make this game fun again

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

EtroopEagelhorse #1 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 49920 battles
  • [CRRS] CRRS

I've been playing world of tanks since 2013 it use to be a really fun game and there use to be good maps, you had to use gold to buy premium rounds and you could face tanks 4 tiers higher than yours,  But the game was fun back then; well maybe not in all tanks but it was still fun to play.  People use to learn the weak points on tanks and how to take them out and how to hide the weak points on their tanks, players use to learn the maps and would watch the mini map to see where the enemy team was deploying, light tanks use to scout and spot the enemy tanks tanks for their team and if there were a bunch of mediums on a team even though they weren't in a platoon the would work together and swarm enemy tanks, players would work together and try to win, it was a team effort and when the team of 15 strangers worked together and pull off a really good victory there would be congratulation messages after the battle.  You didn't have one spot you went to on maps because you had a good result there once heavies got support from medium tanks and tank destroyers and players watched out for and protected the artillery on their team; I even remember special missions for base campers who protected the base.  It use to be a really fun game to play.  I know that world of tanks and wargamming can't control the people playing the game and can only stop some of the negativity in the game and they can't make people learn how to play the game well or even make them work together.  I do believe they can make this game fun again though;

One of the first things they need to do is new and better maps where you can play a heavy tank, light tank medium tank a tank destroyer or even a spg on a map and they all will have some place to go; also get a better map rotation where you don't see the same 3 or 4 maps over and over all day long.  Next they need to quit pandering to weak players who don't bother to learn the game or how to play it; I know they have come out with all kinds of instructional videos and game modes but this does nothing really to help those players who don't really care about them other than to get the xp credits or other rewards for going through them; you need to spot letting these people from spamming premium round all the time; you could possibly limit the number of premium rounds a player can buy with credits and if they want more then they have to spend gold for them.  The new game mode Grand Battle sounds really good but you only have a 10% chance of getting into one and only with a tier 10 this needs to be opened up so players have a better chance of getting into one and you need to make it available for different tiers as well, maybe tier 8 and 9 too.

What we don't need are more gimmicks or supper op tanks; I think this game would be fun again with just the few changes I've mentioned here.  Well this is just my point of view and ideas make of them what  you will.

I_QQ_4_U #2 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 12785 battles
You realize all games are more fun when you first start playing them? I've been playing online games for at least 25 years and players always say the game was better in the good ol' days even though most of the time it's just perception, in most cases if they went back and played it again they wouldn't like it that much. Not that they can't improve things.

Sgt__Guffy #3 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1510 battles

View PostEtroopEagelhorse, on Sep 13 2017 - 08:21, said:

I've been playing world of tanks since 2013 it use to be a really fun game and there use to be good maps, you had to use gold to buy premium rounds and you could face tanks 4 tiers higher than yours,  But the game was fun back then; well maybe not in all tanks but it was still fun to play.  People use to learn the weak points on tanks and how to take them out and how to hide the weak points on their tanks, players use to learn the maps and would watch the mini map to see where the enemy team was deploying, light tanks use to scout and spot the enemy tanks tanks for their team and if there were a bunch of mediums on a team even though they weren't in a platoon the would work together and swarm enemy tanks, players would work together and try to win, it was a team effort and when the team of 15 strangers worked together and pull off a really good victory there would be congratulation messages after the battle.  You didn't have one spot you went to on maps because you had a good result there once heavies got support from medium tanks and tank destroyers and players watched out for and protected the artillery on their team; I even remember special missions for base campers who protected the base.  It use to be a really fun game to play.  I know that world of tanks and wargamming can't control the people playing the game and can only stop some of the negativity in the game and they can't make people learn how to play the game well or even make them work together.  I do believe they can make this game fun again though;

One of the first things they need to do is new and better maps where you can play a heavy tank, light tank medium tank a tank destroyer or even a spg on a map and they all will have some place to go; also get a better map rotation where you don't see the same 3 or 4 maps over and over all day long.  Next they need to quit pandering to weak players who don't bother to learn the game or how to play it; I know they have come out with all kinds of instructional videos and game modes but this does nothing really to help those players who don't really care about them other than to get the xp credits or other rewards for going through them; you need to spot letting these people from spamming premium round all the time; you could possibly limit the number of premium rounds a player can buy with credits and if they want more then they have to spend gold for them.  The new game mode Grand Battle sounds really good but you only have a 10% chance of getting into one and only with a tier 10 this needs to be opened up so players have a better chance of getting into one and you need to make it available for different tiers as well, maybe tier 8 and 9 too.

What we don't need are more gimmicks or supper op tanks; I think this game would be fun again with just the few changes I've mentioned here.  Well this is just my point of view and ideas make of them what  you will.

