Jump to content


Unicum Guide to Light Tank Tactics and Scouting

Light Tank Guide Tactics Scouting Unicum

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

taugrim #1 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:27

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

Light tanks have the highest “skill cap” of any class, as they are fragile, possess relatively weak guns, and have enough mobility to get the driver into trouble.

 

In this in-depth guide, we review common mistakes and break down effective tactics to help you understand how to play light tanks correctly.

 

 

What Bad Looks Like
1. Suiscouting / charging recklessly
2. Spawn camping
3. Spotting in areas where spotting can be done by anyone else
4. Overexposing your tank
5. Dumb brawling / poor trading

 

What Good Looks Like
1. Active scouting smartly
2. Getting early spots + damage
3. Leveraging intervening soft cover
4. Exploiting low-risk opportunities
5. Knowing when to flank
6. Knowing when to back off / run away
7. Keeping your cool when you have support
8. Beware of friendlies who'll get you killed
9. Playing with low HP

 

Recommended UI Options
1. Settings → General → Enable Expanded Minimap Features → Always: this tracks the last spotted location for every enemy tank
2. Settings → General → View range indicators on the Minimap: check all 3 checkboxes. The first shows the view range circle, which is how far your tank can spot. Note that doesn’t account for enemy camo. The second checkbox shows the max distance (445m) that any tank can theoretically spot. The third checkbox shows the max distance that you will render tanks that have been spotted by an ally

 

Recommended Equipment
1. For the vast majority of light tanks (aside from the ELC AMX), use Coated Optics
2. For the other 2 slots, typically you want one for gun handling (VStab or GLD) and the other for reload (Rammer). For autoloaders that can't mount Rammer, go with Vents
3. For light tanks around tier 5 that can't get to 445m view range with Optics and Situational Awareness, I have been experimenting with replacing Rammer with Binocs and having good results. This would be regarded as a controversial choice by other Unicums and I want to emphasize that I do this to help out-spot higher-tier tanks, not to sit stationary and be passive for long stretches of time

 

This video is part of my "Road to Unicum" series in which I share what I learned as I progressed towards account Unicum rating (top 1%) with silver ammo only. I talk through how I'm reading the battle as it unfolds and discuss key decisions and mistakes. My hope is that these videos meaningfully help players improve their gameplay.

 

"Road to Unicum" full guide and FAQs:
http://taugrim.com/2...-world-of-tanks

 

----------------------------------------------

 

P.S. this video was something I've wanted to do for a couple years - light tank gameplay is so nuanced - but I knew it would be a TON of work so I kept putting it off. It took several months to collect and catalogue the illustrative footage in the video, so I hope you find it helpful. I'm so relieved to finish it :)


Edited by taugrim, Sep 19 2017 - 06:23.


PoliticallyIncorrectName #2 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:35

    Captain

  • Players
  • 54375 battles
  • 1,135
  • Member since:
    03-21-2013

Unicum Guide to Light tanks:

 

Play Medium tanks.

 

 

 

/irony off



Mikosah #3 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 17:58

    Major

  • Players
  • 17475 battles
  • 2,982
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013
The funny thing is that I don't think the above two posts in this thread necessarily contradict one another. Taugrim's tutorial is spot-on, and yet most of the advice he provides is common sense tactics that are going to be relevant for any tank that has good mobility. You really could just apply the same techniques to mediums and probably end up doing better overall. 

taugrim #4 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:02

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostMikosah, on Sep 13 2017 - 16:58, said:

The funny thing is that I don't think the above two posts in this thread necessarily contradict one another. Taugrim's tutorial is spot-on, and yet most of the advice he provides is common sense tactics that are going to be relevant for any tank that has good mobility. You really could just apply the same techniques to mediums and probably end up doing better overall. 

 

This is true for the most part, but I do spot more aggressively in a LT than I would in a MT, and I push more aggressively in a MT than I would in a LT.



galspanic #5 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:09

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22205 battles
  • 2,989
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3
  • Member since:
    01-06-2016
I watched to see if I was one of your baddies.  Disappointed.

taugrim #6 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:16

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postgalspanic, on Sep 13 2017 - 17:09, said:

I watched to see if I was one of your baddies.  Disappointed.

 

Hah.

 

Hey, I was the baddie in some of those clips too.



Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #7 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:18

    Captain

  • Players
  • 62560 battles
  • 1,501
  • Member since:
    02-11-2012
Always found your videos helpful. Look forwards to watching this one later.

taugrim #8 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:24

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Sep 13 2017 - 17:18, said:

Always found your videos helpful. Look forwards to watching this one later.

