Grind to the FV215b

Super Conqueror 2for1

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

hazmatman #41 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 00:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11751 battles
When does 9.20.1 drop? I just unlocked the Conqueror, so that means I have another ~350K XP to grind.

oldewolfe #42 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 01:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 12975 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN
Grind Reserves as well as the Tank....     That's what I've been doing....

hazmatman #43 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 02:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11751 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Sep 22 2017 - 01:40, said:

Grind Reserves as well as the Tank....     That's what I've been doing....

Oh I am, running 2 XP boosters and a cred booster. I'll be dead broke when I finally reach it & buy it though - my free xp and credits will be zero after that. Then I get to start all over again trying to climb the Brit TD ladder to get to the DeathStar (FV215 183) before that also gets yanked in 9.20.2...a mere 17M credits & 750K XP away :D

Redwave11 #44 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 04:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17256 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View Posthazmatman, on Sep 22 2017 - 09:51, said:

When does 9.20.1 drop? I just unlocked the Conqueror, so that means I have another ~350K XP to grind.

You have at least 2 more weeks. I would estimate prob 3, or maybe 4 at the latest but don't take my word for it.

They normally put up an announcement around 36-48hrs before the patch drops, if you still don't have it by then its time to start panicking 

SquareCanine #45 Posted Sep 26 2017 - 20:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7396 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

A little late to the party, but this was the first heavy line I tackled, and the FV215b was my first tier 10 (I think? Might have been second). Keep in mind that I did all this a while back, before any HD updates for example (in particular, the second turret on the Caernarvon and first turret on the Conqueror was a normal Centurion turret, I think the Mk 3, not the Action X).

The Churchill 1 is...alright. Because of their design based on the infantry tank concept, they share guns with the medium tank line. As low alpha high dpm weapons, the mediums certainly get better use out of these weapons. The heavies don't have the mobility to pres the dpm advantage, and the low alpha means they wont win if forced to trade shots. In regards to the Churchill 1 the gun is actually fairly respectable, though I was very happy to be rid of it after going back to grind out xp to unlock the Churchill Gun Carrier (this was post HD update).

The Churchill VII is, in my opinion, a joke. The armor is a bit tougher and more uniform, but like the Churchill I it has a flat faced turret of equal armor to the flat faced hull, compounded by the fact that it uses a very marginal upgrade of the previous top gun. The Comet suffers the same gun upgrade coming from the Cromwell. I think a lot of people give up here.

The Black Prince is a ray of sunshine. It's not the best heavy in tier by any stretch, but it's an absolute rockstar next to the VII. Perhaps the most important change is a tough mantlet. The turret face armor is still parity to the hull, but a lot of the turret is now covered by a mantlet of about the same thickness, making the face of this tank much tougher. This is important for things like going hull or side scrapping. These tactics in the previous tanks make you a smaller target. The Black Prince becomes a bit tougher. I also recall the armor as being better for it's tier. The gun also improves this time. Not enough, but it's workable even without premium rounds. You'll suffer against higher tiers for sure, but this tank has some fight.

The Caernarvon is the other tank where I think a lot of people give up. The VII is two tiers lower, easier to push through. The Caernarvon is that 'thank god it's not another Churchill' moment, and then most people they've traded one tank they hate for another they hate just as much, just for different reasons. I loved it though. I was grinding the medium tanks ahead of the heavies (to unlock the guns), and to me it was what the Centurion 1 should be. Yes it's slow, but it makes a decent heavy medium. Of course, sometimes the team needs a heavy, and it can be a pinch heavy too, but certainly not the strong suit. From tier 8 onward, the heavies are all about the guns. The hulls are 'meh', the turrets are 'alright', and the guns are the stars.

The Conqueror is perhaps the most memorable grind, and not in a good way. I'm not entirely sure how the AX turret stacks up against the previous Centurion w/ mantlet turret design, but at the time, the first turret was arguably the tougher model if used correctly (fighting with as much gun depression as possible to properly angle the turret). It also had -10 depression vs -7 on the second turret (regardless of gun), so I ended up using the stock turret until I had both the top turret and 120mm gun unlocked. And it sucked. That said, I find that the final capabilities of a tank are inversely proportional to how hard it sucks when stock. A stock Conqueror might be a flaming piece of garbage for the first far too many games, but it's the point where most people fall in love. The tank hull is still pretty 'meh', but the gun is gold. High DPM, high penetration, reasonable alpha, high velocity, very accurate, quick to aim, and unusually low movement penalties to gun bloom for non full speed movement. Since the tank struggles to hit top speed, this works out nicely.

And not that it matters, but the 215b has the same gun on crack. It has a very short reload (~7 seconds), and is almost more accurate while moving than many guns manage sitting still (it has almost no gun bloom from driving, as long as it doesn't go too fast). It also has actual upper plate armor, sabotaged by the turret mounting. Like the predecessors, it seems happiest when using depression to shoot down at people, concealing the lower plate and weaknesses where the turret mounts. It's also reasonably fast.

Redwave11 #46 Posted Sep 27 2017 - 08:56

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17256 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

Just researched the FV215b :)

Took me 197 battles to get from 1-10, but i haven't mastered the conqueror yet :(

I think i will keep the conqueror until i get an ace tanker and just leave the FV without a crew for a while.

hazmatman #47 Posted Sep 30 2017 - 16:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11751 battles

View PostRedwave11, on Sep 27 2017 - 08:56, said:

Just researched the FV215b :)

Took me 197 battles to get from 1-10, but i haven't mastered the conqueror yet :(

I think i will keep the conqueror until i get an ace tanker and just leave the FV without a crew for a while.