Oh, those halcyon days of gaiety and laughter. I'm not sure which game the OP was playing, yes, things might have been marginally better with playing standards, but there were still poor deployments, ROTFLstomps and poor players! The game has changed more than the player-base.  WOT was a strategic game, but WG were not making enough money from seriously minded players and they made it arcade, catering to brawlers in the upper tiers and fast paced shoot 'em up play for the lower to mid tiers. That attracted the players who were prepared to pay to win and the money has rolled in. 

I think WG has achieved their objective, so they now sit back, ignore what player base remains and bung out premium tanks knowing there is some mug that will pay for them.

The problem with " they all have some place to go" on maps is players will do precisely that! Arty loves predictable players. What we need is maps that offers suitable terrain for as many different vehicles as possible, flexibility and choice and dare I state it, an element of strategy.

It is true WG has pandered to the whiners and done very nicely thank you out of doing so.

Be careful what you wish for.

Have fun, if you get a game lasting more than two minutes.

Guffy. 

84Doc04 #4 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16468 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

I think you have a glorified vision of what the "good old days" were.  You make comments like "watching their mini maps" and "15 strangers working together".

Not to be a troll, but that stuff never happened consistently.  Ever.  There were, and still are rare and wondrous games where all players seem to just do the right stuff, but that's a 1 in 10,000 match.  And it usually results in a ROFL-Stomp in 3.5 minutes......

Sorry, but the game is still fun, it's just a little different.  Yes we DO need more maps, and better maps.  I'm hopeful that after the HD Map release they will start adding more, and not fall back on the clone map BS (Prokorovka/Firey Salient, Ruinberg/Winterberg, Himmelsdorf/Winter Himmelsdorf, etc.....) [Yeah, Wargaming, changing the weather on a map does not make it a different map......]

All in all, I very much enjoy this game, and while some changes I disagree with, I will continue to play and love this game.

RedBaronK #5 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 15:59

Captain

• Players
  • 35258 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

I think fun factor definitely decreased when they made platoons get tougher matches.... I haven't platooned in ages, and my friends that used to coordinate time with me to play also practically disappeared.

Now all that I play with... Are the voices in my head telling me to murder arty. Redrum.

OldFrog75 #6 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6743 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostEtroopEagelhorse, on Sep 13 2017 - 15:21, said:

Next they need to quit pandering to weak players who don't bother to learn the game or how to play it; I know they have come out with all kinds of instructional videos and game modes but this does nothing really to help those players who don't really care about them other than to get the xp credits or other rewards for going through them; 

I get the sense that a lot of new players leave because they perceive the game is too hard or takes too long to master.  Keeping them engaged is probably a priority.

Peak_Bagger #7 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7579 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

Wanna know how I make this game fun again? I load it up. Fun just happens.

Yeah, I know, I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it, but d*mn, I love this game!

Firemoth #8 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:10

Major

• Players
  • 35353 battles

View PostEtroopEagelhorse, on Sep 14 2017 - 00:21, said:

people would take the time to learn the tier 9 IS4s weakspots and it wouldnt matter cause the IS4 could ignore 13 tanks on the enemy team.

Edited by Firemoth, Sep 13 2017 - 16:11.

Crimson_Saber #9 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8688 battles
Game is still fun for me :hiding:

GAJohnnie #10 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 9042 battles
  • [_BOT_] _BOT_

Easiest fix would be -1/+1 MM. If the MM went 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10 10-10 the game would be very much more balanced.

One thing the OP has right is the game use to be a lot more balanced. While still a tough foe the KV-1, for example, could be taken out by any other teir 5 tanks with a little careful game play. Starting with the Japanese Heavy line WG thur any thought of balance out the window to create  "giggle tanks of the month" for the special needs players. Why bother playing a game when your going to see an endless parade of clown  tanks that can one shot equivalent tier tanks while you need 7-10 penetrating hits to kill theirs? Tanks 1 teir down have a chance against the clown tanks, tanks 2 tiers down are simply wasting their time.

Da_Craw #11 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 16:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20851 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostGAJohnnie, on Sep 13 2017 - 09:35, said:

Easiest fix would be -1/+1 MM. If the MM went 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10 10-10 the game would be very much more balanced.

One thing the OP has right is the game use to be a lot more balanced. While still a tough foe the KV-1, for example, could be taken out by any other teir 5 tanks with a little careful game play. Starting with the Japanese Heavy line WG thur any thought of balance out the window to create  "giggle tanks of the month" for the special needs players. Why bother playing a game when your going to see an endless parade of clown  tanks that can one shot equivalent tier tanks while you need 7-10 penetrating hits to kill theirs? Tanks 1 teir down have a chance against the clown tanks, tanks 2 tiers down are simply wasting their time.

