Jump to content


Need a new premium Sherman with Big Boomstick: SO-122


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Need a new premium Sherman with Big Boomstick: SO-122 (26 members have cast votes)

Want WG to introduce SO-122 as premium tonk?

  1. Yarp (22 votes [84.62%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 84.62%

  2. Narp (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 11.54%

  3. Meh (1 vote [3.85%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Lert #1 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:12

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

In the late 1950s the Yugoslavs experimented with some leftover Shermans they had. One experiment they did was fitting the Soviet V2 Engine from the T-34 into the back of a few Sherman hulls for additional oomph. This became known as the M-634.

 

Then in 1961 they put a Soviet A19 122mm gun into a modified turret, and called it the SO-122.

 

 

The project was eventually canceled because they couldn't get the boomstick to elevate enough for indirect fire.

 

That said ...

 

 


Edited by Lert, Sep 12 2017 - 22:13.


HowitzerBlitzer #2 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 14107 battles
  • 7,406
  • Member since:
    06-16-2013
Why the A-19? Isn't that one of the older 122mm guns that took up more space on the interior?

Lert #3 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:18

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostHowitzerBlitzer, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:17, said:

Why the A-19? Isn't that one of the older 122mm guns that took up more space on the interior?

 

Maybe they couldn't get the D-25T to fit. Maybe they only had A-19s lying around. I wasn't there, I don't know.

NL_Celt #4 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:27

    Major

  • Players
  • 25040 battles
  • 5,292
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012
Well, Sherman premiums have got to be money makers, so why not?

the_dude_76 #5 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:34

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 29633 battles
  • 668
  • [GSRM] GSRM
  • Member since:
    12-27-2011
There is definitely a lack of Sherman variants in the game...

NL_Celt #6 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 25040 battles
  • 5,292
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012
But which nation?

Lert #7 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:37

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostNL_Celt, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:35, said:

But which nation?

 

Yugoslav. Alternatively, Russian. Alternatively, American.

SilverEaglewing #8 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:41

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 29347 battles
  • 525
  • [NICO] NICO
  • Member since:
    09-17-2013
Looks sexy....

HOTA_CHATON #9 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 12112 battles
  • 12,418
  • [T0TS] T0TS
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011
I vote with Lert on this one.

Kenshin2kx #10 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:48

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16038 battles
  • 4,575
  • Member since:
    07-20-2014
Wow ... curiosity and or necessity is definitely the mother of invention ... and that during the war, it was like ... 17 pounder?  Will it fit?   So this would be the direct counterpart to something like the KV-122?

Edited by Kenshin2kx, Sep 12 2017 - 22:50.


Lert #11 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:52

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostKenshin2kx, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:48, said:

during the war, it was like ... 17 pounder?  Will it fit?

 

IKR!

 

It's like this:

 

<US> Here, we built a tank with a 75mm gun.

<UK> Hmmm. Maybe we can fit our long 3" in it and call it a Firefly.

<France / Israel> Ha, amateurs. here, we put a 105mm into it.

<Yugoslavia> .... Hold my beer.

 

View PostKenshin2kx, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:48, said:

So this would be the direct counterpart to something like the KV-122?

 

M4 Revalorise I would think. Possibly the SO-122 could fit a tier lower since the gun is inaccurate and has slow ROF in this game.

Edited by Lert, Sep 12 2017 - 22:53.


KingtigerIVIV #12 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:52

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 22029 battles
  • 611
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-11-2013

View PostLert, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:12, said:

In the late 1950s the Yugoslavs experimented with some leftover Shermans they had. One experiment they did was fitting the Soviet V2 Engine from the T-34 into the back of a few Sherman hulls for additional oomph. This became known as the M-634.

 

Then in 1961 they put a Soviet A19 122mm gun into a modified turret, and called it the SO-122.

 

 

The project was eventually canceled because they couldn't get the boomstick to elevate enough for indirect fire.

 

That said ...

 

 

 

So basically a Rev with worse gun handling?

SaltCommando #13 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:53

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18716 battles
  • 722
  • Member since:
    07-20-2011
A medium with really crappy elevation. That would seem really hard in any situation 

Edited by SaltCommando, Sep 12 2017 - 22:55.


Lert #14 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 22:53

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostKingtigerIVIV, on Sep 12 2017 - 21:52, said:

So basically a Rev with worse gun handling?

 

And likely a tier lower, yes.

NL_Celt #15 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 25040 battles
  • 5,292
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012

View PostLert, on Sep 12 2017 - 18:07, said:

 

Yugoslav. Alternatively, Russian. Alternatively, American.

 

It would be 1/2 Russian, half USA. Considering the USA has a bunch of M4 variants I think lobbing it into the USSR might be a better plan. It would be rather unique there.

PrimarchRogalDorn #16 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:03

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 25 battles
  • 659
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017
Gun elevation is 10 degrees and depression is a whopping -2

Beornotns #17 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:07

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 19836 battles
  • 1,578
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-
  • Member since:
    08-07-2014

Sherman variant?  Um.. YES PLEASE!

 

~B



Kenshin2kx #18 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:07

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 16038 battles
  • 4,575
  • Member since:
    07-20-2014

View PostNL_Celt, on Sep 12 2017 - 12:00, said:

 

It would be 1/2 Russian, half USA. Considering the USA has a bunch of M4 variants I think lobbing it into the USSR might be a better plan. It would be rather unique there.

 

Speaking of Russia ... given their fascination with the with beeg bomska I am kind of surprised that they did not up gun the M4 ... or did they?

 


Lert #19 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:11

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 43755 battles
  • 25,676
  • [RELSH] RELSH
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

View PostKenshin2kx, on Sep 12 2017 - 22:07, said:

Speaking of Russia ... given their fascination with the with beeg bomska I am kind of surprised that they did not up gun the M4 ... or did they?

 

They probably just wanted to push those lend lease tanks to the front as quickly as possible and not hold them back to experiment on them.

NL_Celt #20 Posted Sep 12 2017 - 23:24

    Major

  • Players
  • 25040 battles
  • 5,292
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012

View PostLert, on Sep 12 2017 - 18:41, said:

 

They probably just wanted to push those lend lease tanks to the front as quickly as possible and not hold them back to experiment on them.

 

Probably better as trainers anyway, as they had quite a few of their own eventually and logistics of gas over diesel, specific shells for that tank only would have made it a problem as  would supply of parts. 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users