlike the French TDs, actually saw ample combat.  And they had some nice armored cars, should WOT ever add those.

The only problem is that the line of historical tanks stops at Tier 6.  After that... maybe WG can find some sketch tanks in Fiat-Ansaldo archives, or give them copies of late-war German armor or post-war US/French/German stuff.  Or just let the line stop at Tier 6 -- that's fine with me, I don't have to have a Tier 10 tank at the end of every line.

tanopasman62 #31 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 13855 battles

View PostRipping, on Sep 13 2017 - 13:04, said:

Do they come with a already mounted white flag on the turret, to match the real life events of the Italians in the war?

I demand white flags for my French tanks.

mworthy #32 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9389 battles
  • [941ST] 941ST

View PostRipping, on Sep 13 2017 - 07:04, said:

that would be france. we tend to forget the italian military was actually pretty good . their army could stand up to the british. and they ahd a better navy than the british they just never got the chance to use them.  they also had some pretty good frogmen. the entire reason italy lost was they were in a war they were not ready for coupled with the fact that most italians never wanted to be a world power. while their tanks were not the best for their time they were good unfortuantely that time war more pre war than during the war the italians built some decent tanks that fell into german hands but still italian built

tod914 #33 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 50648 battles
  • [RDNKS] RDNKS

View PostBillT, on Sep 13 2017 - 10:52, said:

The only problem is that the line of historical tanks stops at Tier 6.  After that... maybe WG can find some sketch tanks in Fiat-Ansaldo archives,

I was thinking da Vinci sketches to fill the gap.

sparango #34 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:54

Captain

• Players
  • 42772 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View PostIndygoEEI, on Sep 12 2017 - 07:51, said:

You got your wish guys.  The Italians will be coming...  Soon™.

Also no Pink Tanks.... Ever!

Yes. Cool beans

sparango #35 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:55

Captain

• Players
  • 42772 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View Postmworthy, on Sep 13 2017 - 10:44, said:

that would be france. we tend to forget the italian military was actually pretty good . their army could stand up to the british. and they ahd a better navy than the british they just never got the chance to use them.  they also had some pretty good frogmen. the entire reason italy lost was they were in a war they were not ready for coupled with the fact that most italians never wanted to be a world power. while their tanks were not the best for their time they were good unfortuantely that time war more pre war than during the war the italians built some decent tanks that fell into german hands but still italian built

Well put +1

sparango #36 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:58

Captain

• Players
  • 42772 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View Postindoctrinated, on Sep 12 2017 - 13:41, said:

Why should the Italian tree have priority over the Israel tree when an Israel tree can be made complete from Tier 1 to Tier X?

Just say no to Israel tanks

_Gungrave_ #37 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 21:36

Major

• Players
  • 36647 battles
  • [JGRN] JGRN

View Postwebco_2_75, on Sep 13 2017 - 13:21, said:

Again...too many clone tanks because Middle Eastern nations bought up a lot of hand me down tanks from Russia, UK, and some from the US.

TankFullOfBourbon #38 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 21813 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postmworthy, on Sep 13 2017 - 19:44, said:

What a load of crap. You obviously know nothing about history. Italians were terrible soldiers. Their success is limited winning the war in Abyssinia against Ethopian forces and the invasion of Albania. Once up against the Greeks they needed German help, a pattern that continued throughout the war. Their stab in the back invasion of France in the summer of 1940 while the french were commiting all they had against the Germsns in the north grounded to a halt aleady a few kilometers in on the french riviera, and their initial success in north Africa is only credited to the fact Britain hardly had forces on this front, and even so the Italians failed. The Italians were absolutely terrible soldiers and more a hinderence for Germany than help!

And the Italian fleet was big but the sailors were chicken. After some initial losses, Regia Marina stayed in port for the rest of the war. Their only successes came from sinking allied ships through mines. 

Stop spreading nonsense.

mworthy #39 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 22:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9389 battles
  • [941ST] 941ST

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Sep 13 2017 - 16:13, said:

What a load of crap. You obviously know nothing about history. Italians were terrible soldiers. Their success is limited winning the war in Abyssinia against Ethopian forces and the invasion of Albania. Once up against the Greeks they needed German help, a pattern that continued throughout the war. Their stab in the back invasion of France in the summer of 1940 while the french were commiting all they had against the Germsns in the north grounded to a halt aleady a few kilometers in on the french riviera, and their initial success in north Africa is only credited to the fact Britain hardly had forces on this front, and even so the Italians failed. The Italians were absolutely terrible soldiers and more a hinderence for Germany than help!

And the Italian fleet was big but the sailors were chicken. After some initial losses, Regia Marina stayed in port for the rest of the war. Their only successes came from sinking allied ships through mines. 

Stop spreading nonsense.

the only nonsense i see is from you. the terrible soldiers you are talking about were colonial forces while the actual army was decent. also were terrible just gonna leave this here https://ww2db.com/ba...p?battle_id=268   the sailors were chicken the ships never stayed in port they sank in port from british torpedo planes before they could leave. as i said they were in a war they were not ready for but the soldiers themselves had good training they were a good fighting force. they also had good frogmen 

BillT #40 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 23:35

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 24484 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostTankFullOfBourbon, on Sep 13 2017 - 16:13, said:

What a load of crap. You obviously know nothing about history. Italians were terrible soldiers.

The general verdict of what I've read is that the Italians had terrible officers.  Their soldiers, often enough, were brave and capable, but they were being led by ill-trained amateurs, many of whom had bought their commissions.  They did better when led by German officers.  And they performed well enough in Russia.  The Germans were pleased by their performance in 1941 and 1942, and when the Soviets counterattacked to encircle Stalingrad the Italian units fought bravely enough even after the Romanians on their flanks disintegrated.  

And there were plenty of cases where Italian soldiers excelled.  It's not for nothing that WOT has a medal named for Luigi Pascucci.

The British derided the Italian infantry, but had nothing but praise for their artillery corps.  Italian gunners earned a reputation for staying at their guns and fighting to the end, even after their infantry fled.  Their frogmen did in fact carry out an impressive, bold attack against Alexandria harbor, and plenty of their aviators fought heroically. 

And I think logistics (along with lack of motorization) played a huge factor in Italy's awful performance in North Africa.  They deployed more troops there than they could adequately supply, and could only move slowly compared to the more mobile British forces.  Indeed, while the Italian invasion of Greece was a failure, it forced Britain to send many of their best troops from Egypt to defend Greece, improving the balance of power in North Africa.  In a  war of logistics it wasn't a bad strategy: "We can't support any more soldiers in Libya, but we can make Britain take soldiers out of Egypt."  And it worked: while the Brits were in Greece, Axis divisions in Libya forced the British Western Desert Force to retreat to Tobruk. It's just that the credit all went to Rommel, who arrived during this time and led a hasty offensive against the weakened Brits -- using mostly Italian soldiers, albeit well stiffened by the German 5th light division.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users