 

Thanks.


This video is rather long - it's 39 mins. Usually I try to keep videos to 10 mins but for this topic there is soooo much to cover and do it justice.



NL_Celt #9 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 25040 battles
  • 5,291
  • Member since:
    10-05-2012
I'll check it out later.

moogleslam #10 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 18:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 27549 battles
  • 2,729
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013
Will watch.  Light Tanks are usually my favorite, and it frustrates me so much to have bad Light Tank players on my team, that I just want to give up whatever other class I'm in and play Lights so at least someone is doing it right.... but I'm sure I can learn a thing or two from you.  Looking forward to finding 39 minutes of free time :)

Vipsanius #11 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:43

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 25192 battles
  • 307
  • Member since:
    01-01-2013

Haven't watched the video yet, but I would add that becoming a unicum in light tanks depends primarily on how much damage you do.  Unfortunately, this is due to the way WN8 is calculated.  Spotting damage isn't taken into account at all.

 

If you want to be a good scout, I wouldn't focus on WN8 or trying to match Taugrim's stats.  Do damage when needed or when you can get away with it, but understand that providing vision and information is often your most valuable asset to the team.  If you do 0 dmg but 10k spotting, that's way more impressive than 1k dmg, 0 spotting and dead in the first 2 minutes.  I don't care what WN8 says.

 

Anyway, don't focus on the stats, but definitely listen to what he has to say.

 



Awestryker #12 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 19:54

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22656 battles
  • 1,959
  • Member since:
    01-15-2013

Not watched yet but I will !!

 

Honestly, I think medium tanks have a higher skill cap than lights...

With lights I can easily keep hidden when I want to (most of the time), and look for those opportunities to ambush as I want to, or not.

 

With mediums, I think you need to be much more in-your-face about things because of the loss of camo on movement. I guess what I mean is that in mediums you need to be more aggressive or more passive than in lights.

 

My only basses for saying that, is that I can usually kick butt in lights, but I usually suck in mediums lol...

 

 


Edited by Awestryker, Sep 13 2017 - 20:53.


YaYaOberchingus #13 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 20:29

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 15727 battles
  • 11
  • [4RTY] 4RTY
  • Member since:
    08-22-2016

View Posttaugrim, on Sep 13 2017 - 11:27, said:

This is my in-depth guide to mastering light tanks, with examples from many battles showing what good and bad light tank gameplay looks like.

 

 

 

 

This is extremely well done.  Very well put together, great attention to detail.  I learned a lot.  Thank you!



taugrim #14 Posted Sep 13 2017 - 21:18

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostVipsanius, on Sep 13 2017 - 18:43, said:

Haven't watched the video yet, but I would add that becoming a unicum in light tanks depends primarily on how much damage you do.  Unfortunately, this is due to the way WN8 is calculated.  Spotting damage isn't taken into account at all.

 

If you want to be a good scout, I wouldn't focus on WN8 or trying to match Taugrim's stats.  Do damage when needed or when you can get away with it, but understand that providing vision and information is often your most valuable asset to the team.  If you do 0 dmg but 10k spotting, that's way more impressive than 1k dmg, 0 spotting and dead in the first 2 minutes.  I don't care what WN8 says.

 

Anyway, don't focus on the stats, but definitely listen to what he has to say.

 

 

FWIW, I don't ever make videos where the focus is on farming damage, i.e. I don't play as a stat padder. The focus is always doing things in service of winning games.

 

That said, working in damage safely is very important for light tank players. Not because of WN8 or stats, but because you have a gun and should use it to weaken the opposing team.

 

There is a weird misconception in the community (not talking about you specifically) that dealing damage in a light tank is stat padding.

 

Also, the WN designers would have LOVED to add spotting damage to the WN formula, however spotting damage was introduced years after the game launched, and it's very difficult to define a formula that would be reliable given that.


Edited by taugrim, Sep 13 2017 - 21:31.


Awestryker #15 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 00:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22656 battles
  • 1,959
  • Member since:
    01-15-2013

Taugrim...could you do a garage crawl video for your light tanks that you play often...show gun choices and why, crew skills, equipment choices and why, etc.

 

Also, I just watched the video above...nice work / info...I learned some new passive spots ;)

 

Thanks!

 


Edited by Awestryker, Sep 14 2017 - 00:19.


taugrim #16 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 04:03

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostAwestryker, on Sep 13 2017 - 18:54, said:

Honestly, I think medium tanks have a higher skill cap than lights...