If WG would just ____, this game would be great.  BS.  Everyone has their pet want out of the game.  It inevitably is based on their particular playstyle.  Snipers want open maps with lots of cover.  Fast medium players want open 2km maps for "flanking."  Heavy tank players want gold ammo removed.  Arty players want a ham sammich.  No single change will "fix" the game.  The game isn't broken.  It is just getting old.

And I'm still having a blast, fwiw.

Edited by Da_Craw, Sep 13 2017 - 16:47.

Pipinghot #12 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 25826 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostEtroopEagelhorse, on Sep 13 2017 - 09:21, said:

you had to use gold to buy premium rounds

Which was bad. Premium rounds used to be a pay-to-win feature and now they're not, purchasing them only for gold is a bad idea.

and you could face tanks 4 tiers higher than yours

...which was less fun (for most players) than the current system with all classes having tanks at all tiers.

People use to learn the weak points on tanks and how to take them out and how to hide the weak points on their tanks

This hasn't changed, some people learn weak spots, some people don't, that has always been true. You're looking at the past with rose colored lenses if you think this used to be better.

players use to learn the maps and would watch the mini map to see where the enemy team was deploying

This also has not changed. You're forgetting how many people didn't do this "in the good old days" and you're imagining things have changed when they have not.

and if there were a bunch of mediums on a team even though they weren't in a platoon the would work together and swarm enemy tanks

It's starting to look like this is one big joke. People did not play any better in the past than they do now.

it was a team effort and when the team of 15 strangers worked together

Never. This game has always been 29-vs-1, then sometimes you get lucky and you find good teamwork in battles. The idea that people used to be better at working together is sheer nonsense.

and players watched out for and protected the artillery on their team

I really hope you're trolling, because if this isn't one big prank you have major memory issues.

It use to be a really fun game to play.  I know that world of tanks and wargamming can't control the people playing the game and can only stop some of the negativity in the game and they can't make people learn how to play the game well or even make them work together.  I do believe they can make this game fun again though;

The real problem is that you've played too many battles in too short of a time. The only thing that has really changed is you, your understanding and your perspective on the game.

One of the first things they need to do is new and better maps where you can play a heavy tank, light tank medium tank a tank destroyer or even a spg on a map and they all will have some place to go;

Ok, there's some truth to this, but sadly it's not going to happen. The other servers, where the population is much, much bigger than NA like the corridor meta with fewer options and more slugging it out. Here on the NA server we just have to accept that the maps in the game are not based on what NA wants, but on what the global population of players wants. It's not fun to think about, but it's true.

Next they need to quit pandering to weak players who don't bother to learn the game or how to play it;

Those "weak players" spend money too, their preferences are just as valid as yours. And, again, this is nothing new. The game has always been designed so that "weak players" can enjoy the game, because that's how a game company makes money. Any game that caters only to "strong players" is doomed to be niche game forever.

you need to spot letting these people from spamming premium round all the time

Premium ammo doesn't matter much when weak players are spamming it. They still miss & bounce a lot and they're still weak players, they shouldn't bother you at all. The only time premium ammo really matters is when it's used by good players who know exactly when to use it for maximum effect. A bad player spamming premium ammo is still a bad player.

The new game mode Grand Battle sounds really good but you only have a 10% chance of getting into one and only with a tier 10 this needs to be opened up so players have a better chance of getting into one and you need to make it available for different tiers as well, maybe tier 8 and 9 too.

Agreed, having a random chance of getting into a Grand Battle is pure garbage. It either needs to be opened up to more tiers or there needs to be a separate queue for Grand Battles.

What we don't need are more gimmicks or supper op tanks

Agreed. OP premiums are a problem, not a solution.

GeorgePreddy #13 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:19

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

View PostPeak_Bagger, on Sep 13 2017 - 12:08, said:

Wanna know how I make this game fun again? I load it up. Fun just happens.

Yeah, I know, I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it, but d*mn, I love this game!

Been here 5 years and have over 60,000 battles (of every kind and in more than 1 account)... I enjoy the game more with every passing year... so, keep playing, it could get even better for you, too.

Bytr #14 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7626 battles

View PostEtroopEagelhorse, on Sep 13 2017 - 07:21, said:

Next they need to quit pandering to weak players who don't bother to learn the game or how to play it; I know they have come out with all kinds of instructional videos and game modes but this does nothing really to help those players who don't really care about them other than to get the xp credits or other rewards for going through them;

I'm a pretty bad player and I'd like to get better even after watching videos and doing the low level training stuff.  Something that would help me would be a training mode where I could pick a tank, like one of the super heavies, and just shoot it for a while from different angles to see what pens and what doesn't using the tank and ammo I normally use in regular battles.  I understand the training rooms could be used for that sort of thing but it would be easier if I could do it on my own whenever.