A friend bought me a couple prem tanks I already had for my bday, so new BIA crews in my barracks and all that gold was just sitting there - free XP time. Now only 35K XP to go, and I can unlock the FV215b. It will be my first Tier 10, and it's going to sit for a while. It will get a quick "christening" battle because WG usually required folks to have played at least one battle in a tank or they'd disappear it from your garage. My current Brit HT crew is WAY back in the Church VII. They have a ways to go before they or I will be ready to take the FV hunting, but soon. Soon.

oldewolfe #48 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 01:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 12975 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Good Luck...   I think I'll be Passing on the 215B...    Not because I want to, but Financially In and Out of the Game, it won't be Possible to Complete...     Coffers were Tapped Dry, Gold, Silver, and Free XP, grinding thru 3 Lines to Tiers 9 (x2) and a Tier 10....    And that's even considering that going thru the AX Line Unlocks most everything thru the Line as far as Radio's, Motors, and Guns to the 120mm...

I will however, be trying to get to the 183...   That target is far more Achievable because at the Lower tiers I can Suffer thru some 80% Crews...    You can't get away with that in the Upper Tiers as easily, and they're Expensive to Maintain to boot...   I just have to get off my Butt and get it Done now...      Have near 6K in Free XP on Hand which would get me Past the Tier 2 and 3 would look Near Topped out, but the Lack of Gold means the near 320K Free XP I have is Off Limits at the moment and only Silver for Crew Training...      Reserves will Help, but I'll still be forced to Drag Out the Premiums for Additional Credits and that always Interrupts the Grinding....

hazmatman #49 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 02:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11751 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Oct 01 2017 - 01:41, said:

Good Luck...   I think I'll be Passing on the 215B...    Not because I want to, but Financially In and Out of the Game, it won't be Possible to Complete...     Coffers were Tapped Dry, Gold, Silver, and Free XP, grinding thru 3 Lines to Tiers 9 (x2) and a Tier 10....    And that's even considering that going thru the AX Line Unlocks most everything thru the Line as far as Radio's, Motors, and Guns to the 120mm...

I will however, be trying to get to the 183...   That target is far more Achievable because at the Lower tiers I can Suffer thru some 80% Crews...    You can't get away with that in the Upper Tiers as easily, and they're Expensive to Maintain to boot...   I just have to get off my Butt and get it Done now...      Have near 6K in Free XP on Hand which would get me Past the Tier 2 and 3 would look Near Topped out, but the Lack of Gold means the near 320K Free XP I have is Off Limits at the moment and only Silver for Crew Training...      Reserves will Help, but I'll still be forced to Drag Out the Premiums for Additional Credits and that always Interrupts the Grinding....

Well I am lucky to be flush lately, the gold from those tanks and a bunch of credits from dumping at least a dozen tanks I don't drive anymore has kept me from totally running my well dry - so I used good earning tanks & free xp'd my way to this one. And those XP & credit boosters certainly help. I never play without them anymore. So...job done, FV215b in the garage. On to the next (the 183). :great: Although after the DeathStar grind, I think I really will be flat broke. I only just unlocked the AT8 & she's bone stock. If I were to try to purchase the remaining 720K free XP outright, that would be almost 30K gold. It would a more pleasurable grind using all prem tanks but I guess I'll be spending a lot of time in the AT line this coming month...URRGHH. :angry:

Edited by hazmatman, Oct 01 2017 - 02:52.

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #50 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 04:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 15435 battles
do we need only to research it or do we gotta buy it as well?    I'm so nervous

Redwave11 #51 Posted Oct 02 2017 - 10:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17256 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostBolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD, on Oct 02 2017 - 13:59, said:

do we need only to research it or do we gotta buy it as well?    I'm so nervous

Yeah you need to buy it as well. I think you might even have to play a game in it before the patch to keep it.

Edited by Redwave11, Oct 02 2017 - 10:53.

FrozenKemp #52 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 19:17

Major

• Players
  • 43824 battles

View PostRedwave11, on Oct 02 2017 - 04:40, said:

Yeah you need to buy it as well. I think you might even have to play a game in it before the patch to keep it.

I think that's correct.

If you want the tank, don't take any chances on this part! 

Cheap_exe #53 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 17:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 23889 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
Got this tank a couple days ago and played a game on Lakeville in it. Was surprised at how well it drove and the dpm looked quite nice. Came out with around ~3k damage and a couple kills.

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #54 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 22:05

Major

• -Players-
  • 15435 battles

This Caernarvon is painful

I don't think it would be a turrble tank 

the thing is, you have a great tank for its tier but you are hard pressed to do things against heavies of a higher tier from the front.  It can be awesome when brawlin and circling and doing all sorts of work that other heavies couldn't do, but it's rare you get those opportunities.

also arty is still in this game.  Shameful!

Kerosedge #55 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 06:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18642 battles
  • [HCK] HCK

Took me 112 games in the Conqueror running 100-200% boosters.

I converted gold to go to top gun for honesty sake.

Had a WR problem, hopefully you'll do better. 

Redwave11 #56 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17256 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

Yeah bois finally aced the conqueror, can't believe it took me 145 games to get when i was averaging so well. Here's the game that did it http://wotreplays.eu/site/3877422#fjords-redwave11-conqueror

Now i can sell it and move the crew, I'm going to miss this tank. Not enough to keep it tho.

Edited by Redwave11, Oct 12 2017 - 00:06.

Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD #57 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 03:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 15435 battles

The good thing will be that soon we'll all get to sort of keep the Conqueror but better AND keep our Backwards Conqueror

\o/

Also tagged with Super Conqueror, 2for1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users