With lights I can easily keep hidden when I want to (most of the time), and look for those opportunities to ambush as I want to, or not.

 

With mediums, I think you need to be much more in-your-face about things because of the loss of camo on movement. I guess what I mean is that in mediums you need to be more aggressive or more passive than in lights.

 

My only basses for saying that, is that I can usually kick butt in lights, but I usually suck in mediums lol...

 

You may be playing your lights a bit too passively and your mediums a bit too aggressively. Mediums do spot very well, albeit not as well as light tanks (except at tier 10).


I looked up your stats and keep in mind that your 3 best tanks from a WN8 perspective are 2 OP premiums (Type 64 and 13 57F) and the magnificent T71. Not to take away your performance in those, but if you remove those from the pool, your performance between lights and meds is fairly comparable.

 

Most players tend to do better in meds over lights because meds are more forgiving: more HP, more armor, and better guns.

 

View PostAwestryker, on Sep 13 2017 - 23:17, said:

Taugrim...could you do a garage crawl video for your light tanks that you play often...show gun choices and why, crew skills, equipment choices and why, etc.

 

​If you watch the first 15 sec of any of my videos, you can see how I have the crew and equipment set up.


Cheers!

 

 


Edited by taugrim, Sep 14 2017 - 04:12.


Themutt36 #17 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 06:28

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20459 battles
  • 1,647
  • [DV] DV
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011
I am pretty bad at lights, hopefully taking some of these tactics will help me, Thank You!

Awestryker #18 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 14:07

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22656 battles
  • 1,959
  • Member since:
    01-15-2013

View Posttaugrim, on Sep 13 2017 - 22:03, said:

 

You may be playing your lights a bit too passively and your mediums a bit too aggressively. Mediums do spot very well, albeit not as well as light tanks (except at tier 10).


I looked up your stats and keep in mind that your 3 best tanks from a WN8 perspective are 2 OP premiums (Type 64 and 13 57F) and the magnificent T71. Not to take away your performance in those, but if you remove those from the pool, your performance between lights and meds is fairly comparable.

 

Most players tend to do better in meds over lights because meds are more forgiving: more HP, more armor, and better guns.

 

 

​If you watch the first 15 sec of any of my videos, you can see how I have the crew and equipment set up.


Cheers!

 

 

 

Don't forget my MT-25 with ~1500 battles...its not OP ;p...but I know what you mean...I know your not being negative...

In general, I think any of the better light tanks in the game can easily be OP with a decent driver...keeping camo while moving is an awesome ability...

 

As to the setups: I did watch those first minutes in the video, several times in fact, and changed some of my setups...thanks for that...but for some you showed, like the leopard I think, you did not have all the equipment loaded...just a thought for a future video...garage crawls...

 

 


Edited by Awestryker, Sep 14 2017 - 14:09.


RC_1140 #19 Posted Sep 14 2017 - 14:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 52076 battles
  • 1,112
  • [P2WIN] P2WIN
  • Member since:
    06-13-2013

View PostVipsanius, on Sep 13 2017 - 10:43, said:

Haven't watched the video yet, but I would add that becoming a unicum in light tanks depends primarily on how much damage you do.  Unfortunately, this is due to the way WN8 is calculated.  Spotting damage isn't taken into account at all.

 

If you want to be a good scout, I wouldn't focus on WN8 or trying to match Taugrim's stats.  Do damage when needed or when you can get away with it, but understand that providing vision and information is often your most valuable asset to the team.  If you do 0 dmg but 10k spotting, that's way more impressive than 1k dmg, 0 spotting and dead in the first 2 minutes.  I don't care what WN8 says.

 

Anyway, don't focus on the stats, but definitely listen to what he has to say.

 

When they aren't broken marks of excellence are a good way to measure progress in lights (or any class if you care about spotting). Personally I prefer to use MOE's plus wr over wn8, but I'm a big fan of scouting. 



taugrim #20 Posted Sep 15 2017 - 10:09

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20531 battles
  • 134
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostRC_1140, on Sep 14 2017 - 13:25, said:

When they aren't broken marks of excellence are a good way to measure progress in lights (or any class if you care about spotting). Personally I prefer to use MOE's plus wr over wn8, but I'm a big fan of scouting. 

 

I think both are useful gauges of skill in a tank. I love that MOEs count total damage contribution (damage + spotted damage). MOEs are working again as of yesterday :)





Also tagged with Light Tank, Guide, Tactics, Scouting, Unicum

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users