( I think I'll post this in the suggestions forum )

Edited by Bytr, Sep 13 2017 - 17:21.

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:25

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
Pipinghot's post above is very much filled with truth and reality...

Uetur #16 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 20613 battles

It is amazing someone can remember the past so differently because I remember this game before the first big artillery nerfs and it was nothing like the OP described. 

Remember scouts were tier 5 tanks that saw tier 9/10.  Their guns were mostly useless (except the Chaffee) and all they had were small size and great speed.  They didn't actually have better view range than any other tank especially TDs and Medium tanks.  If you thought yolo scouts are bad now back then what would happen is in the first 2 minutes most of the scouts would die and whichever team had the remaining scout, that team won.  Maps were terrible, a TD could sit in one corner and have complete ability to fire across the map with max view range.  

​We didn't need gold rounds back in the day because HE was actually pretty useful.  Run into a tank you couldn't pen, fire HE.  It would kill crew, set them on fire, blow up ammo racks, do a little damage, etc.  There was a time where the M4 derp cannon had some of the best DPM in the game and it was a tier 5.  You don't want OP tanks, well then you don't want to go back to the past then because your tier 6 saw tier 9.  Ever try and pen a Maus with a tier 7 gun, lol.  Your KV1 hadn't been nerfed 2-3 times and at tier 5 could one shot other tier 5 down with amazing armor.  In fact the game was balanced around a lot of heavily armored tanks would take module damage easier which is why HE was effective. Pre-Nerf Hellcat, etc.  The game was all about OP tanks, they just didn't cost money.  

​You definitely had just one spot you went to on a map and the battles almost always revolved around that spot.  It was called a Rock and you hugged it for dear life because we had the accuracy that artillery has today with faster aim times and the old school one shot kill.  Certain maps would load and you would realize the game is going to end in a draw because no one can move and if you did a TD would spot you (btw TDs had the view range of a scout and a camo bonus as well) and then once lit up artillery and TDs would kill you in around 30s. 

Blucraft #17 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7679 battles

The game is still pretty fun to me.  I typically take a break when I stop enjoying it (I've taken some pretty long breaks).  IMO, it's much better now than when I started in 2011.

-Blu

Crimson_Saber #18 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8688 battles

View PostUetur, on Sep 13 2017 - 10:45, said:

It is amazing someone can remember the past so differently because I remember this game before the first big artillery nerfs and it was nothing like the OP described. 

Remember scouts were tier 5 tanks that saw tier 9/10.  Their guns were mostly useless (except the Chaffee) and all they had were small size and great speed.  They didn't actually have better view range than any other tank especially TDs and Medium tanks.  If you thought yolo scouts are bad now back then what would happen is in the first 2 minutes most of the scouts would die and whichever team had the remaining scout, that team won.  Maps were terrible, a TD could sit in one corner and have complete ability to fire across the map with max view range.  

​We didn't need gold rounds back in the day because HE was actually pretty useful.  Run into a tank you couldn't pen, fire HE.  It would kill crew, set them on fire, blow up ammo racks, do a little damage, etc.  There was a time where the M4 derp cannon had some of the best DPM in the game and it was a tier 5.  You don't want OP tanks, well then you don't want to go back to the past then because your tier 6 saw tier 9.  Ever try and pen a Maus with a tier 7 gun, lol.  Your KV1 hadn't been nerfed 2-3 times and at tier 5 could one shot other tier 5 down with amazing armor.  In fact the game was balanced around a lot of heavily armored tanks would take module damage easier which is why HE was effective. Pre-Nerf Hellcat, etc.  The game was all about OP tanks, they just didn't cost money.  

​You definitely had just one spot you went to on a map and the battles almost always revolved around that spot.  It was called a Rock and you hugged it for dear life because we had the accuracy that artillery has today with faster aim times and the old school one shot kill.  Certain maps would load and you would realize the game is going to end in a draw because no one can move and if you did a TD would spot you (btw TDs had the view range of a scout and a camo bonus as well) and then once lit up artillery and TDs would kill you in around 30s. 

That sounds terrifying, and hilarious at the same time.

HOTA_CHATON #19 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:10

Major

• Players
  • 12097 battles
  • [T0TS] T0TS
I have been here nearly 6 years and the only way I have fun is when I here the same fools who keep telling people like the OP how wrong he is and how right they are when they are the same people griping and complaining about certain features of this game.  Now that's what I call hypocritical and disingenuous.  OP, yes, the game was way more fun, back in the day than it is, most of the time now..

EtroopEagelhorse #20 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 49920 battles
  • [CRRS] CRRS
thank you all for your post

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users